Superheroes are just cops with capes. Time to cancel...

tehpope

Wig Out | Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really hope after Wokeism finally crashes and burns we don't get a retarded retread of the Christian Right and instead get a renewed focus on individualism like in the mid 90s-2000s. Although with the way the 2010s and 2020 have been autistic retreads of the 60s and 70s so far I fully expect we're heading to the 1980s 2 electric boogaloo in a decade.
Its probably going to be an era of religion. Who knows if its Protestant or Catholic in nature. Hopefully it'll be a renewal of faith but without the trappings of the religious right. I'd wish for it to be a bit of individualism and faith. Both respecting each other and not belittling each other.

Syaoran Li

Manager of the Goth IHOP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Its probably going to be an era of religion. Who knows if its Protestant or Catholic in nature. Hopefully it'll be a renewal of faith but without the trappings of the religious right. I'd wish for it to be a bit of individualism and faith. Both respecting each other and not belittling each other.

This

Personally, I think it will be more Catholic in nature due to a mix of both an increasing Latino population and because the Protestant sects are too disgraced and in decline. The Episcopal Church is too pozzed by woke leftism and the Evangelical sects have this stigma by association with the Religious Right of the Reagan and Bush years.

Even with the Catholic Church's many scandals, they're not tainted by the old Religious Right like the Protestants are.

The Evangelical Protestants being the most vocal advocates of Young Earth Creationism, the Satanic Panic, and the core underpinning of the Religious Right has more or less damned them in the eyes of the wider public, and the fact that the most meme-worthy of the Religious Right (Jack Chick, Bill Schnoebelen, Bob Jones University, Westboro Baptist Church) were all staunchly anti-Catholic is also a point in favor of this second Christian revival being a Catholic-led one as opposed to the Protestant-led one from the final decades of the 20th Century

Uranus Pink

kiwifarms.net
I know everyone's been getting tired of capeshit and the MCU, but I don't think anyone could've foreseen the potential end to it all with Disney now having to face down the double-barrel of ire against the very people they've wanted to pander to just because of the "COPS ARE BAD" mantra going on right now. 2020 just has not been anyone's year, has it. :story:
2020 been boom year for popcorn and liquor sellers.

Scarlett Johansson

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall, China-hating lesbian.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I seem to recall Ultimate!Nat murdering Hawkeye's family in the most gruesome way possible.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really hope after Wokeism finally crashes and burns we don't get a retarded retread of the Christian Right and instead get a renewed focus on individualism like in the mid 90s-2000s. Although with the way the 2010s and 2020 have been autistic retreads of the 60s and 70s so far I fully expect we're heading to the 1980s 2 electric boogaloo in a decade.

It could happen, but I also wonder if the future equivalent of the Religious Right might be white supremacists, white supremacy is probably here to stay and will only get more popular.

ditto

kiwifarms.net
second Christian revival being a Catholic-led one as opposed to the Protestant-led one from the final decades of the 20th Century
I doubt it will happen with the current Pope.

One advantage the catholic church has is that it's very, very hard to change dogma, which saves it from the whims of the moment.
white supremacy is probably here to stay and will only get more popular.
White supremacy is a meme forced by the left so they have an enemy to fight.

Syaoran Li

Manager of the Goth IHOP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I doubt it will happen with the current Pope.

One advantage the catholic church has is that it's very, very hard to change dogma, which saves it from the whims of the moment.

White supremacy is a meme forced by the left so they have an enemy to fight.

From what I understand the current Pope is widely disliked by most traditionalist Catholics and the majority of Third World Catholics tend to be trad, plus I've heard rumors online that he's also widely disliked among the College of Cardinals and while internet rumors are always to be taken with a heap of salt, I honestly would not be surprised if that rumor was actually true.

If we do see a backlash against Woke Leftism in the United States, I could see a Catholic-themed reboot of the Religious Right later on, especially if Pope Francis dies or retires before 2030.

The Evangelicals and the Epsicopalians/Anglicans are turbo-fucked, the former for being too conservative (in the redneck neocon sense of the word) and the latter for being too liberal

I really hope Movie Bob stumbles across this.

As do I.

The question is will he have a massive stroke or coronary, will he renounce his love of Marvel to endear him to the leftists, or will he just do a complete 180 and become a dreaded "chud" and go full Comicsgate

CatParty

Boo
Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Eliana Dockterman, who covers all things culture and feminism for Time Magazine, recently wrote an article in which she criticizes the conservative values shared by many of America’s most popular superheroes. Reflecting on how the civil rights movement has inspired the Hollywood system to rethink its representations of cops, she suggests the superhero genre could follow suit.

A reflection of society’s strongest cultural sub-currents, the film industry was quick to ally itself with the protesters. In the month that passed since the death of George Floyd, an African American victim of racially-motivated police brutality, execs have cancelled pro-cop programs like Cops and Live PD while dozens of celebrities used their wealth to either silence BLM critics or donate money to charities. According to Dockterman, however, this might only be the prelude to an even more extensive entertainment overhaul.

“As we engage in this long overdue conversation about law enforcement,” she writes, “it’s high time we also talk about the most popular characters in film, the ones who decide the parameters of justice and often enact them with violence: superheroes.”
Given that most classic superheroes were created by straight, white men, it’s not so surprising that they were designed to be straight, white men as well. But although heroes like Batman and Superman have been typically been portrayed as light-skinned, that trend is already changing rapidly.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, for example, featured an African American main character, while a fairly recent Wonder Woman comic strip writer reinvented Steve Trevor as an interracial, homosexual couple. And that’s not even talking about live-action blockbusters like 2018’s Black Panther or the upcoming Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

As some of these aforementioned titles go to show, race and sexuality can be changed on a whim. But another remnant of the patriarchal culture in which these personalities were created, one that is much more difficult to erase because it affects the structure of the entire plot, is their relation to law enforcement.

“With a few notable exceptions,” Dockterman explains, “most superhero stories star straight, white men who either function as an extension of a broken U.S. justice system or as vigilantes without any checks on their powers.”
As she points out, superheroes often have a complicated relationship with law enforcement as, while they’re often talked about as standing outside anyone’s jurisdiction, they frequently collaborate with government organizations. The Avengers, for instance, take their orders from S.H.I.E.L.D., while Batman frequently teams up with GCPD Commissioner Gordon.

Superman is perhaps the best illustration of Dockterman’s argument. From the moment he was created, the character has been styled as a personification of western values. Frequently associated with the American nation, he essentially functions as not only a helper of but also a mouthpiece for the U.S. government, a role which is becoming more and more problematic as faith in that government wanes.

Lonely Grave

they're being sarcastic
kiwifarms.net
Another day, another episode of white guilt-tripping over fictional characters.

Wonder when the French are gonna cancel Asterix for being white.

Hollywood Hitler

Little pig, little pig, let...me...in!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If these people hate white men so much they can just move to one where there aren't any. Seriously, those countries are such poor shit holes that you could live like a king for the rest of your life on $10,000