Supernatural Fandom -

Iron Hamster

Days DSP has waited for Twitch apology: 22
kiwifarms.net
Thank God it’s finally ending. SPN has the third worst fandom I’ve ever read about, if you exclude sportstards, religious, and political fandoms.

Has anyone actually watched the latest seasons to see what happens? How much more painfully bad has it gotten and how much more have they tortured the main characters?
They ran out of ideas 2 seasons ago which would have been a pretty cool homage to the show ending on season 13.
Can't believe they just kicked Crowley to the curb essentially.

Troonologist PhD

kiwifarms.net
They ran out of ideas 2 seasons ago which would have been a pretty cool homage to the show ending on season 13.
Can't believe they just kicked Crowley to the curb essentially.
I think they ran out of ideas long before then. This is stupid since they have all of world myth, folklore, legends, religion, occultism, and public domain to mine but they’re the most creatively bankrupt and lazy writers I’ve ever watched. They’re also beholden to fujos if they want to make a profit.

What happened post-s13?

QuokkaCaptain

The happiest of all the marsupials
kiwifarms.net
Supernatural is very similar to the original Dallas where no matter what details changed slightly the basic A plot is the same year after year and the main characters make the same mistakes for the same reasons over and over again .

Honestly, that's why i stopped watching years ago.

There's only so many times you can see the same problems get played out over and over and over, and the characters make the same dumbass mistakes over, and over, and over, before you stop caring. The show also suffered from "Kill A Character And Bring Them Back"-itis. A character dies once, and comes back? Emotional, if you pull it off right. Fifteen characters die and are sporadically brought back across the series? it takes all of the suspense and emotion out of it because you know they're coming back.

The fandom was a big part of it too. On Tumblr in 2013-2015, the SuperWhoLock dominance was being overcome by the SJW shit, and Supernatural suffered from a huge influx of Morality Police coming in to tell you how wrong everything was with everything, but especially the shows you like. Everyone was expected to bow before the altar and confess their fandom sins, and a lot of people ended up walking away from show and fandom both because they weren't into it.

bonitoflakeprincess

sys failure
kiwifarms.net
I think they ran out of ideas long before then. This is stupid since they have all of world myth, folklore, legends, religion, occultism, and public domain to mine but they’re the most creatively bankrupt and lazy writers I’ve ever watched. They’re also beholden to fujos if they want to make a profit.

What happened post-s13?
every time the SPN offical facebook would post about upcomming season, or post about season finale. I would keep saying there needs more jaldabaoth. I guess I'll just have to say it's Chuck.

Begemot

This is a land of wolves now.....
kiwifarms.net
Coming back into this thread, I guess. I recall watching a recent episode of SPN and Ackles just looked so tired. Like the type of tired that death won't fix. He looked like he didn't give a toss.

I know the feeling.

I've got all the episodes of supernatural on 1 of my streaming services but I just can't be bothered to get back in to season 10 where I left off. As others have said, it's a series of repetitions. Chuck as God would have been cool earlier but now that everyone has been brought back there's no point to the original 5 seasons. If their mother isn:t dead then there's no point to their struggle. Really.

Also kind of weird that a show that kind of started as a male fantasy became taken over by toxic sjw 'fujoshis' as a Fandom.

Iron Hamster

Days DSP has waited for Twitch apology: 22
kiwifarms.net
Billy the former demon is now Death and wants God and Amara (now fused) eliminated so she can rule the universe.Jack was suppose to by the supernatural 'bomb' to do it. They brought back Charlie for the obligatory lesbian relationship with a black woman temporarily. Castiel is now gone after proclaiming his love for Dean. Had something to do with him having to find his 'happiness' but was taken out by the ether or whatever that purgatory space is. This also took out Billy. Can't believe they never brought back Crowley.

Sourceress

chaotic neutral
kiwifarms.net
There's a lot of sperging about this on my Tumblr right now (yes, I use Tumblr in 2020). What did they do that was so wrong?
As a former Supernatural fan (who fucked off around season five when it went to shit), I might be able to translate.

Early in the season, Castiel (dude in the trenchcoat who is potentially?* gay) was trapped in what SamTheEagle so aptly calls Super Hell (basically a void-space with a consciousness residing within it), and the way he got out was to make a deal with the consciousness that he would instantly be deported back to Super Hell if he ever experienced true happiness. Or something. I didn't watch it, but I read stuff.

Anyway, in the scene Castiel confesses his love to Dean (constipated looking dude) which will send him straight back to Super Hell because he's just so happy to tell Dean that he loves him even if it's not at all reciprocated (which is being seen as quite offensive and tone deaf, not least because confessing your gay love for someone you think is straight is usually horrifying, not something that makes you happy) and somehow this saves Dean from a thing, I think? I lost the plot at this point and nobody is talking about anything but that one scene so it's hard to tell what else was going on.

So basically the biggest issue is that killing off a character immediately after making it clear that they're gay is a HUGE homophobic no-no. Media has a massive history of killing off gay characters - it's referred to as Bury(ing) Your Gays - and it is often used in media to demonstrate homophobic ideas (that gays don't "get to" be happy, that gays should be punished with death for homosexuality, etc). In this case, sending Castiel basically to the worst Hell ever described on the show is a pretty clear message: If you're gay, you go to Hell. Pretty obvious homophobia.

There's also the fact that this is how they capped off a good ten solid years of what the fandom considers "queerbaiting" - that is, they've been teasing the relationship between Castiel and Dean basically since Castiel showed up in season four, encouraged by the fans who love the pairing, and then they end it with a "love confession" where the kind of love that is meant isn't even stated and Dean has zero reaction whatsoever. It's a pretty nasty way to pay back the fans that basically kept the show alive for ten years past the expiration date.

I think there's more to it and to people's complaints, but that's kind of the basics.

Personally, while the homophobic "bury your gays" bullshit always infuriates me, I think the most offensive part about the whole thing is the terrible acting. Jensen (Dean) could have been replaced with one of those life-sized standees and no one would have been the wiser, and Misha (Castiel) was overselling it so much it was truly cringeworthy and felt like he was parodying his own lines. But to be honest, I'm not sure how anyone can still take the show seriously after they pulled a season of "the boys versus god" immediately followed by "oh shit we ran out of stakes wait what if it was the boys versus god's evil sister who is totally scarier and more powerful than him!"

(Also, I'm really not sure how anyone is complaining when Supernatural has literally been homophobic as shit all along. Like, the entire time. Anyone else remember Corbett? No? Just me?)

* They really don't make it super clear that he meant romantic love, so this is pretty up in the air. Even when they're being homophobic on Supernatural, they're being extra homophobic by making it clear what they want the fans to understand in a scene but being too cowardly to take it all the way.