Supporting the Forum

• t.me/kiwifarms is our Telegram for downtime and announcements.
    • The .is domain is disabled due to issues with the CDN and having multiple domains.

In the Dollhouse

kiwifarms.net
Just want to clarify that while I appreciate that the Gumroad is for the podcast on a separate legal entity and I can't give any rewards for it on the forum
It ok, thanks for worrying about it but I am doing it to help keep this place and keeping you afloat means keeping this place afloat so as long as the money reaches you I am happy, I don't need a shinny badge

Last edited:

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
It's related to half of them being 100mb per minute because people can't/won't encode them properly.
yeah in the featured thread Tom actually followed instructions and they're each 12mb and load perfectly. People being fat fucking MORONS exploiting my 200MB file upload limit to waste my fucking resources and upload shit that doesn't fucking work is going to kill the fucking site.

cummytummies

kiwifarms.net
It's related to half of them being 100mb per minute because people can't/won't encode them properly.
Undeniably true, but plenty of them are ripped straight from 4chan with strict file size limits of 2-6mb depending on the board, and still stop buffering completely after 8 seconds.

cummytummies

kiwifarms.net
No, I'm sorry, that's just not true. There is something wrong with how the forum software handles .webm files.

Now I know beggars can't be choosers and we're glad to have the board up at all with the DDoS attacks and limited funding yadda yadda, that's a given. I know that. I'm not issuing an ultimatum. But any time I try to play a 2MB .webm file it freezes only a few seconds in. mp4 files of equal size on the other hand play just fine.
I've tried different browsers, even different operating systems, it's always the same. I experience no issues on other websites playing webm files.

I really wish I didn't have to consider converting files to .mp4 before posting them just to avoid everyone ignoring the post due to playback difficulties. I had to go through that charade back when I still tried keeping up appearances and messaging normies on Whatsapp. I would assume it would be a point of pride not to steep as low as Whatsapp.

AnOminous

I hated Woody Woodpecker and Scooby-Doo.
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really wish I didn't have to consider converting files to .mp4 before posting them just to avoid everyone ignoring the post due to playback difficulties. I had to go through that charade back when I still tried keeping up appearances and messaging normies on Whatsapp. I would assume it would be a point of pride not to steep as low as Whatsapp.
What's wrong with mp4s? I prefer them to plebms anyway.

cummytummies

kiwifarms.net
What's wrong with mp4s? I prefer them to plebms anyway.
Nothing inherently, it's just that there's a large overlap in subject matter between this site and 4chan, and 4chan enforces webms. They're both fine file formats in their own right, but being forced to re-encode files to share memes is another unpleasant extra step. Personally I have the procedure pretty well optimized, but I would assume most users can't (or won't) easily re-encode each funny video they see and will opt to either not upload them at all or upload them in the original format which this site fails to play.

AnOminous

I hated Woody Woodpecker and Scooby-Doo.
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nothing inherently, it's just that there's a large overlap in subject matter between this site and 4chan, and 4chan enforces webms. They're both fine file formats in their own right, but being forced to re-encode files to share memes is another unpleasant extra step. Personally I have the procedure pretty well optimized, but I would assume most users can't (or won't) easily re-encode each funny video they see and will opt to either not upload them at all or upload them in the original format which this site fails to play.
4chan kind of fucked that up originally because mootles insisted on having only no-audio plebms, so the format got a bad reputation because why the fuck would you even have video without audio? It's the video that eats all the bandwidth!

cummytummies

kiwifarms.net
4chan kind of fucked that up originally because mootles insisted on having only no-audio plebms, so the format got a bad reputation because why the fuck would you even have video without audio? It's the video that eats all the bandwidth!
Be that as it may, I'd simply prefer a platform that plays all files and formats without taking any sides on which one's the best.

Kosher Salt

(((NaCl)))
kiwifarms.net
Psh. Call me when you've got to convert from WebP to mp4.

cummytummies

kiwifarms.net
Psh. Call me when you've got to convert from WebP to mp4.
I already quarantine all files downloaded from KF to a separate folder to process them through the dreaded WebP filter before releasing them to greener pastures with the rest of the memes.

Kosher Salt

(((NaCl)))
kiwifarms.net
I already quarantine all files downloaded from KF to a separate folder to process them through the dreaded WebP filter before releasing them to greener pastures with the rest of the memes.
Converting images from WebP to other image formats is easy, converting animations from WebP to video formats like mp4 is a pain.

Bender

I am not a threat. I'm an idiot.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's too many steps for lazy people like me. I just force my nan to download any images and videos I want to keep so the cops won't come after me, they'll arrest/shoot her instead.

Yellow Sink Disease

I'm cultured in the nuts.
kiwifarms.net
Feel free to rate me poorly and/or directly me elsewhere but how do we get T&H after donating? I donated a while ago and sent Null a DM with the confirmation number (or transaction number or whatever) but never heard anything. The DM appears to be gone (lost in one of the db glitches perhaps?) and I certainly don't mind donating again but I would love to get access to the rest of the reactions.

Kosher Salt

(((NaCl)))
kiwifarms.net
Feel free to rate me poorly and/or directly me elsewhere but how do we get T&H after donating? I donated a while ago and sent Null a DM with the confirmation number (or transaction number or whatever) but never heard anything. The DM appears to be gone (lost in one of the db glitches perhaps?) and I certainly don't mind donating again but I would love to get access to the rest of the reactions.
DM threads are purged after 30 days of inactivity.