Supporting the Forums -

• Stinky Indonesians are trying to spam the forum with ad placement links. If you see a post containing inline links or direct link placements to what seem like commercial products, only somewhat related to the thread, please report it. Fake passports/documents and brand name clothing like shoes seem common.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Probably a dumb idea, but has the option of tier rewards been considered? I know it's controversial, but I'd wager there are people who really love this site and who could be willing to donate generously in the interest of its continued operation. I'd be willing to kick in if I have a little extra cash regardless, but even something as simple as a trophy or something for the people who support it more frequently might be useful to maintaining future contributions. I know that sounds like a shill job, and I wouldn't recommend anything major. The Kickstarter model is the wrong way to go, just some form of minor perk for the diehard supporters. The cover photo thing is a good example of this.
Just an idea. I love this site and would hate to see it go. Tiered incentives for regular contribution might help keep to things running as opposed to one-time donations. Having even a small group of people willing to contribute as little $5 a month seems like it could really help keep things running smoothly.
I don't have a way to distribute rewards, really. Being a supporter does only a few things.

- Gives you access to 3 ratings that can easily be substituted with 'free' ones.
- Gives you access to a subforum that is mostly off-topic but a bit cliquish.

Like, how do I level this out? If I was going to be greedier, I would look adding more cosmetics. For instance, in NoXiousNet, a Gmod host that made their own mods I really liked, the guy who owned it allowed people to spend $2.50 on a vanity card. You could apply this to yourself and get a fancy name, or apply it to someone else and give them a fancy name. You'd have to wait at least 2 weeks before removing a namecard

Problem with that is it clutters up the site. I try to keep shit real fucking clean. People don't have signatures, there's no author information on the left-hand side besides username and title, lucky charm icons are fade-out until you hover over them to see what they are. I enjoy this kind of asthetic. There's no noise, and making it so I could make Connor's name rainbow and give him the title card "FAT WHINY FAGGOT" kind of diminishes that glamour. Facepunch also does something like this and I really, really don't like it.

The alternative is to lock away features so that only people who pay can use them. This causes two additional issues.
- People who don't want to pay are instantly upset by this. As a child I grew up playing f2p MMOs and I know that feel too well.
- I am then required to provide a superior level of service and support for those features. I don't advertise the fact I will allow supporters a @kiwifarms.net email address because I fucking suck as a mailhost and I've had to reformat the mailserver like 4 times in a year in a half. If I start saying, "Hey, this awesome feature is for you if you support the forum", then I must make sure that that feature operates well enough that it is worth paying for, and that is called a "job". I don't want the forum to become my job.

I kind-of like how it is now. It's pretty quaint and it's done its job; the forums are almost completely self-sustaining right now. If I made it so that you could opt in to contribute more per month on top of the 1-time payment with no additional award, I believe a few veteran users would do that (and it would probably be worth it), but considering the forum's instability at the moment I do not feel it is appropriate to ask for more money.

In short, I have an immense reverence for finances and I consider asking people for payments something that requires a serious level of thought and care.

Last edited:
H

HG 400

kiwifarms.net
I don't have a way to distribute rewards, really. Being a supporter does only a few things.

- Gives you access to 3 ratings that can easily be substituted with 'free' ones.
- Gives you access to a subforum that is mostly off-topic but a bit cliquish.

Like, how do I level this out? If I was going to be greedier, I would look adding more cosmetics. For instance, in NoXiousNet, a Gmod host that made their own mods I really liked, the guy who owned it allowed people to spend $2.50 on a vanity card. You could apply this to yourself and get a fancy name, or apply it to someone else and give them a fancy name. You'd have to wait at least 2 weeks before removing a namecard

Problem with that is it clutters up the site. I try to keep shit real fucking clean. People don't have signatures, there's no author information on the left-hand side besides username and title, lucky charm icons are fade-out until you hover over them to see what they are. I enjoy this kind of asthetic. There's no noise, and making it so I could make Connor's name rainbow and give him the title card "FAT WHINY FAGGOT" kind of diminishes that glamour. Facepunch also does something like this and I really, really don't like it.

The alternative is to lock away features so that only people who pay can use them. This causes two additional issues.
- People who don't want to pay are instantly upset by this. As a child I grew up playing f2p MMOs and I know that feel too well.
- I am then required to provide a superior level of service and support for those features. I don't advertise the fact I will allow supporters a @kiwifarms.net email address because I fucking suck as a mailhost and I've had to reformat the mailserver like 4 times in a year in a half. If I start saying, "Hey, this awesome feature is for you if you support the forum", then I must make sure that that feature operates well enough that it is worth paying for, and that is called a "job". I don't want the forum to become my job.

I kind-of like how it is now. It's pretty quaint and it's done its job; the forums are almost completely self-sustaining right now. If I made it so that you could opt in to contribute more per month on top of the 1-time payment with no additional award, I believe a few veteran users would do that (and it would probably be worth it), but considering the forum's instability at the moment I do not feel it is appropriate to ask for more money.

In short, I have an immense reverence for finances and I consider asking people for payments something that requires a serious level of thought and care.

Let people buy their enemies emails and IP for an extra 20 bills.

edit ; and an infodump of all their private message for 30.

A

AP 297

kiwifarms.net
Let people buy their enemies emails and IP for an extra 20 bills.

edit ; and an infodump of all their private message for 30.

Oh my god, the dox threads that exist in that extremely exclusive $30 forum are incredible. There are threads there that would blow peoples minds.

Also Dyna, I probably should not mention this here, but I hear(I won't confirm) there is a thread about you on the Platinum forum. They have pictures...

OBAMATRON

Commander in/or Chief
kiwifarms.net
I'm not going to give you anything.

If you use my website and the privileges earned by supporting to harass me, my staff, and my users, I will revoke your privileges. If you weren't completely lifeless with infinite capacity for making alt accounts, I'd ban you as well. Even Foulmouth, A-Stump, and John Crowley eventually learned when they aren't welcomed.
I offered to settle this. It seems you'd rather pout like a baby.

DuskEngine

watermelon seller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Would you give me supporter benefits if I donated to infinitydev? PayPal is an asshole about Indian accounts.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
I offered to settle this. It seems you'd rather pout like a baby.
I don't know how many different ways I can tell you "you're not getting your money back". You gave me $20 a year ago and had access to these things for months. To come back now and try to start a fuss over that money when it's been allocated to server expenses is pathetic and transparent. There is nothing to settle.

Would you give me supporter benefits if I donated to infinitydev? PayPal is an asshole about Indian accounts.
If you'd like. Attribute the donation to "DuskEngine" and PM me when it's done. Just be aware that these donations do not go into the forum piggybank and go into my piggybank.

DuskEngine

watermelon seller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just be aware that these donations do not go into the forum piggybank and go into my piggybank.

Is there any difference between the two (your own budgeting decisions notwithstanding)?

AnOminous

とても可愛い
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Problem with that is it clutters up the site. I try to keep shit real fucking clean. People don't have signatures, there's no author information on the left-hand side besides username and title, lucky charm icons are fade-out until you hover over them to see what they are. I enjoy this kind of asthetic.

I enjoy this "not sucking up all my computer's resources." Xenforo is kind of a pig as it is, and with an older computer, my "go to New Posts and open every single thread I'm remotely interested in in a new tab" method of reading would be less tenable on my older machines.

Less is more.

DNJACK

Part of the EDF communauty
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember when Null asled me why I didn't donate to the farms. I was "banned" a couple days later.
Just because someone pays for a privilege, doesn't mean it can't be taken away. If you act like a bitch, you're going to be treated like one.
You're such a fag. When you don't wan't to deal with someone it's the least of things to cut the ties clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.