T-Mobile Metro stores sell used phones as new, charge “fake taxes,” NYC says -

Club Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
blackberry direct sales offers the phone plus an "activation stub" that let's you port your number to any service you like. while it's not the cheapest option, there's no obfuscation. you buy the phone, or you lease the phone. leases work like car leases in that at the end of the lease you either keep the phone, or turn it in for a new phone on a new lease.

the stub activation lets you roam on pretty much any cellular network at any time (setting, network, change network), and allows calls/text/data on those networks. wifi will also allow these functions without any cell service. so while it's not the most convenient, a blackberry that you can easily and painlessly swap to any network you like is very handy. the client networks still require a valid SIM, however prepaid ones work just as well as normal ones.

while more people i work with (customers/contract holders) use their personal devices and have work stuff forwarded to them, a lot of government contracts stipulate no-cameras, so there are services that convert iphones and the like to remove cameras and recording software from the phones. blackberries are common though, as are specific panasonic and nokia phones.

NumberingYourState

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I had to ditch Walmart's T-Mobile network due to increasingly bad reception at home and due to the payment system always being down.

In general networks suck ass, but I went with Cricket just to get away from a website that is always down. I'm sure I am gonna get burned in some ways due to their "simple to understand" sloganeering, if anyone can share with me any jank about their service I would care to hear.

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Can confirm T-Mobile is shit. I've tried numerous times to give them my new address only for their website to break mysteriously every time and their customer service taking ages to connect me to someone.
I'm sure they all suck, to be fair.

I'm not an Amuurican but I have had very good experiences recently with a ~$25USD Android 8 Go burner phone. It's nice and responsive to use with opensource apps from F-Droid. The only real problem with it is that it doesn't let you use a microSD as app storage, just for media files, and doesn't have a lot of external storage. This is something that's worth testing with any new cheap phone. Really if you're doing anything online nowadays from a mobile device you should at the very least be using a burner constantly connected to a VPN to protect your privacy.

It would be good if we had a primer somewhere here about good US burner options.

FluffyTet

A friggin' weeb. Not Tomba.
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I had to ditch Walmart's T-Mobile network due to increasingly bad reception at home and due to the payment system always being down.

In general networks suck ass, but I went with Cricket just to get away from a website that is always down. I'm sure I am gonna get burned in some ways due to their "simple to understand" sloganeering, if anyone can share with me any jank about their service I would care to hear.
Their service is fine, ATT actualy gives cricket features before GoPhone gets em.
Just don't work for them. Ever.

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

Cata-mount dat ass.
kiwifarms.net
I'm sure they all suck, to be fair.

I'm not an Amuurican but I have had very good experiences recently with a ~$25USD Android 8 Go burner phone. It's nice and responsive to use with opensource apps from F-Droid. The only real problem with it is that it doesn't let you use a microSD as app storage, just for media files, and doesn't have a lot of external storage. This is something that's worth testing with any new cheap phone. Really if you're doing anything online nowadays from a mobile device you should at the very least be using a burner constantly connected to a VPN to protect your privacy.

It would be good if we had a primer somewhere here about good US burner options.
No phone will let you use MicroSDs for apps. Apps have to run off core storage. It's an Android thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: thx1138

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No phone will let you use MicroSDs for apps. Apps have to run off core storage. It's an Android thing.
? This doesn't sound right to me. At the very least previous phones have allowed me to use the SD card for the storage associated with apps, if not move them over entirely. This Go burner didn't. Only real downside TBH. Noone needs an HD screen or a 720p camera with a non-plastic lens, that's what TVs and DSLRs are for.

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

Cata-mount dat ass.
kiwifarms.net
? This doesn't sound right to me. At the very least previous phones have allowed me to use the SD card for the storage associated with apps, if not move them over entirely. This Go burner didn't. Only real downside TBH. Noone needs an HD screen or a 720p camera with a non-plastic lens, that's what TVs and DSLRs are for.
There are some kinds of app data that can be shunted onto the MicroSD IIRC but I don't even remember my shitty old Samsung T599 letting me run apps off MicroSD. Even my old sliders and flips (the ones that even had MicroSD slots) wouldn't do it IIRC and I don't think they even ran Android proper.

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There are some kinds of app data that can be shunted onto the MicroSD IIRC but I don't even remember my shitty old Samsung T599 letting me run apps off MicroSD. Even my old sliders and flips (the ones that even had MicroSD slots) wouldn't do it IIRC and I don't think they even ran Android proper.
It's definitely always been there for many phones. I guess this was just the first one I didn't have the option on. I suppose I need to start shopping for only easily rooted burner phones.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/move-android-apps-to-sd-card,news-21279.html

kcbbq

No controlling legal authority
kiwifarms.net
How would anybody know? There is quite literally still a tax on everyone's phone bill to pay for the Spanish American War.
Still paying for it and we didn't even bother keeping the Philippines. That, at least, could have been a moneymaker. But here we are stuck with the money sink that is Puerto Rico.

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

Cata-mount dat ass.
kiwifarms.net
Also, regarding Cricket - they might be one of the better prepaids, but that's not saying much. I've had to fight tooth and nail with their incompetent CSRs to ensure that their system stops booting me off autopay for zero valid reason (and thus robbing me of the 5 dollar monthly refund). And I do mean INCOMPETENT CSRs. They couldn't port a number from my old phone, claimed it was T-Mobile's fault. You can guess what T-Mobile said. Still, there should have been absolutely no issue, as I had my account #, PIN, all of it, and I had never had an issue porting a number before Cricket.

Reactions: 3119967d0c

MightyBiteySnake

Ouroboros, BITCH!
kiwifarms.net
Saying the couple of random $2 charges thrown into your bill every month is "taxes" is the guy at the phone store's way of saying "im just a salesman, call customer service dummy"

That said i woudnt be surprised if there was actual foul play going on with the "tax" charges

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Still paying for it and we didn't even bother keeping the Philippines. That, at least, could have been a moneymaker. But here we are stuck with the money sink that is Puerto Rico.
Don't follow your reasoning.

I, personally, find Puerto Rican prostitutes far more appealing than Philippino ones. A tax on prostitution or just income in general in Puerto Rico would capture a lot more of my income indirectly than one in the Philippines.

Saying the couple of random $2 charges thrown into your bill every month is "taxes" is the guy at the phone store's way of saying "im just a salesman, call customer service dummy"
Yeah, some of the subcontinentals in this case went JUST A BIT beyond that.

Mrs. Vashti Anais Wagner went to Metropolitan Wireless Anandpur to buy a $599 phone. 'Nadin' at Anandpur rung up a manual receipt for a more expensive phone, then added another phone, then added at least two more SIM cards than required, then tagged on a charge for a 'scrren protecter' (which probably came with the phone), then added an item for tax, then let the registar calculate tax as normal.

Then 'Nadin' set her up with a SmartPay contract with an invalid email address (interesting that that is even possible, thanks SmartPay).

It is also alleged that 'Nadin' didn't tell this woman that she was actually leasing 'her' phaone rather than buying it on some sort of hire purchase thing.
1568233528885.png

Last edited:

kcbbq

No controlling legal authority
kiwifarms.net
Don't follow your reasoning.

I, personally, find Puerto Rican prostitutes far more appealing than Philippino ones. A tax on prostitution or just income in general in Puerto Rico would capture a lot more of my income indirectly than one in the Philippines.
Puerto Rico has no real amount of natural resources beyond "well, there might be some oil somewhere", the Philippines has quite a bit going for it - precious metals and other minerals and oil, for example. Why exploit just the people when you can exploit the land, too?

There's a reason Puerto Rico has been in economic depression for well over a decade.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino