Ta-Nehisi Coates to write new Superman movie produced by JJ Abrams for Warner - "What does the N stand for?"

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
Shouldn’t Abrams be considered box office poison by this point?
No, he's one of the biggest moneymakers for Hollywood.
The stuff he makes isn't very good but it definitely makes money.

As for black Superman:
Are they really saying "NO" to the Chinese market?
Even a movie as bad as Justice League made over $100 million in China and I don't think that will happen with a black lead.
Them yellow peoples don't like darker skin tones that much.
Then again, with these streaming services having more and more subscribers and getting a guaranteed sum of money every month (right now, HBO Max is making almost $600 million per month), maybe China is no longer a necessity.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
No, he's one of the biggest moneymakers for Hollywood.
The stuff he makes isn't very good but it definitely makes money.

does he tho? star trek and star wars as franchises are pretty much dead, in huge part thanks tho his involvement.
I don't think even hollywood is that stupid to miss that cause & effect

As for black Superman:
Are they really saying "NO" to the Chinese market?
Even a movie as bad as Justice League made over $100 million in China and I don't think that will happen with a black lead.
Them yellow peoples don't like darker skin tones that much.
Then again, with these streaming services having more and more subscribers and getting a guaranteed sum of money every month (right now, HBO Max is making almost $600 million per month), maybe China is no longer a necessity.

600 million per month vs all the shit they have to produce per month. for now they might have stuff in the back catalog they can whore out, just like netflix did, but at some point people want new stuff, and 600 mill is still not enough to blow it on 2-3 movies each month.

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
does he tho? star trek and star wars as franchises are pretty much dead, in huge part thanks tho his involvement.
I don't think even hollywood is that stupid to miss that cause & effect
As a director, he never had a bomb, all his movies made money, TFA made over $2 billion
He had a few missteps as a writer but he also wrote some really big movies like Michael Bay's Armageddon.
He's also a producer (more so than anything else in Hollywood) and some of his stuff, both movies (Cloverfield franchise, Mission Impossible franchise) and TV shows (Fringe, LOST, Westworld) have been huge money makers with great ratings.
Hollywood doesn't care about the quality of your work, just about the profits, that's why the Transformers franchise only ended when the money stopped coming.

600 million per month vs all the shit they have to produce per month. for now they might have stuff in the back catalog they can whore out, just like netflix did, but at some point people want new stuff, and 600 mill is still not enough to blow it on 2-3 movies each month.
It might not be enough but HBO Max has only been around for 8 months and they already have 40 million subscribers, give them time.

Starscreams Cape

Read my posts in his voice
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If WB want to do a black Superman movie just do a Icon movie, you fuckers own Milestone Media characters so start to use them if you really care about diversity
I don't think you're understanding their motive. They want to take away a white character and replace him with a black one. That's the extent of it.

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Inb4 Darkseid is a racist intergalactic cop and steps on Superman's throat after Supes bounces a space-check high on purple kryptonite.

I know the real reason, but if they want a black superhero why can't they just give Cyborg or John Stewart a movie. Nobody cares about Steel. Or worse not a figurative black Superman but a literal blackwashed Clark Kent.

The Valeyard

kiwifarms.net
I know the real reason, but if they want a black superhero why can't they just give Cyborg or John Stewart a movie.
Cyborg was going to get a movie, but Ray Fisher (who played him in Justice League) fucked it up by continuing to talk shit about Walter Hamada and Warner Bros. after his win against Joss Whedon.

Oats12345

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Cyborg was going to get a movie, but Ray Fisher (who played him in Justice League) fucked it up by continuing to talk shit about Walter Hamada and Warner Bros. after his win against Joss Whedon.

Also he refused to say Cyborgs catch phase claiming it was racist. Sucks that he had to be a winy Bitch