Tabletop Community Watch -

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
It's impressive how you managed to make x-cards and the 5 page 'respecting player' corebook tangents were the author presumes the role of a gm is trauma therapist/insectional workshop as redundant in three paragraphs.

I treat my players as human adults who can communicate verbally and respect them enough to talk with them as human adults.

X-cards and the like assume that the DM is just someone that spit out story lines and all the players children and no one knows how to talk to each other in a social environment, doesn't understand human boundaries, and doesn't respect the individual and their desires. This is the basic tenets of Social Justice Warriors, woke brigades, and Authoritarianists: Do as I say, not as I do. Blind obedience is the name of the game and if you are not obeying the will of the Oppressed you are of course Evil and must be Banished.

I pity people who have played with X-cards, safe spaces, and books that tell you how you MUST treat people. These are people who have something very broken in their personal history that they need to force correction on the world by and they don't give a damn who gets caught in their wake of righteous "justice".

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
I treat my players as human adults who can communicate verbally and respect them enough to talk with them as human adults.

X-cards and the like assume that the DM is just someone that spit out story lines and all the players children and no one knows how to talk to each other in a social environment, doesn't understand human boundaries, and doesn't respect the individual and their desires. This is the basic tenets of Social Justice Warriors, woke brigades, and Authoritarianists: Do as I say, not as I do. Blind obedience is the name of the game and if you are not obeying the will of the Oppressed you are of course Evil and must be Banished.

I pity people who have played with X-cards, safe spaces, and books that tell you how you MUST treat people. These are people who have something very broken in their personal history that they need to force correction on the world by and they don't give a damn who gets caught in their wake of righteous "justice".
This is the weirdest thing for me. For decades, RPG players have been made fun of as socially awkward and autistic. But this new crop of woketards, the soymen and dangerhairs who claim to be in tune with social mores and claim to be good at dealing with people, are just... far more autistic in their complete inability to communicate in a way that doesn't generate grievances.

Like, if the GM has stated that their campaign will have X, Y and Z themes, and these themes are dealbreakters to you, why the fuck are you still there? Seriously, this ideology doesn't protect autists and/or oppressed minorities, it creates them.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
This is the weirdest thing for me. For decades, RPG players have been made fun of as socially awkward and autistic. But this new crop of woketards, the soymen and dangerhairs who claim to be in tune with social mores and claim to be good at dealing with people, are just... far more autistic in their complete inability to communicate in a way that doesn't generate grievances.

Like, if the GM has stated that their campaign will have X, Y and Z themes, and these themes are dealbreakters to you, why the fuck are you still there? Seriously, this ideology doesn't protect autists and/or oppressed minorities, it creates them.

Because THEY are the "oppressed" and YOU must change to suit THEM. You as the DM must serve them, that is the only acceptable way for they are Right in All the Things and you must Obey.

The only reason there are grievances is because people like us REFUSE to kowtow to bullshit hypocrisy and want to play the make believe fantasy games how we want to play them and not defined by a set of social rules implemented by people who don't know me nor my table.

Agarathium1066

My sense of balance is busted.
kiwifarms.net
Because THEY are the "oppressed" and YOU must change to suit THEM. You as the DM must serve them, that is the only acceptable way for they are Right in All the Things and you must Obey.

The only reason there are grievances is because people like us REFUSE to kowtow to bullshit hypocrisy and want to play the make believe fantasy games how we want to play them and not defined by a set of social rules implemented by people who don't know me nor my table.
This line of thinking, the GM being some sort've chained to the table story-slave, is the biggest destroyer of motivation when dealing with new people in any tabletop or even non-tabletop RP situation. It's so exhausting that it makes everyone extremely cagey about running anything.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
This line of thinking, the GM being some sort've chained to the table story-slave, is the biggest destroyer of motivation when dealing with new people in any tabletop or even non-tabletop RP situation. It's so exhausting that it makes everyone extremely cagey about running anything.
I think this is also feeding this current mentality that anything from the GM that could be even remotely construed as "railroading" is immediately worse than Hitler. Even if it's just the GM asking the player characters to, you know, not spend their time whoring and going on random lone tangents instead of actually getting on with the plot.

Like... okay, I don't like it when the GM is blatantly forcing our characters to do things we wouldn't normally do... but it's still the GM's story. As players we need to cooperate with that. That's what RPGs are, it's cooperative effort. Even if the GM is technically playing "against" us while controlling the NPCs and designing the encounters, he's doing it from a position of trying to maximize everybody's enjoyment of it, his own included. This attitude of demanding maximum freedom from the GM is terrible for newcomers (both players and GMs), because while it might look like the guys at Critical Role are going on a wild tangent Matt was not prepared for... it's fucking scripted. The tangent was the plan. But most newbies don't realize that, and they expect the GM to be ready and willing to play out every stupid idea that spawns out the players' brains.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
I think this is also feeding this current mentality that anything from the GM that could be even remotely construed as "railroading" is immediately worse than Hitler. Even if it's just the GM asking the player characters to, you know, not spend their time whoring and going on random lone tangents instead of actually getting on with the plot.

Like... okay, I don't like it when the GM is blatantly forcing our characters to do things we wouldn't normally do... but it's still the GM's story. As players we need to cooperate with that. That's what RPGs are, it's cooperative effort. Even if the GM is technically playing "against" us while controlling the NPCs and designing the encounters, he's doing it from a position of trying to maximize everybody's enjoyment of it, his own included. This attitude of demanding maximum freedom from the GM is terrible for newcomers (both players and GMs), because while it might look like the guys at Critical Role are going on a wild tangent Matt was not prepared for... it's fucking scripted. The tangent was the plan. But most newbies don't realize that, and they expect the GM to be ready and willing to play out every stupid idea that spawns out the players' brains.
Critical Role is something I absolutely hate seeing because it's so goddamn fake and forced. The opening scene to Stranger Things Season 1 is more true to D&D than anything on that youtube hackery or Big Bang Theory (which is cancerous).

Yes it gave rise to more people being interested in TTRPGs and sets their expectations to ridiculous levels that are challenging to meet.

Flaming Insignias

Now joined by another proper noble.
kiwifarms.net
Critical Role is something I absolutely hate seeing because it's so goddamn fake and forced. The opening scene to Stranger Things Season 1 is more true to D&D than anything on that youtube hackery or Big Bang Theory (which is cancerous).

Yes it gave rise to more people being interested in TTRPGs and sets their expectations to ridiculous levels that are challenging to meet.
You know, I find it really awkward being a new tabletop player in the current era. I've been interested for years and had only just started due to never being able to find a group as a full-time student in a very rural town. However, I cannot stand a lot of the "Quirky" newcomers who started mostly because they watched CritRole or Stranger Things and wanted to follow the leader. I started out of love for fantasy and RPGs, but now I feel I'm stuck being compared to those locusts because I was late to the party.

Love_Machine011

We go for the eyes. Then the tongue. Then the hand
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know, I find it really awkward being a new tabletop player in the current era. I've been interested for years and had only just started due to never being able to find a group as a full-time student in a very rural town. However, I cannot stand a lot of the "Quirky" newcomers who started mostly because they watched CritRole or Stranger Things and wanted to follow the leader. I started out of love for fantasy and RPGs, but now I feel I'm stuck being compared to those locusts because I was late to the party.
Its as easy as not being a spergy faggot, and putting the work in.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
I'm OK with people being interested as long as they are like you and put in the work. Lazy folks who just want to roll the dice and think they will be Legolas in LOTR fighting the Demogorgon and expect the DM to have 1001 voices is setting their expectations ridiculously high and will be completely disappointed in what the average DM does: a competent job and an evening of fun.

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
I'm OK with people being interested as long as they are like you and put in the work. Lazy folks who just want to roll the dice and think they will be Legolas in LOTR fighting the Demogorgon and expect the DM to have 1001 voices is setting their expectations ridiculously high and will be completely disappointed in what the average DM does: a competent job and an evening of fun.
Precisely this. I do voices for my characters when I can, but usually just to differentiate them or make them stick better if they're super important (also to signal when I'm IC or OC when playing). But I mostly play with GMs that don't and I can still have an enjoyable game. What newbies need to realize is it's important for us to help make the game fun too, especially for the GM who's decided to run the show.

Wallace

Cram it in me, baby!
kiwifarms.net
Precisely this. I do voices for my characters when I can, but usually just to differentiate them or make them stick better if they're super important (also to signal when I'm IC or OC when playing). But I mostly play with GMs that don't and I can still have an enjoyable game. What newbies need to realize is it's important for us to help make the game fun too, especially for the GM who's decided to run the show.
One of the core rules of improv is that the way to make yourself look good is by making the other people look good. You get back proportional to what you give. A lot of zoomer CR kids don't get this.

Agarathium1066

My sense of balance is busted.
kiwifarms.net
One of the core rules of improv is that the way to make yourself look good is by making the other people look good. You get back proportional to what you give. A lot of zoomer CR kids don't get this.
Proper tabletop or even more freeform roleplay people never get this, they expect you to roll out a fine velvet carpet & then tell them in exhaustive levels of all its details.

Is there a post in this thread explaining how Warmahordes shat the bed recently or does anyone have any info on that? I got into it for a short while and played a few games only to find its presence shrinking exponentially in my LGS.

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
Proper tabletop or even more freeform roleplay people never get this, they expect you to roll out a fine velvet carpet & then tell them in exhaustive levels of all its details.

Is there a post in this thread explaining how Warmahordes shat the bed recently or does anyone have any info on that? I got into it for a short while and played a few games only to find its presence shrinking exponentially in my LGS.
What do you mean by recently? I played all through Mark 2 but after their non-playtested Mark 3 where they made Protectorate and Trollblood unplayable and basically let Khador and Circle run even more wild than before I haven't been paying attention.