Tabletop Community Watch

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
Whoever wrote that used to get shoved into lockers by pocket protector wearing Battletech geeks.
As a BattleTech geek (no pocket protectors, I carried a pencil case), I feel I should be offended by that. On the other hand, I would absolutely shove these losers into a locker in high school if I had the chance.

REMEMBER TO INCLUDE DIVERSITY AND DON'T REVISIT TROPES!
"HAVE THE FOES PLAY DEAD AND RETURN TO LIFE WHEN THE PC'S THINK THEY'RE SAFE, LIKE EVERY MOTHERFUCKING SLASHER MOVIE FUCKING EVER AND EVER AND EVER!"
If anyone ever needed any kind of proof that the "writers" of this shit never actually read any Ravenloft material beyond the bare minimum, it's this. I don't know of any Ravenloft party or group that didn't become appropriately paranoid five minutes into the first session. The foes wouldn't be able to "play dead", when the first thing a party of adventurers in Ravenloft does after rifling through all the available pockets for loot is to cut off the corpses' heads and then burn them all in a pyre.

Just playing Ravenloft for more than two sessions is enough to avert tropes, because the player characters will be wise enough to not fall for them. That's the big thing an interactive game can provide that a book or a TV show can't.

Really, this isn't Ravenloft. This is a plagiarized copy of Ravenloft done so shoddily they didn't even bother to file off the serial numbers and instead released it as if it's the genuine article. It's a 300lb serial killer wearing Ravenloft's skin and trying to put on its voice.

Last edited:

Inquisitor_BadAss

Been that bitch. Still that bitch.
kiwifarms.net
Really, this isn't Ravenloft. This is a plagiarized copy of Ravenloft done so shoddily they didn't even bother to file off the serial numbers and instead released it as if it's the genuine article. It's a 300lb serial killer wearing Ravenloft's skin and trying to put on its voice.
Maybe that should be the villain of the campaign? A greasy neck beard who brands quotes from horror and fantasy fiction into his skin for every kill they make.

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
The frustrating thing is ravenloft already has fuck tons of diversity and commentary. Theirs fluff on spooky voodoo lands, Indian subcontinent, China, Japan and so on. Its already a deep rich world and thats before you get into the persecuted minority tropes everywhere.. You've got a diversity golden goose and you having dragon kin fuck the bird in the arse-the fuck are you doing?
Better yet just fucking bring back al-qadim!

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The frustrating thing is ravenloft already has fuck tons of diversity and commentary. Theirs fluff on spooky voodoo lands, Indian subcontinent, China, Japan and so on. Its already a deep rich world and thats before you get into the persecuted minority tropes everywhere.. You've got a diversity golden goose and you having dragon kin fuck the bird in the arse-the fuck are you doing?
Better yet just fucking bring back al-qadim!

People have been bitching about the Vistani for years (I'll never understand why, of all the "problematic" racial groups to fixate on, an early choice was gypsies, of all things). Beyond that, horror itself is something the woke mindset just can't grapple with. I also have a sneaking suspicion the people responsible for this are simply illiterate about the original source material, whether you're talking Universal monsters or Gothic fiction.

I mean, they gender swapped the Dr. Frankenstein expy. One of the major themes of any Frankenstein story is the inherent unnatural sin of a man creating life without a woman. There's a whole thesis to be written about why so many stories of this nature involve a pair of men creating the monster, dating at least to Bride of Frankenstein. Think about how incredibly problematic that notion is to these fuckheads, and you start to see why they are completely unequipped to do this setting.

Fictional Character

kiwifarms.net
People have been bitching about the Vistani for years (I'll never understand why, of all the "problematic" racial groups to fixate on, an early choice was gypsies, of all things). Beyond that, horror itself is something the woke mindset just can't grapple with. I also have a sneaking suspicion the people responsible for this are simply illiterate about the original source material, whether you're talking Universal monsters or Gothic fiction.

My experience is that Americans tend to hyperfocus on gypsies, since they never had to interact with one. It's a safe cause to champion and get self-righteous about without having to learn anything or do any thinking.

I mean, they gender swapped the Dr. Frankenstein expy. One of the major themes of any Frankenstein story is the inherent unnatural sin of a man creating life without a woman. There's a whole thesis to be written about why so many stories of this nature involve a pair of men creating the monster, dating at least to Bride of Frankenstein. Think about how incredibly problematic that notion is to these fuckheads, and you start to see why they are completely unequipped to do this setting.

The real horror of Frankenstein is patriarchal Dark Powers oppressing a strong woman in STEM. It certainly does not have anything to do with hubris and playing God or Mary Shelley trying to find her own footing in relation to two men she immensely respects and loves, but whose ideology she absolutely can't accept.

Shaka Brah

Patriotic Ass-Blasting Poster
kiwifarms.net
Also, the goblins don't use bows or slings anymore, but instead attack by shouting the wrong pronouns at the PCs.
In some new adventure module (either for D&D or PF I forget now) it mentions that if you body-shame a succubus after resisting their charm spell you deal psionic damage to them. Same thing right?

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
My experience is that Americans tend to hyperfocus on gypsies, since they never had to interact with one. It's a safe cause to champion and get self-righteous about without having to learn anything or do any thinking.
Oh, trust me, the few that have loathe them. My younger brother almost got stolen by some gypsy bitch in a fucking retail store, good thing he was a squirmy little bastard and my mom wasn't afraid to kick some gypsy ass.

Hell, I lifeguarded in a few places with them and as bad as the nogs could be with their bullshit I had to make sure everything was locked because the one time I didn't the gypsy fuckers stole pool shock! What use could they possibly have for dry concentrated chlorine?! /end powerlevel

Flaming Insignias

Ferdie's Back, and I'm in Love!
kiwifarms.net
Oh, trust me, the few that have loathe them. My younger brother almost got stolen by some gypsy bitch in a fucking retail store, good thing he was a squirmy little bastard and my mom wasn't afraid to kick some gypsy ass.

Hell, I lifeguarded in a few places with them and as bad as the nogs could be with their bullshit I had to make sure everything was locked because the one time I didn't the gypsy fuckers stole pool shock! What use could they possibly have for dry concentrated chlorine?! /end powerlevel
It’s telling when people don’t talk much about how gypsies were sent to Hitler’s Summer Camp, mostly because that would likely be treated as a plus for the regime by the average Euro.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
Talking about Ravenloft specifically, the Vistani being gypsy-expies is extra-relevant.

In the Dracula novel (you know, one of the seminal works of the horror genre), the Count had Szgany under his employ. Who are the Szgany, you may ask? They're Roma. AKA, Gypsies. Gypsies have been part of the gothic horror playbook since the beginning. And really, the only Roma who care about this shit are the ones that settled down, the ones that are often not even considered Roma by the still nomadic Roma.

Fictional Character

kiwifarms.net
It’s telling when people don’t talk much about how gypsies were sent to Hitler’s Summer Camp, mostly because that would likely be treated as a plus for the regime by the average Euro.

It's also because there's a significant contingent of people who start screaming about 'anti-Semitic dogwhistles' whenever anyone mentions that the Nazis wanted to genocide more people than just the Jews.

Jet Fuel Johnny

Full Metal Sperg
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bet if you did a female villain or a black/Hispanic bad guy, these people would shit bricks.

Not a Stronk Empowered Womyn, but some vile Elizabeth Bathory in a castle shit with the PC's out to save a kid she's going to bathe in, they'd shit bricks that she was just whatever is equivelent to a Dark Powers VI 5th Level Aristocrat.

MaskedHussar11

Ridin' down 'tards ain't easy, son.
kiwifarms.net
The Hololive EN crew are starting up a Hunter: The Vigil game for their channels.
Hololive TTRPG.png

It will be DM'd by Cali, who has seems to have DM'd before, which is a good sign.
Based Mori.png

However, I think this series will implode, and potentially be worse than CR, for a few reasons.

Firstly, for all the faults of the CR crew, they were experienced Entertainers from a the entertainment industry, and they had a competent DM with years of experience to steer them in the right direction. However, Cali's GMing is likely less skilled due to the fact that she will have spent most of her time working in Japan, both on her music and her various jobs.

However, the main issue would be the difficultly of reigning in the excesses of her players. I'm not a Holosimp, and don't follow these girls much outside of to laugh at them on The Other Farm, but from what I can see from what YouTube blasts on my recommended, this will be the first time any of them will have to be held on track by an authority figure, and I can envision that coming of the rails due to the girls air-headed personas.

As for the players, the girls simply aren't all that talented. Mori has her niche rap music, and Ina has her art, but other than that, the girls are very bland, can hardly stay in their industry mandated characters, nevermind a character within a character. Really their only universal talent is branding (read: being an Anime Avatar), and they will often rely very heavily on essentially being sexy to entertain, rather than good improv or talent.

Additionally, I doubt very much that outside of Mori (who may only like TTRPG's for the Aesthetic, which would explain why she went with a WoD property) any of the other girls care about, much less played, an RPG. I think that will lead to a lack of passion from the girls, and would result in a great deal of tangents and going off-script just because they're bored. The CR players may just be milking the show for money, but at least they have industry professionalism to somewhat mask that.

I think that lack of passion will often lead to a great deal of rules mess ups and long pauses to figure out what to do, which is sensible for a group on their own, but these are entertainers who have to keep a narrative and gameplay moving. One of the complaints of CR is the constant mess ups of the rules, and I think that will apply here too.

But, I think the real entertainment will come from the simps themselves. Their chat is comprised of the most possesive and thirsty Simps you have ever seen, and they will frequently backseat game whenever their queens seem to be encountering the slightest difficulty, and this issue is often compounded by the fact that the Holo chat are very un-modded, only one mod or so for hundreds and thousands of viewers. An example of one of the thirsting/backseat drivers seen below.
HoloLive is so Innocent, right.png

These are the turbo-autists who will regularly reeeee at their Queens when ever they won't comply with their compulsive need to order their actions. And who had screaming fits when a Holostaffer gave them joke in game items in Minecraft, stating that it was ruining the game. In almost every TTRPG series I've watched there is always some degree of backseat gaming and frustration with player actions, and I can only see that being magnified here where the problem has already frustrated some of the girls (namely Sachi/Amelia).

That said, I don't see much of a mass exodus into the hobby like with CR and their tumblrites. The VHookers tried to do an ERP once, and that didn't go anywhere, so their fans may simply consume the content, and move on when the series ends after 4-5 episodes. Simps never really get all that invested in what their queen is ever doing, outside of the fact that their queen is doing it. However, I don't understand weebs, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Regardless, I have high hopes for the shitstorm that will inevitably be kicked up!
Buckle Up, Kids!.jpg

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
The Hololive EN crew are starting up a Hunter: The Vigil game for their channels.
View attachment 2201034

It will be DM'd by Cali, who has seems to have DM'd before, which is a good sign.
View attachment 2201039

However, I think this series will implode, and potentially be worse than CR, for a few reasons.

Firstly, for all the faults of the CR crew, they were experienced Entertainers from a the entertainment industry, and they had a competent DM with years of experience to steer them in the right direction. However, Cali's GMing is likely less skilled due to the fact that she will have spent most of her time working in Japan, both on her music and her various jobs.

However, the main issue would be the difficultly of reigning in the excesses of her players. I'm not a Holosimp, and don't follow these girls much outside of to laugh at them on The Other Farm, but from what I can see from what YouTube blasts on my recommended, this will be the first time any of them will have to be held on track by an authority figure, and I can envision that coming of the rails due to the girls air-headed personas.

As for the players, the girls simply aren't all that talented. Mori has her niche rap music, and Ina has her art, but other than that, the girls are very bland, can hardly stay in their industry mandated characters, nevermind a character within a character. Really their only universal talent is branding (read: being an Anime Avatar), and they will often rely very heavily on essentially being sexy to entertain, rather than good improv or talent.

Additionally, I doubt very much that outside of Mori (who may only like TTRPG's for the Aesthetic, which would explain why she went with a WoD property) any of the other girls care about, much less played, an RPG. I think that will lead to a lack of passion from the girls, and would result in a great deal of tangents and going off-script just because they're bored. The CR players may just be milking the show for money, but at least they have industry professionalism to somewhat mask that.

I think that lack of passion will often lead to a great deal of rules mess ups and long pauses to figure out what to do, which is sensible for a group on their own, but these are entertainers who have to keep a narrative and gameplay moving. One of the complaints of CR is the constant mess ups of the rules, and I think that will apply here too.

But, I think the real entertainment will come from the simps themselves. Their chat is comprised of the most possesive and thirsty Simps you have ever seen, and they will frequently backseat game whenever their queens seem to be encountering the slightest difficulty, and this issue is often compounded by the fact that the Holo chat are very un-modded, only one mod or so for hundreds and thousands of viewers. An example of one of the thirsting/backseat drivers seen below.
View attachment 2201125

These are the turbo-autists who will regularly reeeee at their Queens when ever they won't comply with their compulsive need to order their actions. And who had screaming fits when a Holostaffer gave them joke in game items in Minecraft, stating that it was ruining the game. In almost every TTRPG series I've watched there is always some degree of backseat gaming and frustration with player actions, and I can only see that being magnified here where the problem has already frustrated some of the girls (namely Sachi/Amelia).

That said, I don't see much of a mass exodus into the hobby like with CR and their tumblrites. The VHookers tried to do an ERP once, and that didn't go anywhere, so their fans may simply consume the content, and move on when the series ends after 4-5 episodes. Simps never really get all that invested in what their queen is ever doing, outside of the fact that their queen is doing it. However, I don't understand weebs, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Regardless, I have high hopes for the shitstorm that will inevitably be kicked up!
View attachment 2201154
Waaaaaaay too much baseless speculation there, buddy. Let's wait for the shit to start smelling before predicting which blades it's going to smear the hardest when it hits the fan, shall we? Otherwise you just sound like an a-log.

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
WoD is probably the worst property for them to play, and Hunter is a close second to Changeling as something that won't translate well to an online series with a silly tone. But if they handle the tone well that'd be very interesting. Normies need to learn that non-D&D properties exist.
Normally this would be a hard disagree, but caging the normies in with the type of spergs who play WoD is something I view as a net positive. It's like gatekeeping without the gatekeeping!

Captain Hastings Official

"Good Lord..."
kiwifarms.net
Normies need to learn that non-D&D properties exist.

No they don't. Normies stay out ree, etc.

Normally this would be a hard disagree, but caging the normies in with the type of spergs who play WoD is something I view as a net positive. It's like gatekeeping without the gatekeeping!

:thinking:

Shaka Brah

Patriotic Ass-Blasting Poster
kiwifarms.net
I thought of that after I posted. Normally getting the people who watch hololive involved in a niche tabletop that I enjoy would negatively impact me, but I realized that, on balance, WoD is being run by crazy people and I think making anime avatar people go to a game like that could only bring up its quality by offending the people who ruined the game in the first place. It can't go any lower than the cringe nWoD 2e stuff.