Tabletop Community Watch

Jet Fuel Johnny

Full Metal Sperg
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Reminder that the war on DnD was due to a single cunt who blamed her son's suicide on the game, even though he did it because he had gay thoughts that he knew she would've violently rejected him if he admitted to them. And that she was the main and pretty much only person bitching and complaining on all the shows that would've accepted her. Basically this one idiot is responsible for all the bleating and honking you heard and got repeated.
Patricia Pulling.

Then that fucking Tom Hanks movie based on the book "Mazes and Monsters", which was a fictionalized version of what happened to the Puling kid.

Stackpole did a full takedown of her.

She was actually working for the FBI at one point. She's where a lot of the 'cult' data they have comes from.

An 80's Karen who was in denial that her son was gay.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
Patricia Pulling.

Then that fucking Tom Hanks movie based on the book "Mazes and Monsters", which was a fictionalized version of what happened to the Puling kid.

Stackpole did a full takedown of her.
Wait, did he? I never heard of that. Where can I read it?

LORD IMPERATOR

kiwifarms.net
That's a long-ass list of bullshit. The 80s were great, but they had their fair share of nutbags. And the fact that the religious right in America took this woman seriously goes to show that they were more driven by fear than by genuine faith.

Which is why I laugh when someone takes a potshot at that kind of hysteria:

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
That's a long-ass list of bullshit. The 80s were great, but they had their fair share of nutbags. And the fact that the religious right in America took this woman seriously goes to show that they were more driven by fear than by genuine faith.

Which is why I laugh when someone takes a potshot at that kind of hysteria:

The religious right were such nutbags in the 80s and early 90s that the progressive left uses them as a bogeyman to this day, even though they're currently about as toothless as a septuagenarian frog that's lost its dentures.

It does make sense, though. The progressive left is as much as nutbag cult as the religious right ever was. And cults hate competition.

LORD IMPERATOR

kiwifarms.net
The religious right were such nutbags in the 80s and early 90s that the progressive left uses them as a bogeyman to this day, even though they're currently about as toothless as a septuagenarian frog that's lost its dentures.
Not just the left, but even the alt-right and libertarians use them as boogeymen, too. They were that hated and made so many foes that even many anti-leftist people today see the religious right as an enemy. But hey, many people with genuine faith saw them as an enemy too, especially when they appropriate religious language for their rather secular aims. I mean, if you actually do believe in God, then not only would you not be scared by silly things like board games and violent media, but you'd also get pissed if your God is being used as a battering ram for some idiot's social causes.

It does make sense, though. The progressive left is as much as nutbag cult as the religious right ever was. And cults hate competition.
Of course, there's less saps for them to recruit when other cults are running around.

Last edited:

Capsaicin Addict

Now see here you little shit.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I had a printed copy of the Pulling Report; I wanted to bring it to DragonCon one year that Stackpole was there, so he'd sign it.

I dunno if Pulling's son was gay. But judging from Stackpole's analysis of Mrs. Pulling's actions, my guess was that he had mental issues, she was in denial about them, and it simply got to be too much for him. After his death, she went round the bend, trying to find something, ANYTHING else to take the blame, and latched onto D&D as the culprit.

What really chaps me is that her 'cult expertise' was so laughable it bespeaks an appalling lack of wisdom on behalf of law enforcement that they didn't circular-file everything this loony woman sent them.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
What really chaps me is that her 'cult expertise' was so laughable it bespeaks an appalling lack of wisdom on behalf of law enforcement that they didn't circular-file everything this loony woman sent them.
Cults were a very high-profile thing at the time, and no one really had much expertise on them. Remember that Pulling's son killed himself only four years after Jim Jones Kool-Aided his cult to death in Guyana. Heaven's Gate hadn't yet killed themselves but they were active in the late 80s and they weren't the only kooky cult going on.

Add to it the subcultures popping up all over the place that appropriated macabre imagery (a ton of very successful NWOBHM bands, for example), New Age movements denouncing the "restrictive" tenets of Christianity, as well as magazines and newspapers spreading rumors in order to sell copies, and it was simply a matter of there being so much bullshit flying around that most people wouldn't really tell what was really going on. It was the perfect environment for a moral panic.

Last edited:

Tactical Wizard

Explosiomancer
kiwifarms.net
I had a printed copy of the Pulling Report; I wanted to bring it to DragonCon one year that Stackpole was there, so he'd sign it.

I dunno if Pulling's son was gay. But judging from Stackpole's analysis of Mrs. Pulling's actions, my guess was that he had mental issues, she was in denial about them, and it simply got to be too much for him. After his death, she went round the bend, trying to find something, ANYTHING else to take the blame, and latched onto D&D as the culprit.

I don't know if Bink Pulling was gay. Dallas Egbert III certainly was, however.

LORD IMPERATOR

kiwifarms.net
Cults were a very high-profile thing at the time, and no one really had much expertise on them. Remember that Pulling's son killed himself only four years after Jim Jones Kool-Aided his cult to death in Guyana. Heaven's Gate hadn't yet killed themselves but they were active in the late 80s and they weren't the only kooky cult going on.

Add to it the subcultures popping up all over the place that appropriated macabre imagery (a ton of very successful NWOBHM bands, for example), New Age movements denouncing the "restrictive" tenets of Christianity, as well as magazines and newspapers spreading rumors in order to sell copies, and it was simply a matter of there being so much bullshit flying around that most people wouldn't really tell what was really going on. It was the perfect environment for a moral panic.
This is why America needed its own secular version of the Inquisition to look into this shit. The FBI should have been ideal, but they proved to be inadequate. I'm not calling for people to be burnt at the stake, but we do need an organization that can look into these subcultures and movements and understand them from a perspective not tarnished by unstable, emotional zealots.

But on topic, the Inquisition, aside from rooting out heresy, had the task of understanding whatever the heretical or deviant cults were up to, or what they believed in. They were sent out to try and understand the difference between Waldensians and Cathars, or Lutherans and Calvinists. After all, to defeat your enemy, you must know them, not just the way they act in public, but their beliefs, their culture, and dare I say it, their art and ethos.

A thorough investigation into the D&D phenomenon would have revealed that it was just a harmless board game played by bored nerds who have little else to do in the era before video games. A similarly thorough investigation could have revealed the truth about Jim Jones and his cult before they committed involuntary euthanasia with poisoned Kool-Aid. They could have also revealed the truth about these New Age movements and subcultures to the public, showing what they believed, the kind of culture and art they partake of in their communities, and why they're not that big a deal or that much of a threat. Most of their leaders are babbling fools with some shred of ancient knowledge that they took to a different direction, and the majority of their followers are bored idiots who were tired of the same Sunday School stuff that WASPs usually undertook.

In short, the situation before the moral panic of the 80s required people who can think with a clear head and understand those who thought differently than they did, just as the Inquisition in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance had to understand the different heresies of their day and what the difference was between one group and another. Why is it that modern man, who has access to far better technology and who should know better from the examples of history, ends up having less understanding of those who think differently from him as opposed to Inquisitors who lived and died 400-700 years ago?

Game master arino

kiwifarms.net
Anyone play illuminati? Its a great game and it had some of the best art of any card game. It also predicted the future with cards like this.
9202ff80e0410e587129fab89d231ae8.jpg

Well this is the art they have for the new edition (Of the board game not the TCG but the art was the same for both) and its expansions
pic4080630.jpg

Literally soulless calarts shit. They also "Updated" the game by getting rid of government and communist cards which in reality instantly made it dated. The old game is timeless but you can instantly tell this one was made in 2018 because of cards like "Russian campaign donors". I'm sure the new expansion that just came out last year has some more gay shit in it.

Shaka Brah

Patriotic Ass-Blasting Poster
kiwifarms.net
Anyone play illuminati? Its a great game and it had some of the best art of any card game. It also predicted the future with cards like this.
View attachment 2754149

Well this is the art they have for the new edition (Of the board game not the TCG but the art was the same for both) and its expansions
View attachment 2754141
Literally soulless calarts shit. They also "Updated" the game by getting rid of government and communist cards which in reality instantly made it dated. The old game is timeless but you can instantly tell this one was made in 2018 because of cards like "Russian campaign donors". I'm sure the new expansion that just came out last year has some more gay shit in it.
If they got rid of the 9/11 false flag card that's just criminal. The game was really some of the most insane stuff in how much foresight they seemed to have about what post-modernity would be like.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
This is why America needed its own secular version of the Inquisition to look into this shit. The FBI should have been ideal, but they proved to be inadequate. I'm not calling for people to be burnt at the stake, but we do need an organization that can look into these subcultures and movements and understand them from a perspective not tarnished by unstable, emotional zealots.
Yes, it was supposed to be the FBI.

The FBI is a shining example of what happens when organizations that should have clear goals and methods get perverted by special interests and politics. It's been like that to one extent or another since the beginning (J. Edgar Hoover was quite power-hungry), but there are a few situations where any veneer of sanity falls. Like the FBI and the Satanic Panic, or the ATF in... general, really.

LORD IMPERATOR

kiwifarms.net
Yes, it was supposed to be the FBI.

The FBI is a shining example of what happens when organizations that should have clear goals and methods get perverted by special interests and politics. It's been like that to one extent or another since the beginning (J. Edgar Hoover was quite power-hungry), but there are a few situations where any veneer of sanity falls. Like the FBI and the Satanic Panic, or the ATF in... general, really.
This is pretty much the reason why the Spanish people trusted their Inquisition for over 300 years, whereas the FBI is barely a century old, and it's already considered either a deep state appendage, a political accessory, or a gaggle of incompetents by many people in the USA.

But on the topic of tabletop and roleplaying, RP'ing as an Inquisitor would be very interesting. Either in a real, Medieval/Renaissance setting, or a fantasy/sci-fi setting. Imagine being charged to weed out dangerous deviants or heretics, and you have to investigate or infiltrate them to find out what their ideologies are before you root them out. The closest to this I've seen is a side quest in the Old Republic MMO where the Sith order you to infiltrate and destroy a cult dedicated to Revan that somehow sprang up on the Sith capital of Dromund Kaas.

Last edited:

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
You know, I could go full Tolkiensperg on that bitch, but let me put it in terms the woke would understand: someone oppressed someone else in the distant past and we're feeling the consequences of it to this day.

Also, it's called make-believe. Trekking through the sewers of Waterdeep fighting zombies, giant rats and carrion crawlers in search of the Big Bad's hideout would be an awful experience for me as a 40-something-year old sedentary a-hole. But guiding my ISO-Standard Male Human Paladin through all this shit and and watching him plunging his sword through the Illithid's heart is awesome. Likewise, playing an elf who hates dwarves or vice-versa is great in make-believe land, but it doesn't mean I want to shave my black neighbor's beard and throw his anvil into the nearest lake. This is all done for fun. Maybe these people should give this "fun" thing a try, before the government outlaws it.

Last edited: