Tabletop Community Watch

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

Jet Fuel Johnny

Full Metal Sperg
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Why The Red City?​

The creative team LOVES Ravenloft and Curse of Strahd. However, time and again, we have been left wondering, "What would we do if we could make our own horror tale for D&D?"
It would be nice if you actually knew the definition of horror, because this ain't Gothic Horror, champ.
When in early 2021 we began discussing this work, we decided there were a few things that MUST be added to The Red City to satisfy us.

• The setting should take the focus away from the Darklord, and give it to the player characters - where it belongs!
Fuck right off, you goddamn retard. The Darklord is the ANTAGONIST to the player character's PROTAGONISTS, you fucking mongs.
  • Art not only as window dressing but as important as it is in our own lives.
Tell me you're a faggot without telling me you're a faggot.
  • The setting facilitates more than one type of horror but also incorporates hope and a little bit of humor, to make the horror hit right.
  • You can tell so many kinds of horror in The Red City - Body Horror, Dark Fantasy, Folk Horror, Ghost Stories, Gothic Horror, even Occult Detective Stories and Psychological Horror!
And this differs from the rest of Ravenloft... how?
  • The setting should portray a world in stark contrast to other Ravenloft domains - reflecting the heights of arts and culture, technological advancement, and political intrigue, and it should stretch farther than the mythology of Western Europe and the cinematography of Hollywood.
Then what's the point?
  • The domain of dread should fit in among the others provided in the setting, while offering a location many characters would want to visit.
Nobody WANTS to visit fucking Ravenloft, you goddamn retards.
  • The setting should lean away from simple notions of good and evil.
Gothic. Horror.

You miss the point.

Good day, Xir!
  • The setting should avoid the problematic themes of earlier editions of Ravenloft, embrace the richness of diversity, and incorporate safety tools to protect everybody's fun.
Eat a bag of dicks.
  • The setting should satisfy play at multiple levels of thought. It should entertain at the "action-adventure" level, while still asking deep philosophical questions to be explored if the DM and players wish.
So... like Ravenloft.
The Red City does all of these things and more. It provides a richness allowing players and DM's to get the most out of the Ravenloft setting.
No, it doesn't.

Goddamn it, we should have gatekept harder.

Someone get these pathetic faggots out of the hobby.

Tactical Wizard

Explosiomancer
kiwifarms.net
It would be nice if you actually knew the definition of horror, because this ain't Gothic Horror, champ.

Fuck right off, you goddamn retard. The Darklord is the ANTAGONIST to the player character's PROTAGONISTS, you fucking mongs.

And this differs from the rest of Ravenloft... how?

Then what's the point?

Nobody WANTS to visit fucking Ravenloft, you goddamn retards.

Gothic. Horror.

You miss the point.

Good day, Xir!

Eat a bag of dicks.

So... like Ravenloft.

No, it doesn't.

Goddamn it, we should have gatekept harder.

Someone get these pathetic faggots out of the hobby.
I have such sights...

...To show you
hellraiser-pinhead-is-daddy.jpg

Morethanabitfoolish

kiwifarms.net
  • 25 monsters detailed, with 13 having their own stat blocks!
While of all the settings Ravenloft is the D&D one where monsters could be used without a stat book mostly what this looks like is laziness. Also according to one of the comments most of the names they are using casual Russian to make up names that sound very bland when translated.
Gorodok? This town's name is Gorodok [small town].
Literally.
Krasnygorod - is just Red City on russian.
Manya Ivanovich as darklord? it is joke?College of Tantso [dancer]r ? This dancer has archetype trait Lebedinoye Ozero [Swan Lake]?

guya - it so hard to get normal russian speaking helper?

WhatIsThePunchline

kiwifarms.net
Dungeons and Dragons is the McDonalds of rpgs. At the start it was the flawed but brilliant creation of a great storyteller, then after being bought up and traded between corporations it has turned into what it is today. A corporatized, streamlined, plastic experience. It's not the best rpg you'll play. But it's 'good enough'. You know what'll you get.

MT Foxtrot

It better be some Mark Twain shit....
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

A Genderbent Curse of Strahd​

Because coming up with our own vampire countess villain was just too much FUCKING WORK.

Dungeons and Dragons is the McDonalds of rpgs. At the start it was the flawed but brilliant creation of a great storyteller, then after being bought up and traded between corporations it has turned into what it is today. A corporatized, streamlined, plastic experience. It's not the best rpg you'll play. But it's 'good enough'. You know what'll you get.
That's why I'm keeping Feng Shui hidden in the armored shelter till this era is well and truly over...

40 Year Old Boomer

Pasta la vista
kiwifarms.net

A Genderbent Curse of Strahd​

Because coming up with our own vampire countess villain was just too much FUCKING WORK.

That's why I'm keeping Feng Shui hidden in the armored shelter till this era is well and truly over...

Carmilla instead of Dracula and you are done.
tfw no inbred hillbilly dragonborn Tatyana gf (male).PNG

Option 8 makes this my all time favorite 5th edition table. Sure, on the surface Ravenloft is a setting about gothic horror. But when you get to the core, it's a setting where you're playing the agents of the Dark Powers whose goal is to make the Dark Lord suffer as much as possible without killing them. Back in 2016 when my group tried to play Curse of Strahd, I put forth a plan of disguising the party paladin as Tatyana and marrying him off to Strahd only for him to discover the truth on the nuptial bed just as the party bursts out of the wardrobes/closets and starts hurling holy water at him while the bard mockingly reads from his diary, but we never got that far.

Smoke Manmuscle

kiwifarms.net
warhammer fantasy is better than 40k because it has Kislev in it

fuck your 1000000000 and 1 flavor of trannie space marines and cringe larpers.
fuck Age of Sigmar, fuck faggot anglo,murcan trannie politics getting in a fun children board game fuck /pol/larpers fuck sigmarxist trannies
and fuck games workshop

View attachment 2819471

KISLEV
I miss my Nuln army. The gun line of DOOOM.

Also: fuck you I have a tank.

MT Foxtrot

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

JustStopDude

kiwifarms.net
I picked up a lot of my English in the military. There was a guy in our unit that liked D&D and he got three of us green card holders to play it, sort of an excuse to work on our English.

Ended up having some decent time with it on deployments. Better than watching the same shitty movies and reading the same magazines. I think he also appreciated us foreign guys helping him with the pronouncing of some of the foreign words in the rule books or whatever.

It wasn't until years later, in college I tried to meet up with the campus gaming club that I realized how much effort this guy put into being a DM and also, young people today are fucking awful.

Shaka Brah

Patriotic Ass-Blasting Poster
kiwifarms.net
This amuses me. We've gone from women demanding female space marines (and being rebuffed) to men making male sisters of battle and insisting they're True and Honest. Trannies are once and for all showing that there are no women allowed in Warhams. This is a boys-only hobby.

Ghostse

Gorilla Channel Executive Producer
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2823207
Option 8 makes this my all time favorite 5th edition table. Sure, on the surface Ravenloft is a setting about gothic horror. But when you get to the core, it's a setting where you're playing the agents of the Dark Powers whose goal is to make the Dark Lord suffer as much as possible without killing them. Back in 2016 when my group tried to play Curse of Strahd, I put forth a plan of disguising the party paladin as Tatyana and marrying him off to Strahd only for him to discover the truth on the nuptial bed just as the party bursts out of the wardrobes/closets and starts hurling holy water at him while the bard mockingly reads from his diary, but we never got that far.

"Once you're satisified, aka roll the dice then pretend it came up whatever pretty princess you wanted".

1) Any competent DM knows to do that without the dice.
2) Why the fuck have them roll if they're just supposed to discard the result until they get the most special ones?

Also, all the fucking tranny shit. FFS.

Starscreams Cape

Year of the C.H.U.D
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This amuses me. We've gone from women demanding female space marines (and being rebuffed) to men making male sisters of battle and insisting they're True and Honest. Trannies are once and for all showing that there are no women allowed in Warhams. This is a boys-only hobby.
My Imperial Guard army is a "colonial" one, a mix of pith-helmeted Praetorian and space-redcoats. Nobody's asked my backstory, but if they did I would tell them that they go around COLONIZING SAVAGE PLANETS AND BRINGING THEM UP TO MUSTER.

God save the (white) emperor.

MT Foxtrot

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My Imperial Guard army is a "colonial" one, a mix of pith-helmeted Praetorian and space-redcoats. Nobody's asked my backstory, but if they did I would tell them that they go around COLONIZING SAVAGE PLANETS AND BRINGING THEM UP TO MUSTER.
So a typical IG force in other words?
Please tell me you kitbashed some Praetorian rough riders. I saw a concept sketch of them and they legit looked pretty nifty. Then again, I'm extremely partial to rough riders anyway and I'd do a whole IG build of them if I could...
God save the (white) emperor.
I thought he had kind of a Mediterranean skin tone in this depiction.
1640559333583.png

Syaoran Li

Born To Raise Hell
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Phil didn't write those sections; it was one of the other guys, and I think they were the only non-crony he had in the group since they tried to make the hummingbirds interesting and not filled with cum and badly designed stats. Phil NEVER touched War Against the Pure, he was only tapped to write by Onyx Path Changing Breeds.

Actually, the more I read Phil's work, the more I honestly believe that he isn't that good and White Wolf was smart in firing him for being too nutty. Seriously, they made like a wanted poster that described him as a lunatic at one point, and I don't blame them. I mean hey, maybe if I reread his contributions to Mage I'll remember why he was hired, but they never should let him write anything involving werewolves.

IIRC, any of Phil Brucato's positive contributions to the World of Darkness were probably in the Mage material from back in the 90's.

And that's mainly because White Wolf was semi-competently run at the time and usually had people higher up who could essentially act as the tard wranglers for guys like Phil Brucato and Justin Achilli.

Once guys like Andrew Greenburg and the Wieck Brothers were out and guys like Brucato and Achilli were given full creative control of Mage and Vampire respectively with no one to rein them in, things quickly turned to shit.