Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

Surtur

Destroyer of the Universe.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
So who here plays these? Some of us here on the forums have a D&D game, I also play Pathfinder on weekends and this weekend we will be playing Call of Cthulhu. I might post some stories later.

Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

Smokedaddy

Finer than frogs' hair
Deceased
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I play a 7th level "floating head on laptop" in an AD&D campaign.

My first DM was a Michael Snyder-type manager of the local game store, dude name of Tracy Hickman. The campaign died when he got a better job.

DiscipleOfTheLie

Herb. Syrup. Pills
kiwifarms.net
Every Friday, I have a few friends over including my brother and we play Vampire: The Masquerade. It's getting to the point though where it would be ideal for each of us to run a game each Friday. Since it's four of us, we would each run something each week. My friend James runs Pathfinder, my friend Chris runs Call of Cthulhu, my brother runs Vampire: The Masquerade, and I am trying to run New World of Darkness. It's a fun experience.

Lately we've been slacking and only playing Vampire. Hectic work and school schedules only permit us to hang for a few hours. It used to be that my friends would crash at my place because we would play for several hours straight. When Summer gets here, that might start happening again.

Dollars2010

Necromancer Corgi Queen
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I used to play D&D 3.5 with my friends before I moved and haven't had the chance to play much anymore. I've been wanting to get back into it and perhaps give Pathfinder and CoC a try as well.

Surtur

Destroyer of the Universe.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
DiscipleOfTheLie said:
Every Friday, I have a few friends over including my brother and we play Vampire: The Masquerade. It's getting to the point though where it would be ideal for each of us to run a game each Friday. Since it's four of us, we would each run something each week. My friend James runs Pathfinder, my friend Chris runs Call of Cthulhu, my brother runs Vampire: The Masquerade, and I am trying to run New World of Darkness. It's a fun experience.

Lately we've been slacking and only playing Vampire. Hectic work and school schedules only permit us to hang for a few hours. It used to be that my friends would crash at my place because we would play for several hours straight. When Summer gets here, that might start happening again.
I played a diceless variant of Vampire way back when, never got into it but I have thought about drying the standard version.

Hunger Mythos said:
I used to play D&D 3.5 with my friends before I moved and haven't had the chance to play much anymore. I've been wanting to get back into it and perhaps give Pathfinder and CoC a try as well.
Pathfinder is a lot of fun, I think its better than D&D. This weekend will be my first time playing CoC and I will be Keeping. Hopefully I won't go insane.

Maloongoo

kiwifarms.net
I used to play CoC but I haven't played it in years I'd really like to start playing it again though. Played Vampire as well but I got sick of it after a while

Lately I've just been playing Hunter: The Vigil and Shadowrun

Dunsparce

Out of Control
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I play D&D 3.5 exclusively.

I know Pathfinder exists, but I really am comfortable with 3.5 as it is, flaws and all. I can say even after reading the whole Pathfinder changes thing that I prefer sticking to D&D, even though it's not the most popular opinion.

I've been play for two and a half years now and I really can't imagine changing systems in the future since everyone in my group has all of the things needed to play the game.

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WAITING FOR MORE 2HUS
kiwifarms.net
I first played some 3.5 with some friends. Then some Paranoia via Steam (despite it being my first time meeting them and they tore my jaw off repeatedly we're all still cool).

Then some 4.e with some of the same people. It was pretty insane in that there were no rails because we used the rails to kill NPC's. It was fun in its own way, even though I'm not big on 4e.

I play Pathfinder via FG when I get a chance, but games tend to happen when I'm busy.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
I play D&D 3.5 exclusively.

I know Pathfinder exists, but I really am comfortable with 3.5 as it is, flaws and all. I can say even after reading the whole Pathfinder changes thing that I prefer sticking to D&D, even though it's not the most popular opinion..
I really like 3.5 as well. At least the alignment system wasn't dumbed-down like they did in 4th ed.

Sable

kiwifarms.net
So does anyone have any stories?

Nothing that absurd has happened in our group aside from the Orc who destroyed our enemies by firing pregnancy beams at people, or the random-potion escapades. Actually, those escapades were pretty awesome, I'll try and remember them to pass on to you guys later.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
Here's a few of mine...

-I was in a 3.5 D&D game where one of the character accidentally dropped in on the King Kobolds throne room and blasted his throne to bits just to annoy the king. Which got him disintegrated by the king, himself. His last words were, "I'm not picking a fight; I'm just messing with him."

-I was playing a womanizing swashbuckler who was going on a date with the mayor's secretary in hopes of bedding her. So a party member gets the idea of disguising himself as a woman and claiming to be his cheated on girlfriend as a prank. Let's just say that the plan backfired, the half-orc patrolman went gaga over the party member and he's now going to spend the rest of his life in sexual identity confusion once the player revealed himself to be a man.

-The party was trying to scam this merchant who was a total fanboy for this heroic wizard. One of the members claimed to be the wizard's long lost son and he was going to get a present of two diamonds from the merchant. Our paladin was trying to figure out what they were up to and not do something stupid and my Half-Orc monk failed to trick him into leaving by sounding like a woman in peril (I was playing a guy). The merchant found out and was about to call the law on us when the paladin stepped in and screamed at him (causing him to wet his pants). While we didn't get in trouble, we were no long welcome in that store.

Sable

kiwifarms.net
Ha, that's pretty funny.

At least everything didn't end up on fire.

Zeorus

voilà la guimbarde
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm in a Pathfinder campaign right now. I play a human bard (CN) with a human cleric (CG), half-elf ranger (CG) and half-orc monk (LG), all of us level six. Each of us has our own..."issues" that make us a kind of neurotic adventuring group.

The monk has a direwolf as his mount who fights with him. This direwolf rescued him from the wreckage when his monastery was burned to the ground. Ever since he's been on a power trip looking for revenge, dragging the three of us along with him. Unfortunately, he's often in a power struggle with the direwolf, who doesn't always obey his commands. She once ate a smuggler we were trying to interrogate because he gave the wrong command signal.

The ranger has a rock that she found in our first dungeon who she believes to be sentient and talks to on a regular basis. The rock has proven to be uncannily useful as an improvised weapon. She's also been in the rather unfortunate position of having the monk crushing on her and making comically awkward attempts to romance her.

The cleric hasn't had as much character development beyond being incredibly ditzy (she has the lowest Intelligence score of any of us). We were once attacked by dire wolverines in the middle of the night and didn't wake up until the third round of combat. She's a powerful enough cleric that she makes up for it, though.

Meanwhile, my bard is slightly emo because he was looking for the guy that killed his wife but got stuck wandering with these guys. He makes every attempt possible to break away from the group to resume his own quest but usually gets the shit kicked out of him by the monk. He also tends to get picked on by the others because he tends to get in the hairiest situations. Examples: the aforementioned dire wolverines attacked the party by running into his tent and attempting to gnaw his legs off, a bulette started combat by eating his horse, and he almost died of naga poisoning on the first dungeon.

Unfortunately, I'll have to leave this campaign soon because I'm moving out of state. I'll miss it, quite honestly. We're kind of dysfunctional, but in a pretty relateable way.

KingGeedorah

The Monster From Planet X
kiwifarms.net
I've been wanting to start playing either DnD or CoC as my first tabletop. Like i love the idea of the games just never has the money to invest in player books when I was younger.

Any chance we could set up a Tabletop group and maybe try to get some sessions going via Skype?

DuskEngine

watermelon seller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have never played before but I'd be interested in joining a group if anyone's looking for a player.

Though I'm more interested in games like Shadowrun than D&D.

Sable

kiwifarms.net
I've been wanting to start playing either DnD or CoC as my first tabletop. Like i love the idea of the games just never has the money to invest in player books when I was younger.

Any chance we could set up a Tabletop group and maybe try to get some sessions going via Skype?
If you're fine with Pathfinder, they've made all there sourcebooks available online for free . I'd be fine joining either CoC or Pathfinder (or even say 3.5 or...4e) if there's a game up, though I'd need to relearn 3.5/ learn CoC.

Both Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds have sections of the site dedicated to matchmaking, though IIRC you can't DM games with the lite version of FG.

If looking for games here doesn't work, you can try that.

Reactions: KingGeedorah

Locksnap

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pathfinder, while far from a perfect system is definitely good for new players and online games due to what @Sable notes and the Pathfinder SRD, which is a fantastic site and alone makes playing Pathfinder a joy.

I've ran Deathwatch/Black Crusade, which is very fun but there was a little too much to get my head around at times. D&D systems offer the kind of simplicity which while not exciting, is atleast familiar to most players.

And yeah, Roll20 is a fantastic way to play online. My online group uses skype calls for general chatter while character actions are done in Roll20 via text. I'm not really a fan of voicing out your character, makes me feel like a fucking dork.

Zeorus

voilà la guimbarde
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As I said before, I'll be looking for a new campaign soon. I'd love to start a Pathfinder campaign with some Kiwis. :)

Reactions: DuskEngine
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino