Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

• The site was compromised. (Initial announcement) (What to do) (A post about feelings)
    This announcement will be removed when I (hopefully) finalize my audit either today or tomorrow. I will follow it up with a mass email to all users linking the information in this announcement. So far, there has been no subsequent release of data.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Random question for the Gm/Dms out there.
What extra stuff do you do to enhance your game?

Im planning on getting some sound systems to play old might and magic music,
And have considered modifying the lighting (though that would be a hassle for reading, so its only a loose idea).
I am otherwise slowly printing out 3d magnetized tiles for better dungeon delving.
Before one of the sound systems for roll20 went under, I'd use it for music that I felt fit the area; now I mostly just use YT. Hell, I design a lot of ideas and concepts just by listening to music, envisioning the area, forms of enemies, or boss. I find I'm most creative when I do this.

I also usually fly by the seat, but for a campaign I sadly couldn't continue due to my own flakiness, I had a master document including my homebrew rules (mainly stats for mass combat and guns as it was a Napoleonic Era game) as well as lore in the world so far. That Master Document was useful to me and my players quite often.

MementoMalum

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
kiwifarms.net
Random question for the Gm/Dms out there.
What extra stuff do you do to enhance your game?

Im planning on getting some sound systems to play old might and magic music,
And have considered modifying the lighting (though that would be a hassle for reading, so its only a loose idea).
I am otherwise slowly printing out 3d magnetized tiles for better dungeon delving.
I use a whiteboard behind me for the general map and other notes (like symbols and glyphs that are notable), and I also put initiative order up there, which helps keep everyone on track as to whose turn it is in combat. I also have a dry-erase mat that has 1 inch squares printed on it that I lay on the table and draw the fight map on.

I have a 3d printer that I have used to print out templates, the fireball and spirit guardians ones in particular make those spells so much easier, and one of my players employs an owl that he casts Dragon's Breath on and the template for that spell area has enabled better visualizations more than once. I also have printed out miniatures, generally low-poly ones, as they're easier to make and can be easily reused.

I use a portable speaker to play ambient music from youtube on, which would better if I actually planned the music beforehand, but that usually slips down the totem pole and I end up with generic soundscapes, but it can serve ok as mood settings.

I also print out all the magic items I give out (which is a lot, because I like low power level items that do interesting things) and put them in card protectors to give to the players. They seem to appreciate pulling out a small deck of cards and shuffling through them to find the item they're using.

Crabbo

kiwifarms.net
I also print out all the magic items I give out (which is a lot, because I like low power level items that do interesting things) and put them in card protectors to give to the players. They seem to appreciate pulling out a small deck of cards and shuffling through them to find the item they're using.
I especially love this tip.
Im gonna implement this asap.
I got a fair share of Magic nerds who play in my group, so the card aspect would tickle them in the right place.

MementoMalum

kiwifarms.net
I especially love this tip.
Im gonna implement this asap.
I got a fair share of Magic nerds who play in my group, so the card aspect would tickle them in the right place.
This is the card generator I use. It generates playing-card sized images and will put 9 to normal printer page for easy printing. If you fiddle with the formatting you can do some neat things, like check boxes for charges on items with charges.

robobobo

kiwifarms.net
I use it. It has a hellish learning curve because the UI is out of 2000, but after figuring out what did what, I've found it to be a pretty good way to game online with remote people. Lets you do things like drag and drop pre-made monsters into an encounter, set where they'll appear on the map, then when it's showtime you can just click on the encounter and it automatically sticks them into the combat tracker, rolls their initiative, etc. If you don't use the automation features it's still fine as a shared map and dice roller. They're doing a revamp of the program now that should be done in a few months, modernizes it with features like dynamic light on maps, calculating what players can/can't see through obstructions, etc.

P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
I've been playing and DMing 3e/3.5 since it came out. Never once have I ran a game where a player wanted to be a monk, or played in a group with a monk. I haven't even used them as a monster template or NPCs for players to fight. They just never interested me enough and looked wonky from the get go. I'll take everyone's word they play like shit.

REGENDarySumanai

Man of excellent taste
kiwifarms.net
I've been playing and DMing 3e/3.5 since it came out. Never once have I ran a game where a player wanted to be a monk, or played in a group with a monk. I haven't even used them as a monster template or NPCs for players to fight. They just never interested me enough and looked wonky from the get go. I'll take everyone's word they play like shit.
One of the players in the campaign is a monk. We also have a cleric, warblade, and barbarian. I even told the player that monk is a steaming pile of feces that no one likes to play, and he's fine with it. I fully expect regret later down the line.

EDIT: Thankfully, I'm just gonna redirect him to the unarmed swordsage variant from Tome of Battle

Last edited:

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've played one entirely because I had a rabbit's foot up my ass when I rolled the attributes. I did okay, but only got better when I took Sacred Fist, since it gives me the secondary role of being a Cleric. They ain't a good class to play though.

TerribleIdeas™

Master of Cunt-Puppets
kiwifarms.net
One of the players in the campaign is a monk. We also have a cleric, warblade, and barbarian. I even told the player that monk is a steaming pile of feces that no one likes to play, and he's fine with it. I fully expect regret later down the line.

EDIT: Thankfully, I'm just gonna redirect him to the unarmed swordsage variant from Tome of Battle
I've played one entirely because I had a rabbit's foot up my ass when I rolled the attributes. I did okay, but only got better when I took Sacred Fist, since it gives me the secondary role of being a Cleric. They ain't a good class to play though.
I got the impression that the only way to play a monk is to play a complete gimmick monk, like a halfling monk, and to get amazing roles.

REGENDarySumanai

Man of excellent taste
kiwifarms.net
I got the impression that the only way to play a monk is to play a complete gimmick monk, like a halfling monk, and to get amazing roles.
Goliath monks are actually pretty good, since powerful build makes their fists do damage as if they were large size. So 4d8 damage unarmed, albeit with an LA of +1. But honestly, if you are gonna play a monk, just use the unarmed swordsage adaptation, and if you want damage, just use warblade.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: TerribleIdeas™

REGENDarySumanai

Man of excellent taste
kiwifarms.net
I managed to bluff eight soldiers to their doom by saying that there was a random NPC (said gnome wizard, halfling sorcerer, and goblin) up the hill for them to attack. At first, five of the soldiers ran up, with one getting killed on their way to said "NPC", only to meet face first with the dwarven meat grinder who promptly shredded them. Then the next three ran up, and promptly got shredded. The last guy, who didn't fall for the previous bluffs, fell for the third and final bluff, only to get gangbanged by the dwarven meat grinder, get hit in the nads with a hammer, and get shredded in multiple ways.

Last edited:

Dr. Tran

A man of action
kiwifarms.net
Got a question for any guys in here with experience in running Chronicles of Darkness games. I'm starting a Hunters: the Vigil game soon but I'm not 100% on the system yet. Any general tips for running the game?

I have a lot of experience running D&D games, mostly 5e and a bit of 3.5, and I actually played a bit of Vampire: the Masquerade but it was with this obscure system my friend used cause he didn't like the d10 system.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

MementoMalum

kiwifarms.net
Swashbucklers are like, insanely OP in 5e. Can I multi-class anything to make it even more retardedly awesome? Was thinking hex blade but don't wanna dip 3.
Eh, most of the hexblade power comes from the 1st level dip, since it lets you use CHA for your attacks, gives medium armor and martial weapons proficiency, and a "free" hex, along with the spell slot that base warlocks get. Hexblade multiclasses are more of a problem for Sorcerors and Paladins that want to dump STR and still be able to play a gish. Pact of the Blade really gives a hexblade almost nothing besides the invocation options.

If you go warlock, its a nice way to reward any amount of levels between 1 and 3. 1 level gives the stupidly powerful hexblade subclass. 2 levels give 2 spell slots per short rest (as good as pure warlocks get until level 11), and 3 levels gives Pact of the Blade (not amazing, as mentioned before) and 2nd level spells (hello Misty Step).

The other good multiclass option would be fighter since that nets you lots of great proficiencies, good health bonuses, a fighting style, and if you go 2 levels Action Surge is always great (even if you can't sneak attack twice).

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino