Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Techpriest

Praise the Machine Spirits
kiwifarms.net
Sure there has buddy.

We get some new details on the Council Of Bones, mostly fluffy stuff. They talk to ghosts. They have a fancy tattoo.
Statistically, there has been. It isn’t an epidemic but it is a noticeable increase.

The Council of Bones feels a little off, but I like the concept. Hopefully it’ll be polished up a little more, but the preview is pretty good right now.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Adamska

Borax Bozo

kiwifarms.net
Thought I'd dump some of the settings and freebie RPG blogs I keep in my RSS reader:

https://bottomlesssarcophagus.blogspot.com/ (Some fantastic stuff here, highly recommend the Thawing Kingdom, Mayfly Elves, hell the whole lot really)
https://unlawfulgames.blogspot.com/ (especially worth mentioning THE BREWSCAPE https://unlawfulgames.blogspot.com/2019/02/brewscape-mega-barcrawl.html https://unlawfulgames.blogspot.com/2019/02/brewscape-brewing-beasts.html )
https://udan-adan.blogspot.com/ (The 'Wicked City' posts are a fantastic setting https://udan-adan.blogspot.com/search/label/The Wicked City )
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/ (Check out the Magical Industrial Revolution dev posts)
https://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/ (Creator of the False Hydra https://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2014/09/false-hydra.html )
https://www.tarsostheorem.com/ (and the old archive https://tarsostheorem.blogspot.com/ )

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
I came across this dilly of an adult TTG called, Hot Alien Sex.

Have you always wanted to have dirty filthy sex with a tentacled creature from outer space? Are you interested in exploring what tenderness and intimacy looks like for different bodies? Do you wanna tell sexy stories with friends? Well, this is your game.

Hot Alien Sex is a game of intimate sexual encounters between people with different bodies, for two players. It uses a back and forth rhythm of description, describing touch and emotions in turn, to explore sensual fiction.

Let the sexploration begin.

The creator suggests $10 for a 20-page book.

MementoMalum

Ships are delicious
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Have you always wanted to have dirty filthy sex with a tentacled creature from outer space?No, I have not ever entertained that thought, thanks for asking.
Are you interested in exploring what tenderness and intimacy looks like for different bodies?Not particularly.
Do you wanna tell sexy stories with friends?I can think of several forms of torture that I would prefer to go through before doing this, as a matter of fact.

Maybe I'm just a prude, but I wouldn't want to "tell sexy stories" with any of my TTRPG friends. I've considered trying to do a run of FATAL before, but that would mostly just be to laugh at it when we have to "determine anal circumference" and the other weird things that "system" has you do.

@Yaoi Huntress Earth was the author Ana Valens by any chance? It's sounds exactly like his style.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
Have you always wanted to have dirty filthy sex with a tentacled creature from outer space?No, I have not ever entertained that thought, thanks for asking.
Are you interested in exploring what tenderness and intimacy looks like for different bodies?Not particularly.
Do you wanna tell sexy stories with friends?I can think of several forms of torture that I would prefer to go through before doing this, as a matter of fact.

Maybe I'm just a prude, but I wouldn't want to "tell sexy stories" with any of my TTRPG friends. I've considered trying to do a run of FATAL before, but that would mostly just be to laugh at it when we have to "determine anal circumference" and the other weird things that "system" has you do.

@Yaoi Huntress Earth was the author Ana Valens by any chance? It's sounds exactly like his style.
No, the author's name is Bronwyn Friesen (who is a queer, trans witchy type) and she's the muse of one of my personal lolcows.

WinchesterPremium

kiwifarms.net
Statistically, there has been. It isn’t an epidemic but it is a noticeable increase.

The Council of Bones feels a little off, but I like the concept. Hopefully it’ll be polished up a little more, but the preview is pretty good right now.
Stretch goals have been meh. "Give us more money, and we will package it with more 1E PDFs! Just add 3$!", but at least Tending the Flame is new.

SWORN sounded like a good concept but the writeup kinda sounds like "You have a minority quota to fill, put as many as you can in this new group!"

Michelle disagreed and managed to find help by drawing on the other communities of which she was a part. Because of her determination and the things they’d seen, Michelle sought help from Angie Decora, a lesbian biker; Ida Miller, a mixed black and Lakota bartender; Danny Romero, a LagunaChicano man who worked as a gang intervention social worker; Kara Dittami, a Pequot literacy worker; and Derrick Moser, an Ojibwa homeless man to form a cell.
Other parts are kinda eh. Like :

Worse: the Native community was aware monsters were real but since their traditions to deal with the monsters had been lost, their response was to look away.
"Oh yeah. All Natives knew about the monsters. We just kinda forgot how to deal with them lol."

Techpriest

kiwifarms.net
Stretch goals have been meh. "Give us more money, and we will package it with more 1E PDFs! Just add 3$!", but at least Tending the Flame is new.

SWORN sounded like a good concept but the writeup kinda sounds like "You have a minority quota to fill, put as many as you can in this new group!"

Other parts are kinda eh. Like :

"Oh yeah. All Natives knew about the monsters. We just kinda forgot how to deal with them lol."
Oral histories and knowledge are sketchy and not always accurate, but a break in the oral tradition can pretty much annihilate the past knowledge completely. Especially if it was something very specialized and kept secretive - look at Kosher butchery as a fantastic example of this. The rear parts of the cow are no longer able to be prepared in a kosher fashion because of the death of almost every butcher who knew how to prepare it during the Holocaust. Another example would be the Aztec, Maya, and Inca traditions and mythology. The deaths from disease and warfare during the Spanish conquest pretty much obliterated the population to the point where 20 years later when the Spanish were trying to document what they could about the people they’d just culturally genocide’d, and the destruction of the various codices eliminated an immense amount of written information, and everyone who could have supplied it to the next generation was either dead, illiterate, or unable to impart it in a way that stuck with the next generation as the Spanish went on a blitzkrieg of religious conversions.

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
Oral histories and knowledge are sketchy and not always accurate, but a break in the oral tradition can pretty much annihilate the past knowledge completely. Especially if it was something very specialized and kept secretive - look at Kosher butchery as a fantastic example of this. The rear parts of the cow are no longer able to be prepared in a kosher fashion because of the death of almost every butcher who knew how to prepare it during the Holocaust. Another example would be the Aztec, Maya, and Inca traditions and mythology. The deaths from disease and warfare during the Spanish conquest pretty much obliterated the population to the point where 20 years later when the Spanish were trying to document what they could about the people they’d just culturally genocide’d, and the destruction of the various codices eliminated an immense amount of written information, and everyone who could have supplied it to the next generation was either dead, illiterate, or unable to impart it in a way that stuck with the next generation as the Spanish went on a blitzkrieg of religious conversions.

Weirdly this is why you need a guy like Tokien's for non-western fantasy, since his work is work is very much a reaction to the gaping hole where he thought English folk lore should be. It's partly why its so tricky to try and build a non-western fantasy world, since we're struggling with how it would look
We've already got some waypoint with middle eastern lore with Arabian nights and the rich history of Asia and the middle eastbut until we get some modern masterpieces written by a academic powerhouse from the actual countries of origins it's always going to be a struggle to make African campaigns which arnt crude approximations.

Somehow I doubt fat bitter nerds are up to the task.

WinchesterPremium

kiwifarms.net
A valid point, however given that they still realize monsters exist and just...don't do anything about it is just strange. Like a huge cultural group knows about monsters but doesn't bother telling anyone else about it, even if you forget "Vampires don't like fire and burn in sunlight" they apparently still remember "Vampires drink blood, that thing is probably a vampire". It would be like Network Zero breaking the masquerade and the universal response was to shrug and go on with your life like normal. Like apparently everyone in the reservations knows that monsters are real and the only ones who bother to deal with it are a couple of lesbian bikers and half-black bartenders. They don't try to tell the rest of the world about them, they don't all swarm the Vampire or even provide support to their Hunters, they just ignore the problem. It also has weird implications for practical hunting. Like if your shooting a werewolf on tribal grounds can you just explain to the tribal police you're hunting skinchangers and they just go with it, knowing that werwolves are real? Could a SWORN hunter tell their wife the reason they're missing work is because they're studying a spirit and their wife takes it at face value and goes off to tell his understanding boss?

It is one thing to lose a vast amount of information, but they arn't doing anything with the information they have. It would be having a masquerade free zone that somehow hasn't spread outside of one ethnic group or changed the rest of the world in any way.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: BScCollateral

Techpriest

kiwifarms.net
A valid point, however given that they still realize monsters exist and just...don't do anything about it is just strange. Like a huge cultural group knows about monsters but doesn't bother telling anyone else about it, even if you forget "Vampires don't like fire and burn in sunlight" they apparently still remember "Vampires drink blood, that thing is probably a vampire". It would be like Network Zero breaking the masquerade and the universal response was to shrug and go on with your life like normal. Like apparently everyone in the reservations knows that monsters are real and the only ones who bother to deal with it are a couple of lesbian bikers and half-black bartenders. They don't try to tell the rest of the world about them, they don't all swarm the Vampire or even provide support to their Hunters, they just ignore the problem. It also has weird implications for practical hunting. Like if your shooting a werewolf on tribal grounds can you just explain to the tribal police you're hunting skinchangers and they just go with it, knowing that werwolves are real? Could a SWORN hunter tell their wife the reason they're missing work is because they're studying a spirit and their wife takes it at face value and goes off to tell his understanding boss?

It is one thing to lose a vast amount of information, but they arn't doing anything with the information they have. It would be having a masquerade free zone that somehow hasn't spread outside of one ethnic group or changed the rest of the world in any way.
The reservations are pretty isolated. I don’t know if you live in a state with one, but they’re basically ignored in mine. The only time they make the news is when you get someone in the Indian Affairs Bureau doing skeevy shit, or the local government tries to fuck the Rez over by building oil pipelines over their only source of water.

SWORN would mostly have to deal with internal tribal police (which may or may not be sympathetic to the crazy dude talking about the spirits) and unemployment is so damn common there (the tribes are almost entirely dependent on the feds for a lot of basic services and those services are chronically underfunded) and so is substance abuse that in a few cases I can easily see them getting away with a load of crazy shit. At least, on the reservation.

Also, sure, your grandfather told you about the monsters when you were little. A bunch of details and things and names and all that. But your dad or mom didn’t believe them, and you really don’t either. It’s just stories to you now, tales of a man eager to return to a past that’s idealized to hell and back. In reality, your friends and neighbors are probably mostly alcoholics. Suicides happen with a depressing regularity. The tribal police aren’t the best and sex crimes happen and go unpunished at rates that would shock people who aren’t used to it. The people from the outside that do try to help are either idealistic idiots, new age quacks, or quickly find themselves way over their heads. There are plenty of people who just want to exploit the suffering of the people on the reservation, building liquor stores just across the border and making a fortune off of the weakness to alcohol among native populations. You have so many human monsters all around you, so why care about the ones grandfather told you about?

Weirdly this is why you need a guy like Tokien's for non-western fantasy, since his work is work is very much a reaction to the gaping hole where he thought English folk lore should be. It's partly why its so tricky to try and build a non-western fantasy world, since we're struggling with how it would look
We've already got some waypoint with middle eastern lore with Arabian nights and the rich history of Asia and the middle eastbut until we get some modern masterpieces written by a academic powerhouse from the actual countries of origins it's always going to be a struggle to make African campaigns which arnt crude approximations.

Somehow I doubt fat bitter nerds are up to the task.
Bingo. There’s also the struggle to ‘decontaminate’ a lot of native mythology. You see this to a degree with Norse myth too. By the time stuff is written down about the oral culture, it’s been syncretizing with missionaries religious teachings for what might be several generations. Religious crossover makes it tricky sometimes to tell what the pre-contact tales actually were. Serious academics tear their hair out over questions like this, and devote lifetimes of study to trying to get the answers to these kind of questions.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

WinchesterPremium

kiwifarms.net
The reservations are pretty isolated. I don’t know if you live in a state with one, but they’re basically ignored in mine. The only time they make the news is when you get someone in the Indian Affairs Bureau doing skeevy shit, or the local government tries to fuck the Rez over by building oil pipelines over their only source of water.

SWORN would mostly have to deal with internal tribal police (which may or may not be sympathetic to the crazy dude talking about the spirits) and unemployment is so damn common there (the tribes are almost entirely dependent on the feds for a lot of basic services and those services are chronically underfunded) and so is substance abuse that in a few cases I can easily see them getting away with a load of crazy shit. At least, on the reservation.

Also, sure, your grandfather told you about the monsters when you were little. A bunch of details and things and names and all that. But your dad or mom didn’t believe them, and you really don’t either. It’s just stories to you now, tales of a man eager to return to a past that’s idealized to hell and back. In reality, your friends and neighbors are probably mostly alcoholics. Suicides happen with a depressing regularity. The tribal police aren’t the best and sex crimes happen and go unpunished at rates that would shock people who aren’t used to it. The people from the outside that do try to help are either idealistic idiots, new age quacks, or quickly find themselves way over their heads. There are plenty of people who just want to exploit the suffering of the people on the reservation, building liquor stores just across the border and making a fortune off of the weakness to alcohol among native populations. You have so many human monsters all around you, so why care about the ones grandfather told you about?
I've passed through the Rez a couple of times, I'm pretty sure I'd stop to listen if everyone was trying to tell me about monsters and seemed incredibly serious about the whole thing.

The whole idea was that it wouldn't be just a crazy guy talking about spirits. It implies that everyone knows. "The community knows Monsters are real" doesn't mean "They read Dracula", it means "They know monsters are real". It implies that they do believe and these arn't seen as nonsense ghost stories like they are in the west. And in the specific SWORN story they would care because the specific monster they have a problem with is trying to eat them and everyone around them. If you compared it to a redneck living in similar situations in some trailer park he would probably have heard of vampires before and might not go out of his way to hunt them...but he wouldn't believe in them or "know" they exist. If that same redneck knew a vampire was two trailers down and everyone knew what a vampire was you would expect him to take his shotgun and plug it with everyone else. That sentence doesn't make any sense if it is just saying "Like everyone else, Natives had stories that told them how to fight monsters."

You can't really do anything about alcoholism or whatever, but somebody getting eaten by vampire is pretty simple to deal with. Not easy, but simple.

• Optimistic
Reactions: MementoMalum

Blini Cat

2:3 блинчики
kiwifarms.net
Anyone here play Degenesis? My irl group just picked it up recently. Its the first tabletop game I've played where I find myself really engaged in the lore and setting. It helps that the art is amazing. I was skeptical at first; I'm not a fan of the post-apocalypse setting in general and it seemed too violent and edgy for me, but once I started reading the lore book I honestly couldn't stop.

fyi if anyone is interested, I heard it's going to be free-to-play starting around April to coincide with some new books/modules coming out. Apparently they're doing a relaunch of the website too which should be good. It's a little difficult to introduce the game/setting to people currently. I always want to link Marko's Deviantart or something because the art sells it more than any description could.

Jaimas

Fourth Echelon Shitposting Team Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Recently, a new PNP RPG went up on Kickstarter that seems kind of neat, if only because of the sheer volume of shit it throws at the wall: Mermaids After the End, or as one of my friends now calls it, Post-Apocalyptic Cyborg Ninja Mermaid Simulator with Lovecraft Elements. Transhumanism, underwater exploration, monstergirls, and cosmic horror?

Can't say I'm not interested in that shit. Worth checking out if you feel the jones.

knightlautrec

kiwifarms.net
Anyone here play Degenesis? My irl group just picked it up recently. Its the first tabletop game I've played where I find myself really engaged in the lore and setting. It helps that the art is amazing. I was skeptical at first; I'm not a fan of the post-apocalypse setting in general and it seemed too violent and edgy for me, but once I started reading the lore book I honestly couldn't stop.

fyi if anyone is interested, I heard it's going to be free-to-play starting around April to coincide with some new books/modules coming out. Apparently they're doing a relaunch of the website too which should be good. It's a little difficult to introduce the game/setting to people currently. I always want to link Marko's Deviantart or something because the art sells it more than any description could.
I haven't had the pleasure to convince anyone to play it but you are right- the art is absolutely beautiful and I bought it solely for that reason when it came out. Marko is my art idol. Everything he does has such life and depth.

Let us know how your sessions go - I'm interested to see how it plays in a group.

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net

Decent lore and gameplay, sadly it's another game no one around here plays because not D&D 5th Edition or Pathfinder 2nd Edition. Just another reason why I can't wait to get out of here. Not enough tabletop gamers and those that are around aren't willing to try new games like they used to. New city has a few thousand players to get to know and they're always up for some random game. Hell if I wanted to play a game of Kill the Commie Bastards I could probably find a group.

By the way, whoever wrote the brief description of the game on Wikipedia doesn't know what they're talking about. It clearly says on my copy 1987 not 1989.

Last edited:
Tags
None