Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

Capsaicin Addict

Dancing on the ashes of history.
kiwifarms.net
Been testing out a new Commander deck with my girl and I made one of the worst mistake I could have made. In order to break the stalemate we had I had to destroy all creatures on the field. She had ten creatures and I had seven (one of which was Grave Titan so I could just get more creatures in the form of zombies. However there was a deathtouch creature on the other side so I wasn't about to attack into it while it's on the field (it was her Commander so it would just come back too).

Not only did I want to destroy all creatures on the field, I also had an enchant creature card on her Commander that if it died I would gain control of it and a card in my hand that I would return all creatures in both our graveyards back on to the field on my side. HOWEVER! I forgot she had Sanguine Bond+Blood Artist+Zulaport Cutthroat on the field.

What do those cards do?

Sanguine Bond Whenever you gain life, target opponent loses that much life.
Blood Artist Whenever Blood Artist or another creature dies, target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Zulaport Cutthroat Whenever Zulaport Cutthroat or another creature you control dies, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

So yeah...I fucked up and she couldn't stop laughing. So glad I taught her how to play!

Now if only I could convince her to roleplay so she could help me fuck over peoples campaigns if the GM is terrible.
Um... to quote E.T., 'Ouch'.

Let me think here. She has 10 creatures, you have seven. Both Blood Artist and Zulaport Cutthroat would 'fire' so you'd lose 27 life initially and she'd gain 27. Sanguine Bond also kicks in and you lose ANOTHER 27 life. Have I analyzed this correctly?

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
Um... to quote E.T., 'Ouch'.

Let me think here. She has 10 creatures, you have seven. Both Blood Artist and Zulaport Cutthroat would 'fire' so you'd lose 27 life initially and she'd gain 27. Sanguine Bond also kicks in and you lose ANOTHER 27 life. Have I analyzed this correctly?
Yes, a total of 54 damage was done. I had no way of gaining life due to Erebos, God of the Dead being on the field.

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net
Last edited:
Reactions: DDBCAE CBAADCBE

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
The "X card." What the fuck. Please tell me you guys also have never heard of it.
Thanks to some info from a lolcow of mine, it's been around for a while. You flash the card if something is too much for you in the game (although there are alternates if you find X-cards too triggering).

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net
Thanks to some info from a lolcow of mine, it's been around for a while. You flash the card if something is too much for you in the game (although there are alternates if you find X-cards too triggering).
If there are pussy's that bad in the tabletop scene they should just leave. I remember the woman I had in my one of my last games in town that all she talked about/ asked about was raping other characters and NPC. None of us had an issue about it, we all just thought it was funny because you wouldn't be doing such things in public. Then I told her about what rogues can do...

Spooky Bones

🦴 🎺 🦴
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Look at this shit. It's as if they were playing a potentially damaging game in an inpatient psych ward full of unstable people who need careful monitoring, not just chilling with friends. If you were on a locked ward full of people who'd just necked a bottle of pills or cut up their wrists I could understand this level of extra padding, but are people that fragile really running around our hobby? Fuck's sake.

5. “You don’t have to explain why.”
Explaining is bad :story: because it’s extra effort, a higher barrier to accomplish your goal, and it can feel like being put on trial. Plus explanations means more time not playing.

6. “It doesn't matter why.”
No judgement. No questioning.

7. ”When we lift or tap this card, we simply edit out anything X-Carded…”
Repeat what they need to do “lift the card” and emphasize how it is simple and fast.

8. ”And if there is ever an issue, anyone can call for a break and we can talk privately."
If the X-Card isn't enough and someone needs help, their needs are more important than the game.

robobobo

kiwifarms.net
Well, arguably they aren't really running around so much, they all seem to be shrieking on twitter more than actually playing any games, while the actual gaming groups are still rolling around doing their own thing without any media attention. The thing is that, as with video games, some developers are tying themselves in knots trying to pander to the loud non-gamers on twitter who will be literally killed by nazis if Elminster isn't made a brave Black transwoman, so despite not actually playing games to speak of, there is an impact from them. However, unlike video games, RPGs are constructs of personal creativity, so all a group has to do is ignore any bullshit and keep on doing what they're doing.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Wallace

Cram it in me, baby!
kiwifarms.net
Well, arguably they aren't really running around so much, they all seem to be shrieking on twitter more than actually playing any games, while the actual gaming groups are still rolling around doing their own thing without any media attention. The thing is that, as with video games, some developers are tying themselves in knots trying to pander to the loud non-gamers on twitter who will be literally killed by nazis if Elminster isn't made a brave Black transwoman, so despite not actually playing games to speak of, there is an impact from them. However, unlike video games, RPGs are constructs of personal creativity, so all a group has to do is ignore any bullshit and keep on doing what they're doing.
This is the correct answer. The only time I've actually seen the X card used is at a table full of fat white neckbeards trying to lure in a girl to their Pathfinder game.

The steelman of the X card is that too many people are conflict-adverse or afraid of rocking the boat to speak up about something that bothers them, so it functions like a safeword during sex, or a crutch to help autistic nerds with their social skills. While I can certainly see its use in a con game when you're playing with strangers, my issue is that it's functionally a "trust surrogate". It sends a message to your friends that you don't trust them enough with your safety, while at the same time denying yourself the responsibility to get up and walk away if things become exceptional.

Call it my inner GenX-er speaking, but I can't fathom being so weak-willed and easily intimidated that you're not willing to stand up for yourself in such a situation. It's a fucking game, for crying out loud. But eh, if you need it there to make you feel good about yourself, then you do you. If you start waving it around like a moral cudgel, I'll get up and find a new table.

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net
The woke crowd doesn't understand that all we gamers need is the crunch to have a gaming session. It's up to us to make the fluff. They don't like it, they can find their own groups who will put up with their shit. My old group certainly wouldn't. They would have physically tossed you out the door no fucks given and they would still do so despite being in their 60's and 70's .

Reactions: Spooky Bones

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fine: Putting your gender on your nametag because you're playing cross-gender, especially in a game with no costuming.
Woke: Putting your preferred pronouns on your nametag because someone in the group not only wants their character to be a 'they/them', but also 'because some players are also gender-diverse'.

Larger gaming groups, especially anything even remotely organised, have less control over who can and cannot join, and invariably the rules they have in place for disruptive members is more for the truly problem gamers, rather than simple woke nonsense. But that just means an awful lot of wokeshit can worm its way in under the guise of 'it's not that big a deal and it makes a small group happy'.

Unfortunately, troons gravitate to roleplaying because they're already LARPing in real life. They can be fine individually, but once you get a little group of them together you end up with trouble. Especially if, say, one of them decides to play through their trans trauma in a game not designed for it, sucking others into their drama along the way.

Events in this post may or may not be based on real life.

Syaoran Li

Manager of the Goth IHOP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Gonna be running a New World of Darkness game with two of my IRL friends this weekend, I'm using the old first edition rules since I own them on hard copy. Haven't played any RPG's in a while, but I'm excited to get back into it again.

We're starting out with a Mortals one-shot game for now.

If it goes well, then I might do a full chronicle that incorporates either Vampire: The Requiem or maybe Changeling: The Lost

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net
Fine: Putting your gender on your nametag because you're playing cross-gender, especially in a game with no costuming.
Woke: Putting your preferred pronouns on your nametag because someone in the group not only wants their character to be a 'they/them', but also 'because some players are also gender-diverse'.

Larger gaming groups, especially anything even remotely organised, have less control over who can and cannot join, and invariably the rules they have in place for disruptive members is more for the truly problem gamers, rather than simple woke nonsense. But that just means an awful lot of wokeshit can worm its way in under the guise of 'it's not that big a deal and it makes a small group happy'.

Unfortunately, troons gravitate to roleplaying because they're already LARPing in real life. They can be fine individually, but once you get a little group of them together you end up with trouble. Especially if, say, one of them decides to play through their trans trauma in a game not designed for it, sucking others into their drama along the way.

Events in this post may or may not be based on real life.
I'd love to see how troons do at renaissance faires that care more about reacting fights and the era itself. Would they be able to cope with the fact that trans people were just seen as people who wanted to get out of fighting in wars? How would the feel with chivalry and actual battles in an arena and not get laughed at in a public for the obvious temper tantrum they would have.

Luckily I will never see these sorts of people in the knight school I'll be going to for exerciser after my family moves.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
I'd love to see how troons do at renaissance faires that care more about reacting fights and the era itself. Would they be able to cope with the fact that trans people were just seen as people who wanted to get out of fighting in wars? How would the feel with chivalry and actual battles in an arena and not get laughed at in a public for the obvious temper tantrum they would have.

Luckily I will never see these sorts of people in the knight school I'll be going to for exerciser after my family moves.
Or their prefered pronouns would get them laughed at. BTW, knight school sounds awesome.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

Autumnal Equinox

Dinsdale!
kiwifarms.net
X cards? Pronouns on character sheets? Tabletop too triggering?

This is why I've only ever played tabletop games with personal friends, my brothers and a few of their friends. We've had girls at the table, we've had gay guys at the table. Nobody gave a fuck. We were there to have fun and play a game. The only thing that was ever off limits at the table was bringing in rape plots. It honestly kind of bums me out that this awesome hobby that has so much potential for creativity and teamwork is slowly being turned into a blunt political tool for the woketards. Makes me ironically miss the days when tabletop was seen as something only losers and edgelords were into.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

Buying a Switch & Animal Crossing with Trump bucks
kiwifarms.net

Oh, I have experience with how these types deal with these sorts of questions. For instance, I once had to deal with a DM who became upset because I, playing a woman who though she had fought in many wars and slaughtered many people in the name of her king, decided to have her struggling with guilt over her actions while still pining for the thrill of battle in a very hypocritically human sort of way.
The DM also didn't understand that while she preferred living in seclusion amid the dense jungles and forests foraging for food and building shelter on her own, circumstances in her life necessitate that she currently live in the city. It's almost like normal people have to do things they don't like all the time. Who would've thought?

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net
Oh, I have experience with how these types deal with these sorts of questions. For instance, I once had to deal with a DM who became upset because I, playing a woman who though she had fought in many wars and slaughtered many people in the name of her king, decided to have her struggling with guilt over her actions while still pining for the thrill of battle in a very hypocritically human sort of way.
The DM also didn't understand that while she preferred living in seclusion amid the dense jungles and forests foraging for food and building shelter on her own, circumstances in her life necessitate that she currently live in the city. It's almost like normal people have to do things they don't like all the time. Who would've thought?
I've only ever played a female character once. Elf female bard who thought she was the greatest dancer in the world. Couldn't climb a tree to save her life (literally), always had the half-orc claim he was going to rape her in her sleep. I didn't think much of it, the elf kept enough sharp objects on her to make touching her a unwise decision and she was a bitch to attack just due to how broken D&D 3.X could be.

Never ask me to play as the "healer", it never works out well for the party. Either I heal like shit or I play as an "evil" cleric who only has inflict spells.

• Autistic
Reactions: Sinners Sandwich
Tags
None