Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is anyone here familiar with Classic Battletech? I played the HBS Video Game and it sort of brought me back to the tabletop, but I wondered if there are new rules (well, new compared to my 2002 book). The old game is sort of clunky in how hard it can be to hit an opponent at times, so I wondered if there have been any changes lately that would make buying a new rulebook pay off... and also, where the fuck do I start with the new rulebooks? Total Warfare?

Reactions: Karl_der_Grosse

Zaryiu

No one important
kiwifarms.net
Any of you have played Pathfinder Kingmaker? I'm trying to make a Paladin or Inquisitor and was interestedd to see if you had suggestions for builds with or without multiclassing. Ithought of posting this post here since i thought you might know the crunch better than me as far as Kingmaker is

thx1138

Are you now, or have you ever been?
kiwifarms.net
Hello friends. You remember D&D's new setting book? The Critical Role one you all asked for? Of course you remember. It's out now.
Thanks, I was hoping to stave off cancer until I hit my 60s, but reading through this gave it to me a bit early.

God all mighty is this what passes for Dungeons and Dragons these days?

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
New episode of Homebrew Hell:

I did NOT know there was so much 4e Homebrew. Like holy shit, there's so much of it I'm not even kidding.

Oh, and anyone curious on me dumping a setting I made? Because I wouldn't mind showing off the Gunloque setting I've written for my twin campaigns.

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
New episode of Homebrew Hell:

I did NOT know there was so much 4e Homebrew. Like holy shit, there's so much of it I'm not even kidding.

Oh, and anyone curious on me dumping a setting I made? Because I wouldn't mind showing off the Gunloque setting I've written for my twin campaigns.
It's just as bad as original 3.0 Edition. I have a Homebrew folder kicking around somewhere.

WinchesterPremium

kiwifarms.net
Is anyone here familiar with Classic Battletech? I played the HBS Video Game and it sort of brought me back to the tabletop, but I wondered if there are new rules (well, new compared to my 2002 book). The old game is sort of clunky in how hard it can be to hit an opponent at times, so I wondered if there have been any changes lately that would make buying a new rulebook pay off... and also, where the fuck do I start with the new rulebooks? Total Warfare?
The Trove has all the battletech stuff, I'd just start there and read what looks interesting. If you're the type to go out and actually buy things you can do that after picking the book you like.

I'm not really into it myself and can't really give any recommendations

Reactions: RomanesEuntDomus

Autumnal Equinox

Null killed my avatar
kiwifarms.net
God all mighty is this what passes for Dungeons and Dragons these days?
That's what happens every damn time a hobby starts getting popular and normies and political spergs start taking an interest in it. It's why I'd rather play fucking 4e D&D than have anything to do with 5e, and I hated 4e.

5e is why I advocate gatekeeping.

Edit: good to know who the actual fans of the game are, and who are a bunch of soyboy Johnny-Come-Latelies

Last edited:

Zaryiu

No one important
kiwifarms.net
I haven't read anything 5th Edition, so what nonsense did they pull this time (this time being the time frame 5th has existed)? Is it worse than Pathfinder 1e ended up being? That reminds me, how bad has Pathfinder 2e been?

Karl_der_Grosse

Torah Lovin' Cousin-Fuckin' Pure D Mountain J-e-w
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been going through a new book white I work called Spectacluar Settlements from Nord Gaming and so far it's not that bad when it comes to building a city. It seems pretty generic when it comes to rules so while it's supposed to be a 5th Edition supplement I think you could use these rules for any game. Their book still has some blank pages but it's not as bad as their Ultimate NPCs: Skulduggery book which you could probably edit yourself and remove 35% of the pages used. There's certainly more information in the city building than anything Pathfinder did for Kingmaker/ Ultimate Campaign or even what Legendary Games tried to flesh out with their Ultimate series of pdf's.

I will probably implement these rules for when I start up a new RPG campaign and will probably be my go to book for designing cities.
City-State of the Invincible Overlord is the only book I've used for city design going back over 25 years. Anything and everything you need is in there. I like to mix and match the buildings and the NPCs, I've never even come close to exhausting either one.

I have a fun one-shot idea for a scenario that I ran a few years back and people really enjoyed. The premise is that your players are a band of adventurers who live near a series of caves and dungeons. For decades they've been happily looting the place and cheerfully killing anything that got in their way. Now they've gotten a bit older and have settled down in their village to enjoy their retirement. Unfortunately for them, the descendants of their victims have figured out where they live and put aside their differences to come to their village and get their stuff back and stomp them. The way I ran it was, the party was physically weak in various ways (lower hp than their level would usually have, higher critical failure chance, magic-user spell miscast chance being elevated, especially for high-level spells) but had some powerful magic items (years and years of loot). So the party was still quite powerful, but fragile. Done right by tailoring specific monsters with specific abilities to target specific party members, the results can be quite fair.

I'm going to see if I can dig up my old info and maybe put it online. This was so long ago I ran it in ADD 2nd Edition but I don't see any reason it can't be adapted to whatever.

Mr. Manchester

Clickity Clack
kiwifarms.net
5e is okay I guess. It does it's job, but in a very simple way.

I've played a bunch of it but I haven't really felt that magic from it like I have in 3.5 d&d or shadowrun 3.0. I can't put my finger on it but there's something missing. Maybe it's complexity I like?

Starscreams Cape

Read my posts in his voice
kiwifarms.net
5e is pretty good for a narrative style play. 4e gave players A LOT of things to do in combat. For some groups (raises hand) that was not a problem. We are big into minis, tactics, etc.

I can appreciate people who don't emphasize combat not liking 4e. But there are folks I know who probably secretly liked 4e but got carried away with the gay nerd inquisition against it and, like Peter, denied it 3 times.

I liked 4e. The monster manual gave you low-mid-high options for many monsters. Minions are fucking awesome. The Warlord was an amazing class. Yes, the Critical Role faggots would have hated it. Maybe that's a good enough reason for some of the people who didn't appreciate it to take a fresh look.

EDIT: I should say that I really love the Advantage and Disadvantage mechanic in 5e.
Also....

Hello friends. You remember D&D's new setting book? The Critical Role one you all asked for? Of course you remember. It's out now.
Literally, a thicc tiefling with blue hair.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
Was wanting to play some games with friends but quarantine is in the way.

Has anyone tried Tabletop Simulator? Is it a good alternative?

Mr. Manchester

Clickity Clack
kiwifarms.net
Was wanting to play some games with friends but quarantine is in the way.

Has anyone tried Tabletop Simulator? Is it a good alternative?
TTS does everything you want it to do but it'll take some set up. If you like downloading and sifting through a different minis and terrain so you can dump it on a battle-mat quickly its a great program. It doesn't take well to toaster computers, so be mindful of your friends' ability to use it. If that's not a problem though there's a shit ton you can do with it. You can play 40k on that shit relatively easily too, which is impressive.

Roll 20 does the job too and is free. You're going to have to do a little more work with maps and stuff and it's not as pretty by a long shot, but it'll do the trick.

Finally you can just trust your friends to roll dice, do combat as theater of the mind, and post pictures in discord if you really need them. Dungeon crawls can be a lot of fun if you make them draw maps on your descriptions (because they'll get shit wrong and get lost sometimes).

Tags
None