Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

WinchesterPremium

Molṑn lolí
kiwifarms.net
Was wanting to play some games with friends but quarantine is in the way.

Has anyone tried Tabletop Simulator? Is it a good alternative?

In addition to what the other guy said, you can always try Play By Post on a forum. It usually goes a lot slower but you can pretty easily find any popular game in places like Mythweavers currently recruiting, and if you're a GM you can find players in just about any forum with a Forum Games section.

Reactions: 100% VIRGIN M00TY

Starscreams Cape

Read my posts in his voice
kiwifarms.net
Roll20 is run by cunts, they have the third most downvoted comment on Reddit where their CEO is being a rampant douche. Their free service is generally okay, but if you reach the point where the free isn't cutting it and you're considering paying, I suggest using another virtual tabletop like Fantasy Grounds instead.
Yep, I used to pay for premium R20 to support them because I really did like their interface. The day I saw the owner's comments towards us white devils I canceled my subscription.

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Roll20 is run by cunts, they have the third most downvoted comment on Reddit where their CEO is being a rampant douche. Their free service is generally okay, but if you reach the point where the free isn't cutting it and you're considering paying, I suggest using another virtual tabletop like Fantasy Grounds instead.
Care to post a screenshot or link? I am unfamiliar with Reddit and this sound like a lot of fun (from a shitstorm perspective).

5e is pretty good for a narrative style play. 4e gave players A LOT of things to do in combat. For some groups (raises hand) that was not a problem. We are big into minis, tactics, etc.
Yeah... I'm playing a sword and board fighter (champion) and even though the game is fun, combat boils down to "hit big evil thing" in every goddamned round for me. The most tactically relevant decision I have, is when to use Action Surge or Second Wind... and the only way to misuse Action Surge is to use it on anything but the biggest MoFo in the room.
Makes me wish I had gone with the Battlemaster instead, his special attacks seem pretty neat. Guess if my Character dies, I'll just make a Battlemaster instead. They are much more versatile and stuff like being able to knock down an enemy or make him focus his attacks on you seems like something absolutely hilarious.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

kiwifarms.net
I have a few things from a D&D server I just joined that I thought were funny enough to share.

Nice Try Hillary.png
Grand Wizard.png

Starscreams Cape

kiwifarms.net
Care to post a screenshot or link? I am unfamiliar with Reddit and this sound like a lot of fun (from a shitstorm perspective).
This gives a good overview. The co-owner, Nolan Jones, cannot take any criticism at all and has a problem with, generally speaking, "five white dudes". He's essentially the kind of guy you'd reflexively laugh at if you saw him run over in the street.

Swiss46

Spooky
kiwifarms.net

Yeah... I'm playing a sword and board fighter (champion) and even though the game is fun, combat boils down to "hit big evil thing" in every goddamned round for me. The most tactically relevant decision I have, is when to use Action Surge or Second Wind... and the only way to misuse Action Surge is to use it on anything but the biggest MoFo in the room.
Makes me wish I had gone with the Battlemaster instead, his special attacks seem pretty neat. Guess if my Character dies, I'll just make a Battlemaster instead. They are much more versatile and stuff like being able to knock down an enemy or make him focus his attacks on you seems like something absolutely hilarious.
I mean in fairness wasn't champion built to be as simple of a fighter as possible? I remember he seemed to get a bunch of bonuses to his crits so he was literally only good at hitting hard with very few control elements. If you want something fun to do instead of hitting just run around and push over enemies so that a hasted rogue can get a shit ton of sneak attacks, unless sneak attack is once a round which would be dumb.

MementoMalum

Personality is overrated, join the hivemind today!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mean in fairness wasn't champion built to be as simple of a fighter as possible? I remember he seemed to get a bunch of bonuses to his crits so he was literally only good at hitting hard with very few control elements. If you want something fun to do instead of hitting just run around and push over enemies so that a hasted rogue can get a shit ton of sneak attacks, unless sneak attack is once a round which would be dumb.
The one tactically-minded player who enjoyed Champion Fighter in my personal experience was the guy who went crit-fishing with as many attacks, buffs, and magical items he could beg, borrow, or "borrow". He had fun, but it was a pretty niche build, and I wouldn't have enjoyed playing it myself.

Also, yeah, sneak attack is once per turn, so the only way to proc it more than once is to get it on other people's turn. I've seen a couple theorycrafts built to trigger it multiple times using reactions and attacks of opportunity, but standard you only use it once per round.

Zaryiu

🌈Hoping SOME sanity will be restored this decade
kiwifarms.net
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 bein no soy and 10 is leaking soy from the pages, how bad is Pathfinder 2E? I still remember the thing some times ago about them going really fucking woke and preachy about wanting no one to be ever triggered and interrupt the game with token or similar stuff with a x on it

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 bein no soy and 10 is leaking soy from the pages, how bad is Pathfinder 2E? I still remember the thing some times ago about them going really fucking woke and preachy about wanting no one to be ever triggered and interrupt the game with token or similar stuff with a x on it
I vaguely remember that it was mechanically shit, but in my gaming group we literally only looked at it once and rejected it for several reasons. Note it isn't due to grognardism, we adapted 5e just fine and actually play a bit of the 2d20 system modiphius had for Star Trek Adventures. It's just that plain shit.

So I dunno, a 7-8?

Starscreams Cape

kiwifarms.net
The "X-card" thing has been around for a little while now, predating Pathfinder, though I'm sure those tards would love to take credit for it. Probably at least 3-4 years in the convention circuit. Unfortunately it's becoming more and more mainstream. I have run games at Gencon before all this nonsense. Now if I did I would personally just hand a $5 bill to anyone who asked for an X-card, tell them to get the fuck out and let the rest of us play.

Last edited:

Lackadaisy

ZA FOOL
kiwifarms.net

My group has had a lot of fun with it. I really l like the three actions per player per turn, and it gives fighters a huge advantage because they're the only ones who can do attacks of opportunity. The system is mechanically a step in the right direction for Pathfinder to go beyond 3.75 but I haven't dug into any of the woke lore. Can't remember much woke shit in the rules other than races are now Ancestries and some shit about "roleplaying is a safe space for everyone!" But we ignore all that and just get down to busting heads and getting into misadventures as a bumbling goblin tribe.

Starscreams Cape

kiwifarms.net
My group has had a lot of fun with it. I really l like the three actions per player per turn, and it gives fighters a huge advantage because they're the only ones who can do attacks of opportunity. The system is mechanically a step in the right direction for Pathfinder to go beyond 3.75 but I haven't dug into any of the woke lore. Can't remember much woke shit in the rules other than races are now Ancestries and some shit about "roleplaying is a safe space for everyone!" But we ignore all that and just get down to busting heads and getting into misadventures as a bumbling goblin tribe.
That is the saving grace. Unless these dumbasses find a way to make the mechanics of these games woke, which would be quite a feat, they can still be valuable. The only thing you have to wrestle with is financially supporting companied like Paizo and WotC, who have gone full woke. I will still buy some professional material but my purchases are not nearly what they once were in 4e and prior.

Lackadaisy

ZA FOOL
kiwifarms.net
That is the saving grace. Unless these dumbasses find a way to make the mechanics of these games woke, which would be quite a feat, they can still be valuable. The only thing you have to wrestle with is financially supporting companied like Paizo and WotC, who have gone full woke. I will still buy some professional material but my purchases are not nearly what they once were in 4e and prior.

If 5e is what you're playing, all the official stuff is available at 5e.tools for free.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

kiwifarms.net
Found my old DM's cringey Google Doc abouthis setting and thought I'd drop it here, and yes all the names are MyLittlePony references and bad puns because he's a massive faggot.

REGENDarySumanai

The only good goblin is a dead goblin!
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How does one get in the mood of creating things for campaigns? I've been finding it rather interesting that I tend to do well with tabletop stuff with alcohol in my system.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How does one get in the mood of creating things for campaigns? I've been finding it rather interesting that I tend to do well with tabletop stuff with alcohol in my system.
I tend to get inspired with music more often than not; I often can paint events in my head just by listening to something and then just use the relative shitload of history knowledge in my head to make it work.

Starscreams Cape

kiwifarms.net
I do when I'm actually running a game, but only if I start drinking when the game starts. I also drink absinthe which is not too bad for this, as you stay relatively clear headed longer. Downside is a 3-extra-strength-tylenol hangover.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We were able to get together Saturday. Here's more of Derek's manifesto:

By the way, I've read ahead, and Derek is somehow the THIRSTIEST person I've read on the show. How the fuck a man with a wife and kids gets that way is unbelievable.

Tags
None