Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

Jet Fuel Johnny

Full Metal Sperg
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Closed out the last campaign after the group put the gods back in place. Not great, not bad, mostly a bit to get used to everyone's play styles and get a feel for how everyone interacts.

We went with just guessing for what to do next.

Ended up with a party of:

Human ghetto curse monger (witch)
Orcish Leg Breaker LE "Paladin" of Khargest (Grummsh)
Tiefling Enforcer (monk)
Kobold drug dealer/cooker (Alchemist)

We were kind of messing around and I told them they could go over their max wealth by up to 100gp and they could swap money around to help each other out, but any leftover money was changed to copper pieces and the kobold bought an alchemy lab (Comes with free basement with sewer access) after bumming money from the other characters and taking out a loan of 100gp.

It started as a joke when the player asked "Can my kobold make or test drugs and potions and poisons" when someone went "His mom is all 'my baby own his own crack house, not like his lazy ass brothers who too lazy to mug a motherfucker" and the orc's player was all "My momma proud of me. Tells all her friends: THat's my baby right there, she can break an elf's thumb in two places with one yank. Unlike your son who just begs down at the docks." The picture my player chose for his Tiefling was more 2E than 5E. Big muscular dude covered in scars with a lizard tongue, horns, purple skin, spikes coming out of his skin. Dude LOOKS half-demonic. We were laughing about how his mother is all "My son walks me to the majong parlor and people get out of the way. He teaches them respect, unlike your son, who cavorts with elven whores."

We did some background rolls, two people got "The Boss" for early years influences. Three rolled "The War" for the background event (We roll twice on that). They've all got parents, siblings, grandmothers, nieces and other family members. All them had crimes in their background.

I said "Fuck it, you can all be evil."

The whole time I was playing with the map while they made their characters. Ended up with a 120x120 map of a port city, four stories high (5 if you count the roofs), basement/sewers, sewers. The players wanted dungeon possibilities (Fine, but I ain't doing no fucking 'dungeon ecology shit' so if you see a dragon in a 30x30 room you can just STFU) so we decided that the city is built on the ruins of 3 older cities, so that gave us a reason for dungeons.

We decided that everything was "silver standard" meaning if it says GP in the book, it's actually the price in silver, except for magic items, artwork, gems, shit like that.

So we had "The War" in the backgrounds. We have no idea how the races interact, so we thought about it and BS'd about it.

Well, we've got The War, and the kobold is only 10 (Kobold lyfe yo!) so we rolled a d10 for how long ago it ended and got a 2. So The War ended 2 years ago.

Just dicking around, we came up with: The War is Over. Orcs, kobolds, and hobgoblins have moved into the city slums. The elves came out on the losing side of the war, so they're second class citizens, slaves, arrogant nobles who had enough money and political juice to keep power. The dwarves aligned with the humans against the elves. Not sure about the rest. We decided that part of the city is still in ruins and that's where the PC's live. (Cracklab comes with FREE basement)

I flat out told them their first adventures are going to be shit like "Go down to the docks and break Mulvan's thumb to remind him he owes me majong money" and "Guard the kobold while he checks the purity of the drugs" and shit like that. I told them flat out I was going to yank old Shadowrun and Cyberpunk shit to make them run and they were fine with that.

The best part is, I told the tiefling player that he'd have social issues. People are afraid of him because he's obviously demonic.

Not
dungeons-dragons-tiefling-role-playing-game-neytiri-png-favpng-JXxt9r6fw3tsLeBZpJA0nZ9w9.jpg

And more
imsadfasdfasdfeeeages.jpg

So he parlayed the social problems (Guards will roust him, people avoid him, people afraid of him, everyone will look down on him) into intimidation bonus of +1/2 level.

This is looking interesting. "IT'S AN ALCHEMY LAB NOT A CRACK HOUSE!" This is the kind of game that is going to rely heavy on the NPC's being stable.

Also talked to them about how they're not supposed to be armed or wearing armor (The Paladin can get away with it because... well... Paladin) or get caught by the guard, so running might be an option.

Lots of "I think I'll drop a skill point in acrobatics/diplomacy/intimidation/sense motive" right off the bat.

The list of ToDo for me though, man. I need to come up with guilds. I think I'll come up with 3 different crime guilds (Dockside, noble area, slums) that all fight over commoner/merchant area turf, crooked guards, an assassin guild or two, some normal medieval guilds. Have city guards moonlighting as security for shops and restaurants. Going to map out the sewers and have part of it be revealed from the get-go to the players (probably access to the NotACrackHouse to the nearest street access). I made sure the city was BIG, to ensure chase scenes had plenty of room, rooftop to rooftop stuff will work, allow PC's to get lost as well as be able to have gang turfs and the like.

city-2.jpg

Hopefully this shit will run good.

Any suggestions for Gutter PC's willing to drown a motherfucker in a rain barrel over unpaid gambling debts, hit me up.

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I feel like my wanton use of lethal force and exceeding amounts of violence are seriously hampered by moral deliberations of my fellow players.
When an NPC Vampire attacks me, I should have the right -NAY!- obligation, to mutilate him and turn him into chunky salsa, no matter how important of a hostage he is.

Last edited:

MAPK phosphatase

Cell Death Regulator
kiwifarms.net
Change of topic:
Anyone interested in playing Delta Green? It's a d100-based RPG derived from the venerable Call of Cthulhu lineage, revolving around a US governmental agency commissioned to investigate and contain "unnatural" incidents. Think Twin Peaks or The X-Files, but with a more contemporary setting and more abstract weirdness. Probably one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and I've been hankering to run it. I'd be willing to take new players, the setup I have for the campaign will allow for some lower-stakes introduction to how the system works.
Throwing in some art from the rulebooks to give an idea of the overall tone.
View attachment 1279602
View attachment 1279606
View attachment 1279607
Sign me the fuck up. I hope I'm not too late.

Randall Fragg

Chuck's Buck n' Suck
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Closed out the last campaign after the group put the gods back in place. Not great, not bad, mostly a bit to get used to everyone's play styles and get a feel for how everyone interacts.

We went with just guessing for what to do next.

Ended up with a party of:

Human ghetto curse monger (witch)
Orcish Leg Breaker LE "Paladin" of Khargest (Grummsh)
Tiefling Enforcer (monk)
Kobold drug dealer/cooker (Alchemist)

We were kind of messing around and I told them they could go over their max wealth by up to 100gp and they could swap money around to help each other out, but any leftover money was changed to copper pieces and the kobold bought an alchemy lab (Comes with free basement with sewer access) after bumming money from the other characters and taking out a loan of 100gp.

It started as a joke when the player asked "Can my kobold make or test drugs and potions and poisons" when someone went "His mom is all 'my baby own his own crack house, not like his lazy ass brothers who too lazy to mug a motherfucker" and the orc's player was all "My momma proud of me. Tells all her friends: THat's my baby right there, she can break an elf's thumb in two places with one yank. Unlike your son who just begs down at the docks." The picture my player chose for his Tiefling was more 2E than 5E. Big muscular dude covered in scars with a lizard tongue, horns, purple skin, spikes coming out of his skin. Dude LOOKS half-demonic. We were laughing about how his mother is all "My son walks me to the majong parlor and people get out of the way. He teaches them respect, unlike your son, who cavorts with elven whores."

We did some background rolls, two people got "The Boss" for early years influences. Three rolled "The War" for the background event (We roll twice on that). They've all got parents, siblings, grandmothers, nieces and other family members. All them had crimes in their background.

I said "Fuck it, you can all be evil."

The whole time I was playing with the map while they made their characters. Ended up with a 120x120 map of a port city, four stories high (5 if you count the roofs), basement/sewers, sewers. The players wanted dungeon possibilities (Fine, but I ain't doing no fucking 'dungeon ecology shit' so if you see a dragon in a 30x30 room you can just STFU) so we decided that the city is built on the ruins of 3 older cities, so that gave us a reason for dungeons.

We decided that everything was "silver standard" meaning if it says GP in the book, it's actually the price in silver, except for magic items, artwork, gems, shit like that.

So we had "The War" in the backgrounds. We have no idea how the races interact, so we thought about it and BS'd about it.

Well, we've got The War, and the kobold is only 10 (Kobold lyfe yo!) so we rolled a d10 for how long ago it ended and got a 2. So The War ended 2 years ago.

Just dicking around, we came up with: The War is Over. Orcs, kobolds, and hobgoblins have moved into the city slums. The elves came out on the losing side of the war, so they're second class citizens, slaves, arrogant nobles who had enough money and political juice to keep power. The dwarves aligned with the humans against the elves. Not sure about the rest. We decided that part of the city is still in ruins and that's where the PC's live. (Cracklab comes with FREE basement)

I flat out told them their first adventures are going to be shit like "Go down to the docks and break Mulvan's thumb to remind him he owes me majong money" and "Guard the kobold while he checks the purity of the drugs" and shit like that. I told them flat out I was going to yank old Shadowrun and Cyberpunk shit to make them run and they were fine with that.

The best part is, I told the tiefling player that he'd have social issues. People are afraid of him because he's obviously demonic.

Not
View attachment 1284131
And more
View attachment 1284135

So he parlayed the social problems (Guards will roust him, people avoid him, people afraid of him, everyone will look down on him) into intimidation bonus of +1/2 level.

This is looking interesting. "IT'S AN ALCHEMY LAB NOT A CRACK HOUSE!" This is the kind of game that is going to rely heavy on the NPC's being stable.

Also talked to them about how they're not supposed to be armed or wearing armor (The Paladin can get away with it because... well... Paladin) or get caught by the guard, so running might be an option.

Lots of "I think I'll drop a skill point in acrobatics/diplomacy/intimidation/sense motive" right off the bat.

The list of ToDo for me though, man. I need to come up with guilds. I think I'll come up with 3 different crime guilds (Dockside, noble area, slums) that all fight over commoner/merchant area turf, crooked guards, an assassin guild or two, some normal medieval guilds. Have city guards moonlighting as security for shops and restaurants. Going to map out the sewers and have part of it be revealed from the get-go to the players (probably access to the NotACrackHouse to the nearest street access). I made sure the city was BIG, to ensure chase scenes had plenty of room, rooftop to rooftop stuff will work, allow PC's to get lost as well as be able to have gang turfs and the like.

View attachment 1284159

Hopefully this shit will run good.

Any suggestions for Gutter PC's willing to drown a motherfucker in a rain barrel over unpaid gambling debts, hit me up.
If you need inspiration for local noble families, I made a random dynasty generator a while back out of boredom, thought I'd share it here.
Let me know what kind of weird shit you get.

This happened in our weekend game last week, my group is 4th edition, and we are in our epic levels. Don't look at me that way, we like the character building in 4E more than 3E.

anyways, we are fighting a boss, I am a Paladin/Bard Hybrid, a Tanky Skald with lots of reaction effects since my main actions in a turn are usually used up by using basic attacks to trigger my Skald's aura. My DM has..the most absurd luck rolling our group has ever seen.

Turn 1 : Boss Crits using his once per encounter "FUCK YOU" attack. hits me for my entire HP Bar, almost exactly
Me : uses power that I can use the first time every day I am reduced to zero, I go to 50% HP

Turn 2 : Boss Crits me with his normal attack..hits me to Zero again
Me : Uses a power I can use if I am reduced to zero, spend 4 Healing surges and go back to max HP.

Turn 3/4 : Boss Crits me another two times.
Turn : 4 I use a power that reduces damage I take, using a luck token to augment it..I take almost no damage from crit 4

Turn 5 - Boss is now bloody, gets another once per encounter fuck you attack..DM Rolls it..finally misses after 4 crits in a row.
Me : Uses the ability I get force an enemy to re-do the attack they just missed on me against itself..He Crits himself.

My DM was tilted.

Jet Fuel Johnny

Full Metal Sperg
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm just curious if there are any Ravenloft fans in this thread. You see, I'm going back to writing fan stuff for that setting so wish me luck.
Playing it since the original I6 module. Had the black box and everything up to d20 (I hated the Arthaus shit).

Good luck! It's a setting that definitely needs love.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
Playing it since the original I6 module. Had the black box and everything up to d20 (I hated the Arthaus shit).

Good luck! It's a setting that definitely needs love.
Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about Arthaus' work on it? For me, I've been lucky to run a whole campaign which I hoped the players liked (with a self-made Darklord). I moved away so I can't ask them.

I agree, the setting needs all the love it can get. I'm working on a write up of the domain of Pharazia and the challenge is staying loyal to the setting while keeping it from being just "desert-Nidala". I've added a new plot where the Darklord has now made a religion around himself in hopes it will get him closer to his goals.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
Speaking on how old 5th edition is...shouldn't we be hearing rumbling of 6th edition soon?

I'm mixed, I've had a pretty good time with 5th so far, but I would like some improvements and some sort of varient grapple/sunder rules. (Nothing that could be abused like in 3.5 but something to add more flavor to combat.)

I just hope WoTC gets off the woke/sjw bandwagon during its creation. 5th had it in a few areas but it was mostly ignorable.

knightlautrec

Keh heh heh heh…
kiwifarms.net
I'm just curious if there are any Ravenloft fans in this thread. You see, I'm going back to writing fan stuff for that setting so wish me luck.
Huge Ravenloft fan. I think the best thing about it isn't just the over arching horror but the investigation side. There's a lot of mystery in Ravenloft and uncovering it is one of satisfying parts not just the looting and killing. That's why I enjoyed the books as well.

So what do you all think of 9chan's neutg board?
Autistic so far. Hopefully more join but the tranny finger pointing is real old.

Change of topic:
Anyone interested in playing Delta Green? It's a d100-based RPG derived from the venerable Call of Cthulhu lineage, revolving around a US governmental agency commissioned to investigate and contain "unnatural" incidents. Think Twin Peaks or The X-Files, but with a more contemporary setting and more abstract weirdness. Probably one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and I've been hankering to run it. I'd be willing to take new players, the setup I have for the campaign will allow for some lower-stakes introduction to how the system works.
Throwing in some art from the rulebooks to give an idea of the overall tone.
View attachment 1279602
View attachment 1279606
View attachment 1279607
How are you running it? Delta Green is bad ass. It can spin off into intense meticulous faffing ala Shadowrun and Mage but honestly that's why I like it.

Godzilla1984

Skreeeonk!
kiwifarms.net
Speaking on how old 5th edition is...shouldn't we be hearing rumbling of 6th edition soon?

I'm mixed, I've had a pretty good time with 5th so far, but I would like some improvements and some sort of varient grapple/sunder rules. (Nothing that could be abused like in 3.5 but something to add more flavor to combat.)

I just hope WoTC gets off the woke/sjw bandwagon during its creation. 5th had it in a few areas but it was mostly ignorable.
As far as WotC not being woke:
That ship sank a long time ago.
Let it go.

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
My old Star Wars d6 game should be back up and running soon after my group had a short hiatus after two weeks (managed to get in a game before we had to postpone it). It's nice to get to get together with my old group and shoot the shit. May even revive our old AD&D campaign after nearly two decades. We still have a lot of the cosmos to fuck up. I think we had more fun with our characters in AD&D than in 3.x when we ported them over so we're just going to start off where we left off in AD&D than just re-porting our characters back and just treat 3.x as a fever dream.

REGENDarySumanai

"Good morning motherfuckers!" - Kiryuu Coco
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My old Star Wars d6 game should be back up and running soon after my group had a short hiatus after two weeks (managed to get in a game before we had to postpone it). It's nice to get to get together with my old group and shoot the shit. May even revive our old AD&D campaign after nearly two decades. We still have a lot of the cosmos to fuck up. I think we had more fun with our characters in AD&D than in 3.x when we ported them over so we're just going to start off where we left off in AD&D than just re-porting our characters back and just treat 3.x as a fever dream.
3.X is an unbalanced mess so I can see why you want to go back to AD&D.

• Agree
Reactions: Swiss46

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net
3.X is an unbalanced mess so I can see why you want to go back to AD&D.
Pathfinder did a good job with balancing out 3.X (before Mythic became a thing) but my old group never made that switch. Hard to steer 60/70 year olds into new games. They wont even touch D&D 5th Edition since it's hard to do high/ epic fantasy in it. I think the most recent tabletop game they played was Ars Magica 5th Edition.

Jet Fuel Johnny

Full Metal Sperg
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about Arthaus' work on it?
I don't know exactly what, but I bought some of the early d20 material by Arthaus and really didn't like it. It kind of felt like they lost the plot, but then, I felt that way about TSR after the whole "Grand Conjunction" bullshittery.

Pathfinder did a good job with balancing out 3.X (before Mythic became a thing) but my old group never made that switch. Hard to steer 60/70 year olds into new games. They wont even touch D&D 5th Edition since it's hard to do high/ epic fantasy in it. I think the most recent tabletop game they played was Ars Magica 5th Edition.
Mythic isn't really that bad. The campaign I finished the group was all the way up at Tier 7 for Mythic. It really added something to the game, but then, it was used like a faucet and there was homebrew issues with it.

Welp, I decided to rebuild my city map completely. It's already huge, but I decided to go full bore and reconstruct the major parts of it.

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net
I don't know exactly what, but I bought some of the early d20 material by Arthaus and really didn't like it. It kind of felt like they lost the plot, but then, I felt that way about TSR after the whole "Grand Conjunction" bullshittery.

Mythic isn't really that bad. The campaign I finished the group was all the way up at Tier 7 for Mythic. It really added something to the game, but then, it was used like a faucet and there was homebrew issues with it.

Welp, I decided to rebuild my city map completely. It's already huge, but I decided to go full bore and reconstruct the major parts of it.
I managed to completely break Pathfinder Mythic rules the first day it came out, Legendary Games tried to balance out the issues it had, but I found Mythic Create Water to be OP and ruined campaigns with that instead.

Jet Fuel Johnny

Full Metal Sperg
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I managed to completely break Pathfinder Mythic rules the first day it came out, Legendary Games tried to balance out the issues it had, but I found Mythic Create Water to be OP and ruined campaigns with that instead.
Oh, yeah, it can totally be used to break the campaign. I guess I"m lucky, my current group isn't interested in breaking the campaign.

Tags
None