Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
He's known for being a mega fag who virtue signals
View attachment 1321375
Never had an issue at my games in 34 years when it comes to women or minorities. If you did Mike then that says more about you than other gamers. I remember being told by one of the guys I gamed with that they figured I'd marry their daughter since we originally shared a lot in common. That never came to pass.

Hell, one of the people who originally set up our RPG groups in my city was a woman.

Senior Lexmechanic

Now Senior Lexmaniac
kiwifarms.net
BLM is a black-supremacist movement that engages in riots and looting. Their stated goals are for blacks to be above the law and given money for existing. Having a major gaming company diverting revenues from normal purchases to said group is extremely immoral, no different than a store openly donating proceeds from purchase to a group like the NRA or the Proud Boys.
1. I move in circles that are probably further left than most people on this site, and have literally never encountered a member of BLM who believes that blacks "should be above the law" or that they, specifically, should be given "money just for existing": UBI isn't an uncommon belief in the same circles, but it's seen as a "human right" that everyone should benefit from.
2. Comparing two grassroots political movements to the corporate-run gun lobby and suggesting all three are morally equivalent to the IRA or Al-Qaeda shows you have a very... different understanding of politics compared to me.
>inb4 people declare that BLM/Proud Boys are funded by corrupt private interests, while Proud Boys/BLM are a True and Honest grassroots movement.
And that's the last I have to say about contemporary politics in this thread; I don't want to push it OT.

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
I should point out that one of the best places in town to game is run by a woman. The tabletop cafe is run by women. Many of the get together's are run by women and are often the ones who want to try new games (us men here prefer to only play one game and will never play anything else so it's handy having a group of people willing to set up new games). I believe many of the people who run out pop culture fairs are women (that run the world builder seminars at least)

Women have been part of the hobby ever since Gary, David, and friends sat down and came up with the rules and world setting and even today, they keep the real GenCon (GaryCon) alive and well.

Fuck the people who say women have a hard time in the hobby. The only "gatekeepers" I see are the new Liberal players.

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
You can let your players change the setting if you really want. Its not like you have to call up GW and say "Hey, in my last DH game my players pulled out a bunch of Old One tech and used it to assassinate the God Emperor, you can't use him anymore. Please pass this on to everyone." People sometimes get weird about that, the world only exists to get changed by the players. You probably won't use the setting again and don't really have to force "canon" outcomes in most cases. Its their world to screw with as appropriate to their level of power and influence.

Yeah that's certainly true, but his outline didnt really give the galactic changing events feel. If that's he's running then by all means Old one Tech is viable. The other option is to put old one tech as around Eldar Empire tier where it's mega powerful but not universe shattering.

Lackadaisy

ZA FOOL
kiwifarms.net
Also I cut out the golden ballsack elephant half the fucking book uses because DM pcs are dumb and having one being a super special magic elephant who knew the fallen angle before her fall is incredibly gay.
Well, now I just have to know what this is all about.

Reactions: Next Task

Swiss46

White Trash Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Well, now I just have to know what this is all about.
There's a floating golden elephant named holly who was the mount of Zariel before her fall. She's supposed to follow the party around and have visions to guide them. The book is written so much around her and not the party that it has a revival scenario for her. Also the art makes her look remarkably like a floating golden ballsack.

Edit: spelling

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I finally finished editing the last part of our journey through Changing Breeds:
There is a grand total of 2.5 sections that we unabashedly like, and only like 1.25 sections that are good and not in a broken way. The Bird Shifters and Old Man Possum are the only good things from that book, and it should be a miniature .pdf file due to that.

Seriously, War Against the Pure if you want good alternate were-beings. The yandere for humanity werecats, the lordly werebulls, fucking deep ones, and satanic wereroaches are awesome. This book is not.
There's a floating golden elephant named holly who was the mount of Zariel before her fall. She's supposed to follow the party around and have visions to guide them. The book is written so much around her and not the party that it has a revival scenario for her. Also the art makes her look remarkably like a floating golden ballsack.

Edit: spelling
That's amazingly stupid for a module; it's telling that it's an author's pet for some reason. Why, I don't know, but the how is obvious; hack writers.

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
So interesting game tonight...

2 games in with this DM and group. Level 6 half-orc barbarian. Bear totem with a greataxe strength build.

At the end of session one we came across a berserker axe, my barbarian was happy with his greataxe and the party put it in his bag of holding since he's acting as party pack mule. We had no idea what it was at the time. No detect magic or identify.

DM rulled my barbarian attuned to it and felt compelled to use it over his normal weapon. (DM sent note it was straight up LOTR one ring level. Aka "my precious" curse.)

We were in the middle of a dungeon and no one had remove curse. Obviously combat happened and the Barbarian failed the DC 15 wisdom save. I then spent the next hour and a half being forced to kill the rest of the party. Killing a few characters who had been playing together for some time. I shredded the rogue, sorcerer and bard within short order and was able to outlast the fighter thanks to superior hit points and terrain.

Needless to say it sucked and drained all the fun out of the room. I admittedly disengaged and began web browsing between rounds. Kept polite but I probably had a disgruntled/frustrated tone after a bit.

After all was said and done, I had my barbarian in horror pull out a dagger and slit his own throat since he directly broke his code of honor killing his companions.

I'm not sure how to proceed with this DM, player agency IMO is rather important and while I get and fully support bad things can and should happen, this felt a little egregious to me. Felt really shitty for all the other players who spent a lot of time coming up with their characters and even a few who drew full blown portraits.

Last edited:

knightlautrec

Keh heh heh heh…
kiwifarms.net

2 games in with this DM and group. Level 6 half-orc barbarian. Bear totem with a greataxe strength build.

At the end of session one we came across a berserker axe, my barbarian was happy with his greataxe and the party put it in his bag of holding since he's acting as party pack mule. We had no idea what it was at the time. No detect magic or identify.

DM rulled my barbarian attuned to it and felt compelled to use it over his normal weapon. (DM sent note it was straight up LOTR one ring level. Aka "my precious" curse.)

We were in the middle of a dungeon and no one had remove curse. Obviously combat happened and the Barbarian failed the DC 15 wisdom save. I then spent the next hour and a half being forced to kill the rest of the party. Killing a few characters who had been playing together for some time. I shredded the rogue, sorcerer and bard within short order and was able to outlast the fighter thanks to superior hit points and terrain.

Needless to say it sucked and drained all the fun out of the room. I admittedly disengaged and began web browsing between rounds. Kept polite but I probably had a disgruntled/frustrated tone after a bit.

After all was said and done, I had my barbarian in horror pull out a dagger and slit his own throat since he directly broke his code of honor killing his companions.

I not sure how to proceed with this DM, player agency IMO is rather important and while I get and fully support bad things can and should happen, this felt a little egregious to me. Felt really shitty for all the other players who spent a lot of time coming up with their characters and even a few who drew full blown portraits.
This is on the DM and they sound shitty. Giving you a My Precious Moment is fine - giving you temptations and slowly trying to twist the character into believing that the axe is his friend and everyone else is worthy of suspicion? Also fine and dandy. Give a player conflict from an evil item is cool and arguably could be done well if you start sending the player messages from the axe and building up a rapport. Convincing a character to side with the axe is so much more compelling than a brute force option and means the party has to convince the character to trust them. But that would require work and it sounds like your shitty DM didn't wanna do any.

Making you do a high DC save (15 is arguably pretty high since WIS a dump stat for anyone who isn't a goddamn cleric) and then forcing you to systemically kill everyone in character? Is a shitty bullshit move by the DM. And to have it stop as soon as your character was done so they can have a 'what have I done' moment is shit too. Why does the curse stop then? Why not let it continue?

The only way the DM could have saved this was to have the axe steal the souls of the party and have the Barbarian quest to free them from it and restore them to life or march to the most powerful Cleric in the land and demand the Gods raise them.

If your DM just leaves that as campaign end that's shit and I'd be looking for a new DM.

Flaming Insignias

Ready for anything
kiwifarms.net
This is on the DM and they sound shitty. Giving you a My Precious Moment is fine - giving you temptations and slowly trying to twist the character into believing that the axe is his friend and everyone else is worthy of suspicion? Also fine and dandy. Give a player conflict from an evil item is cool and arguably could be done well if you start sending the player messages from the axe and building up a rapport. Convincing a character to side with the axe is so much more compelling than a brute force option and means the party has to convince the character to trust them. But that would require work and it sounds like your shitty DM didn't wanna do any.

Making you do a high DC save (15 is arguably pretty high since WIS a dump stat for anyone who isn't a goddamn cleric) and then forcing you to systemically kill everyone in character? Is a shitty bullshit move by the DM. And to have it stop as soon as your character was done so they can have a 'what have I done' moment is shit too. Why does the curse stop then? Why not let it continue?

The only way the DM could have saved this was to have the axe steal the souls of the party and have the Barbarian quest to free them from it and restore them to life or march to the most powerful Cleric in the land and demand the Gods raise them.

If your DM just leaves that as campaign end that's shit and I'd be looking for a new DM.
I had a similar experience in my current campaign. The team’s grave cleric/paladin had a modified version of CR’s Craven Edge, which required regular feedings of blood to placate it. She failed to feed it during a battle with a white dragon, and it promptly staged a hostile takeover of her conscience. Unlike your story, the battle was short on account of her going berserk against a 9-person party while already injured. The main dilemma was having the cleric pass her WIS save to break the possession, as the sword had woven itself onto her body, preventing us from removing it.
The moral of the story is that it is fine to create a corrupting weapon and cause it to make characters go berserk, but it should probably be done in a more linear and sensible pattern, such as showing the weapon’s dangerous potential and providing a clear catalyst to possession, not just making an unused weapon suddenly turn a character into a frothing beast.

Last edited:

That Guy George

kiwifarms.net

I'm not sure how to proceed with this DM, player agency IMO is rather important and while I get and fully support bad things can and should happen, this felt a little egregious to me. Felt really shitty for all the other players who spent a lot of time coming up with their characters and even a few who drew full blown portraits.
IDK what your G.m. was thinking, but if he thought this would make thing more fun he was dead wrong.
There are plenty of better ways to create interparty drama and conflict then more or less mindcontroling the beatstick to go heracles on his friends. If yah want to do corruption then the key is AGENCY. The player needs to have some hand in it. It aint fun to have a character shift from a wild hero to a frenzied berserker when you had no input. When barbarian picked it up, fine, make him feel compelled to use it. But don't slam him with the checks right away. Make him see how cool it is, how powerful he feels wielding it, how sweet the sight of blood is. If he keeps using it despite signs being there its bad juggu, then he at the least it felt more organic.
Chaos weapons from Warhammer games are a great example of this. Loads of power but they corrupt the soul

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, that's a pile of shit that's all on the DM. Sounds like he either wanted to kill you in a suicide-by-party, or kill everyone else with you as the unwilling weapon. Either way, he took away all forms of player agency and fun by demanding this happen even without your character wielding the weapon, but from inside a Bag of Holding, and he would have known that none of you could detect magic, identify or remove curse with it involved - and if it was a One Ring level curse, then he wasn't going to let it be removed either.

Fuck that DM, sounds like shit, I'd commiserate with the other players because you were all being railroaded and find someone else.

WinchesterPremium

kiwifarms.net
I'll break ranks and say that possession without warning can work, though you have to lower the stakes from "Total TPK" and it has to fit the setting. Something like Rogue Trader's "you have a chance to be possessed by a daemon in the warp randomly while traveling" is fair game. The trick is to remove agency from the character without moving it from the player. Once a character is forcibly possessed by an entity, you can give the player a mission that is contrary to the party's goals but less than a TPK. Once they complete the mission or are stopped, they can then be freed again. As long as your players are good sports and go along with it (and you have an efficient way to secretly communicate. I've really only seen this done in PBP) it can work fairly well. You get your possession, the player gets to keep playing, everyone is happy!

Said mission should make sense for the method of possession, setback the group if it succeeds, but not murder literately everyone if it does so. Back to the RT example the daemon could have a mission to sabotage the Geller field so more daemons can get in. To the Berserk Axe example, the first mission could be something like "The Axe wants you to keep anyone else from touching it". The player can then gollum out over their shiny new axe, alerting the rest of the party IC that you just picked up a cursed weapon. Once you get into battle and fail the test the next mission could be something like "fight the nearest character until it stops moving" -though this would still be harsh for something with little warning (you could give more warning by making it the nearest enemy character for the first activation to establish the stakes). Let the player choose how they fight, don't reactivate it while they're doing possessed actions, and don't insist that they fight to the death. In this way it becomes a plot hook instead of just a player killing tool. Do you stop what you are doing to solve the Barbarian's curse? Do you keep going thinking that you need his power? Do you have the Barbarian go on ahead and cleave through the enemies without support, or stay behind so he doesn't end up hurting anyone? It should still be used sparingly, but you can make it into a story if all the players are up for it.

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

What was your DM like when this happened? My assumption is, that he was into it. Was that suicide your input and if so, how did he react? If it was his idea, how did he bring this up?
Either way, if this guy is new to DMing, that was a major fuckup and you should tell him so. Whether you give him another chance or not depends on how much fun you had before this. If you give him another shot, and if he does something like this again, don't be shy to just go "Fuck this shit and fuck you" and then leave the ongoing game. Don't do him the courtesy of wasting your time to watch him jack off as he railroads your group to death.
If he was an experienced DM, you should send him a box of fine chocolate, where you replaced every item with a chocolate-covered dog turd.

Strangely enough, my character (Fighter), too, has gotten a weapon, that makes him go murdercrazy on a failed wisdom save, that triggers after being hurt.
Thankfully, the DC is 10 (so I pass on a roll of 8 or higher) and it only makes me attack the source of what hit me.
Problem is, if there is no source, I think I attack whoever is closest to me, so that's a ticking time-bomb in itself.

If I try to climb a tree, fall down and sprain my ankle, I might go murdercrazy and attack other party members... but since the weapon's curse also gives me disadvantage when using another weapon, I was thinking maybe I should keep a wooden spoon on my belt, so when something like that does happen, I grab that wooden spoon and use it as a weapon. With disadvantage on the roll and without my profficiency bonus, it would be unlikely to hit anyone and even if it does, it would do 1d4 damage. Seems like an appropriately goofy way to handle this threat.

Maybe we can get rid of the curse, it affects ranged weapons, too, so I can't even use a crossbow propperly, even when the enemy is far away and unreachable by foot.
Recently, we had a major fight with an enemy that attacked me and then used some blink spell that makes her go to another plane when it's not her turn, making it virtually impossible for me to attack her. Meant that I spent most of that fight just standing there impotently, boiling with rage... not a good fight from my perspective.
There were a couple other issues with that fight, too. It was supposed to be a big Endboss-like fight, but other than being really drawn out and frustrating, there was hardly anything else. It mainly served to validate my opinion that DnD 5e makes high-level monsters/enemies more dangerous by giving them bullshit "roll a DC15 saving throw on your dumb-stat to not instantly be rendered useless for the fight" abilities that they throw out like candy during Halloween.

I guess that would still have ruined the party. I mean, how would you feel if all your character amounted to was backstory for another player and then roll up another one?

Last edited:

robobobo

kiwifarms.net

That seems like a perfectly fine scenario, if you're in a murderdungeon like the Tomb of Horrors where the party should be expecting extreme lethality from almost any place or item. Not so much if it was a normal game. It really hinges on whether the party should have been expecting this or not.

Coffee Druid

Your friendly caffeinated chevalier
kiwifarms.net
I GMed for the first time today. I'm writing an full on D&D campaign with a main plot and some other subquests. I'm running it one on one with my friend who usually GMs the games I'm in, to practice and test how it goes. I mainly got the intro in since we didn't have much time. I feel kind of stiff and boring, and I'm still learning the ropes of Roll20's GM tools. But I'm hopeful that I can get more comfortable as time goes on.

That seems like a perfectly fine scenario, if you're in a murderdungeon like the Tomb of Horrors where the party should be expecting extreme lethality from almost any place or item. Not so much if it was a normal game. It really hinges on whether the party should have been expecting this or not.
Oh god, the tomb of horrors. Me and some friends recently ran that and I honest to goodness witnessed a friendship end over that dungeon.

WinchesterPremium

kiwifarms.net
The making pictures and detailed backstories would have been weird if they where just doing a hack-and-slash murder dungeon though.

• Agree
Reactions: Adamska

Ol' Slag

We can't stop here, this is bat country!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
About to finish the 5e adventure descent into Avernus. I ran it differently then the book intended with Devils being more hostile and cruel to party members turning it into a struggle to survive a hostile environment where two armies larger than you could comprehend regularly clash.
Also I cut out the golden ballsack elephant half the fucking book uses because DM pcs are dumb and having one being a super special magic elephant who knew the fallen angle before her fall is incredibly gay.
Lulu is actually really important and can help with alot of the tougher fights. Did the players give a shit?

Ol' Slag

We can't stop here, this is bat country!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Attunement takes an hour. Something you actively have to do. You just can't touch an item and be instantly attuned to it.

Sounds like the DM was trying to make you use the item no matter what and just wanted to fuck with the party.

Could you tell me how combat went down?

Tags
None