Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
So when are y'all going to come over and join the GURPS side of things?
Steve Jackson isn't wrong.

Yeah, it's more that it's an inconvenience since I have to still skip through and skim through that fluff I dislike. 1e Requiem had better fluff, but far jankier mechanics, so I almost always crack open the 2e book, as much as the rushjob botched the fluff on the covenants and bloodlines.

I also didn't entirely like Modiphius' take on Alien due to using Prometheus and Covenent so often, but I'd still use it far more than the 80s TTRPG with its flow chart hell. Good and simple crunch, uneven fluff is far better than great fluff bad crunch.

Hell, I'm reading Robotic Age right now and lampooning it for the "HUMANS BAD" and bad take on how to get the BOOGALOO to fuck over the US, but I'll be extremely happy if the crunch is good. If the crunch is good, I can finally enact my dream of doing a Mega Man X game where people play as reploids right before and during Sigma's 1st Rebellion and onwards.
Your rants on Alien were a good read, you should post them here.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Your rants on Alien were a good read, you should post them here.
The biggest issue I have with the Alien book is that while it is pretty damn good at catching the fluff, it is written in a very insipid way. Quasi-Whedonesque jokes abound just a bit too often. They also really were desperate to include as much Prometheus and Covenant references and quotes as humanly possible. Once they actually chilled out with that the book was good.

I tend to be a slow-to-warm type of dude with most things, and while I still find Chapter 1 of it infuriating, the best part of that book is the vehicle section; it has a great modular system that allows you to build a variety of ships easily. It also is a very flexible, rules light yet moderately high lethality game.

7.75/10, just needed to purge the not Alien movie and the shitty movie from the ranks. Oh, and the Doom Cults... the book was very autistic about Doom Cults and religion.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Maskull

Your an ignorant idiot
kiwifarms.net
There's been chatter by various people for quite a while how they would like to set up an online game. Has anything or will anything come of this? I know it's been done in the past.

MAPK phosphatase

Cell Death Regulator
kiwifarms.net
There's been chatter by various people for quite a while how they would like to set up an online game. Has anything or will anything come of this? I know it's been done in the past.
I've tried twice. Once I was GMing GURPS and we didn't get past character creation (and I realize what I could have done better in retrospect), the other time I was playing Delta Green and we managed to get through one session before it fell apart. If I was going to try it again, either GMing or playing, I'd want it to be a public thread on KF so that the open spots inevitably created when people drop out can be filled quickly and easily.

Titan Lithos

Classic Rock
kiwifarms.net
I've been wanting to run a game for a while, since moving to the other side of the world. But because I'm working insane hours and am shy of the International Date Line, it's hard to arrange for groups.

I made a huge mistake of deciding to advertise on Roll20, to see about timing. I seemed to have hooked all those in the pronoun crowd.

sperginity

we're all fags here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.
what the fuuuuck

MementoMalum

Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This makes me wonder how they'd handle darker themed game settings like Dark Sun, Ravenloft and Dragonlance with this new outlook.
Oh they're already talking about rewriting CoS since its "demeaning to Gypsies" or something, and I highly doubt they'll touch the others. Its not an accident that they're leaning heavily into MtG world sourcebooks since those worlds have already been sandblasted clear of any interesting ideas cleaned up of problematic notions.

Now they don't have to be creative, since the worlds already exist, and they can potentially tempt the MtG crowd into maybe buying a book, and they don't have to worry about old worlds with decidedly non-woke outlooks.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
Oh they're already talking about rewriting CoS since its "demeaning to Gypsies" or something, and I highly doubt they'll touch the others. Its not an accident that they're leaning heavily into MtG world sourcebooks since those worlds have already been sandblasted clear of any interesting ideas cleaned up of problematic notions.

Now they don't have to be creative, since the worlds already exist, and they can potentially tempt the MtG crowd into maybe buying a book, and they don't have to worry about old worlds with decidedly non-woke outlooks.
Dark Sun has slavery, forced gladiator battles, and brutal survival as themes. 3.5 ed. Ravenloft had a lot of problamatic elements like xenophobia, outcast ratings, a gay irredemable villain, etc. And while I know the least about Dragonlance, I'm sure they'd find something to hate. So I'm kind of glad that they will hopefully leave those alone.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dark Sun has slavery, forced gladiator battles, and brutal survival as themes. 3.5 ed. Ravenloft had a lot of problamatic elements like xenophobia, outcast ratings, a gay irredemable villain, etc. And while I know the least about Dragonlance, I'm sure they'd find something to hate. So I'm kind of glad that they will hopefully leave those alone.
The artificial idea that balance is key (since they're manichean in mindset) and an entire race of retards in the form of the Gully Dwarves.

I still think Dragonlance is shit tho.

TwoDollarPeePeePooPoo

I'm not gonna read that
kiwifarms.net
WotC can try all the PC shit they want, it won't effect my games. Yes, their handholding of sensitive babies shrinks the amount of good tables willing to explore the darker elements of life but there's always online games. I have been fortunate enough to play with people who don't start crying when you throw a Vistani out a window and call him a dirty gypo on his way down.

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net
The biggest issue I have with the Alien book is that while it is pretty damn good at catching the fluff, it is written in a very insipid way. Quasi-Whedonesque jokes abound just a bit too often. They also really were desperate to include as much Prometheus and Covenant references and quotes as humanly possible. Once they actually chilled out with that the book was good.

I tend to be a slow-to-warm type of dude with most things, and while I still find Chapter 1 of it infuriating, the best part of that book is the vehicle section; it has a great modular system that allows you to build a variety of ships easily. It also is a very flexible, rules light yet moderately high lethality game.

7.75/10, just needed to purge the not Alien movie and the shitty movie from the ranks. Oh, and the Doom Cults... the book was very autistic about Doom Cults and religion.
This is why I like getting other opinions on games because I often wont catch those sorts of things (I'm not a fan boy of anything these days as everything will be ruined eventually. I'm old and cynical), I tend to pay more attention to crunch these days. It's why I actually like Starfinder, good crunch, doesn't require a lot of third party books to make it playable and so far no homebrew rules. Still waiting on some company to do a good "plug and play" ruleset for building spaceships in any system. Kobald Press are doing system neutral books so maybe someone will do it one day.

There's also a pretty decent Pathfinder 3rd party book that's good for cyberpunk and could be used for either Cthulhutech or even an Aliens game with few changes. I would probably prefer that over Starfinder.

Titan Lithos

Classic Rock
kiwifarms.net
I've very recently gotten into Starfinder. There's something about the class design that I like. Rather than splatbook after splatbook with classes, they offer combinations and builds that allow you to make a character you want to play. Or at least, that's the intention.

Plus no one has to feel like they need to be a cleric to be a healbot. Every class can be built to be an effective healer, like the Envoy and Operative. I just wish I was better with numbers to test the effectiveness of those builds. I'll leave it to people like @Dunsparce to figure that out.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
After a short vacation for sanity reasons after the shitshow that was Changing Breeds, we finally cracked open Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress:

This was an officially sponsored book, with quotes from Monte Cook and RA Salvatore and everything!

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net
I've very recently gotten into Starfinder. There's something about the class design that I like. Rather than splatbook after splatbook with classes, they offer combinations and builds that allow you to make a character you want to play. Or at least, that's the intention.

Plus no one has to feel like they need to be a cleric to be a healbot. Every class can be built to be an effective healer, like the Envoy and Operative. I just wish I was better with numbers to test the effectiveness of those builds. I'll leave it to people like @Dunsparce to figure that out.
Archtypes seem to be used for anyone which is nice, You can make any of the base classes into an assassin from Near Space. Some have prerequisites too so they are also sort of like prestige classes.

BiggerChungus

that'll hold em alwight
kiwifarms.net
WotC can try all the PC shit they want, it won't effect my games. Yes, their handholding of sensitive babies shrinks the amount of good tables willing to explore the darker elements of life but there's always online games. I have been fortunate enough to play with people who don't start crying when you throw a Vistani out a window and call him a dirty gypo on his way down.
Same. I like to use Roll20 for online stuff and it's also going the way of ultra-left PC nonsense, but if it's not affecting my game, I'm gonna keep playing. Not that I agree with it but I can run stuff totally divorced from whatever dumb shit the dudes in charge wanna support. Like somebody posted before it's just inevitable these days that if you don't swing left then you're not gonna find a lot of mainstream content that supports your views. I've found it's better to ignore it than get bothered by it, especially when likeminded people are still out there and just as sick of the PC shit as anyone else. Find them and group up and have fun, or just find people who don't care either way and just wanna play a game.

Last edited:

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Same. I like to use Roll20 for online stuff and it's also going the way of ultra-left PC nonsense, but if it's not affecting my game, I'm gonna keep playing. Not that I agree with it but I can run stuff totally divorced from whatever dumb shit the dudes in charge wanna support. Like somebody posted before it's just inevitable these days that if you don't swing left then you're not gonna find a lot of mainstream content that supports your views. I've found it's better to ignore it than get bothered by it, especially when likeminded people are still out there and just as sick of the PC shit as anyone else. Find them and group up and have fun, or just find people who don't care either way and just wanna play a game.
Technically, as long as you do not buy anything from them and might use their services with VPN and adblock, you cost them a tiny amount of money by using their infrastructure while not giving them anything inexchange.

I mean, the more significant bit is not giving them money, cause even the entire gaming career of a very dedicated and active DM would not produce more than a few cents of costs for the service... but y'know...

KidKitty

Official Junior Shitposter
kiwifarms.net
Pirate every book in current and previous form lol. Save anything that cannot be rewritten and make your own personal archive to draw from even if you have to distinguish them by version. The brilliant heart of tabletop has always been that you aren't obligated to accept a 'patch' if you don't want it and are free to make up as much shit as you like so long as two likeminded and creative people can network.

So my Gnolls will always be demonspawn with the chance for one or two to find perspective in the dire fate of their race and decide to try and be better in the struggle against their darker nature.

My Mindflayers will be evil by lieu of being truly, horrifically unknown; impregnating and enslaving the innocent with purely clinical detachment.

And my dragons are always shades of asshole.

Fuck enforced niceness, the world isn't nice and never will be. Good only means something if it's staring directly into a tooth-filled maw.

Tags
None