Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

Fagnacious D

and The Dick of Destiny
kiwifarms.net
Went to check out the trove since it has been a while and....
1618449143925.png
Staff Picks:
Consent in gaming

How long before the trove starts to censor or simply not carry material deemed "problematic"

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
Woke shit aside, some people do need some lessons in not being inconsiderate jagoffs. If I had a quarter for every mouthbreather I saw creeping on the one girl at the table (worse: the girl was usually someone else's GF), or for every moron who goes out of their way to be an edgy fucktard and make the GM or other people at the table clearly uncomfortable (and then throws a huge bitch-fit when challenged)... well, I'm pretty sure I'd have enough to order the pizza next time the coof lockdown lifts and my group gets together.

Yeah, the GMs threw these assholes out pretty quickly, but it would be nice to be able to avoid the unpleasantness. Although at that point we might need a different book than "Consent in Gaming". More like "Tard-Wrangling For Dummies". Let's face it, there are a lot of autists and narcissists in this hobby.

BlazikenLover

GNU + Linux fatman
kiwifarms.net
Went to check out the trove since it has been a while and....
View attachment 2088516
Staff Picks:
Consent in gaming

How long before the trove starts to censor or simply not carry material deemed "problematic"
Aftee seeing how pozzed a ttrpg discord got, which got its start on 4chan out of all fucking places, I am not surprised a piracy website (which i think also got its start on 4chan) is showing signs. Thankfully I give less of a shit nowadays, as long as I can get my pdfs is all cool, don't have to interact with these people and as long as my table is sane I'm good.
There is something ironic about a community manager of a piracy website trying to give lessons on "morality", but as I said: I don't care.

Woke shit aside, some people do need some lessons in not being inconsiderate jagoffs. [...]
Let's face it, there are a lot of autists and narcissists in this hobby.
I agree with this, personally I wouldn't talk about consent but rather about how to communicate because I have had far too many socially inept people shut up about their gripes then explode at the worst possible time.

Sidenote: some of the sex starved nerds I know who crept on girls/guys are two faced as fuck. It is cute how one one moment they were lecturing me about something like a sex appeal or looks stat was creepy but then finding out how the fucker was ERPing with most of the table, or shitting on someone for liking "sexualized" characters while he was gladly indulging into a game full of rape and sexual themes and thats on top of all of his female characters having big nice butts (and making sure you know this).
Makes me wonder if people act like that to impress girls, because that would make it extra funny: one of my female players had a nobleman who gladly fucked a barmaid for information, that was on the first session.
Anyways, I don't give a shit if your orc or lizard has titties as long as it is not brought up constantly.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
I agree with this, personally I wouldn't talk about consent but rather about how to communicate because I have had far too many socially inept people shut up about their gripes then explode at the worst possible time.
That's what always amuses and frustrates me about the terminally woke. They're the definition of "so close, yet so far away". Most of their grievances could be addressed by age-old advice like "don't be an asshole", "be considerate to the people around you", "be introspective" and "communication is the most important thing around a table". But they choose to coat everything in that holier-than-thou attitude and write entire books when a couple paragraphs will do. And, instead of offering advice, they pass down Commandments from above and deem anyone infringing upon them as heretics for the crime of slightly upsetting them.

Seriously, that whole "consent in gaming" book could be replaced by just a few sentences:
  • Hey, do you want to play something slightly unorthodox? Ask other players for their opinions.
  • Did someone else ask if they could play something? Does it bother you? If it does, why? Is your discomfort really so great you have to clamp down on someone else's creativity?
  • Was there an impasse? Talk to one another openly and try to resolve your differences in a civilized way. If you can't, seek arbitration.
  • Sometimes you just have to shelve and idea and use it at some other time, maybe with a different group.
And so on and so forth. "I'm uncomfortable!" isn't a baseball bat that you can clobber other people into compliance with. But nerds and autists have been so conditioned to think "don't be an asshole" means "never upset anyone ever and if you do it's always 100% your fault, you monster!" that people with malicious intent do precisely that.

Wallace

Cram it in me, baby!
kiwifarms.net
That's what always amuses and frustrates me about the terminally woke. They're the definition of "so close, yet so far away". Most of their grievances could be addressed by age-old advice like "don't be an asshole", "be considerate to the people around you", "be introspective" and "communication is the most important thing around a table". But they choose to coat everything in that holier-than-thou attitude and write entire books when a couple paragraphs will do. And, instead of offering advice, they pass down Commandments from above and deem anyone infringing upon them as heretics for the crime of slightly upsetting them.

Seriously, that whole "consent in gaming" book could be replaced by just a few sentences:
  • Hey, do you want to play something slightly unorthodox? Ask other players for their opinions.
  • Did someone else ask if they could play something? Does it bother you? If it does, why? Is your discomfort really so great you have to clamp down on someone else's creativity?
  • Was there an impasse? Talk to one another openly and try to resolve your differences in a civilized way. If you can't, seek arbitration.
  • Sometimes you just have to shelve and idea and use it at some other time, maybe with a different group.
And so on and so forth. "I'm uncomfortable!" isn't a baseball bat that you can clobber other people into compliance with. But nerds and autists have been so conditioned to think "don't be an asshole" means "never upset anyone ever and if you do it's always 100% your fault, you monster!" that people with malicious intent do precisely that.
It's amazing how a hobby that requires good communication and empathy has so thoroughly become the property of a group of emotionally unbalanced retards with no social skills. If you've ever read r/rpghorrorstories, it's pretty obvious that at least half of them could have been prevented by someone at the table growing a pair. The Geek Social Fallacies should be required reading for anyone in the hobby.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
Do extra credits say why the "human" race doesn't include black people? I never seem to get an answer from the "orcs are black people" crowd.

Alignment arguments and D&D players. Name a more iconic duo.
Alignment arguments are completely pointless anyway. It's one of those things that weirdos on the internet get really mad about, but in real life no one cares, with alignment only being used for spell effects and the like.

It's not just alignment, but canon and game balance too. According to the internet, dragonborn are completely broken mechanically (their breath weapon doesn't scale with their main stat!) and narratively (they weren't in 3.5 so they suck!) and should never be played. I've had people play dragonborn in my 5e up to level 16 and they managed just fine.

I've said before I'm a largely ignorant normie when it comes to tabletop RPGs, and yet even I can see these people are either talking bullshit, have never played the game, or both.

eg. The whole "orc babies" argument from earlier is something that would never come up in game unless the GM is being a smug hipster that thinks he's blowing the players minds. In which case, the game has bigger issues than alignment.

*nervous sweating*
I cannot express how self conscious I become when playing with people I don't know because I'm so paranoid about being That Guy.
I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe I'm to new to the hobby, but in my experience you'd have to really go an extreme to be a "that guy".

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Do extra credits say why the "human" race doesn't include black people? I never seem to get an answer from the "orcs are black people" crowd.
They're just fucking retarded and the Orcs = Black thing likely came from Shadowrun where they legit were treated as such, though their race before their genome reawoke could've been anything prior to it. It got brought up in a podcast we did recently.

I'm thinking that's where that stupid argument came from, and even in game it's known to be a stupid argument at best.
I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe I'm to new to the hobby, but in my experience you'd have to really go an extreme to be a "that guy".
It takes a mix of bad ideas + social retardation + refusing to listen really.

Dunsparce

Out of Control
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
According to the internet, dragonborn are completely broken mechanically (their breath weapon doesn't scale with their main stat!) and narratively (they weren't in 3.5 so they suck!)

Umm... Dragonborn ARE in 3.5, as a playable race, to boot. They are from Races of the Dragon, a splatboot covering the ins and out of many reptilian humanoid races, while introducing new ones too.

BlazikenLover

GNU + Linux fatman
kiwifarms.net
.And, instead of offering advice, they pass down Commandments from above and deem anyone infringing upon them as heretics for the crime of slightly upsetting them.
You put it really damn well, always rubbed me the wrong way how people in my old group would force people to act a certain way. Thankfully they ended up pissing off those who agreed with them so everyone saw them for what they were: man children who can't accept someone thinking/acting different.

The Geek Social Fallacies should be required reading for anyone in the hobby.
Mind linking me to these? I am not sure if I found the ones you are refering to.

Edit: found them,the search was giving me a bunch of shitty blogs or feminist wikis "debunking" them.

Last edited:

Spergetti

Unoriginal Lurker
kiwifarms.net
They're just fucking retarded and the Orcs = Black thing likely came from Shadowrun where they legit were treated as such, though their race before their genome reawoke could've been anything prior to it. It got brought up in a podcast we did recently.

I'm thinking that's where that stupid argument came from, and even in game it's known to be a stupid argument at best.

It takes a mix of bad ideas + social retardation + refusing to listen really.
You also can't discount the distinct possibility that the people who propagate this shit are just cynical actors who are trying to grab some clout and alienate people from the hobby that they don't like. It's a well-worn pattern at this point: create a made-up controversy, wait for their political enemies within the hobby to identify themselves by calling out the bullshit, and then rally the woke segment of the hobby to attack the dissenters.

The trick doesn't work unless you have enough genuine retards who believe the bullshit and can be activated to join the mob by pushing their buttons with the right buzzwords, but this is just a power flex for the people at the center of it.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
It's amazing how a hobby that requires good communication and empathy has so thoroughly become the property of a group of emotionally unbalanced retards with no social skills. If you've ever read r/rpghorrorstories, it's pretty obvious that at least half of them could have been prevented by someone at the table growing a pair. The Geek Social Fallacies should be required reading for anyone in the hobby.
On the other hand, it's not like tabletop RPG communities of yore were completely devoid of spergs. It's always been a hobby that attracted the awkward and the autistic, there were plenty of morons with social skills and empathy that made Jason Vorhees look like Mother Theresa. The horror stories were there, long before the SJWs set their sights on our hobby.

The key is that back then these assholes were rightfully shunned and tended to vanish into the background, either by shaping up or by abandoning the hobby. In Current Year they have been replaced by an entirely new crop of assholes, and the new guys have entire armies of keyboard warriors ready to defend their right to be entitled, unsympathetic assholes, screeching about "GATEKEEPING BAAAAAAAAD".

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
The arguement isnt strictly orcs are racist unless you're a complete retard it's more typically framed that having pure naturally evil races can lead to irl people thinking bad thinks about brown people. Which is dumb for differant reasons.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The arguement isnt strictly orcs are racist unless you're a complete retard it's more typically framed that having pure naturally evil races can lead to irl people thinking bad thinks about brown people. Which is dumb for differant reasons.
I mean that's less brain damaged than what the outrage merchants push. It's still pretty brain dead though.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
You know this whole thing could have been avoided by simply featuring the "POC" they like so much as actual people in their worlds. And guess what? There are black and brown people in Forgotten Realms, and most other campaign settings. They aren't orcs in any of them. Just like there are usually Asian-inspired cultures existing alongside elves, for example.

You'd think the existence of black people in those worlds (often depicted very favorably) would be enough to make it clear that orcs are fictional beings (whose influences are not African in any way) but silly things like "facts" never stopped a good grievance when it comes to these people.

Mr. Manchester

Ass Napkin PHD
kiwifarms.net
I've always seen it as part of the hobby. Some of the best stories I have and reminisce with my friends are about fucking weirdos we've gamed with. I think I would have gotten a lot less out of playing table top games without the autistic retards every now and then. I also regularly post on the Kiwi Farms so take that with a grain of salt.

In fact, in my first game years and years ago I had an encounter a very weird guy and I think that's one of the reasons I kept showing up. See, back in the day there was a college gaming group I found and showed up to, it was something like "RPG Club" and I assumed I could go and talk about Baldurs Gate or something with people who also liked that game. It was actually an excuse to get a room for people to go play D&D. I was handed a random character sheet and was advised to join the pickup game. That's then I met him, Stinky, which the other members of the club had named him.

Stinky sat across from me, a classic weirdo. He was in his 30s and didn't actually attend the college, balding with long curtly hair, fat, unbathed, crooked glasses, the works. Since I didn't know what to do with my half-orc fighter anyway, I soon started watching him franticly scribbling on his character sheet and giggling to himself. Being an inquisitive young man, I asked, "What are you laughing about?" I immediately realized that I had committed some sin in the group as Stinky looked up, overjoyed that someone had decided not to ignore him. He proceeded to explain.

Now mind you, this was during the Bush administration, which dates me but whatever. The troon thing wasn't even on the radar at this point, no one even knew about it at the time. So when Stinky goes, "UNDER GENDER.... I PUT A QUESTION MARK!" and started to giggle uncontrollably, it was the strangest and funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Despite the annoyed looks from the other group members I was so overwhelmed at the ridiculousness of this bizarre man that I started cackling and almost fell out of my chair. Throughout the game he played some gnome and the DM eventually flung his character against a wall because a cast an illusion in front of an undead wizard or something. When it happened he screamed "OHHHH NOOOOOOO". I cackled at that too.

Years later, after a game ran by that same DM we were shooting the shit and he goes, "you know Mr. Manchester, I didn't think I would be friends with you because you kept laughing at Stinky's jokes". I was pleased to explain that I wasn't laughing with him, I was laughing at him.

It is one of my fondest gaming stories and I don't know if I would have made a lot of friends I have today if there wasn't some weird mutant at my very first game. There are people from that group that I have been in weddings for, have referred me to jobs, who I would take a bullet for. Wherever you are, Stinky, thank you for being a giant fucking mongoloid.