Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The majority of issues involving consent, fuckery and other poor behavior can be solved with a proper session zero and a GM with with an actual fucking spine.
You would not believe how rare it is for me to ever get a session zero going, mainly because in my group we pretty much make them weeks in advance. It works out well though given how barring one or two times over the years we didn't have too bad an issue with these.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
You would not believe how rare it is for me to ever get a session zero going, mainly because in my group we pretty much make them weeks in advance. It works out well though given how barring one or two times over the years we didn't have too bad an issue with these.
Doing a session zero becomes a lot less necessary when you have a steady group that's good at communicating, since presumably the players already know each other and can just bounce ideas off one another. It's a lot more important for when a new group just got together.

The GM having a spine is by far the most important part there. The stereotype of the beleaguered GM trying to herd cats is funny and all, but even if GMing is 80% cat-herding there is a finite amount of players in a campaign. So the GM still needs to be strict with which cats he's dedicating his time trying to wrangle. Trying to be a "nice guy" and holding on to problem players isn't just annoying to the GM: every group that falls apart on session 1 or 2 because some dumbass caused trouble wastes everybody's time.

Starscreams Cape

Read my posts in his voice
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sidenote: some of the sex starved nerds I know who crept on girls/guys are two faced as fuck. It is cute how one one moment they were lecturing me about something like a sex appeal or looks stat was creepy but then finding out how the fucker was ERPing with most of the table, or shitting on someone for liking "sexualized" characters while he was gladly indulging into a game full of rape and sexual themes and thats on top of all of his female characters having big nice butts (and making sure you know this).
Makes me wonder if people act like that to impress girls, because that would make it extra funny: one of my female players had a nobleman who gladly fucked a barmaid for information, that was on the first session.
Anyways, I don't give a shit if your orc or lizard has titties as long as it is not brought up constantly.
That is of course just another manifestation of the projection of lefties. The "male feminist" who got "me-too'd" is almost blasé right now. So too with this rather sad corner of the world where you get lectured on "women's rights" by a loser with a d20 in his hand and a raging boner under the table.

Fortunately I've been mostly able to avoid this phenomenon as I've gamed exclusively with friends and family over 20+ yrs. I've run into a handful of weirdo DM's and players at Gencon over the years, but I chalk that up to the percentages.

DeagleNationRefugee

kiwifarms.net
Fortunately I've been mostly able to avoid this phenomenon as I've gamed exclusively with friends and family over 20+ yrs. I've run into a handful of weirdo DM's and players at Gencon over the years, but I chalk that up to the percentages.
Same. Sometimes even good friends can end up having some weird meltdown over something stupid at the table, but at least you can have a beer and laugh about it later.

Starscreams Cape

Read my posts in his voice
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Same. Sometimes even good friends can end up having some weird meltdown over something stupid at the table, but at least you can have a beer and laugh about it later.
Yep, my oldest, now daily-dope-smoking friend occasionally acts like a hysterical woman and flips out about once every 2-3 yrs at the table. Probably weed paranoia. But as you say, it makes for good conversational fodder once he realizes what a douche he was.

REMEMBERMKULTRA

What else are they lying about?
kiwifarms.net
Here's a pretty cool cyoa I found. Pick one, lads. I'd probably go with Trickster, I like sneaky characters.

knldms2xsnu61.jpg

Zaryiu2

kiwifarms.net
Anyone has a mega or similar thing with the 1st edition paizo published rpg books? My brother "borrowed" the sd card with my copy of those books and I'd like to replace them without having to download everything one by one again?

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
We were talking about rules-light, fast-moving RPG systems in the Tabletop Community Watch thread and it reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask:

Has anyone here played Savage Worlds? That's one of these systems I've been meaning to try for ages, but since no one in my groups is interested I never got around to it. Having dice as stats always looked like an interesting idea, but I never got to see it in action..

Capsaicin Addict

Dancing on the ashes of history.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We were talking about rules-light, fast-moving RPG systems in the Tabletop Community Watch thread and it reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask:

Has anyone here played Savage Worlds? That's one of these systems I've been meaning to try for ages, but since no one in my groups is interested I never got around to it. Having dice as stats always looked like an interesting idea, but I never got to see it in action..
I've played it (hell, playing it currently). It lends itself well to a lot of genres, character generation isn't too painful, and the mechanics aren't that hard to pick up.

Downsides is that probability curves tend to get kind of weird. Your skills and abilities run off a die type, from d4 to d12. The better you are at something, the bigger die you roll. PCs and NPCs ('wild cards') also roll an extra d6 with their checks and can swap out that d6 if it's a better result than what they got.

Where things tend to get wild is with exploding dice. A max result on the dice (an 'ace') means you keep that number and roll again. Fortunately, critical successes of that level rarely make a difference. It does, however, lead to problems where you have a better chance of succeeding through dumb luck with lower skills sometimes.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've played it (hell, playing it currently). It lends itself well to a lot of genres, character generation isn't too painful, and the mechanics aren't that hard to pick up.

Downsides is that probability curves tend to get kind of weird. Your skills and abilities run off a die type, from d4 to d12. The better you are at something, the bigger die you roll. PCs and NPCs ('wild cards') also roll an extra d6 with their checks and can swap out that d6 if it's a better result than what they got.

Where things tend to get wild is with exploding dice. A max result on the dice (an 'ace') means you keep that number and roll again. Fortunately, critical successes of that level rarely make a difference. It does, however, lead to problems where you have a better chance of succeeding through dumb luck with lower skills sometimes.
You know I mused over making a rules light game system and I thought of something like that. Only difference was I did not include exploding dice entirely because of that.

Basically I went: Why not have something like 8 stats, where you can plug and play two good stats, four average stats, then two bad stats. Good was represented with 1d8, average was 1d6, and bad was 1d4.

Then you had skills that could specialize and compliment those dice with adding a +1 per relevant skill, with the maximum result being like a +3 - +5.

DC for stuff would range from DC 3 to DC 11 or something like that based on complexity.

I talked with others about that, and they had their own ideas too.

Capsaicin Addict

Dancing on the ashes of history.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know I mused over making a rules light game system and I thought of something like that. Only difference was I did not include exploding dice entirely because of that.

Basically I went: Why not have something like 8 stats, where you can plug and play two good stats, four average stats, then two bad stats. Good was represented with 1d8, average was 1d6, and bad was 1d4.

Then you had skills that could specialize and compliment those dice with adding a +1 per relevant skill, with the maximum result being like a +3 - +5.

DC for stuff would range from DC 3 to DC 11 or something like that based on complexity.

I talked with others about that, and they had their own ideas too.
One of the things I'm not sure I like about SW is that attributes and skills don't get added. Your attribute (and you only have five) is a soft cap for the skill related to it; if you want to advance the skill higher than your stat, it costs more.

So if you have Agility d8, you can raise your Shooting from d6 to d8 during character creation for 1 point, but past d8 to d10 is 2 points. This carries over into experience and advancement; you can spend your advancement on raising two skills that are lower than their attribute by one die, or raise one skill equal to or greater than its attribute by one die.

Skills and attributes normally cap at d12, but if you play Rifts, you can exceed that; however, advancements of that nature only add a +1 to the stat (so, d12+1, d12+2, etc).

anti SJW

kiwifarms.net
Important new official rules for gender. From the Babylon Bee.

Dungeons And Dragons Introduces New 100-Sided Die For Determining Your Character's Gender.

RENTON, WA—In a bold move for inclusivity, Wizards of the Coast announced today that all copies of the Dungeons & Dragons starter set will include a special D100 for determining your character's gender.

"Not sure if your Half-Orc Paladin is a demiboy or agender? Just roll this handy new die," said a WOTC rep. "It makes character creation fast, fun, and streamlined. And don't worry -- if you don't like your gender, just roll it again, no questions asked. In fact, you can do that at any point during the game without even consulting your DM. Change at any time."

"See, when you're playing a game that was designed for players to go raid dungeons, get loot, and kill dragons, the important thing is that you spend 14 hours trying to determine your character's sexuality, gender, sex, and political positions," he continued. "That's what made this hobby so popular: screeching leftists on Tumblr, and we have to cater to these hardcore fans."

A revised copy of the Player Handbook contains rules for using the die. All players must select one of the hundred genders upon creating their character. "Men" and "women" are, of course, not included out of sensitivity to non-binary folk. Any PC that refers to another PC as the wrong gender will instantly be killed by a falling meteor. Then, the player controlling that character is subject to cancelation in the real world.

Wizards also confirmed that the sixth edition of Dungeons & Dragons will include a D1000 for selecting your character's pronouns.

I know its fake. But I could see WOTC doing this.

Since I'm banned from RPG.net, can someone link this over there in the RPG general section? I'll get my popcorn ready.

Snekposter

Hiding from the Frontier fallout.
kiwifarms.net
Important new official rules for gender. From the Babylon Bee.

Dungeons And Dragons Introduces New 100-Sided Die For Determining Your Character's Gender.

RENTON, WA—In a bold move for inclusivity, Wizards of the Coast announced today that all copies of the Dungeons & Dragons starter set will include a special D100 for determining your character's gender.

"Not sure if your Half-Orc Paladin is a demiboy or agender? Just roll this handy new die," said a WOTC rep. "It makes character creation fast, fun, and streamlined. And don't worry -- if you don't like your gender, just roll it again, no questions asked. In fact, you can do that at any point during the game without even consulting your DM. Change at any time."

"See, when you're playing a game that was designed for players to go raid dungeons, get loot, and kill dragons, the important thing is that you spend 14 hours trying to determine your character's sexuality, gender, sex, and political positions," he continued. "That's what made this hobby so popular: screeching leftists on Tumblr, and we have to cater to these hardcore fans."

A revised copy of the Player Handbook contains rules for using the die. All players must select one of the hundred genders upon creating their character. "Men" and "women" are, of course, not included out of sensitivity to non-binary folk. Any PC that refers to another PC as the wrong gender will instantly be killed by a falling meteor. Then, the player controlling that character is subject to cancelation in the real world.

Wizards also confirmed that the sixth edition of Dungeons & Dragons will include a D1000 for selecting your character's pronouns.

I know its fake. But I could see WOTC doing this.

Since I'm banned from RPG.net, can someone link this over there in the RPG general section? I'll get my popcorn ready.
Man, thank God you put that it was a Bee article.

drtoboggan

Make any time baller time with Charleston Chew.
kiwifarms.net
I’ve been running a Fate Accelerated sci fi game for about a month now. I really like the approaches as opposed to concrete skills. But I’m a rules lite sort of guy and like things pretty fast paced. My Fate games go through two stories per session though. I don’t know if it’s my writing or the fact that the players move through things really quickly, but everyone has fun and that’s the important thing.