Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.) -

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
For those wondering:

Extreme Meatpunks Forever or whatever the hell it's called is arguably the worst book we've ever read on the show, with only Black Tokyo or MAYBE Beast matching it.

We gave up about halfway through, because the writing has this smug, condescending tone that you'd get from a tween who realized mommy won't spank them for using the big boy words. It's interspersed with them being godawful at explaining the system, since apparently this was them trying to refit a poorly received video game idea or something.

They refer to their system more like computer code than as a system you play. It was legitimately infuriating to read.
I'm about halfway through and a thought came to mind: you know those tie-in knockoff games like Chex Quest? Just cheap asset swaps of already successful games?

Meatpunks feels like one of those, only in tabletop form. It's like the creators took a pre-existing system that had nothing to do with... whatever the fuck you do there... beat up your buddies and make out with Nazis... and then they just did a Ctrl+H replace-all operation for the game terms. Because everything feels so awkward and disconnected with that rule set, they must have spent less than 10% of the time and budget they had available to them working on the rules. Everything went into condescending bullshit and ripping off better works and calling it "worldbuilding".

Stalphos Johnson

Very Spooky
kiwifarms.net
For those wondering:

Extreme Meatpunks Forever or whatever the hell it's called is arguably the worst book we've ever read on the show, with only Black Tokyo or MAYBE Beast matching it.

We gave up about halfway through, because the writing has this smug, condescending tone that you'd get from a tween who realized mommy won't spank them for using the big boy words. It's interspersed with them being godawful at explaining the system, since apparently this was them trying to refit a poorly received video game idea or something.

They refer to their system more like computer code than as a system you play. It was legitimately infuriating to read.
Here's the thread @Jaimas did a few months back ripping apart the video game it's based on, in case anyone missed it.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm about halfway through and a thought came to mind: you know those tie-in knockoff games like Chex Quest? Just cheap asset swaps of already successful games?

Meatpunks feels like one of those, only in tabletop form. It's like the creators took a pre-existing system that had nothing to do with... whatever the fuck you do there... beat up your buddies and make out with Nazis... and then they just did a Ctrl+H replace-all operation for the game terms. Because everything feels so awkward and disconnected with that rule set, they must have spent less than 10% of the time and budget they had available to them working on the rules. Everything went into condescending bullshit and ripping off better works and calling it "worldbuilding".
They did; they stole the Apocalypse system and shat it all up.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
They did; they stole the Apocalypse system and shat it all up.
I did not expect to be that close to the mark. After a quick trip to thetrove, I'm amazed that they managed to make Apocalypse worse. I would say it took some effort, but clearly they didn't put any effort into this shit.

Gingervitis

kiwifarms.net
A KF game sounds fun, though there's an obvious doxing risk involved unless you make new accounts for everything. Plus, getting schedules to line up would be a bitch.

I'm sure something could be worked out. It could even be fun!

Doing an irl KF game could work. Everyone knows each other’s real name and general location, so if one guy doxes another, everyone else doxes him.

Capsaicin Addict

Now see here you little shit.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much. 5E mechanically feels a lot like a throwback to 2E. Not entirely, but enough that it clears some of the hurdles 3E and 4E left.

The culture and current zeitgeist, however, are absolute trash. Everything from trying to rewrite Strahd away from his sex-pest creep roots to installing 'commissars' in stores to approve of store-run games. What the fuck.

BlazikenLover

GNU + Linux fatman
kiwifarms.net
I feel like 5e was doing 'fine', save for a few letdowns such as the princes of the apocalypse adventure was meant to be the first big option book for 5e only to be 'cancelled' and all we got was the player's companion with the races or sword coast adventurer's guide also being hyped as an option book full of content being mostly reprinted lore and mediocre to ok subclasses (to this day I believe the purple dragon knight is one of the worst subclasses which they never attempted to fix)
Then the whole debacle with mearls shielding a woman abuser meant he had to step away from public view, meaning no more streams where he designed stuff and answered questions or him posting on twitter (and yes to this day I blame that nonsense on the mysteric/psion class he was working on being scrapped), that was in 2018 or so and to this day tards in twitter can't let it go, bringing it up when nobody gives a shit.
Then there was the incident with orion black or whatever, a black wotc employee that was treated like shit and gained attention, thats the point where it all went to shit since they set the virtue signalling into overdrive to try and get brownie points. Lastly they tried to weasel their way out of the dragonlance book deal with accusations of racism or insensibilities which seemed to have backfired since people were leaning more towards the weiss than wotc.
Some spergs will say " I TOLD YOU SO, THE WRITING WAS ON THE WALL SEE THE BIT ABOUT TRANNIES IN THE PHB WAS A HUGE RED FLAG THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN" and to those I say no, the game was doing fine for years and didn't have obnoxious virtue signaling.
I also believe the game exploded in popularity (thanks in part to livestreams such as critical role and easy to use virtual tabletop platforms like roll20) and the corporate overlords at hasbro noticed and may or may not have started to medle. I believe this since for the first 2 or so years they didn't have much of a budget and some were still skeptical about the 4e fiasco, which may be why books released in that time period (rise of tiamat, princes of the apocalypse, sword coast adventurer's guide) turned the way they did and there was so much outsourcing or deals with third party companies (I mean ffs, dmsguild was made by the drivethrurpg people, a company having the backing of hasbro couldn't get the resources to make one themselves) sure those moves may have paid off in the long run but it always struck me as "daddy hasbro won't give us enough money cuz he doesn't believe in us"

Fagnacious D

and The Dick of Destiny
kiwifarms.net
For those wondering:

It continues to go down hill.
Is there anything that isn't completely pozzed yet? Has anyone tried OSR stuff?

Gingervitis

kiwifarms.net
I started with AD&D and would gladly still play it, but most of my group has trouble with the basic addition in 5e.
I’m a bit slow with learning rules myself. I feel like every time I look at a new game, I have to read a section multiple times for me to get it. But this is the first time I’ve heard of someone having problems with middle school math

40 Year Old Boomer

kiwifarms.net
I’m a bit slow with learning rules myself. I feel like every time I look at a new game, I have to read a section multiple times for me to get it. But this is the first time I’ve heard of someone having problems with middle school math
My group is about 60% skeleton and 40% "didn't read lol"
1590013213528.png

We still have fun but I'm always having to help two of the players with basic math and neither ever takes the time to understand how their class works. Our DM is kinda in between but at least has the excuse of dyslexia, but he fucking tries, at least. He has no grasp of synergies, and every now and then someone has a brain fart and goes to him for character advice and end up walking away with a paladin/rogue that can't hit anything, but boy is he good at persuasion/deception checks or a warlock/ranger that is good at absolutely nothing.

That Guy George

kiwifarms.net
My group is about 60% skeleton and 40% "didn't read lol"
View attachment 2160765
We still have fun but I'm always having to help two of the players with basic math and neither ever takes the time to understand how their class works. Our DM is kinda in between but at least has the excuse of dyslexia, but he fucking tries, at least. He has no grasp of synergies, and every now and then someone has a brain fart and goes to him for character advice and end up walking away with a paladin/rogue that can't hit anything, but boy is he good at persuasion/deception checks or a warlock/ranger that is good at absolutely nothing.

Attachments

• nobody tells me what to read.png
    nobody tells me what to read.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 37