• "i hate these scumfuckers so much"

Tabletop Roleplaying Games (D&D, Pathfinder, CoC, ETC.)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Surtur, Apr 10, 2013.

1. I will admit, this game has some neat ideas, but the whole idea of your labels being the first thing about you in the main adventure (and the people in the video involved) lives and "ehhhhh" taste in my stomach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Yaoi Huntress Earth

Yaoi Huntress Earth My avatar is problematic.

kiwifarms.net
  2. I'm inclined to agree with you on this in its entirety. As far I know, I'm pretty sure that "Cyber-Dyke" does not qualify as a gender.

On an unrelated note, I am writing down some more ideas for my Vampire: The Masquerade/Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas crossover and thinking of potential plot hooks for when the campaign progresses, as the early stages of the game will be very decentralized and player-driven.

Also, has anyone ever played Senshi: The Merchandising? It's a Classic World of Darkness fan game from the late 1990's/early 2000's that puts Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptors, and a whole bunch of other 90's anime into the World of Darkness setting.

The more popular and widely-known fan game Princess: The Hopeful (for the New World of Darkness/Chronicles of Darkness) was originally intended as a more serious re-imagining of Senshi.

Senshi is a very tongue-in-cheek game and is intended to be a parody, but the rules are fairly functional and as lame as this may sound, I enjoy it so much that I consider it part of my personal World of Darkness head-canon.

Here are the rules for Senshi (it is assumed the reader is already familiar with World of Darkness)

http://www.thekeep.org/~wombat/senshi.html
    http://www.maison-otaku.net/~rhea/SW.html
    http://www.maison-otaku.net/~rhea/Arcadia.html

• Informative Informative x 1
    #1522 Syaoran Li, May 16, 2018 at 2:44 PM
    Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 2:52 PM
    Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li White Trash

kiwifarms.net
    Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
  3. This has to be a joke, right?

It's like they got out a checklist of SJW cliches in tabletop gaming, right down to the Powered By The Apocalypse mechanics.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that this game actually exists or that they're expecting people to waste twelve bucks on it.

Meanwhile, the majority of OSR PDF's are free and you can get a lot more actual enjoyment and versatility out of them, even if they're just retreads of older versions of D&D.

Hell, if I wanted to play a game like the one linked, I'd just create a lesbian naga PC in a Dark Dungeons or OD&D game and act good-aligned. It'd be a lot more fun and slightly less cringe-inducing. Slightly.

Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li White Trash

kiwifarms.net
  4. Sadly, it's not a joke. Don't get me wrong, unconventional, battle-free games can be done well. Still, I've seen stuff from professional companies with full color art that sell their PDFs for less.

• Feels Feels x 1
    Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
  5. Agreed. The people behind that lesbian naga game are delusional if they think people would waste that much money on a game like that. Like you said, it's not even a good unconventional RPG.

Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li White Trash

kiwifarms.net
  6. I sent her a message addressing my concerns that she is overcharging for her game and that the price would scare off potiental buyers (especially since they don't know how many pages it is). I'll see if she responds.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
    Anonymus Fluhre

Anonymus Fluhre No man fears what he has seen grow

kiwifarms.net
  7. I got some excellent news regarding my own boyscout rpg adventure as well. I just got a total of six players signed up last wednesday and will be developing the adventure and the lesson plan for them in the coming days so I'm excited about that. I will be letting other people join in if they want but I have most of what I need to start a campaign. next post about this, will be what the party looks like

• Like Like x 3
    andr0id psycho sho(ker

andr0id psycho sho(ker I destroy internet memes with my creepy stare!

kiwifarms.net
  8. If this is your first time DM’ing a game, I’d recommend having at most 6 players.

Rumpled Foreskin

Rumpled Foreskin Stop, he's already dead!
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  9. I'll be having someone more experienced helping me to, along with having a few runs in doing and being in campaigns, so I should be good for this round. The campaign only starts after I've gone through the rest of the lesson as a sort of final exam for the people participating. Thanks for the tip, though

andr0id psycho sho(ker

kiwifarms.net
  10. I talked with the lady who made the lesbian naga RPG about my concerns about the price and she says she already makes good money despite it being a 30 page PDF at $12.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Horrifying Horrifying x 1
    Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
  11. I hope she's just lying to save face or delusional, because if she isn't then I have lost all faith in humanity.

On an entirely unrelated note, I came up with a weird idea this morning out of sheer boredom and wrote down some outlines for it in a notebook.

I want to make a tabletop RPG based on Sonichu, intended to be a parody, obviously.

I'm already aware of "Don't Zap To The Extreme", which is a psychological horror game from the looks of it, but this idea of mine is more along the lines of an RPG that Chris himself would come up with if he was into D&D and Pathfinder.

It'd be a game where you actually played as a Sonichu or Rosechu, instead of trying to avoid becoming one.

Specifically, the game is an OSR game, most likely using Original Dungeons & Dragons or B/X D&D as the base for the mechanics. It is intentionally styled like a really bad Sonichu AU fanfiction, where CWCville is re-imagined as a decaying medieval kingdom in a fantasy setting. In addition to the infamous Sonichu comics, other inspirations include Arthurian fiction and of course, old-school D&D materials from the 1970's and very early 1980's (and the OSR material that emulates that era).

Chris is present as a mad and dying king, nearing the end of the line and oblivious to his own kingdom falling apart around him as he sinks further and further into delusion and isolation. The Chaotic Combo are also present as background NPC's, absent-minded nobles in King Chris's court and concerned more with their own petty goals than with the impending fall of CWCville.

The PC's (or "Recolors", as they are often referred to by the in-game text) are essentially the Sonichus and Rosechus created by the players themselves who have decided to make their own fortunes and glory through adventuring and questing, whether it be to simply plunder for wealth and survival, or to aim for the lofty goal of establishing their very own stronghold in the vast untamed wilderness of CWCville.

As a tribute to Chris's lack of original thinking, you still have the standard classes, levels, and spells from early D&D (Fighter, Magic-User, Cleric) and I've even considered running this as an OD&D joke campaign if I can get the right group for it as well as the proper venue to host it.

Overall, I am leaning more towards using the original 1974 D&D rules for this type of setting, most likely through the free retro-clone "Delving Deeper".

It's a very autistic and weird campaign setting and very deliberately so, and I think it could make for a fun campaign with the right DM and players.

Not sure if I want to call it "Sonichu: The Dark Ages" or go for a direct Arthurian shout-out with the title "Le Morte D'Chris-Chan" but that's a minor consideration anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li White Trash

kiwifarms.net
  12. If we're talking homebrew, a regular on the Discord and myself created a skeleton for how Beast: the Primordial should have been handled. He was the main mind behind its companion piece, which is on the heroes.

Monsters: the Mythic

Monsters are the representation of humanity's id. They are created whenever humans in an area collectively fall into their id's wants and desires, meaning they form from pograms, riots, looting, or other random mob acts. Monsters are made whenever the following five subconscious feelings break through during this group catharsis: Desire, Revenge, Anger, Fear, and Greed.

The primary emotion during a mass catharsis event are Sirens from Desire, Furies from Revenge, Giants from Anger, Bogeymen from Fear, and Dragons from Greed. The monsters have the ability to form a facade to hide their monstrousness, but there are always small tells that can twig them out. The five different breeds of monsters have similar benefits based on myth, with different 'legends' giving different benefits and even lore.

The monsters are driven by their Id element, and compelled to feed it. For example, Dragons are always obsessed with hoarding things they deem are worth it; they tend to go crazy and starve if they don't do it. Same with Giants, who are compelled to enact their rage onto the world or turn that rage inward. Sirens desire company, and Furies seek to punish others. As for Bogeymen, they need to feed on others' fear.

All monsters have a Bad End; in that they are fated to die at the hands of another, unless they find an inner peace. Some paths to do this include becoming the ultimate monster and completely break fate with sheer strength. Or alternatively, they become more than a monster via a path of redemption.

Heroes: the Suffering

Heroes are men and women that are ordained by some higher power to fulfill the role of a hero from myth. They gain special powers through this connection, which is why they are seperate from hunters. They gain these powers by playing the role of whatever hero they are meant to be. The five roles are the Maiden (represented by Jeanne d'Arc), the Wanderer (represented by the Argonauts), the Warrior (represented by Achilles), the Atoner (represented by Herakles), and the Strategist (represented by Sun Tzu).

Heroes are compelled to take up the call, and must save people from mundane and supernatural threats. Failure to do so results in bad things happening to themselves or their loved ones. They either die a hero or mark their legend permanently, which either way means they lose their powers. Heroes are almost always taught by a Mentor, which is a figure in the hero's life that trains them. All mentors are fated to die.

Most mentors die before the hero's story ends, and they serve as a spiritual guide, similar to a geist, until the Hero's Quest ends. However, the unluckiest mentors live past the hero's deed, where they become Chirons. Chirons are mentors who are stuck mentoring heroes until they die.
    They live functionally forever, locked in the age the hero's quest ends, until fate strikes them down.

Archetypes are legendary heroes that modern heroes can model themselves off of, gaining many bonuses with crippling weaknesses. An eponymous example is King Leonidas, a man that gives boons for the bigger your party is, but does not offer armor to your flanks and behind.

This basic concept was made because I finally read through Beast and hated how over complicated the idea was, among other things. Like, it should have just been a simple monster thing like what I did, not this half-assed Werewolf/Mage hybrid.

My companion wrote his idea of Heroes because he was disgusted at how McFarland treated them. He believed that heroes have to actually be heroic.

By the way, this was just a half hour of effort.

• Like Like x 3
    • Sieger Sieger x 1
    Adamska

Adamska Last Gunman
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  13. You sir, have just won the internet. I personally would love to play a game of Heroes: The Suffering.

And this goes without saying, but Matt McFarland can go fuck himself.

Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li White Trash

kiwifarms.net
  14. The last campaign of Pathfinder I played ended because one of our players never showered and I went on strike over it since I always had to sit next to him.

Also I had apparently rolled my character wrong and was getting shit about ‘cheating’ when I had no idea I’d done it and nobody helped me to find out til near three months into the campaign so yanno... that happened.

• Feels Feels x 2
    slimes

slimes what even
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  15. How did you cheat?

Also, that's pretty much how I would run a game of Beast. Maybe using OWoD as that sort of characters would fit there more I think with all of the other creatures.

• Like Like x 1
    Anonymus Fluhre

Anonymus Fluhre No man fears what he has seen grow

kiwifarms.net
  16. Man, I would play the shit out of both of these.

• Like Like x 1
    Randall Fragg

Randall Fragg Commissar of the Alt-Left
    Staff Member Moderator True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  17. For my Sonichu D&D game, I have finally decided on which system to use.

I am going to be using Holmes Basic by way of the retro-clone Blueholme Prentice rules (the free version of the game) and Meepo's Fan Expansion for Holmes (which is also compatible with Blueholme) and with some slight modifications.

Holmes is the perfect in-between convergence point for OD&D, AD&D 1E, and B/X.

I want to run it as a play by post forum game, or maybe I could run it as a text-only play by chat game over Discord.

@Randall Fragg if you or anyone else is interested in playing such a campaign, let me know.

I'm not sure if I should include references to other lolcows in my campaign though.

Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li White Trash

kiwifarms.net
  18. I'd recomend refferencing other cows that know and have impacted CWC in someway like Hirtes, A-log, ADF and others

• Like Like x 1
    andr0id psycho sho(ker

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.