Tabletop RPG System - Spergery

Dialtone

Buy happiness
kiwifarms.net
I made this tabletop system for a campaign I was going to do a year or so back and never got around to (and most likely won't ever get to) so I thought I'd post it here for other people to use if they want something different besides the typical D&D, GURPS, etc.

ALL ROLLS ARE SUBJECT TO GM INTERPRETATION

Result <= 25% Failure
Result > 25% and <50% Minor Success
Result > =50% and <75% Minor Success
Result > =75% Success

(ex. If you have a Strength skill of 4 and you roll a 1 it is 25% or less so it's a failure)

Skills
  • Strength - Affects physical weapon damage and burden
  • Endurance - Affects Damage Threshold (DT)
  • Agility - Affects Action Points (AP)
  • Accuracy - Affects damage with ranged weapons
  • Medical - Ability to heal DT
  • Mechanical - Ability to interact with hardware and heal Armor (AR)
  • Hacking - Ability to interact with software and electronics
  • Will - Affects mind and Psychic Threshold (PT)
  • Drive - Ability to control vehicles
  • Detect - Ability to notice and investigate things
  • Charisma - Ability to communicate with others
Skills
- Skill points are provided to players by the GM at their own discretion
- All skills start at 5
- Skills cannot go below 1
- Skills can only be upgraded with a skill point
- When a skill point is received the player can either upgrade a skill or exchange a point from
one skill to another

Talents
- A situational ability to allow a player to apply a bonus to their roll.
- Talents may not apply a constant passive bonus to rolls.
- Talents can are purchased with skill points.
- Talents are up to the player to decide and the GM to approve.
- Talents provide a 25% bonus if a specific condition set by the player is met.
- A player may have as many talents as they like, however talents cannot overlap.

Weight
- Weight is increased by the Strength skill by 20 LBS each level.
- The more weight you have the less you can move.
- Almost every object has weight to it and will influence the amount of Action Points (AP).
- Weight penalties are as described below
Weight <25%
Weight >= 25% and < 50%
Weight >= 50% and < 75%
Weight >= 75%
No penalty
25% penalty
50% penalty
75% penalty

Action Points (AP)
- APs are how many actions the player can perform in combat
- APs also determine how many zones a player can move through
- Every action will require 1 AP*
Damage Threshold (DT)
- This is a measure of health as it applies to organic matter.
- DT can be healed over time (as directed by the GM) or by player intervention (FAKs, etc.).
- DT is measured as thus at average stats
Head: 10
Torso: 50
Arms: 25
Legs: 25
- Each additional level of Endurance nets +2 DT to each limb

Armor (AR)
-This is a measure of health as it applies to inorganic matter (vehicles, vests, bionics, etc.)
-AR will not heal over time, but can be repaired by players with sufficient skill and tools.
-AR is determined by the item.

Psychic Threshold (PT)
- This is a measure of health as it applies to the mind.
- PT is directly affected by the Willpower skill.
- At average stats PT is 10.
- The more Will you have, the more PT you have (+2 per level same as DT)
- PT can be healed over time or by player intervention.

Bionics
- Bionics follow the same rules as Talents.
- Bionics are purchased with GEC (money).
- You may have multiple bionics on the same body part.*
*You cannot have multiple organs, but you can augment a single organ multiple times.

Melee
- Melee is affected by Strength.
- Small Melee Weapons (pocket knives, blackjacks, etc.) do damage equal to 1⁄2 Strength.
- Medium Melee Weapons (Hunting knives, Batons, etc.) do damage equal to 3⁄4 Strength.
- Large Melee Weapons (Machetes, Maces, Swords, etc.) do damage equal to 1.0x Strength.
- When using melee weapons, you must roll above 25% of your total Strength.
- In combat, melee weapons can only be used if both combatants are in the same zone.
- Non-Lethal options are available.

Guns
- Guns are affected by Accuracy.
- Full Metal Jacket (FMJ): is average against all mediums (1.0x vs AR/DT).
- Hollow Point (HP): is better against flesh, but not so much armor (0.5x vs AR, 1.5x vs DT).
- Anti-Personnel (AP): is better against armor, but not so much flesh (1.5x vs AR, 0.5x vs DT).
- Sm. Guns (derringers, snubbed revolvers, sub-compact pistols) do 1⁄2 * Accuracy damage.
- Md. Guns (big bore pistols/revolvers, short shotguns/rifles) do 3⁄4 * Accuracy damage.
- Lg. Guns (Intermediate/Battle rifles, Shotguns) do 1.0 * Accuracy damage.
- In combat, ranged weapons can be used across multiple zones.
- Non-Lethal options are available.

Explosives
- Explosives are not governed by any skills.
- Explosive damage is calculated by distance from the center (measured in zones.).
- Modifications to explosives can be performed to change their properties and increase
effectiveness against the intended target(s) (such as adding shrapnel or shaping it).

Psionics
- Psionics is affected by the Will stat.
- Psionics are only usable with a Catalyst.
- Internal Catalysts (similar to small guns/melee) do 1⁄2 of a Will roll.
- External Catalysts (similar to large guns/melee) do 1.0x of a Will roll.
- Psionic algorithms are either purchased or researched.

Role Playing
- Role playing may require rolls to be performed at GM discretion.
- Role playing itself does not have turns.

Zones
- A zone is a measure of distance.
- A zone can be any size of shape

This sheet is old

The ITEMS sheet gives gameplay critical values to all necessary objects

=======
WEAPONS
=======
* Weapon Categories are listed below
* Almost all weapons have the ability to be select fire, all additional WEP info will be discussed in the ITEMS sheet.
-Projectile Weapons
-Handgun (HG) (FMJ/HP/AP) (9x19mm, .40S&W, .45ACP) (RBR round compatible)
-Big Bore (BB) (FMJ/HP/AP) (10mm, .357 SIG, 41AE) (RBR round compatible)
-Intermediate Rifle (IR) (FMJ/JSP/BT) (5.56x45mm, 5.45x39mm, 6.5 Grendel)
-Battle Rifle (BR) (FMJ/JSP/BT) (7.62x51mm, 6.5 Creedmoor)
-Shotgun (SG) (00B/0000B/SLUG) (12ga 2 3/4", 12ga 3") (RBR round compatible)
-Anti-Material Rifle (AM) (FMJ/SP/HEAT) (12.7x99mm)

====
AMMO
====

Ammo Modifier Formula
*FMJ/00B = 1x vs DT, 1x vs AR (Standard ammo, cheap)
*HP/JSP/0000B = 1.5x vs DT, -1.5x vs AR (Hollow Point/Jacketed Soft Point/4-0 Buck is ammo that is better at reducing DT, but not AR)
*AP/BT/SLUG/AT = -1.5x vs DT, 1.5x vs AR (Anti-Personell/Black Tip/Anti-Tank is ammo that is better at reducing AR, but not DT)

* Projectile Weapon Damage is explained below
FMJ/00B = Full Metal Jacket standard ammo that performs averagely against DT and AR
AP/BT/SLUG = Anti-Personell/Black Tip is ammo that is better at reducing AR, but not good against DT
HP/JSP/0000B = Hollow Point/Jacketed Soft Point/4-0 Buck is ammo that is better at reducing DT, but not good against AR

- +HG (9x19mm .40 S&W .45 ACP)
--------------------------------
- FMJ = -1AR, HP = -1AR, AP = -2AR
- FMJ = -2DT, HP = -3DT, AP = -1DT

- +BB (10mm .41 AE .357 SIG)
- FMJ = -2AR, HP = -1AR, AP = -3AR
- FMJ = -4DT, HP = -6DT, AP = -2DT

- +IR (5.56x45mm 5.45x39mm 6.5 Grendel)
- FMJ = -3AR, JSP = -2AR, BT = -5AR
- FMJ = -6DT, JSP = -9DT, BT = -4DT

- +BR/SG (12ga 3", 7.62x51mm, 6.5 Creedmoor)
-------------------------------------------------
- FMJ/00B = -4AR, JSP/0000B = -3AR, BT/SLUG = -6AR
- FMJ/00B = -8DT, JSP/0000B = -12DT, BT/SLUG = -5DT

- +AM (12.7x108mm, 50 BMG, 20mm)
------------------------------------
- FMJ= -6AR, JSP = -4AR, HEAT = -9AR
- FMJ= -10DT, JSP = -15DT, HEAT = -7DT

-Melee Weapons (MEL) - Has to be at melee range

-(BLNT) Blunt - BLNT ignores AR and does DT
- Large (LG) (>12") x1.5 mod
- Small (SM) (<12") x1 mod

-(BLAD) Bladed - BLAD is better vs DT
- Large (LG)(>6") x1.5 mod
- Small (SM)(<6") x1 mod

-Explosive (EX) - Has Area of Effect

-(STUN) - STUN stuns for one turn (unless already stunned)
-(FRAG)mentation - FRAG
-(CHEM)ical - CHEM causes -DT over time.

-Non-Lethal (NL) - Cannot inflict CONSEQUENCES

-(CHEM) - Causes -DT over time
-(SHK)Shock - Stuns one turn (unless already stunned)
-(RBR)Beanbag/Rubber ball - Causes DT damage, cannot do AR damage (Available for HG, BB, and SG only. equivical to HP/0000B w/o AR damage)

=====
ARMOR
=====
Soft Body Armor (SBA)
5LBS
8AR
HG = 100%
BB = 75%
IR = 0%
SG/BR = 0%
AM = 0%

Ceramic Armor (CER)
10LBS
15AR
HG = 100%
BB = 100%
IR = 100%
SG/BR = 50%
AM = 0%

Hard Body Armor (HBA)
20LBS
30AR
HG = 100%
BB = 100%
IR = 100%
SG/BR = 50%
AM = 0%

===
MED
===
First Aid Kit (FAK) - Uses MED Skill, has 10 uses currently(MED x2= MAX DT that can be healed) 2LBS
Medi-Fiber - Requires no skill, has 10 uses currently (can heal 25% DT MAX)

===
MEC
===
Tool Kit - Uses MEC skill, has 10 uses currently(MEC x2= MAX AR that can be repaired) 4LBS
Nanopaste - Requires no skill, has 10 uses currently (Can heal 25% AR MAX)
Gun Cleaning Kit - Requires no skill, has 10 uses currently (Negates -5DUR after 500 rounds)

===
ELE
===
Wiring Kit - Uses ELE skill, has 10 uses currently(ELE x2= MAX AR that can be repaired) 2LBS
Nanopaste - Requires no skill, has 10 uses currently (Can heal 25% AR MAX)

=====
OTHER
=====

Psyonic Catalysts

Internal Psyonic Catalyst (PSY IN) - Does not need to be charged, Provides no PSY bonus, Does not require a PSY adapter, must be repaired with MED and ELE, 0LBS
PSY x1, 0 Charge Time (CT)

External Psyonic Catalyst (PSY EX) - Requires 1 Turn to charge, powerful, requires Psyonic Interface (PSY INTF.) , repaired with ELE, 3LBS
PSY x2, 1 Charge Time (CT)

Catalysts can learn new abilities by downloading PSY Formulas, however they are unusable unless the person has a high enough PSY ability.

Catalyst Formulas

PHYSICS
I - Lift - Can lift and move objects
II - Push/Pull - Can quickly throw or pull an object
III - Bend/Break - Can twist and shatter materials
IV - Levitation - Can move in the air
V - Barrier - Can create a barrier repelling objects

ELECTRONIC PHENOMENON
I - Charge - Can add Charge counters to the PSY Catalyst negating the need to charge every turn.
II - Polarize - Charge materials to attract or repel ferrous objects
III - Discharge - Remove all charge counters from PSY Catalyst and deal damage
IV - Bolt - Long range bolt of lightning, can attack multiple targets
V - Galvanize - Animate organisms

THERMODYNAMICS
I - Flash - a bright flash that stuns enemies
II - Ignite - ignite bonded molecules into an explosion
III - Friction - use air friction to drill into and melt materials
IV - Heat Wave - a barrier of heat able to melt objects that come into its range
V - Shift - dissociate molecular bonds and turn material into pure energy

NEUROPATHY
I - Transmit - Can transmit thoughts remotely
II - Recieve - Can read thoughts
III - Inhibitor - Can decrease the effectivity of PSY
IV - Animate - Can make a sentient being move
V - Swap - Can swap consciencousness with sentient beings

Last edited:

RSVP

kiwifarms.net
Result <= 25% Failure
Result > =75% Success

(ex. If you have a Strength skill of 4 and you roll a 1 it is 25% or less so it's a failure)
So if a skill is at 3 or below, it can never fail?

Dialtone

Buy happiness
kiwifarms.net
OK, well, IMO 1 should be a critical fail, 2-3 a lesser fail, 4-5 success and 6 a crit.
I kind of wanted leveling up your character leveling up to matter more, so for example enemies have the same stats as you do so if an enemy has 4 Strength and you have 8 Strength you end up doing way more damage and they can't hurt you as much and I didn't include crits as the talents that a player gets supplements that.

Freedom Gobbler

gobbles
kiwifarms.net
I kind of wanted leveling up your character leveling up to matter more, so for example enemies have the same stats as you do so if an enemy has 4 Strength and you have 8 Strength you end up doing way more damage and they can't hurt you as much and I didn't include crits as the talents that a player gets supplements that.
Ah gotcha. Well, I kind feel like crits are way more satisfying from a gameplay perspective than a talent you can just beckon. When using d6 I would have an armor class score that was required for the strikes to matter at any rate and wouldn't factor leveling up as much. Just kinda used STR and other modifiers to help with a +1 or +2 on rolls or for saving throws.

Dialtone

Buy happiness
kiwifarms.net
Ah gotcha. Well, I kind feel like crits are way more satisfying from a gameplay perspective than a talent you can just beckon. When using d6 I would have an armor class score that was required for the strikes to matter at any rate and wouldn't factor leveling up as much. Just kinda used STR and other modifiers to help with a +1 or +2 on rolls or for saving throws.
Talents can't be called at any time, they have to be specific conditions like say if you rolled a 50% on a hard to hack system, but it was a Unix system which correlated with a Unix System Knowledge talent you have so it bumps it up to a 75% and passes. A lot of the talent stuff is open to interpretation between the GMs and the players so it's not as much of a stale numbers game. Armor is discussed in the items sheet, there isn't armor class, there's just AR which is a value representation of how much damage it prevents, once AR on an item (such as body armor) reaches 0, it's broken and useless.

Freedom Gobbler

gobbles
kiwifarms.net
Talents can't be called at any time, they have to be specific conditions like say if you rolled a 50% on a hard to hack system, but it was a Unix system which correlated with a Unix System Knowledge talent you have so it bumps it up to a 75% and passes. A lot of the talent stuff is open to interpretation between the GMs and the players so it's not as much of a stale numbers game. Armor is discussed in the items sheet, there isn't armor class, there's just AR which is a value representation of how much damage it prevents, once AR on an item (such as body armor) reaches 0, it's broken and useless.
oo. I tend to err on keeping systems as dummy simple as possible. When I used to play tabletops we were all drunk or stoned so you wanted really baby-easy mechanics to keep people engaged.

WinchesterPremium

Molṑn lolí
kiwifarms.net
Result <= 25% Failure
Result > =75% Success
And...what do you roll exactly? 1d6 from the rest of your conversation?

So someone with a base 5 has a 1/6 chance of failure, someone with a 6 has a ...1/6 failure, someone with a 7 has a ....1/6 failure.....someone with an 8 has a....2/6 failure. You get worse with higher numbers, but higher numbers look like they're supposed to be good elsewhere. The levels don't really change much between each level-up, I doubt you'd feel much advancement from this system.

- When a skill point is received the player can either upgrade a skill or exchange a point from
one skill to another
Why would you ever exchange instead of upgrade?

Weight <25%
You should really drop the % nonsense if you're working with d6s. It doesn't work out on any level.

Just a different flavor of percentage nonsense.

If you really like percentages that much, just use a percentage die.

• Agree
Reactions: Freedom Gobbler

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You do know there are systems that don't use a d20, right? Ever heard of West End? They only ever use d6 dice pools. Also, why bother when you can go to a game store... or shop online for d20s... OR just use a dice roller?

Also attributes are mixed with skills and percentiles are trash unless you're using a d100. You also have a complexity problem and many parts that relies purely on GM arbitration, meaning you won't get standard or consistent results.

Dialtone

Buy happiness
kiwifarms.net
And...what do you roll exactly? 1d6 from the rest of your conversation?

So someone with a base 5 has a 1/6 chance of failure, someone with a 6 has a ...1/6 failure, someone with a 7 has a ....1/6 failure.....someone with an 8 has a....2/6 failure. You get worse with higher numbers, but higher numbers look like they're supposed to be good elsewhere. The levels don't really change much between each level-up, I doubt you'd feel much advancement from this system.

Why would you ever exchange instead of upgrade?

You should really drop the % nonsense if you're working with d6s. It doesn't work out on any level.

Just a different flavor of percentage nonsense.

If you really like percentages that much, just use a percentage die.
You do know there are systems that don't use a d20, right? Ever heard of West End? They only ever use d6 dice pools. Also, why bother when you can go to a game store... or shop online for d20s... OR just use a dice roller?

Also attributes are mixed with skills and percentiles are trash unless you're using a d100. You also have a complexity problem and many parts that relies purely on GM arbitration, meaning you won't get standard or consistent results.
Noted, I just posted this system if anyone wanted to use it as a jumping off point for their own system, I've only played like 1 or 2 tabletop RPGs and I didn't know about any other ones besides the ones that everyone has played, I know know the system I worked out is overly complex and filled with typos and too many boring number calculations.

Tags
None