Taskmaster, a British gameshow - Now free for everyone to watch on YouTube

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
4. I just find this series a bit forgettable. Greg being too harsh on Hugh and too nice to Lolly wasn't even done in a funny way. Noel was cool I guess. But that's about it.

6. Liza Tarbuck and Tim Vine were great, but Russell Howard looking like someone pissed in his cornflakes and just Alice Levine kind of ruined it.

8. Iain was a big part of why I hated this series, yeah. But the whole atmosphere was just kind of hostile, Lou was insufferable and arrogant, just with her costume alone, Joe just looked lost, Paul Sinha was game, bless him, but it just felt like we were laughing AT him rather than with. Sian held it together though, true.

But we had Series 12 ending tonight, Morgana deserved it and this was a great finale! I love it when there's an actual competition.

Series 13 has a largely mysterious set of contestants as far as I'm concerned. I only really know Ardal O'Hanlon (Careful now!) and I've heard of Judi Love but only because I watched the episode of Celebrity Catchphrase with her in it the other day. She can laugh at herself at least.

Chris Ramsey, Bridget Christie and Sophie Duker? Literally who?

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
8. Iain was a big part of why I hated this series, yeah. But the whole atmosphere was just kind of hostile, Lou was insufferable and arrogant, just with her costume alone, Joe just looked lost, Paul Sinha was game, bless him, but it just felt like we were laughing AT him rather than with. Sian held it together though, true.
Have you been listening to the podcast? When Iain was on, he said he thought he needed to fit a mold so he started off trying to be 'the competitive one' in the studio, but he relaxed and stopped trying to do that after the first couple of tapings - and that his friends and family said it wasn't nearly as exaggerated as he liked to think. He also said that the thing with the team tasks was that he, Paul and Lou were all friends, so they'd be chatting happily away both before and after a task and not experiencing any tension at all, and they had no idea how they were coming across onscreen. I've already said that I end up liking everybody, and the thing with Iain for me is the same as someone like Katherine Parkinson, where I also really enjoy it when the contestants really feel like they're learning about themselves during the course of the show. As Greg put it in one of the openers this season, 'the contestants wanted to show another side of themselves - but not like that! Not that side!' I like that, because with the possible exception of Paul Choudhury, where it seems like no one in UK comedy knows how much is an act and how much is just him, you can't hide behind a persona on Taskmaster, you just can't.

As for this season, I really loved it and was rooting for Morgana to win. I loved her attitude, she was one of the best lateral thinkers (I don't think she got enough credit for the riddle-solving task for just how useful she was being even isolated in the caravan) and she just dove into the whole experience. I've always found Victoria charming, and I loved just how weird her life is that she makes seem normal through sheer force of will, like always carrying flapjacks and customising her inhaler. Being the only one to burst the balloon without the portcullis scissors, watching her learn to ride a bike on television, the second appearance of Greedy, Esq. - and it felt like half the episodes were named after things she said.

But I loved all of them and their dynamics. Alan is a national treasure, and he managed to not really care about it all while still putting in effort. I enjoyed Desiree's constant disbelief at how stupid everything was, but still throwing herself into that stupidity with gusto, and how more and more Guz came off as just an eager, overgrown boy. And with only a couple of exceptions (the 'sheets of paper/paper airplane' one mostly), the final tasks were some of the absolute best. A couple were similar to ones from Taskmaster NZ, but the tension in both '5 bad balloons' and 'pop up closest to the pop' tasks was genuinely intense - and the final one was a delight, from Greg completely getting into Victoria's head to all the monster noises - loved it.

Up there with the best seasons, and as good as the very hard act to follow that was Season 11. The closest thing I have to a complaint is that I wish they hadn't shown that clip of Morgana as the green mermaid in the opening credits, because it was such a striking image I spent the entire season waiting for the context. So it undermined the reveal because it wasn't shown until the very last filmed task. Otherwise I just want to go on about my favourite bits: Victoria being surprisingly good at identifying foodstuffs, while Morgana had it all blended and got Alex to eat it, Alan's surprisingly amazing sand bridge while Desiree taste-tested the sand, Desiree and Morgana's booted horror films, the sport/commentating task from both teams, Greg's imitation of Morgana being all 'I'll die, I don't mind!' for the mountain-climbing team task, bringing back using Susie Dent to demystify the wording of the task, every time Morgana swore, especially at Alex, Victoria's inability, and yet success at, the phone call task, Guz's expressions when wearing a head-camera, his pleasure while painting 'a gentleman's six inches' above his face and his reaction to Alex breaking down the door and retrieval of the football...

This is why I don't post in this thread very often.

As for the new cast - I also haven't heard of any of them except Ardal, so it will be interesting to see. I have faith in Alex to choose well, but it's less exciting when you don't know anything rather than when you see a name and start wondering how they'll do and imagine them in all sorts of tasky situations.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Have you been listening to the podcast? When Iain was on, he said he thought he needed to fit a mold so he started off trying to be 'the competitive one' in the studio, but he relaxed and stopped trying to do that after the first couple of tapings - and that his friends and family said it wasn't nearly as exaggerated as he liked to think.
I haven't. I don't tend to listen to podcasts, I probably should start though, it'll fill in workdays.

As for Iain's competitive streak, I've seen him do the same thing in later game shows, albeit to a lesser degree, so I think there's a bit of truth in jest there.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
New Year's Treat II has been announced and we have a list of contestants.

Adrian Chiles-Sporty commentator man.
Claudia Winkleman-Floppy fringed presenter and shampoo spokeswoman
Jonnie Peacock-Paralympian. This will either go amazingly or amazingly. At least they weren't cruel enough to get Rosie Jones I guess.
Lady Leshurr-Shitty rapper
Sayeeda Warsi-An actual member of the House Of Lords, oh God I hope the claws are out for this scum.

Übertroon

Gotta go fast
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The series has a few obviously scripted moments. Like why was there a camera conveniently in the washing machine when someone had to use it? Or the camera crew somehow being positioned in front of someone who supposedly has been sprinting as fast as they can away from the filming location

But I enjoy the banter and the moments where they go full caveman

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The series has a few obviously scripted moments. Like why was there a camera conveniently in the washing machine when someone had to use it? Or the camera crew somehow being positioned in front of someone who supposedly has been sprinting as fast as they can away from the filming location

But I enjoy the banter and the moments where they go full caveman
They have cameras everywhere. Everywhere. But also, they are a television production - if someone decided to use the washing machine and the camera wasn't set up, they'd just pause the task, put the camera in, then unpause it.

For example, when they do a task where they get to request items for what they're preparing, like most of the food tasks, what generally happens is they do the first bit, and then while they're waiting for the crew to get the items requested they'll do another task. I don't think of that as scripted, just editing.

I really love the idea of Taskmaster Supermax, because apparently the plan is to eventually have every international version on there as well as just the British one. But they're currently adding a series of the original a week, and I've read that they don't just have no commercials, but also the bits where they throw to and from commercials as well. So it's paying money to get ever-so-slightly less content, even if those bits could be considered the most disposable bits. So there's no point getting it until they start putting on other versions, but who knows if they'll get to other versions if no one joins before that point...

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I only recognise Ardal and Chris, but I've loved pretty much all of the contestants so far, even the ones I haven't heard of.
I've only heard of Ardal and Judi. From the ads I've seen, Ardal is basically Dougaling and Judi is being black Jo Brand.

khaine

kiwifarms.net
I've only heard of Ardal and Judi. From the ads I've seen, Ardal is basically Dougaling and Judi is being black Jo Brand.

I only know Ardal. First episode is out, I haven't watched it yet. I hope its good.

khaine

kiwifarms.net
So I just watched the first episode. All the contestants lacked energy. It all felt a bit flat.

IDanceonTrannyGraves

kiwifarms.net
I thought Chris had good energy. Sophie's Luchador jousting actually made me laugh.

It's nice to have real crowds back for the show.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just watched the first episode. Judi is bringing maximum black lasy sass and it's hilarious and Ardal is indeed Dougaling (and was called out by Greg for it) but Chris seems to be wildly genre savvy about this whole show considering his actions in the duck task.

Not too sure about the other two. I was worried when Sophie started talking during the duel task and was only mildly reassured when she turned it into a fucking rap contest (no way should that have gotten 5 points) and Bridget seems to be hyper-aggressive, which has the potential to grate on me massively.

Otherwise it's nice to have an audience again and the dynamic of the guests seems to be more competitive, where they'll all pick at eachother's attempts and try to undermine them (especially Ardal, go team Troll!) but still not go so far where it becomes hostile.