Tasty expensive food recommendations - Food that’s actually worth the price

Slappy McGherkin

Bartender? Make that a double.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It’s not veal, but the pork osso buco at this restaurant is pretty damn good.
Looks scrumptious! Not uncommon to sub pork for veal because pork shanks are more readily available and cheaper. I've had both, but the veal is definitely the way to go if you can find it. It just kind of melts in your mouth. I've mostly found the veal at higher-end Italian fine dining restaurants (besides what we make at home).

Always makes me think of our local Honey Bear's BBQ tagline: "You don't need no teeth to eat our meat!"

A borscht-on

kiwifarms.net
Foie gras. Almost impossible to get where I live, but around Xmastime you can really hunt around and find some at gourmet stores. I thought it was over-hyped pate, but it is really--and I mean really--delicious.

Qualicum Bay scallops and Fanny Bay oysters, both from Vancouver Island and worth every penny of the import/export price. Heavenly.

Canadian maple-glazed smoked salmon chunks.

Argentinian beef.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
beef wellington is apparently expensive, but is it any good?
I know my dad liked it. Apparently there was a fad for it back in the 70’s. It’s one of those “expensive due to PITA prep” rather than “expensive due to rarity”. Like Baked Alaskan.

I think the tricky thing is getting the beef done, but not overdone, in the puff pastry.

I’d like to try Chanterelles Morels sometime.They’re not overly expensive, just very, very seasonal. I see them at $5 per lb during the season as you can forage for them where I live.

Last edited:

Whatthefuck

kiwifarms.net
Looks scrumptious! Not uncommon to sub pork for veal because pork shanks are more readily available and cheaper. I've had both, but the veal is definitely the way to go if you can find it. It just kind of melts in your mouth. I've mostly found the veal at higher-end Italian fine dining restaurants (besides what we make at home).

Always makes me think of our local Honey Bear's BBQ tagline: "You don't need no teeth to eat our meat!"
I had an amazing venison osso buco once. It was quite expensive at the restaurant, but I've never tried to source venison shanks so they could be relatively cheap. Hell, if you live around a bunch of hunters you could probably snag a few in season. It's a fantastic cooking method for that cut. No gamey taste that venison can take on sometimes.

twi1992

Buckle the Fuck Up Slut, We're Geting Shitfaced.
kiwifarms.net
Also, if you're trying to find veal for osso bucco that's a little less expensive, go to a Halah grocery store. Way easier to find a nice big lamb shank there than at a Safeway/Whole Foods/Albertson's/etc.

Tags
None