Team Fortress 2 Community - A free-to-play dressup game for grownups, home of troons, pedophiles, furries and bronies. "The game is dead!" for the 4th year in a row.

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

Snom Clubber

Let's go clubbing!
kiwifarms.net
I miss when tf2 item descriptions were offensive and not horny.
I miss when the game wasn't completely inundated with all manners of the mentally ill: furries, trannies, bronies, lolicons/pedophiles, diaper fetishists, etc.
I firmly maintain that going F2P was one of the worst decisions made in TF2's history. Sure, those types of "people" will always be a thing and they probably still would have joined the TF2 player base eventually, but losing even that minor barrier to entry (TF2 used to cost $10) immediately catapulted the game into the depths of degenerate hell. You couldn't join a server in 2012 without half the lobby being bronies, and it only got worse from there. Of course, the game being free also makes it cheaper for dickheads to run bots.
Suffice to say, TF2 going F2P and its consequences have been a disaster for the game's well-being.

serious n00b

Autism talks: Everything else walks
kiwifarms.net
Hitler's Solution.png

I miss when the game wasn't completely inundated with all manners of the mentally ill: furries, trannies, bronies, lolicons/pedophiles, diaper fetishists, etc.
I firmly maintain that going F2P was one of the worst decisions made in TF2's history. Sure, those types of "people" will always be a thing and they probably still would have joined the TF2 player base eventually, but losing even that minor barrier to entry (TF2 used to cost $10) immediately catapulted the game into the depths of degenerate hell. You couldn't join a server in 2012 without half the lobby being bronies, and it only got worse from there. Of course, the game being free also makes it cheaper for dickheads to run bots.
Suffice to say, TF2 going F2P and its consequences have been a disaster for the game's well-being.
While I agree with the notion that going F2P opened the gates for tards, I feel that the fact TF2 went F2P is why it still holds a sizable player-base to this day. It's basically pre-packaged with Steam. Almost everyone on that platform has played TF2 at least once. And I doubt that would be happening if the game still held a price tag.

Now whether or not TF2 living on this long is a good or bad thing is a different matter entirely.

Snom Clubber

Let's go clubbing!
kiwifarms.net
While I agree with the notion that going F2P opened the gates for tards, I feel that the fact TF2 went F2P is why it still holds a sizable player-base to this day. It's basically pre-packaged with Steam. Almost everyone on that platform has played TF2 at least once. And I doubt that would be happening if the game still held a price tag.

Now whether or not TF2 living on this long is a good or bad thing is a different matter entirely.
It might have lived this long healthily if there were good monetary reasons to care about it. Imagine if they were still churning out content to attract new players and keep older ones coming back instead of simply approving two shitty cosmetic crates a year.

It might have lived this long healthily if there were good monetary reasons to care about it. Imagine if they were still churning out content to attract new players and keep older ones coming back instead of simply approving two shitty cosmetic crates a year.
You might be right. I can't honestly say that TF2 would have died off if TF2 stayed P2P. But I can't honestly say that support wouldn't have died off if they stayed P2P either.

You'd have to go through numbers that I'm not sure we have access to: Seeing how large the boost in players was after they went F2P & how long that bump lasted, How much money was spent on the game before & after the F2P switch, key sales before and after, So on & so forth.

Something to look into, I guess.

Last edited:

Unyielding Stupidity

i will become back my money
kiwifarms.net
Like in CS:GO, TF2 has it's own economy based around Steam Trading, and one feature of this is being able to put custom names and descriptions on items.

Which leads to things like this:
View attachment 2459060
It's worth mentioning that the hat in this picture is worth around $5,500. You could buy a decent used car for that sort of money, and yet this person used it to buy a virtual cosmetic, and then name it this.

JimboWhales

kiwifarms.net

I don’t know, I think you’d be pretty hard pressed to find a pay to play multiplayer game that still attracts new players and has consistent content updates a decade after release. You have WoW but that’s a subscription, so it’s still built more around milking existing players for money.

What is probably true is that if TF2 hadn’t gone f2p we’d probably have TF3 by now, for better or for worse. The goofy economies in all Valve’s multiplayer games pretty much require that they never do something like make a sequel that would put the value of your $1000 frying pan at risk.

bonkmaykr

HUMILIATION
kiwifarms.net
It's worth mentioning that the hat in this picture is worth around $5,500. You could buy a decent used car for that sort of money, and yet this person used it to buy a virtual cosmetic, and then name it this.
I feel like spending money on collecting something expensive isn't as much of an autistic hobby as making YouTube videos humiliating yourself and others in your community (cough WAMO cough), but it's certainly a strange one.

0x0000C1A

Que nos souvenirs soient brisés dans ce mandala en
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
imagine all the refunds over getting repeatedly tapped by a 200 ping bot because they have no clue how to enable the famous "spinhack" xd
If the bot has 400 ping its basically antiaiming by the sheer virtue of lagging a lot - Nothing will help that one

On the other hand - imagine what boost the czech doorknob industry had from lmaobox purchases.

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
I traded my days away for two specific mid-range unusuals, easily $90 each. I gave away my own gold MvM weapons, earbuds that I paid someone $5 upon release to log onto my account from a mac to receive, all that fancy shit. Sold both hats for a new GPU since my old one burned out. Now that I'm older and got a job? Could drop $70 on a stylish, simple, yet noticeable all-class unusual and maybe $30 in total for fitting thematic outfits for all of them. Done deal. Look like a playa at the cost of two AAA games. It's really not that bad if TF2 is your jam.

In terms of being alive, I think it died with matchmaking. F2P was whatever; you already owned TF2 most likely. It's not having a server browser pop up that killed it. I myself just jump into a payload matchmaking server cause it's the least demanding in terms of brainpower while still being able to kill a few losers and feel good about it. Hell, you even meet nice people on those servers. A mix of 4chan, Reddit, and actually likeable people. It's just not sustainable.

Imagine Apex, R6 or CSGO. You're thrown into a 15 minute game with no incentive to talk to people except having them aid in your win. If you lose, you wasted your time. First of all, Apex has a 'mute all' button on the load screen. R6 and CSGO are usually you and 4 stacked people who're talking on Discord. TF2? You can get 1 kill and technically be useful. You can get 6 per life and be above average. A pro and a loser could have fun together on the same server. When was that an option last?

I'm sure it's still a fun game but it's bordering on a Discord game; one you'd have to arrange playnights with, and that's fucked when you're living outside of the server's location. Staying up til 3 AM to hear some fat yankee fuck go "Wowee, that was a rough lunch!".

0x0000C1A

Que nos souvenirs soient brisés dans ce mandala en
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
if Valve went after the lmaobox users at the same time as the cat bots
Catbot detections would be a separate thing most likely - if they manage to make one with the release of the steam deck that is. Also, there's not exactly of a point to detecting catbots due to how VAC works and does not instantly ban accounts that have been detected to be cheating - therefore the catbot operator theoretically can just make a new account (or 20 (or 40)) in 2 clicks and move on with his life.
Lmaobox has not been detected since 2017. Given an incentive they can get lmaobox detected literally next week. But take into account that the cheat developer can make the cheat undetected again in a matter of hours - making the anti-cheat developers work of dumping, reversing and submitting a cheat to VAC (with an exception of accounts that have been caught using the cheat and getting banned) almost nil.
Speaking of "dumping, reversing and submitting" - in a twist of irony VAC itself has been subject to this.

Although it will be very much hilarious to see the people who claim "to cheat for the good of the game" that "only targeted other hackers" bitch and whine about getting banned. It's like hack v. hack servers but cardinally more exceptional.

WULULULULU

We call this a difficulty tweak!
kiwifarms.net
I remember when people would spend $100 on those virtual engagement rings in order to make dumb jokes in the midst of pubs.

One did make me laugh though. The entire TF2 community has accepted that "The game is dead." Congratulations!
Maybe they should learn from Overkill
Screenshot (74).png

I swear to god, people say that spending money on Genshin and WoT was bad but spending it on cosmetic lootboxes in TF2 or CS:GO is okay. No it is not you fucking mangled niggers. Its like Valve players are so conditioned to accept that this is "normal".

Thiletonomics

SPOOPY RICE
kiwifarms.net
I swear to god, people say that spending money on Genshin and WoT was bad but spending it on cosmetic lootboxes in TF2 or CS:GO is okay. No it is not you fucking mangled niggers. Its like Valve players are so conditioned to accept that this is "normal".

I still find it very concerning of how people that play Valve games accept the microtransactions that much. DOTA 2 players also have the same mindset, with all of the cosmetics available in that game.

At least they're not spending $10K+ on something like Ultimate Team in either Madden or FIFA, or the sheer amounts that DSP spends on WWE Champions.