Team Fortress 2 - Hat Fortress 2: America's #1 War-themed Hat Simulator

Best class(es) to play as?

• Total voters

Rupert Bear

utrrbeapre.html
kiwifarms.net
Seeing this game degenerate in real time was heartbreaking.

Back before all the class updates and free weekends you actually had a healthy but fairly small and insulated community, everyone knew each other and fun times were had. Then the first free weekend arrived and with it the bane of all communities: the 12 year olds. Kids screaming into bottom shelf mics and griefing when things didn't go their way.

Then the class updates started rolling around with gimmick weapons and while the Kritzkrieg was a fine addition everyone lost their mind when the pyro got the Backburner. But even that was okay, compared to the truckload of hats/weapons/whatever that came out each month with every big release game, "Buy this game and get X for TF2." And when the game finally went free those who actually bought it back then got a free hat, thanks gaben.

The game also got progressively worse performance-wise as time went on, not only effects got removed they somehow slowly degraded the average frame rate, not to mention there were weapons that,when they came out, could crash the server because they had so many particles the Tower of Ducttape could not handle it, oh and naturally every major update screwed up the spy backstab hitbox.

I don't know what game got whored out as much as TF2. I don't play a lot of Dota2 but i know its full of "cosmetics" too, but then again it's also a Valve game.

The MyM update killed it for me. Even before the bot invasion, after matchmaking became a thing, nearly all community servers inexplicably turned into 24/7 2fortbinebowltowerorange pub garbage or servers with dumb custom gamemodes.

There isn't any middle ground anymore. You either play a wacky meme match that's barely anything like TF2, or a srs business comp-lite match on the same entry level maps you can find in 3 seconds via the server browser. You can't just have a regular comfy match on something like cp_granary or pl_cactuscanyon with sprays and alltalk.

Nauseated Courgi

Spontaneously Alive and Well
kiwifarms.net
Do you guys think their approach to stopping bots is effective?

I've seen it in action and from what I can tell it can lead to scenarios where F2Ps are unfairly kicked out of games because of the assumption that their robots.

Beelzebub's Gate

an hero
kiwifarms.net
Do you guys think their approach to stopping bots is effective?

I've seen it in action and from what I can tell it can lead to scenarios where F2Ps are unfairly kicked out of games because of the assumption that their robots.
The update did help quite a bit, but the main problem is that VAC is outdated. With the newer cheats it could take a year or more to get banned (For example: Twilight Sparkle) I feel like an update with new cheat definitions and bot prevention would significantly reduce the number of cheaters on casual/competitive. I don't enjoy playing on community servers because admins and rules. Just want to play some ole fashioned TF2.

MooseGump

Woah
kiwifarms.net
I lit some candles and sold away my inventory since I don't really see the whole bot problem getting better enough to play without fear of bullshit

It's a sad sight to see but if valve manages to get something good out I'll probably reinstall, but for now this is it for me :(

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
The update did help quite a bit, but the main problem is that VAC is outdated. With the newer cheats it could take a year or more to get banned (For example: Twilight Sparkle) I feel like an update with new cheat definitions and bot prevention would significantly reduce the number of cheaters on casual/competitive. I don't enjoy playing on community servers because admins and rules. Just want to play some ole fashioned TF2.

question is how far they can go without going full-blown rootkit. remember the kerfuffle with steam just parsing your dns-cache in some cases? and everytime a company tries there's pushback, just look at riot when they tried to pander to the e-sport crowd with their overwatch cs:go.

the biggest irony however is that valve fucked themselves in that regard, cheaters are hardly a thing with community servers since the admins will just kickban them, while being much more attentive and faster than any support staff could ever be. turns out casuals being able to play in peace however they want actually improves the game.

I lit some candles and sold away my inventory since I don't really see the whole bot problem getting better enough to play without fear of bullshit

It's a sad sight to see but if valve manages to get something good out I'll probably reinstall, but for now this is it for me :(

might really be a good idea to get some steambux and turn it into games I actually play. otoh fuck valve's verification shit, I'm not a russian scammer, you're not getting my number gaybe.
because whenever I get the itch and reinstall I get greeted with a menu that gives me hard AOL flashbacks and a game on the technical level of an unpatched windows xp.

Nauseated Courgi

Spontaneously Alive and Well
kiwifarms.net
pyro is a shitty gimmick class that takes no skill to play effectively.
Every class in the game is a Gimmick class.

Scout is the fast shooter
Spy can disguse himself as the enemy and insta-kill
Sniper is a sniper and can throw piss jars.
Heavy is a tank that can heal himself.
Medic is a medic that can sometimes make his teammates invincible.
Demoman is a bomber that shoots and sets bombs.
Engineer can deploy sentries that do most of the fighting for him.

Pyro is no different than the other classes.

As for the "no skill", much like every other class, Pyro has a wide range of weapons that all require the player to git gud to use. Yeah some weapons, like the phlog and the Scorchshot, are considered brainless choices by some but they still require some experience to use effectively.

The Sauce Boss

merry crimiss, pogchamp!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Medic/ Demo main here, thinking of playing a bit more sniper, but I really don't have an interest in the Machina or the stock rifle. Out of the Hitman's Heatmaker and Bazaar Bargain, which is the most viable and new-player friendly?

Lolcow Imperium

Defend Artsakh
kiwifarms.net
Medic/ Demo main here, thinking of playing a bit more sniper, but I really don't have an interest in the Machina or the stock rifle. Out of the Hitman's Heatmaker and Bazaar Bargain, which is the most viable and new-player friendly?
Their both kinda similar weapons but I'd recommend starting with the Hitman's Heatmaker. From personal experience you mostly forget about the Focus metre, but the damage reduction on bodyshots encourages you to aim more for headshots and be an all around more effective sniper. Transfer into the Bazaar Bargain once you are good enough to land consecutive head-shots and you will be rewarded with faster charge times for aiming.
Not relevant but the Bazaar Bargain looks really fucking cool.
I imagine the people you’re complaining about w+m1. There are ranged characters in the videogame, you almost always have the advantage at range. If you die to a pyro who is only using secondary you deserve it.
My problem with Pyro isn't his secondaries, its that every other combat class in the game actively encourages you to learn to aim and track effectively besides him. Literally every other combat class, you could debatably say the same thing about Heavy but at least he requires his user to know how to lock on to and track enemies to maximize damage. Playing Pyro does not encourage such a process, you look at the enemy, run forward, press m1 and strafe around them until they're dead. TF2 is a game that encourages you to track and aim good in order to be a better contributor to your team, Soldier's rockets do more damage when they hit directly, Sniper does more damage when he hits headshots, etc. Pyro encourages the complete opposite, your most basic form of attack is also your most effective. Soldier's dont do more damage when they get splash damage, Snipers don't do more damage when they get bodyshots, so why should Pyro?

Last edited: