Team Fortress 2 - Hat Fortress 2: America's #1 War-themed Hat Simulator

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

Best class(es) to play as?

• Total voters

Thiletonomics

SPOOPY RICE
kiwifarms.net
Everyone who plays TF2 has been playing forever.

The game has arguably the worst new player experience out of all video games ever created, no real community to speak of, gigantic unfixed glaring issues, and is basically dead. There's no fucking chance that new players are suddenly going to flock to TF2, leaving only the "old players" as the community.

How does the new player experience compare to Valve's other flagship game, DOTA 2? The skill floor in that game is a lot higher.

Beelzebub's Gate

an hero
kiwifarms.net
I've met a lot of new players in the community servers and they said they were drawn to the game because of the media that has been produced for it. Like the GMOD and SFM videos, no doubt they're likely kids but they're interested in having fun their own way. Which I think TF2 does really well with the plethora of gamemodes that are and are not vanilla. What I'm saying is you likely won't meet as many new players on the casual community or valve servers than you would on an achievement or trade server.

ABE LINN COHN

Murdered by the COMMUNIST GANGSTER COMPUTER GOD
kiwifarms.net
Anyone got any good regular servers? I have just wrote off playing creators.tf entirely since it’s full of faggots. I do not want to use matchmaking since it’s just so anti TF2 to me.
I've heard the furry pound is unironically good vanilla tf2

HumanHive

Human Behavior is SPOOKY Behavior
kiwifarms.net
I played a matchmaking game with a work friend the other day and it was hot garbage. Proper TF2 to me is comfy 2fort, not “approach cart, get sniper instantly, respawn”. Just not fun, don’t know how anyone can stand it but tryhards.

iceteayo

kiwifarms.net
I played a matchmaking game with a work friend the other day and it was hot garbage. Proper TF2 to me is comfy 2fort, not “approach cart, get sniper instantly, respawn”. Just not fun, don’t know how anyone can stand it but tryhards.
Thats my other problem even when I played TF2 classic gamers on average are just better nowadays so you will never "ever" get that classic feel since in 2008 being good a video game was nerd shit now its not so everyone and their mother wants to be a pubstomp god.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
How does the new player experience compare to Valve's other flagship game, DOTA 2? The skill floor in that game is a lot higher.
DOTA2 has a dedicated tutorial mode that does a decent job of explaining game mechanics, character roles, and so on. There's a newbie pool (with limited heroes) and MMR ratings that curb players being matched against players who are entirely better. It could be improved, but a new player will get eased into DOTA2 compared to a new player just getting thrown to the wolves in TF2. DOTA2 casual and DOTA2 serious/ranked/matching making whatever are the same game as well - compared to TF2s Casual 12v12 hijinx to the 6v6 Competitive format, which means that a DOTA2 newbie playing in casual mode will still be increasing his skill level - where as the TF2 casual skills don't translate as well.

The main issue is that TF2 has a lot of variant items that can change the flow of the game - where as most DOTA2 items (which are mainly +stats) and heroes are straight forward (tanky ones, support ones, magic ones, stealth ones, etc).

DOTA2 doesn't have the best tutorial ever made, but compared to TF2? Night and day.

Smug Chuckler

lul
kiwifarms.net
Things were better back when people only had stock weapons.... yup. *sips monster*

Attachments

• 1625000494648.png
    1625000494648.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 73

Burgerasssand

kiwifarms.net
>create new steam account
>set profile picture to trans flag
>install tf2
>play casual
>only map set is 2fort
>only people who play on 2fort is third worlders and 12 year olds
>shit on everyone as sniper (4k hours)
>spam Trans Rights! after every kill
>12 year old tells me to 41% myself and calls me a tranny
>report them for harassment and flaming
>say nothing in chat
>continue dominating them
>they get banned 30 minutes later
>3 way win
>-1 shitty player
>+1 12 year old now conditioned to hate transpeople
>+1 match win

Last edited:

Lichen Bark

kiwifarms.net
WHAT! you don't want to memorize moves from 100 different characters lol. Each character has 4 moves, thats.........400 moves. I booted up Dota 2 a month agoafter like 9 years gone, and I went through the "new player experience" I had like maybe 70 hours in game. "here are 4 items that heal you in subtle different ways" here are another 8 million items that all do different things. Then I remembered why I don't play Dota. Maybe if I had friends who played I would have incentive.

DOTA2 has a dedicated tutorial mode that does a decent job of explaining game mechanics, character roles, and so on. There's a newbie pool (with limited heroes) and MMR ratings that curb players being matched against players who are entirely better. It could be improved, but a new player will get eased into DOTA2 compared to a new player just getting thrown to the wolves in TF2. DOTA2 casual and DOTA2 serious/ranked/matching making whatever are the same game as well - compared to TF2s Casual 12v12 hijinx to the 6v6 Competitive format, which means that a DOTA2 newbie playing in casual mode will still be increasing his skill level - where as the TF2 casual skills don't translate as well.

The main issue is that TF2 has a lot of variant items that can change the flow of the game - where as most DOTA2 items (which are mainly +stats) and heroes are straight forward (tanky ones, support ones, magic ones, stealth ones, etc).

DOTA2 doesn't have the best tutorial ever made, but compared to TF2? Night and day.
I think the only difference here is I feel like you can get in many more quick rounds in TF2. A lot of TF2 just comes down to "can you aim well?" If you can do this then it's half the battle, and most people probably have played an FPS or two before trying TF2, so I feel like the skill carries over, and you need less training. The fact that stock items are still arguably the best doesn't put the new player at a disadvantage starting out.

When I think about Dota I feel like it would be fun to play, I want to play it, but it just seems so daunting to me. In TF2 you see the same 9 classes, and have multiple opportunities to go 1 v 1 with each in a given match. With dota and the 100 characters I may not see the same character again for a very long time. Also not understanding that I am not allowed to get gold if I am a certain class, kind of sucks
I keep getting called slurs for having a face-melting phlog.
Tell them you have no airblast, and that they need to ponder on what that means.

Thiletonomics

SPOOPY RICE
kiwifarms.net
WHAT! you don't want to memorize moves from 100 different characters lol. Each character has 4 moves, thats.........400 moves. I booted up Dota 2 a month agoafter like 9 years gone, and I went through the "new player experience" I had like maybe 70 hours in game. "here are 4 items that heal you in subtle different ways" here are another 8 million items that all do different things. Then I remembered why I don't play Dota. Maybe if I had friends who played I would have incentive.

I think the only difference here is I feel like you can get in many more quick rounds in TF2. A lot of TF2 just comes down to "can you aim well?" If you can do this then it's half the battle, and most people probably have played an FPS or two before trying TF2, so I feel like the skill carries over, and you need less training. The fact that stock items are still arguably the best doesn't put the new player at a disadvantage starting out.

When I think about Dota I feel like it would be fun to play, I want to play it, but it just seems so daunting to me. In TF2 you see the same 9 classes, and have multiple opportunities to go 1 v 1 with each in a given match. With dota and the 100 characters I may not see the same character again for a very long time. Also not understanding that I am not allowed to get gold if I am a certain class, kind of sucks

The other part that comes to mind regarding the DOTA 2 vs. TF2 comparison, is the frequency and size of balance patches. DOTA's balance patches tend to change a lot to the game, but how big were TF2's balance changes, back when Valve did them for the game?