Team Fortress 2 - Hat Fortress 2: America's #1 War-themed Hat Simulator

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Ongoing DDoS attack. kiwifarms.ru may work better for now.

Best class(es) to play as?

• Total voters

Kane Lives

Peace through power
kiwifarms.net
The other part that comes to mind regarding the DOTA 2 vs. TF2 comparison, is the frequency and size of balance patches. DOTA's balance patches tend to change a lot to the game, but how big were TF2's balance changes, back when Valve did them for the game?
Valve's attempt at balance weren't so much a calculated thing but more "oh lets just change this it cant possibly go wrong". Case in point: the short-lived attempt to "balance" demoman by adding a ramp-up to the sticky before it deals full damage. There was much salt about the change, and Valve reverted it after days of furious protests.

So yeah, functionally non-existent. That said, the game isn't like DOTO where if you didn't keep up with the changes you're basically lost. Stock weapons are still mostly king and variants were almost always sidegrades or actively worse. I'd argue you can pick the game back up easily even if you last played before it went F2P.

Lichen Bark

kiwifarms.net
Thats my other problem even when I played TF2 classic gamers on average are just better nowadays so you will never "ever" get that classic feel since in 2008 being good a video game was nerd shit now its not so everyone and their mother wants to be a pubstomp god.
In my experience the matchmaking system will put you in a match where you topscore and wipe the floor with the other team, so I definitely get this feeling from time to time. It also puts you into matches where you get rolled, and matches where you score in the middle. These days the bots, which are still a problem, will cause severe team imbalances, because matchmaking is building your team using bot stats, and then you kick the 3-4 bots on your team and suddenly you are severely outmatched. If you play during prime time hours though, in my experience I have had all kinds of matches.

The other part that comes to mind regarding the DOTA 2 vs. TF2 comparison, is the frequency and size of balance patches. DOTA's balance patches tend to change a lot to the game, but how big were TF2's balance changes, back when Valve did them for the game?
I miss the WAR! update, that was peak comfy for me. Demoman and Soldier pitted against each other to see who can kill each other the most across servers. The Direct Hit used to minicrit ANY airborne enemy, now that was fun. "Oh you jumped scout? BLAM!" "Demoman did you drop down off that ledge? BLAM!," Oh and the equalizer! Before they ripped it's soul out and made it have a half brother "The escape plan."

I'm torn, on the one hand I don't necessarily have a problem with a new item being better than stock, it gives you something fresh to play with, I would rather other items get slight buffs than make something hit weaker. What was the point of the item update if it is just nerfed into a select niche role? I don't play pyro at all really, but the axe putting burning people out after getting hit? I read about the Dragon's fury pre nerf and it sounds pretty fun, but now it just seems, meh to me. That might have given me a reason to play more pyro /shrug?

Burgerasssand

kiwifarms.net
1626220931393.png

Neko GF

Cozy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Quick question: How often do you encounter bots? Because I rarely encounter them (at least compared to a lot of people). Despite this, I keep getting videos about people constantly getting bot-filled games.

For added context I only play in EU servers.

kūhaku

from the outside looking in
kiwifarms.net
Quick question: How often do you encounter bots? Because I rarely encounter them (at least compared to a lot of people). Despite this, I keep getting videos about people constantly getting bot-filled games.

Don't play a lot of casual anymore, but even just some weeks ago I only ever encountered them once every few games. Some times (late at night, not as many humans playing) it was worse, and it's also worse if you queue for lesser played maps. Generally, when I queue for payload or attack/defend, I don't see all that many.

ThatMushroomGuy

kiwifarms.net

I've just given up on casual, but when I do play for some reason there is usually one or two bots but they do get kicked somewhat quickly. Ctf, Koth, and the jungle contract maps (Mercenary Park, Banana Bay, Mossrock) are just bot hell from my experience. I don't know what it is for the other gamemodes, but I heard it's less hellish for other gamemodes. I only play on US servers.

Mecha-Jerkop

"Anti-Srema... Anti-Sema... Anti-Semantic."
kiwifarms.net
I've just given up on casual, but when I do play for some reason there is usually one or two bots but they do get kicked somewhat quickly. Ctf, Koth, and the jungle contract maps (Mercenary Park, Banana Bay, Mossrock) are just bot hell from my experience. I don't know what it is for the other gamemodes, but I heard it's less hellish for other gamemodes. I only play on US servers.
I tend to stick to Payload and Control Point maps to avoid the bots, rarely get them on EU servers. Mostly play offline with bots now, can hardly tell a difference between them and the average casual match

Smug Chuckler

lul
kiwifarms.net
I remember the last time I played, bots would start to impersonate the non-bots and begin to votekick them, the only way to prevent this was to votekick them before they fully connect to the game. You had to constantly pay attention to the game chat to see if they would do it to you. Sometimes they would just flood the game at once to make it hard to do so. It's just better playing on an unofficial server with admins that do the kicking.

JohnnyOnionRings

kiwifarms.net
Bots have been a huge problem in EU since at least January 2020 in my experience. It got so bad this year that I straight up just uninstalled the game because it wasn't enough to have a handful of third-party servers on hand, because they're usually playing maps I don't like.

Fuck It We'll Do It Live

Fucking Thing Sucks!
kiwifarms.net
Reminder that TF2 Classic is a thing.

Runs better, no cosmetics, has a handful of new weapons based on cut concepts for the game that are relatively balanced, and has VIP mode.

Definitive version of TF2 in my opinion.

EDIT: Oh shit, and it's its one year anniversary as well!
I'm glad there are no more fucking demoknights polluting the game (as a medic I hate having kritz only to find all the demomen on the team have some bloody shield equipped) when I play Classic, but it's a shame the broken cuntsman was still considered a balanced weapon to be included with its huge hitbox; I guess it is a c. 2009 weapon after all.

Otherwise, thank you for introducing me to TF2 Classic, I am having a blast so far!

MaoBigDong

你妈妈很胖
kiwifarms.net
I'm at the point where the bots don't even bother me in the game anymore. I have about 4k hours dumped into this game over the course of when it became f2p so dealing with them isn't really that difficult and if there's a huge stack of bots it's just strange farming for 5 or so minutes with a group of buddies. On top of that most of the time when you catch 1 or 2 bots in casual they get kicked almost instantly if solo queue is your thing.

My problem is with the obvious cheater 6 stacks. Idk if rijin, nullcore, lbox, or whatever just became easier to download or what but it seems like lately I get into at least 3 matches each time I play with cheater stacks. People with unusuals flexing that they aren't getting banned despite auto-locking on anything that moves. Even if it's a stack of like 2 or 3 cheaters their team won't kick them unless they're blatantly spinning. I would join alternative servers like uncletopia but I actually like random crits so I keep queueing casual.

Also nearly all of the new cosmetics and unusual effects are ass. I feel like valve is just trying to bury this game's economy so people will move on.

WULULULULU

We call this a difficulty tweak!
kiwifarms.net
I'm at the point where the bots don't even bother me in the game anymore. I have about 4k hours dumped into this game over the course of when it became f2p so dealing with them isn't really that difficult and if there's a huge stack of bots it's just strange farming for 5 or so minutes with a group of buddies. On top of that most of the time when you catch 1 or 2 bots in casual they get kicked almost instantly if solo queue is your thing.

My problem is with the obvious cheater 6 stacks. Idk if rijin, nullcore, lbox, or whatever just became easier to download or what but it seems like lately I get into at least 3 matches each time I play with cheater stacks. People with unusuals flexing that they aren't getting banned despite auto-locking on anything that moves. Even if it's a stack of like 2 or 3 cheaters their team won't kick them unless they're blatantly spinning. I would join alternative servers like uncletopia but I actually like random crits so I keep queueing casual.

Also nearly all of the new cosmetics and unusual effects are ass. I feel like valve is just trying to bury this game's economy so people will move on.
Quite frankly, even clocking at around 500 hours I have started to notice glaring flaws with the game not just with bots, hence why I quit this game along side WoT on unironically the same week.

- Source Code: Best said by youtuber shounic with his videos. The Source Engine has been a great engine before but nowadays it has become so dogshit in optimization and basic functions that it handles like ass on both new and old systems. Unhelped by Valve just constantly adding cosmetics and maps without care of checking of the code would even be more alienated than before.
- Weapon Balance: Beyond having a ton of weapons being so fucking useless (i.e Righteous Bison), some are straight up upgrades, like the Ubersaw and Diamondback that smart players will abuse the shit out of and creating a boring ass "meta" that te game unnecessarily needed. Jungle Inferno showed Valve has not learned a thing or two as most of the weapons introduced are ass balanced wise.
- Cosmetics, lootboxes and the art style. Perhaps why I bothered quitting TF2, cosmetics have become Valve's main M.O, ignoring all forms of other feedback in addition of supplying endless lootboxes (no I do not care if it's strange or shit, let these cosmetics be earned in-game) to the point of conditioning the remaining players that spending it on virtual gambling is acceptable. The art style has also been gutted to the point of adding ridiculous shit not restricted to Halloween or whatever, with the idea that shoving as many cosmetics as one can think of to satisfy everyone and eventually piss off everyone. Also, what about unobtainable content?
- Broken Gamemodes: PASS Time, Robot Destruction, Territorial Control, Arena, Payload Race, Player Destruction, Special Delivery, Mannpower, Highlander and even fucking Competitive. All either broken, unfinished or unused by the community. If used correctly, can be used to make TF2 beyond control points and intelligence cases but nah, just leave it there.
- F2P: Locking F2Ps, from storage to chat functions by forcing them to use the Mann Co. Store was a spit to the face. The game should have been pay to play instead of that was the case.
- Unfinished shit: Ever remember Cactus Canyon or perhaps Snowplow? Yeah me neither because Valve barely gave a rats ass about the state of those maps even after 14 years.
- Offline Bot functionality: Offline bots are a fucking joke that you'd have to rely not on one but two bot mods to make offline play in TF2 fun and even then it can be buggy and demanding for older GPUs.
- MvM: It was great but could use a ton of new content from maybe just 4 more maps and new bot variations.
- Training: Still shit. (I also found out Valve added a Training Ground for DOTA2 but is barebones compared to the community's training so kudos for being dogshit. Enjoy our 150$ battlepass you paypigs).
- And many more I could barely mention.

TF2 used to be great, and it could be so much more if you've seen community output like the Mayann or Frontline content and even Team Comptress 2, we could even officialize Freak Fortress 2 into the game but instead Valve just sits on top of their golden horde of money and says no. The VAC and bots only exacerbate the issues and shows the skeleton state of the game. Why bother supporting a game that does not even respect your time and has a ton of issues unresolved by an unresponsive "developer" team?

WULULULULU

We call this a difficulty tweak!
kiwifarms.net
Christ almighty the bot situation has gone worse. Community and Casual servers are inflated with DDOS/Lag-bots. These bots can enter and brick an entire server full of players while being operational still. Few videos have come around with this and it turns out the Asia server for TF2 got shafted early with these bots, now its infesting other servers as well.

It is clear that this problem can no longer be ignored even in community servers.