Tech you miss/ new tech trends you hate - ok boomers

Kenobi

kiwifarms.net
I miss windows phone. I might be the only person in the entire world that loved windows phone but goddamn it was good.

Lumia 950 was shit tough

Consoles that actually had functional and easy uis. No xbox one i dont want to go trough 55 menus to access acess storage i want it right here. I dont want movies or netflix and other crap i just wanna play my games. The xbox one ui was designed by a retarded codemonkey.
--------------------------

Headphones that force you to use a fucking app to connect to your phone, looking at you bose quietcomfort 2 and sony whmx3.

The Last Stand

I need more gin.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To be fair, Nokias were known for their reliability and toughness. I'm glad they kept that standard for the Lumias.

Windows Phone were handy for achievements if you had an Xbox. Some games on the Windows app had achievements which I liked. But overall, the UI was clunky, apps weren't supported and the hardware was weak.

You mentioned Xbox One's UI being crap, which was inspired by Windows 8. Touch screen, it's okay. Anything else, it was horrible.

I'm not crazy with having tech companies replace plugs and connecters (micro-USB, USB-C, mini-USB). Apple especially, since they break easily and expensive to replace.

Lady Crysania

kiwifarms.net
I preferred it when consoles didn't need a fucking UI, you just turned it on and the most annoying shit you had to worry about where the opening credits.

I really hate the way sites are laid out now. They try to make shit look "Modern" by having everything be a graphic or have an animation when you click something instead of just being a simple hyperlink with maybe an icon or something.

Justtocheck

kiwifarms.net
I hate the fact that I cannot bootleg any more ps2 games in my shitty 3rd world country. Even as a kid, I unconciously liked giving the middle finger to the studios and game creators since it is their greed and desire-to-not share that is undermining the future utopia of communism I deeply desire as the true pinko I am.

RA-5C Vigilante

Alone, Unarmed, Unafraid.
kiwifarms.net
The whole "Nothing needs to last, just replace it in a few years" design method irks me on a more meta level.

Also I work in a "nothing can listen or track you for security reasons" building, which means I can't have earbuds without a microphone built-in. Turns out finding the Ark of the Covenant is easier than getting ones without that shit nowadays!

I miss flip phones and slider phones. Seriously thought they were the coolest shit to have in highschool.
Dude, I would murder someone for a good old fashioned BlackBerry. Just the front with a giant keyboard.

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
I miss flip phones and slider phones. Seriously thought they were the coolest shit to have in highschool.
I stuck with one until like 2013 or 2014 and loved the long battery life and relatively simple operation. The "smart phone" I upgraded to after that was slower in a lot of ways.

The Moto Razr looks like the most promising return for "modern" flip phones IMO. Apparently they designed it specifically to still have a satisfying feeling when closing it to hang up a call.

Tech trend I hate: Infantile or """funny""" error messages. "Woopsie doopsie, the program made a boo-boo!", "The gerbils running our server are struggling to keep up! Try again in a minute."

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
I like VHS tapes. I don't even know why, their picture quality has long been outclassed by better formats and they seem easier to degrade than DVDs. I just find something nostalgic about popping in some mid 90s movie and sitting back and enjoying the fuzzy picture quality. I can't really describe the feeling, it's just nice and it's something you can't emulate with a DVD. Not ideal for purist movie-watching experiences, but it helps evoke a certain mood and that's why I like it.

Best part is that VHS tapes are ridiculously cheap. I went thrifting one day and one store had a deal where you bought like 8 tapes for $5 (or something, I can't remember the exact deal but it was insanely cheap).

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Analogue advertising signage with neon and moving parts at major intersections in giant metropolises such as London's Piccadilly Circus.

These days, Piccadilly Circus just resembles a few giant smartphone screens clustered together.

Kenobi

kiwifarms.net
Another techtrend i hate in both games and other software is the crackdown in speech. If i want to call my teammate a kneegrow or a kike i should be able to do that and if they cant handle it tuff tatas use the mute button.

The Moto Razr looks like the most promising return for "modern" flip phones IMO. Apparently they designed it specifically to still have a satisfying feeling when closing it to hang up a call.
Isnt it supposed to have really shitty battery life also holy shit the cost 1500 dollars for a phone?
Thats another shitty tech trend smartphones that cost more then a 1k dollars that do nothing special.

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
Isnt it supposed to have really shitty battery life also holy shit the cost 1500 dollars for a phone?
Thats another shitty tech trend smartphones that cost more then a 1k dollars that do nothing special.
Well, it's "promising" in the sense that other folding phones launched and were broken right off the bat. Razr is also the first vertical folding phone - the rest fold out to become tablets. If anything, it's proving the tech works and could be adapted (and made cheaper) later down the line. $1500 is absurd, but I think it was more of a glorified proof of concept that got legs and saw production runs after there was interest.

REGENDarySumanai

Poopie
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I miss Minidisc.
Could have caught on big.

I hate Apple and all their unavoidable proprietary bullshit.
The worst thing about Apple and their unavoidable proprietary bullshit is that every other company follows them in their steps. The moment Apple decides to make proprietary storage cards ala Playstation Vita, I'm clocking out forever.
The whole "Nothing needs to last, just replace it in a few years" design method irks me on a more meta level.
This shit also pisses me off. I'm not a fountain of money in the first place, and repairing an object is cheaper in the long run compared to dropping money on a new smart phone every other year.
IoT devices. Stop making a mobile application for everything in the house, they dont need it.
I go zero to nuclear real fast when it comes to IoT devices. I don't need every object I own to be able to connect to the Internet, I don't want five million things crammed on my network so everything else suffers because of it, and security is a foreign concept on those objects. Most (if not all) IoT devices use an older Linux kernel and you'd think that the manufacturer's would be bothered to harden the kernel to a sufficient degree, but that's also a foreign concept.
Non-removable batteries in smartphones are pretty far up on the "I hate this shit"-ometer
While I've never dealt with this, I already hate it due to the fact that replacing a battery is pretty easy (on Android devices, don't get me started on iPhones) and inexpensive. Refer to what I said previously about repairing an object.

MuuMuu Bunnylips

"I'm not angry, just very disappointed."
kiwifarms.net
I hate the fact that I cannot bootleg any more ps2 games in my shitty 3rd world country. Even as a kid, I unconciously liked giving the middle finger to the studios and game creators since it is their greed and desire-to-not share that is undermining the future utopia of communism I deeply desire as the true pinko I am.
There's emulators, and I know at least one site thst has .isos.

Tags
None