Tech you miss/ new tech trends you hate - ok boomers

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
I miss simpler software that just needed the compiler and the basic libraries (libc etc.) and maybe one big and commonly used library if it was really complex or did something special like multimedia.
Hell, these days every language has to come with its own package manager.
Fuck letting you use a package manager you know and trust, I got dozens of barely tested bleeding edge libraries I have to include in my project

cjöcker

Against all the evil that Hell can conjure.
kiwifarms.net
Hell, these days every language has to come with its own package manager.
Fuck letting you use a package manager you know and trust, I got dozens of barely tested bleeding edge libraries I have to include in my project
you could always write C and C++ where this isn't an issue because there is no package manager ;)

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Multi factor authentication has gone berserk in the last few years. Shit that didn't need it has it and shit that does need it has a massively unnecessary two or three layers of it.

And while I'm at it fuck recaptcha too. Get better security instead of making the experience suck for the end user.

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I begrudge having to give google.com and gstatic.com any JavaScript permissions at all just to make some unrelated website work because it randomly thinks that it needs to know that it is communicating with a sufficiently advanced entity that has mastered the art of recognizing traffic lights and buses, which as we all know is indistinguishable from magic. Fuck that.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
If I ever meet anyone and they admit they had anything to do with that shit I'm straight up murdering them.
Another level of hell is the "type these words" and it's in cyrillic or another alphabet where none of the letters exist on your physical keyboard. On-screen keyboard to the rescue but where could "Ѯ" be located... blyat, it took so long that it had timed out when submitting it so I have to do it again.

Cyrillic, Icelandic or latin alphabets with weird diacritics is doable. It could be worse.
chinese_captcha.jpg

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
This trend I hate sort of is and sort of isn't a tech trend (it's got touch screens so it kinda counts as tech).

I had to go to a Royal Bank of Canada location for some business where I needed to see a teller and I went to a location that wasn't my local branch since I had an appointment nearby anyway. It seems like the RBC I'd visited had recently been reorganized into an "open concept" location where there is no long counter behind which the tellers sit like in a traditional bank but, instead, there are just touch screens and the card reader on kind of a small pedestal, around which both you and the teller stand.

I don't know about you guys but I feel super awkward standing at the pedestal only inches away from the teller. I prefer the physical separation between teller and client that the old bank counters afforded since it feels like a formal way to conduct formal business.

ColdOnes

kiwifarms.net
I hate how Whatsapp has dominated the messaging app market outside the US. It seems like the only VoIP messaging app that everyone uses. I want to uninstall it but my family is insistent I keep it because they refuse to move to Signal.

• Feels
Reactions: A Weddell Seal

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
no, not like, with the big band across the top like normal cans, I mean they just clipped on to the ear itself
like that
so I guess they still make them lol

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sasazuka

Megatorg

kiwifarms.net
What really grinds my gears the last few days is dependency hell in linux and how seemingly simple programs need a dozen libraries to run correctly. What an complete and utter mess. On top of that, gentoo's package maintainers get lazier and lazier and just throw all dependencies in, without use-flag configuration even sometimes including really really optional stuff as hard dependency. I miss simpler software that just needed the compiler and the basic libraries (libc etc.) and maybe one big and commonly used library if it was really complex or did something special like multimedia. I like to imagine that more modern software offers added value but I use old computers hobbywise a lot and often.. not really.
I agree. All these dependencies in FOSS has made compiling anything a fucking chore. Seriously, how hard is it for these devs to integrate the packages directly into the software itself?

Travis Touchdown Cumsock

What an absolute travesty.
kiwifarms.net
I miss memory cards. Having swappable, dedicated save file storage was such a damn convenience. They were easily portable too.

Now it's a royal bitch to have to format an external hard drive to store things on, or to have to uninstall games for more save space...urgh. Memory cards were perfect in their simplicity and I see no reason why they should have ever been done away with.

Why do new consoles have to be bloated with a bunch of useless features not related to playing video games anyway? What happened to. Putting in a game. Turning the console on. And playing the fucking game. Why do we need to install shit that is on the disc/game card/whatever.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What happened to. Putting in a game. Turning the console on. And playing the fucking game. Why do we need to install shit that is on the disc/game card/whatever.
This.

Also I don't like motion or touchs controls in vidya. When Wii/DS made them "normal," it was annoying. I like normal controllers.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Motion and touch controls are okay if they offer button alternatives. And when it's actually fun.
Really annoying controls are controlling a plane by holding a Wii remote or the ninja/nunchuck/whatever attachment like a joystick. Especially if there's a shitty connection of the latter to the Wii remote. Also the Wii remote was a stupid idea to begin with.

(I'm glad I figured out using an old GBA adapter in the battery slot. as it guzzled batteries like a chain smoker through cigs.)

Travis Touchdown Cumsock

What an absolute travesty.
kiwifarms.net
Really annoying controls are controlling a plane by holding a Wii remote or the ninja/nunchuck/whatever attachment like a joystick. Especially if there's a shitty connection of the latter to the Wii remote. Also the Wii remote was a stupid idea to begin with.

(I'm glad I figured out using an old GBA adapter in the battery slot. as it guzzled batteries like a chain smoker through cigs.)
The Wii is a weird, gimmicky console in general and I passed on it until it became very cheap on the secondary market. Nintendo loves their weird science experiments, at least I enjoy the gimmicks of the Switch despite its sad, sad battery life and horrendous ergonomics without third party attachments. Seriously, I could not believe how awkward the Switch was, going from a 3DS. It's got a fantastic, fantastic library of games but the console itself is not amazing...

• Informative
Reactions: ToroidalBoat
Tags
None