Tech you miss/ new tech trends you hate - ok boomers

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Ugh I hate it so much
every new tv seems to have a huge lag to every user input- changnig channels, even changing volume, there's a noticable lag between pressing a remote button and actually happening. This really ruins user experience for me. And I dont even use the "smart" feautres, like youtube app or whatever, as those are even worse to use
They use some shitty proprietary gimped Linux, it seems. For instance, Samsung uses some shit called Tizen. I'm not sure exactly what they did to make it so absolutely pathetic, slow and unresponsive or why they don't fix it.

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In my personal experience the only half decent smart TV OS is the one in LG TVs.

Or maybe I'm just biased towards OS mascots
Have heard the same.

Really with any of this garbage, unless you can get an Android-powered one from a manufacturer that might continue to update the software over time like Sony, you're better off getting a no-name Android HDMI stick with a reasonably gutsy processor and plugging that into the side of a 'dumb' one that starts up faster.

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fuck motorcycles, fire hydrants, traffic signals, vehicles, cars, buses, mountains or hills, bridges, and crosswalks.
I feel guilty every time I do one of those because I know that I'm helping an AI become just a little bit more sentient. It's crowdfunding the surveillance state. You're teaching a system how to recognize those objects.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I feel guilty every time I do one of those because I know that I'm helping an AI become just a little bit more sentient. It's crowdfunding the surveillance state. You're teaching a system how to recognize those objects.
There should be a class action with hundreds of millions of people suing for minimum wage for the time spent on that shit.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I feel guilty every time I do one of those because I know that I'm helping an AI become just a little bit more sentient.
A tech trend I keep hearing about is talk of how AI -- "the last and greatest invention ever" -- is going to somehow miraculously make this dumpster fire of a world a better place. Some even think people will be able to "mind upload" and live a fake "afterlife" in a Matrix-like "virtual reality"* -- run by AI.

Sounds like the Tower of Babel to me.

*(imagine being stuck in a video game forever)

gangweedfan

kiwifarms.net
Fuck motorcycles, fire hydrants, traffic signals, vehicles, cars, buses, mountains or hills, bridges, and crosswalks.
I feel like what companies think AI is isnt at all what sci-fi wtiters had in mind. you cant create a person if they are designed from the ground up as a tool. that said If fire hydrants and crosswalks ever somehow gain sentience google has the perfect weapon.

tech trends I miss: portable game consoles like the 3ds and vita that have a bunch of weird extra features that suck but you cant help but love

tech trends I hate: gaming consoles havent really felt unique since the ps3

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
A tech trend I keep hearing about is talk of how AI -- "the last and greatest invention ever" -- is going to somehow miraculously make this dumpster fire of a world a better place. Some even think people will be able to "mind upload" and live a fake "afterlife" in a Matrix-like "virtual reality"* -- run by AI.

Sounds like the Tower of Babel to me.

*(imagine being stuck in a video game forever)
I would if I could. A consequence free digital paradise sounds like fun. The problem with AI I see is that people will become too reliant on it to analyse data to the point where it won't get questioned. AI is all well and good if you want a bunch of data analysed but when it comes to making actual decisions that affect actual people, a human should be involved. I think as AI takes over things like manufacturing governments will be forced to reconsider exactly how the economy works and do real studies on the viability of universal basic income, proxy payments and automation tax.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I would if I could. A consequence free digital paradise sounds like fun.
I used to think that way until I realized it would really be just a fake simulation, and assholes in power -- or the AI they run -- could have complete control over you. Zoltan Istvan, who proposed the idea of a "VR afterlife" IIRC, even said you'd have to give up "some" control as "payment" for joining such a system. You could be controlled in ways you're unaware of* in a "digital paradise." People -- or AI -- running the show could also make you suffer a digital hell. For example, one where 1 second IRL is like 1000 years in the simulation, or other digital horrors.

The problem with AI I see is that people will become too reliant on it to analyse data to the point where it won't get questioned.
Reminds me of this 19th century story called "The Machine Stops."

*(New Brain Computer interface technology | Steve Hoffman)

Last edited:

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
I used to think that way until I realized it would really be just a fake simulation, and assholes in power -- or the AI they run -- could have complete control over you. Zoltan Istvan, who proposed the idea of a "VR afterlife" IIRC, even said you'd have to give up "some" control as "payment" for joining such a system. You could be controlled in ways you're unaware of* in a "digital paradise." People -- or AI -- running the show could also make you suffer a digital hell. For example, one where 1 second IRL is like 1000 years in the simulation, or other digital horrors.

You could argue that in the event that the upload happens close to or at the moment of your natural death then as your digital afterlife is very much a service provided to you by a company which extends your existence beyond its natural end then some level of control is acceptable as a method of payment.

gangweedfan

kiwifarms.net

just posting this lol

Reactions: ToroidalBoat

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I used to think that way until I realized it would really be just a fake simulation, and assholes in power -- or the AI they run -- could have complete control over you. Zoltan Istvan, who proposed the idea of a "VR afterlife" IIRC, even said you'd have to give up "some" control as "payment" for joining such a system.
If the underlying assumptions are correct that would allow such a thing even to exist, free will is illusory anyway. Also, presumably, if there were a multitude of possible simulations available, you'd tend to choose the one that best satisfied your preferences. The issue is if one of them decided to just change your preferences. Whether a superintelligent AI, presumably with built-in motivations to increase happiness, would feel it ethical to do this is interesting, but if we ever reach that stage, we'd be more or less at its mercy anyway.

Last edited:

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
some level of control is acceptable as a method of payment
Well to me it isn't. Call me a Luddite, but I'd rather cease to exist than submit to corporations -- who help make the modern world the miserable place it is -- to take care of my mind in a fake "afterlife" of their invention, not to mention the risks.

Also I don't want to be a computer.

if we ever reach that stage, we'd be more or less at its mercy anyway
I hope we don't reach that point. I think it's better to have (lack of) free will than to let it be controlled by technocrats.

Last edited:

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You could argue that in the event that the upload happens close to or at the moment of your natural death then as your digital afterlife is very much a service provided to you by a company which extends your existence beyond its natural end then some level of control is acceptable as a method of payment.
I always just think of the Phillip K Dick short story where the protagonist slowly realises he’s living in a simulation and the reason he‘s there is because it’s a corporation harvesting recently dead people’s brains since it’s more cost efficient to test out marketing in a simulation.

Also there’s this.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I never saw the appeal of mobile "gaming." You play on a tiny plastic rectangle your hands cover all the time because there's only touchscreen controls. And of course there's all the BS with "microtransactions," "DLC," and over-reliance on the internet.
I use my phone for emulating stuff. Obviously action doesn't work for touchscreen but turn based stuff works fine.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
>been checking Craigslist daily for close to a month looking for a CRT
>never anything good
>even considering buying one on eBay for an exorbitant amount of money
>got busy. forgot about it for a few days
>just checked
>32" flat screen Trinitron, free
>listed three days ago
>immediately text
>it's gone

God hates me.
Fucking trinitrons. I had a 34" Wega and when I moved around 10 years ago I put up an ad that explicitly said that I was selling it for $50(maybe it was a hundo?) but it was free if I didn't have to lift it or get involved in any way. A reasonable price that could be lowered to nothing, it was a clever ruse.

It was a good TV, I think it could do 1080i or at least 720p because I remember playing Dead Rising 1 on it and reading text wasn't a problem, but it weighed 200lbs which isn't unreasonable to lift for two people, but the weight distribution is wonky, it's very front heavy and it's so fucking sharp on the bottom where you have to grab it. And the insane depth of it meant that it took up as much space as a washing machine. Placing it so it truncated a corner of the living room was the only sane way it could fit without wasting a ton of space.

I understand why you would want one but there's an agony and ecstasy in having one.

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
Fucking trinitrons. I had a 34" Wega and when I moved around 10 years ago I put up an ad that explicitly said that I was selling it for $50(maybe it was a hundo?) but it was free if I didn't have to lift it or get involved in any way. A reasonable price that could be lowered to nothing, it was a clever ruse.

It was a good TV, I think it could do 1080i or at least 720p because I remember playing Dead Rising 1 on it and reading text wasn't a problem, but it weighed 200lbs which isn't unreasonable to lift for two people, but the weight distribution is wonky, it's very front heavy and it's so fucking sharp on the bottom where you have to grab it. And the insane depth of it meant that it took up as much space as a washing machine. Placing it so it truncated a corner of the living room was the only sane way it could fit without wasting a ton of space.

I understand why you would want one but there's an agony and ecstasy in having one.
I can share this pain. I'm desperate for a CRT because my collection of light gun games doesn't work without one.

• Feels
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole
Tags
None