Tech you miss/ new tech trends you hate - ok boomers

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nothing, really. I'm one of those techies that embrace all advancements.

I guess I'm bored with how easy it is now. Everything I used to do, I can do on my PC. I used to find joy in building up my burned games collection, and my XBMC streaming collection. And when my parents would buy me the odd cartridge games before that when I was a kid. Now I just sit on my ass and have everything, and can take it wherever I want.
That phenomenon has really taken a lot of the magic out of it for me.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
That phenomenon has really taken a lot of the magic out of it for me.
Looking for open FTPs with 0day releases on it before a sysadmin noticed that there were a lot of outgoing traffic on their network had its charm. Then there were rips of games where groups competed in slimming a game down to a certain size and be the first to release it, Rune is a game that I remember because the ripped version ran better and used less memory while looking identical to the retail release.

Reactions: Synthetic Smug

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
Why the fuck did google wave fail? It was all the useful parts from modern slack clones (Discord, Matrix, MS Teams) but was based off of email so every topic was nicely segmented and not in a huge pile you had to sift through.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Why the fuck did google wave fail? It was all the useful parts from modern slack clones (Discord, Matrix, MS Teams) but was based off of email so every topic was nicely segmented and not in a huge pile you had to sift through.
Maybe it was just Google fatigue from all the shitty things Google was spamming out at the time, almost all of which were useless crap nobody wanted.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
An annoying new trend I've noticed are these new ugly windowless vans with high roofs that companies use for work. Amazon Prime uses them all the time. I call it the "Current Year" design.

Reactions: Pissmaster

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Interested to see 'Neighbourly' join that list. I gather this is some kind of subpar NextDoor competitor. They say it's been killed because it 'didn't take off', but I have to wonder if it was simply that they wanted to avoid the sort of bad PR people discussing outsiders to their neighborhoods has caused for NextDoor, especially following the brutal murder of the defenseless jogger by those two redneck racists.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
to be contrarian to the thread purpose I don't miss old light bulbs
I actually had to change a light bulb today for the first time in probably a year

stupidpieceofshit

Halloween in January is better.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
An annoying new trend I've noticed are these new ugly windowless vans with high roofs that companies use for work. Amazon Prime uses them all the time. I call it the "Current Year" design.
Its not a new design, the Ford Transit was mostly in Europe until 2014 when Ford started to sell them in North America.
Granted I think they are ugly too.

Interested to see 'Neighbourly' join that list. I gather this is some kind of subpar NextDoor competitor. They say it's been killed because it 'didn't take off', but I have to wonder if it was simply that they wanted to avoid the sort of bad PR people discussing outsiders to their neighborhoods has caused for NextDoor, especially following the brutal murder of the defenseless jogger by those two redneck racists.
It was either Neighborly or Nextdoor not sure which that send out junk mail saying "Hey neighbor join us we are from your neighborhood blah blah blah" the thing is the return address they used (which was from a near by address) was for (and even had the name of ) the pre school turn international student dorm for the school district.

MrJokerRager

I like me some nice big boobs
kiwifarms.net
I would say Windows 7 for sure and Windows XP.

Will miss the pinball game it had.

Will miss old school trackballbmouses.

Will miss the fat box crt monitors.

Will miss using bittorrent, the Piratebay, utorrent, dvdrips as now I just pay for it.

Will miss the old school look of many websites before they were optimized for smartphones.

Will miss DVD players, floppy disks and dumb tvs.

Kheapathic

Good boy go to Heaven, bad boy go to New Jersey
kiwifarms.net
I'm a boomer who still has an optical drive in his rig. Main point being I rent/borrow a lot of things and rip them assist in providing a legal backup copy for the rightful owner. I get shit from all my "the future is wireless" types; right up until the area's internet goes down and all their Netflix/Hulu/Disney+ stuff doesn't work. Then suddenly I'm a popular guy because I can still watch shit.

As an aside, I also found it frustrating that when you buy a physical copy of a PC game; yeah, I get you're really buying a key, but Blizzard also gave a physical DVD-ROM with the game on it. But for some reason, going to Battle.net and downloading the files (after inputting a key) is faster than copying it from the physical disc you provided.

Reactions: XYZpdq

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Everything going wireless. It's good for convenience. But bad for latency.

I don't know why but setting printer's up wirelessly can be a struggle. Either the printer won't recognize the wireless device or you'd need to install an application.
Large format printers at least have enough of a (touch) screen and buttons to choose the AP and type in the password(or in the past, a vendor specific wifi dongle that was a pain in the ass).
Home printers with the tiny ass screens and maybe two buttons used to scroll through a list to enter "ieX8hH29!=nMaac?jc" is a nightmare, entering three letters for your name on an arcade machine sucked enough in the past. There are other ways to do it but I refuse, if anyone asks me to help with a home printer I tell them my GRIDS is flaring up.

The most I will do is give them a .bat-file to place on the desktop. If there's any problems, press that one until problem resolves itself (it restarts the print spooler, the glowing lizardman of Windows systems. I once thought the group policy had been fucked with but nah, it was the print spooler on the server that fucked itself up in such a way that it denied people access to their network shares, I do not understand how that is even possible).

• Feels
Reactions: Kiwi Lime Pie

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
I don't know why but setting printer's up wirelessly can be a struggle. Either the printer won't recognize the wireless device or you'd need to install an application.
Yeah some want you to ad-hoc connect to the goddamned printer on its own fucking network, others behave like a normal network printer.
HP is a shit company, but there will never be a more reliable printer than the old beige hp laser printers...but nope motherfuckers gotta get WiFi on their printer instead of Ethernet.
How often does your goddamned printer move around?
Does it get bored and go for a fucking walk between print jobs?

I'm a boomer who still has an optical drive in his rig. Main point being I rent/borrow a lot of things and rip them assist in providing a legal backup copy for the rightful owner.
Pretty much everyone I know or met in the past 5 years that still has a CD/DVD/BD burner in their PC says the same sort of thing,

occasionally when I get a weekend off and get bored enough to go to the local swap meet/flea market, I see some of those same people at the booth selling bootleg CDs and DVDs and shitty 480p cams of new release movies to the local Mexicans.

Rip in pepperoni bootleg DVD dude, the wu-flu done social distanced that side hustle money right outta your pocket.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I am a very small woman, with small woman hands. I hate phablets and the giant phone trend. Please make iphone4 sized phones again, with thinner backs and as screen flushed to the end. I do not need to worry about dropping my phone. Why are the smallest phones these days still like way larger than that?
I hate that shit. Great, we've spent a century miniaturizing everything just so these assholes can insist on making phones the size of a pizza. Fuck that shit.

Tags
None