Tech you miss/ new tech trends you hate - ok boomers

stupidpieceofshit

Panzer Vor, Motherfuckers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
wat and wat ads

wow that sounds annoying as hell

At least back in the days of NTSC/PAL/etc you could just mute the TV or go do something else during commercial breaks.
Honestly I am hoping it follows the path of HD Radio (aka dead), since it doesn't work with the tuners most box sets you got from the digital switch over and that are in current TVs, you need to buy a new box set/tuner for it, I don't see people wanting to move on.

Reactions: ToroidalBoat

Shayden

The excellence of tiddyness
kiwifarms.net
Tech I miss: Probably CRTs, just because of nostalgia, having less input lag and a high refresh rate and the ever so decreasing modularity of laptops and phones, I understand they cannot ever compete with the full customizablity of desktops but still.

Tech trends I hate: Phones not having a removable battery and the increasing trend of removing as much ports on higher end consumer grade laptops.

stupidpieceofshit

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tech I miss: Probably CRTs, just because of nostalgia, having less input lag and a high refresh rate and the ever so decreasing modularity of laptops
I miss CRTs just because of nostalgia, but the ability to have larger monitors + multiple monitors on one desk outweighs that for me (and well saving my back because CRTs were heavy AF).

As far as laptop it sucks so much that lots of laptops these days use eMMC storage and soldered RAM, at least in the old days you could at least upgrade storage and RAM to give an old laptop a new lease on life.

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
It is the principle of it, and well with how it goes I could easily see at some point it being requiring internet to even get OTA TV service to force people in to being served the ads.
If that was the case they will have issues selling those TV in some regions like in Europe due to the products not being fit for their intended purpose of playing broadcast TV.

stupidpieceofshit

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If that was the case they will have issues selling those TV in some regions like in Europe due to the products not being fit for their intended purpose of playing broadcast TV.
Like they care about Europe only North America, South Korea, and some Central American counties use ATSC.

Also remember Microsoft originally was going to have the Xbox one to be only always online, silicon valley/Redstone and their ilk have a massive habit of smelling their own farts and thinking it must be like where they live everywhere.

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
Like they care about Europe only North America, South Korea, and some Central American counties use ATSC.

Also remember Microsoft originally was going to have the Xbox one to be only always online, silicon valley/Redstone and their ilk have a massive habit of smelling their own farts and thinking it must be like where they live everywhere.
You know that Silcon Valley doesn't make TVs as most TVs are made by East Asian companies.

• Autistic
Reactions: Kenobi

stupidpieceofshit

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know that Silcon Valley doesn't make TVs as most TVs are made by East Asian companies.
I said "..and their ilk" which means people with similar ideas, also it doesn't matter if the TV is made in East Asia, if the TV is for the ATSC market it is going to follow the ATSC standards which is made by the looks of it mostly US businesses / US branches of international businesses.

Sam Losco

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wouldn't they have to pay for the bandwidth they they use.
Yes, but they'd likely get a good deal and there are plenty of ways to minimize the usage. Obviously, compression, but they could download the ad to the TV and then the DTV signal could just trigger which ad to play. The weirdest part is that it would involve the TV mfr doing all this instead of an ad company. But it's doable for sure and if they are set to make enough money from selling the ads, I have no doubt they would do it.

All Tesla's have a cell connection built in. That's how they push out software updates and do whatever data collection they do along with allowing people to turn the car on from their phone and see its location. Probably not a lot of data use per car outside of the software updates, but still. It's a lot of individual devices that Tesla has to pay for a cell connection. IoT.

Edit - Sorry, let me clarify for Tesla. The built in package allows connectivity over Wi-Fi only. But you can upgrade to a "Premium" service for $10 a month that enables the cell connection. So it's there and connected anyway and probably being used for some Tesla shit and you pay extra to be able to use it for internet connection.

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
Yes, but they'd likely get a good deal and there are plenty of ways to minimize the usage. Obviously, compression, but they could download the ad to the TV and then the DTV signal could just trigger which ad to play. The weirdest part is that it would involve the TV mfr doing all this instead of an ad company. But it's doable for sure and if they are set to make enough money from selling the ads, I have no doubt they would do it.

All Tesla's have a cell connection built in. That's how they push out software updates and do whatever data collection they do along with allowing people to turn the car on from their phone and see its location. Probably not a lot of data use per car outside of the software updates, but still. It's a lot of individual devices that Tesla has to pay for a cell connection. IoT.

Edit - Sorry, let me clarify for Tesla. The built in package allows connectivity over Wi-Fi only. But you can upgrade to a "Premium" service for $10 a month that enables the cell connection. So it's there and connected anyway and probably being used for some Tesla shit and you pay extra to be able to use it for internet connection.
It's almost like you're making arguments based on rhetoric and hypoticals rather than posting Quarterly conference calls and patents made by these companies.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Sam Losco
Tags
None