Tech you miss/ new tech trends you hate - ok boomers

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Blue will be perceived as very bright when it's dark.
Can one compensate by making the light dimmer?

almost all malware nowadays is some sort of bank trojan or keylogger, sometimes every now and then you get some ransomware
I hope antivirus and firewall can catch those things.

I also hate how almost every call is a scam call. Seems there's a lot more assholes in Current Year who act more scummy nowadays.

This really is a cyberpunk dystopia.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
They were ugly, they had that delay to turn on, but worst of all, they released toxic mercury into domestic environments if broken, and as a result had to be specially recycled, which you just know many people didn't do. That was just flat out insanity. I have a hunch that it might even have contributed to the rise in the rate of autism over the years, but I need to do more research on this.
CFLs also flicker, here's a photo of one.
mmRhIm.jpg

I know LEDs flicker as well but I don't notice or "feel" it as much.

Tungsten bulbs for photography/film use isn't haram yet. For many years I've fantizied about getting a small studio light in my bedroom and gelling it to early April morning.

• Informative
Reactions: ToroidalBoat

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
This is gonna sound weird, but i missed when the worse malware did was destroy your computer.
But I remember a time you could actually send signals to a dot matrix printer that would get it so hot it could catch paper on fire and burn down your house. Also the taped together black construction paper fax could melt some thermal printers. So far as I know, neither of these actually happened, although some cheap printers were wrecked trying.

• Informative
Reactions: ToroidalBoat

Vecr

"nanoposts with 90° spatial rotational symmetries"
kiwifarms.net
CFLs also flicker, here's a photo of one.
View attachment 1358230

I know LEDs flicker as well but I don't notice or "feel" it as much.

Tungsten bulbs for photography/film use isn't haram yet. For many years I've fantizied about getting a small studio light in my bedroom and gelling it to early April morning.
Good LEDs don't. It's probably a symptom of bad rectification or something like that on the bad ones.

Kiwi Lime Pie

The tasteful summer treat. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
I also hate how almost every call is a scam call.
The worst ones are those that spoof legitimate business/bank numbers or spoof another number that's in the same area code and prefix as your own. for example, someone whose number was 555-555-0001 might receive a spoofed call from 555-555-1234 with the idea that someone is more likely to answer what looks like a local call.

This is gonna sound weird, but i missed when the worse malware did was destroy your computer.
What kind of crap does it do now?

I guess getting private info is one thing it does.
in addition to the aforementioned keylogging and identity theft, a lot of today's malware turns infected computers into a relay for sending spam and/or D-DOS attacks -- most of the time without the user's knowledge. Furthermore, some malware looks for additional computers to infect the same way. Some may look through the Outlook contact list to email contacts links to the malware and others will scan computers in a given IP address range for computers having exploitable vulnerabilities.

It was far more simpler when the worst that happened was data loss or sluggish performance.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The worst ones are those that spoof legitimate business/bank numbers
I still use a landline, so I can't tell where calls come from. So to not be annoyed by daily scam calls, I just have my phone off unless I'm expecting a call. This means the phone is the worst way to get ahold of me, and it's all because of scamming dicks.

I heard that as late as the 1980s, the only calls were legit - no telemarketers and no scammers. Then in the '90s, telemarketing began. By the early '00s, it got so bad that in America, Bush Jr. started the "Do Not Call List". Around then, email scams began, which then spread to the phone. Mow scam calls are endless...

agility_

kiwifarms.net
I'm trying to remember a time when you had a choice (consumer level) of operating system on your brand-new laptop, but as far as I recall it's always been whatever the newest garbage microsoft shits out. Not that I despise windows 10 but it's incredible how they've kept the resources-hogging memory stack-overflow tradition of its fetid lineage.

I miss not having my entire life being tracked by google unless I jump through some hoops first. I also miss physical media but I realize the limitations it brought compared to the convenience of streaming services. DRM is what ruins it for me.

ArnoldPalmer

kiwifarms.net
I know we have a thread on good PC case designs, but lemme tell ya a little fucking something.

All modern computer case designs suck. There was a roughly 8 year period in history where they were actually a decent balance of form and function. 2004-2012. Sure, not all of them were pretty. Almost none had tempered glass. You know what they did have, though? Airflow and drive bays. I know that physical media is going out of style, but people still buy Blu Rays and shit. This tempered glass stuff really looks nice, but it's slowly choking your PC to death.

I mean, fuck, why have a full tower case if you're not even going to use an entire quadrant of it, even factoring in for water cooling? Sometimes I bet I could get better airflow by using the box the case came in, instead of the item itself.

stupidpieceofshit

Halloween in January is better.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know we have a thread on good PC case designs, but lemme tell ya a little fucking something.

All modern computer case designs suck. There was a roughly 8 year period in history where they were actually a decent balance of form and function. 2004-2012. Sure, not all of them were pretty. Almost none had tempered glass. You know what they did have, though? Airflow and drive bays. I know that physical media is going out of style, but people still buy Blu Rays and shit. This tempered glass stuff really looks nice, but it's slowly choking your PC to death.

I mean, fuck, why have a full tower case if you're not even going to use an entire quadrant of it, even factoring in for water cooling? Sometimes I bet I could get better airflow by using the box the case came in, instead of the item itself.
I don't get using tempered glass these days, if it was in the 90s and 00s at least then you could go to LAN parties to show off who you "tricked it out" with color water cooling liquids and other stuff but tempered glass wasn't a thing then, now the only people who get to see it is your self and who ever lives with you.

ArnoldPalmer

kiwifarms.net
I don't get using tempered glass these days, if it was in the 90s and 00s at least then you could go to LAN parties to show off who you "tricked it out" with color water cooling liquids and other stuff but tempered glass wasn't a thing then, now the only people who get to see it is your self and who ever lives with you.
The worst thing about glass is that it's a god damned thermal insulator. It does the opposite of help your temps.

SIGSEGV

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hate Electron and the programs that use it. Fuck you for ignoring GTK_USE_PORTAL and forcing me to use the dogshit GTK file picker. Fuck you for not being a native desktop program that uses the color scheme in my system preferences. Fuck you for enabling lazy developers.

stupidpieceofshit

Halloween in January is better.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I fucking hate the Office Ribbon. I said what I said.
I have mixed feelings on it, I hate how it takes up so much space, but in my IT Support days, it seemed my coworkers who had an office version with the ribbon had less issues finding things then those who had the "legacy" versions of office.

Enoby Way

Trans Alpaca Ranch Queen Domme
kiwifarms.net
I have mixed feelings on it, I hate how it takes up so much space, but in my IT Support days, it seemed my coworkers who had an office version with the ribbon had less issues finding things then those who had the "legacy" versions of office.
Yeah, most people find it easier to navigate, to the point that the Ribbon even won some kind of award for innovation. But for me it is harder to figure out where stuff is. Legacy was the way I learned when I was really young and for some reason it has just stuck with me like glue and I can't unlearn it.

I respect the Ribbon for what it is but I just have a really personal grudge I guess. And yeah it does take up more space that could be better filled with more shortcuts.

Recently switched to LibreOffice, and I have my dropdown menu bar back. It's like Office 2007 onwards never happened. Now that I have some corona shekels I really must go donate something to them.

Foltest

King of Termia and protector of Kfarms
kiwifarms.net
I have been only using onenote for windows 10 for only a few min and I already hate it Why? Because you can't dock it to the desktop. That is such a fucking stupid design choise.

Reactions: Enoby Way

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I hate Electron and the programs that use it. Fuck you for ignoring GTK_USE_PORTAL and forcing me to use the dogshit GTK file picker. Fuck you for not being a native desktop program that uses the color scheme in my system preferences. Fuck you for enabling lazy developers.
Fuck Discord especially. I don't even know how much it's still Electron but I detest it.

• Agree
Reactions: SIGSEGV
Tags
None