Tech you miss/ new tech trends you hate - ok boomers

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
It was before my time, but I miss "retrofuturism" (it's like the look of The Jetsons). To me it's the only "industrial" look with "character" to it - or "glamour" as @Dom Cruise may call it - unlike other "industrial" styles like minimalism or "brutalism".
Along those same line, I miss woodgrain finishes on TVs and computers and game systems and stuff.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Along those same line, I miss woodgrain finishes on TVs and computers and game systems and stuff.
Skeuomorphic design can be very pretty, although it may appeal to oldfags more. Stuff like analog clockfaces, radio dials, steampunk looking stuff, etc. It's kind of a mixed bag, though, because done incorrectly it just confuses people who have never seen the old technology even in movies or other media.

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
I miss paying for software once versus paying a subscription. Office 365 can bite me. I've been using old copies of 2010 and even fucking 2003 and will continue to use them as long as I can get away with it for work purposes.

Also, I really despise just how much CPU's stagnated in the 2010's thanks to Intel. AMD FINALLY got its shit together again with Zen 2 and we are starting to see notable gains/improvements again. (The 2500k/2600k were great milage for your money in hindsight.)

Finally, glad as fuck to see 3200+ RAM speeds become more normalized. That is shit that should have been pushed a decade ago.

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I miss paying for software once versus paying a subscription. Office 365 can bite me. I've been using old copies of 2010 and even fucking 2003 and will continue to use them as long as I can get away with it for work purposes.

Also, I really despise just how much CPU's stagnated in the 2010's thanks to Intel. AMD FINALLY got its shit together again with Zen 2 and we are starting to see notable gains/improvements again. (The 2500k/2600k were great milage for your money in hindsight.)

Finally, glad as fuck to see 3200+ RAM speeds become more normalized. That is shit that should have been pushed a decade ago.
Software-as-service is complete bullshit. It's an excuse to give up on any semblance of quality control, as every member of your customer base has been conscripted into beta testing, and there's no expectation of receiving a finished, working product when your product is never finished. It's an assault on customer property rights and is a return to the bad old days of feudalism where the serf didn't own anything and everything had to be rented from the lord.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Software-as-service is complete bullshit. It's an excuse to give up on any semblance of quality control, as every member of your customer base has been conscripted into beta testing, and there's no expectation of receiving a finished, working product when your product is never finished. It's an assault on customer property rights and is a return to the bad old days of feudalism where the serf didn't own anything and everything had to be rented from the lord.
I will never pay for that shit. It is, quite simply, theft.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
A lot of software had so much bloat stapled on top in it's release intervals just to justify there being a new version usually corporates would take up in bulk in some contracts. I guess some bean counter figured out that there's little competition for a lot of software anyways (especially in business settings which move at glacial speeds in such things) and they can just drop all pretense to actually still expand the software meaningfully and just demand money for doing nothing. By the way, the car industry is experimenting with the same thing now.

Even if you can pirate new versions, you can also try pirating old versions of some programs and find out they actually work better sometimes or gobble up less resources doing exactly the same thing you want it to do. Updates are not always a good or even necessary thing for non-internet facing stuff. It's a difficult habit to break, but I can only recommend to get away from that mindset, especially seeing how shitty a lot of stuff (open or proprietary) becomes because programmers don't know when to stop.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Even if you can pirate new versions, you can also try pirating old versions of some programs and find out they actually work better sometimes or gobble up less resources doing exactly the same thing you want it to do. Updates are not always a good or even necessary thing for non-internet facing stuff. It's a difficult habit to break, but I can only recommend to get away from that mindset, especially seeing how shitty a lot of stuff (open or proprietary) becomes because programmers don't know when to stop.
Especially if you interact with boomer-filled entities like courts, they often primarily use really, really old versions of Microsoft Word, as one example. I remember one court that even still used WordPerfect in fucking 2010 (and yes it was in Utah).

I also kind of miss, and I shouldn't, quarter inch reel to reel tapes. This was a horrible, inconvenient format, would sometimes fuck up and spew immense amounts of tape on the floor and require literally spending hours to clean it up, but I had a monopoly on dealing with it that made me a lot of money at one point just because nobody else could or would deal with it at all.

Sometimes I'm nostalgic for things that are objectively shit and nobody should reasonably miss.

Spooky Bones

🦴 🎺 🦴
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My (not very new) Mercedes doesn't have an oil dipstick. You have to check the oil by running something on the car's computer (and it's a bit of a pain in the ass to do.) I'm not worried about it being a pain in the ass, but I am worried about their being some fault in the computer and it not telling me that I need to add/change oil. I obviously change my oil periodically but I'm also used to physically checking it with more regularity than that, and it worries me greatly putting that in the hands of a computer rather than my own.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
My (not very new) Mercedes doesn't have an oil dipstick. You have to check the oil by running something on the car's computer (and it's a bit of a pain in the ass to do.) I'm not worried about it being a pain in the ass, but I am worried about their being some fault in the computer and it not telling me that I need to add/change oil. I obviously change my oil periodically but I'm also used to physically checking it with more regularity than that, and it worries me greatly putting that in the hands of a computer rather than my own.
I seriously detest that kind of shit. Replacing some actual, physical, and really easy to do thing with something that requires electronics. Fuck off with that shit. I prefer something where I can actually just physically look at something and see yes, there's oil in here. Why the fuck do I need a computer to tell me that?

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
The worst part is this is basically what Windows 10 is now.

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Eventually you'll connect to the server that runs the software and you'll only get to see the output, no piracy effectively possible because your computer doesn't run the critical code. We're not quite there technologically to be able to implement this in a robust way but I'm sure that's the end goal.
I mean, people still found ways to pirate SimCity 2013 and a lot of that shit was on cloud servers. Life finds a way.

As long as DOCX is the standard, I don't see that changing. LibreOffice is ok, but I still prefer Abiword and Gnumeric for documents / spreadsheets. Even on Linux, LibreOffice still takes too long to load. Abiword and Gnumeric load instantly. Not that I've had to write a document in a long while. I mostly use text editors like mousepad, gedit, or notepad++.

This "making software a service" bullshit may have been done because "piracy", which ironically may result in more "piracy".
Its done to get companies by the balls. They do add nifty features like cloud versions of Word and Excel. But the subscription model is just there to have a never ending flow of cash. Companies can't get away with just buying volume licnese for an old product and stay with it.

Of course, companies could use LibreOffice or what not. But there's probably a boomer exec somewhere that doesn't like it since it doesn't say "Microsoft Word".

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Of course, companies could use LibreOffice or what not. But there's probably a boomer exec somewhere that doesn't like it since it doesn't say "Microsoft Word".
I just use *.TXT (plain text) "by default", and if I need to make a text with different fonts, bold, italics, etc., then I just use *RTF (rich text). It can be done with just Notepad or WordPad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac). I've always disliked using Word.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Its done to get companies by the balls. They do add nifty features like cloud versions of Word and Excel. But the subscription model is just there to have a never ending flow of cash. Companies can't get away with just buying volume licnese for an old product and stay with it.
The contract for the subscription also covers at least one year, if a company is about to change from one company/product to another they better have everything up and running before the agreement lapses, delays of weeks or a month getting the replacement software running means having to sign up for another year long contract so people can keep working.

Adobe CC works well enough for me, the client can blow me but they actually roll out some pretty significant updates for Photoshop on a regular basis. Instead of Photoshop 2021 shipping with 200 small improvements and 40 new things, all of that is spread out over the 2020 CC version and instead of being bukkake'd by all the new shit in the latest release you check them out piece by piece over a year of releases.

That only works for certain software used by certain people that wants new and advanced functionality. Office 365 can't really do the same thing because the cranky women using Word or Excel will say it is acting weird and it might be a virus if there's a new option in the right-click menu. Users like that wants software that is the equivalent of a cast iron press, something that will never change because it cannot change.

You can still pirate Office and the creative suit and autodesk's software, and it is considerable less bothersome than using a paid-for license.
That's always been the case with Autodesk's software, including the software suites that they now own. Fucking dongles and license servers. The people that did random surprise visits to check licenses were perfectly fine with seeing companies running the cracked versions as long as they could show a license for every computer, they knew it was a pain in the ass that no one wanted to deal with.

I also kind of miss, and I shouldn't, quarter inch reel to reel tapes. This was a horrible, inconvenient format, would sometimes fuck up and spew immense amounts of tape on the floor and require literally spending hours to clean it up, but I had a monopoly on dealing with it that made me a lot of money at one point just because nobody else could or would deal with it at all.

Sometimes I'm nostalgic for things that are objectively shit and nobody should reasonably miss.
The worst jobs I've had were also the best jobs I've had, heading outside at the end of the day was probably the closest I've been to feeling as psyched as a dog during its first walk in the morning. Just like the dog that feeling was there every day. And taking it upon yourself to fix messes and fuck ups is a great way to earn overtime, goodwill and the autonomy to become a free-range wagie.

Kiislova

Mostly non degenerate furfag
kiwifarms.net
That's always been the case with Autodesk's software, including the software suites that they now own. Fucking dongles and license servers. The people that did random surprise visits to check licenses were perfectly fine with seeing companies running the cracked versions as long as they could show a license for every computer, they knew it was a pain in the ass that no one wanted to deal with.
In my experience cracking 5-figure-software... they just don't care. The more expensive a software package is, the more "enterprise" a software package is, the shittier the copy protection gets. Sometimes I didn't even need to open IDA to crack it, just replace totally_not_license_check.exe for a program that just returns success. Quite literally:

C:
int main(){
    return 0;
}

Tags
None