Tech you miss/ new tech trends you hate - ok boomers

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I just use *.TXT (plain text) "by default", and if I need to make a text with different fonts, bold, italics, etc., then I just use *RTF (rich text). It can be done with just Notepad or WordPad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac). I've always disliked using Word.
This is what I generally do. It's a rare document where I actually have to create it in some specific version of anything. I then just take the .rtf and open it in whatever other program is needed, or literally just cut and paste it in with formatting, possibly conforming it to some template in the process.

And for those more specific things, I quite often use some ancient version of whatever program is current. The backward compatibility almost always bails me out without much fuss.

Billy Rocker

Kill Count: Two autistic kids and a tranny
kiwifarms.net
Forced two factor authentication. I don't have anything against 2FA itself, but for some sites it feels like some sort of filter or excuse to lock people out of their accounts and jew in more personal information, with the excuse of "don't you guys have phones?!"

Thankfully on some sites you can simply use your email or a program like winauth to get past that, but then there's shit like Discord where some channels require you to add a phone number to your account, or Twitter which acts like you can register a new account just using your e-mail and then locks you out and wants a phone number 5 minutes later.

GrotesqueBushes

MEAT ROBOT
kiwifarms.net
Software-as-service is complete bullshit. It's an excuse to give up on any semblance of quality control, as every member of your customer base has been conscripted into beta testing, and there's no expectation of receiving a finished, working product when your product is never finished. It's an assault on customer property rights and is a return to the bad old days of feudalism where the serf didn't own anything and everything had to be rented from the lord.
To expand on how shit SAAS is - my company has two separate ERPs, one is an old on-premise suite, the other is a swanky saas cloud thing. We have to wipe and refresh the production environment in the SAAS thing.
Doing that for the on-premise software would take about as long as it does to type the sentence above - you'd truncate maybe 6 database tables and you're golden. With the software-as-a-service suite tomorrow we'll be entering week 4 of talks on whether it's feasible and possible to do that, and the vendor's position as of now is that it's not doable. They'll likely call mid to high 5 figures for the service in a week or two.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pretty sure it does, at least on 7 and 8.1. You may want to get your hands on a copy of 3.0 (Adobe accidentally gave it away for free a while back along with all of CS2) because I think it has better support for newer file formats such as FLAC.
there's an flt to get flac on 1.5, too

BooneHelm

kiwifarms.net
I miss a lot about the last generation of consoles (Wii, 360, PS3)

Multiplayer - I don't know if it's the "pro" gamer trend that caused it but everything now seems too polished and balanced now. Back then it seemed to be more chaotic and about the enjoyment of the game and playing with friends. That might be my rose tinted glasses though. I think there was a lot more variety back then as well. Now it's mostly deathmatch or battle royale.

Xbox Live Indie Games - where any schlub could make a shitty game and sell it to you for a couple bucks.

Avatars - Miis, Xbox Avatars, and the now dead Playstation Home

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if newer TVs let you use older aspect ratios. Digital Devil Saga looks like a blurry mess through composite even at its native aspect ratio.
Mine does, though it also doesn't allow you to use anything that doesn't support progressive scan at all. It has one of those combo composite/component jacks, but won't work with anything older than a Wii.

Gatdam Animal Person

Hot dog!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hate when laptop manufacturers put DRM on essential components and accessories, going from wireless antenna to a gatdam power brick.

Especially Dell.

I gave out my old Dell laptop to my grandma. The OEM charger sustained too much abuse, so we bought a new one made by HP with the same specs. One month later, she tells me that the lappy doesn't hold its charge anymore and that it's very, VERY slow.

Found out that Dell chargers have an extra pin for authentification purposes. If the BIOS doesn't detect it, the battery stops charging and the CPU gets absurdly throttled... Just because I didn't buy their OG stuff.

Fixed it by installing Throttlestop, which bypasses the CPU throttle. Don't plan to do anything intensive with it, so I should be fine.

TatsunoKuri

Designated Art Hobo
kiwifarms.net
I miss the old CRT/VCR combos, and just having dedicated gaming consoles in general. Yeah, not too compact, but it was easy to set up the gamecube and the mini-tv, and go a few rounds. Add in the Wavebird controllers, and boom, perfect game night. No need for internet, or anything too complicated.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Pretty sure it does, at least on 7 and 8.1. You may want to get your hands on a copy of 3.0 (Adobe accidentally gave it away for free a while back along with all of CS2) because I think it has better support for newer file formats such as FLAC.
They permanently fucked up their license/authentication servers for CS2 somehow, so the only solution they could come up with to serve their customers was to offer all of CS2 on their webpage, complete with a valid serial. It's still there as far as I know, downloadable by anyone that is willing to pinkie swear that they paid for it. Adobe is a truly 'special' company.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: XYZpdq

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
I use GIMP instead of Photoshop now.

At least free software normally isn't a service AFAIK - yet.
Recent GIMP is actually good and lives up to its name for the first time ever(in my opinion), it's a way better choice than old Photoshop versions. Except there's a bug that makes it muuuch slower than it should be during certain things and it's still there in the latest 2.10.20. Annoying.

Jack O'Neill

Fuck
kiwifarms.net
I absolutely hate laptops these days. Flimsy, unreliable, nonexistent IO, and very difficult to upgrade. Look, all I want, is a laptop with plenty of IO decent cooling, and easy to upgrade. I could not give the slightest shit about the styling or the slimness. Anything that is super thin, ends up being super flimsy. JUST GIVE ME A FUCKING LAPTOP THAT IS USEFUL! Not everyone is a twitter slut FFS!

Glad I couldn't help

Ohai!
kiwifarms.net
Forced two factor authentication. I don't have anything against 2FA itself, but for some sites it feels like some sort of filter or excuse to lock people out of their accounts and jew in more personal information, with the excuse of "don't you guys have phones?!"

Thankfully on some sites you can simply use your email or a program like winauth to get past that, but then there's shit like Discord where some channels require you to add a phone number to your account, or Twitter which acts like you can register a new account just using your e-mail and then locks you out and wants a phone number 5 minutes later.
Phone 2FA is harmful, as it been repeated demonstrated be insecure numerous times. Other I that, I could see why making it mandatory is annoying, but then if you're signing for Discord and Twitter, you should be prepared to constantly annoyed until you die.
Multiplayer - I don't know if it's the "pro" gamer trend that caused it but everything now seems too polished and balanced now. Back then it seemed to be more chaotic and about the enjoyment of the game and playing with friends. That might be my rose tinted glasses though. I think there was a lot more variety back then as well. Now it's mostly deathmatch or battle royale.
Is local multiplayer still a thing? Back in the N64 days, me and my friends would be playing together playing Smash, Maro Party or Perfect Dark. Now kids are play Fornite alone, connected together by the Internet.

I don't think this is actual progress.
I absolutely hate laptops these days. Flimsy, unreliable, nonexistent IO, and very difficult to upgrade. Look, all I want, is a laptop with plenty of IO decent cooling, and easy to upgrade. I could not give the slightest shit about the styling or the slimness. Anything that is super thin, ends up being super flimsy. JUST GIVE ME A FUCKING LAPTOP THAT IS USEFUL! Not everyone is a twitter slut FFS!
Probably your best bet is a used business laptop, like a MemeThinkPad, Dell Latitude or HP EliteBook, although more recent models have fallen prey to same trends as other laptops.

• Feels
Reactions: AnotherPleb

Jack O'Neill

Fuck
kiwifarms.net
Phone 2FA is harmful, as it been repeated demonstrated be insecure numerous times. Other I that, I could see why making it mandatory is annoying, but then if you're signing for Discord and Twitter, you should be prepared to constantly annoyed until you die.

Is local multiplayer still a thing? Back in the N64 days, me and my friends would be playing together playing Smash, Maro Party or Perfect Dark. Now kids are play Fornite alone, connected together by the Internet.

I don't think this is actual progress.

Probably your best bet is a used business laptop, like a MemeThinkPad, Dell Latitude or HP EliteBook, although more recent models have fallen prey to same trends as other laptops.
I have an old Dell latitude XT2 with it's original dock. Has plenty of IO, and looks great.

Tags
None