Tech you miss/ new tech trends you hate - ok boomers

wokelizard

kiwifarms.net
Websites that don't let you browse without popping up some shitty box asking you to subscribe or sign up or whatever. It's literally at the point I have an autonomous response to close the window without even noticing, like how swatting away flies becomes something you don't even consciously notice or control after living somewhere and being bugged by them for long enough. I still hate that websites do it. Especially the ones that think they're being sneaky by putting a 15 second delay or making it hit only after you've scrolled half way down the page or whatever. They should all burn in hell for their sins. Soldered ram, ssds, wireless cards. Stupid firmware bugs like bricking something because it's been turned on for too long. Planned obselescence, engineering done by creatives and beancounters substituting parts to save 5 cents, and not actual engineers, Webcams in $4000 laptops that are fucking WORSE than a $50 phones front cam from 10 years ago, just because they want to pay 5 cents per module rather than 50 cents.

Basil II

my dimension is augmented
kiwifarms.net
The overwhelming CONSOOMerism in the tech industry, niggas sucking off anything AMD or Nvidia does no matter how shit it is.

How autistic do you have to be to simp for a fucking mega-corporation, I've seen these niggas unironically say AMD was shitting on Intel with the FX series.

Also, the idea that you have to buy brand new high end parts every year for no reason or else you're a poorfag, like a bunch of people got salty about AMD's B450 shenanigans, bruh by the time you would even need a new CPU, AM4 would be long gone.

I've also noticed a lot of people just parroting what everyone else or their pet youtuber says about tech.

stupidpieceofshit

Panzer Vor, Motherfuckers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I absolutely hate laptops these days. Flimsy, unreliable, nonexistent IO, and very difficult to upgrade. Look, all I want, is a laptop with plenty of IO decent cooling, and easy to upgrade. I could not give the slightest shit about the styling or the slimness. Anything that is super thin, ends up being super flimsy. JUST GIVE ME A FUCKING LAPTOP THAT IS USEFUL! Not everyone is a twitter slut FFS!
II found non big name OEMs tend to offer more options in the "easy upgrade" path. The Laptop I had from Micro Center's house brand was great, and the one I have now both allowed for easy upgrades and this laptop I have now has 2 m.2 slots + 2.5in drive.
It was so frustrating trying to find laptops I could actually expand RAM and storage on. Some laptops I looked at, had it so you had to remove the motherboard to upgrade storage (wtf).

heyitsmike

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
kiwifarms.net
I actually liked myspace as a social media.
No advertisement crammed down your throat. Don't have to see people you don't like on your feed. Make your own little hub. Stay networked, Only share what you want, not harassed for more info by the platform. Chill.
Myspace and AIM were the shit and I will never forgive Zuckerberg for Facebook killing them.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Soldered ram, ssds, wireless cards.
Shitty proprietary screw heads with no purpose other than to make your life difficult and/or make you have to buy some shitty proprietary screwdriver that costs ten times a normal screwdriver. Whenever I have to remove any of that shit, and possibly can, I replace it with normal screws.

CrystalRoserade

Local Weeb Translator
kiwifarms.net
I know it was mentioned before, but god I hate always online drm. It's the main reason I bothered to hunt down a cracked copy of TS4, aside from being a poor bitch and not wanting to buy all the DLCs. Also, ordering kiosks. Fuck those things. As for tech I miss, it's a bit pre-emptive, but I'm going to miss flash support on browsers. Sometimes I just want to relive some memories and play old dating sims I loved, like stuff by Pacthesis, or, god forbid, shitty MMD dating sims made by thirsty weebs.

thebananaonion

kiwifarms.net
kinda weird but flip phones or just non-toutch screen phones in general. if your screen gets fucjed up with a crack, good luck doing anything with that phone now. did screen crake a bit on the flip phone? at least you could still make texts and calls if the screen hasn't whitescreened on you.

not as big of an inconvenience and the click of it when being closed was justa nice noise to me as a kid.

alsofuck apple products. especially their overprices pos mac books and things like that. over prices for outdated tech at this point. Apple is not a tech company anymore, it's a status symbol fashion-like brand similar to how rich people own gucci or you're seen as a better person just wearing branded +expensive shit. better phones out there and tech in general than apple.

heyitsmike

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
kiwifarms.net
I know it was mentioned before, but god I hate always online drm.
Always online anything, especially racing games. Why in hell does NFS 2015, The Crew and The Crew 2 need to have internet? It's a freaking racing game.

Fortunately I'm on Xbox so there is zero reason to buy either of The Crew titles when I could get Forza Horizon.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
This. Go to any Reddit tech thread and there is usually a moron talking about LINUS and his infotainment youtube channel.
There's also the problem of sites/channels mainly covering the high-end. They benchmark the midrange spectrum as well but put that in the same graph as the high-end, which seems fair for CPUs... but with GPUs they're running ULTRA settings that require ~6GB of VRAM on 3GB cards that STILL cranks out 55-60fps in this ridiculous scenario meant to show off the lastest $1200 retard trap that Nvidia put out. In a bar graph that bar is very small compared to the absolute high-end and they completely ignore that on high/medium settings 1080p@60 is solved.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They permanently fucked up their license/authentication servers for CS2 somehow, so the only solution they could come up with to serve their customers was to offer all of CS2 on their webpage, complete with a valid serial. It's still there as far as I know, downloadable by anyone that is willing to pinkie swear that they paid for it. Adobe is a truly 'special' company.
any chance you could please spoonfeed me some of that? I have some relatives who hit me up for Adobe crap sporadically

Basil II

my dimension is augmented
kiwifarms.net
There's also the problem of sites/channels mainly covering the high-end. They benchmark the midrange spectrum as well but put that in the same graph as the high-end, which seems fair for CPUs... but with GPUs they're running ULTRA settings that require ~6GB of VRAM on 3GB cards that STILL cranks out 55-60fps in this ridiculous scenario meant to show off the lastest $1200 retard trap that Nvidia put out. In a bar graph that bar is very small compared to the absolute high-end and they completely ignore that on high/medium settings 1080p@60 is solved.
You think Nvidia's got a deal with game devs to make ULTRA settings as ridiculous as possible so they can advertise their overpriced shit?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SIGSEGV

Hermann the German

Niemand lügt soviel als der Entrüstete.
kiwifarms.net
You think Nvidia's got a deal with game devs to make ULTRA settings as ridiculously possible so they can advertise their overpriced shit?
I don't know if that's the case, but I do know that many devs are happy to make free use of Nvidia's mostly-proprietary shit-tier middleware in their game creation. If everything ran on Vulkan the world would be a better place...

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
any chance you could please spoonfeed me some of that? I have some relatives who hit me up for Adobe crap sporadically
No, I looked far and wide, @Kosher Dill was completely right, they have removed it. It's still on sites like Softpedia etc but I don't trust those sites.
Current GIMP is about/at least as good as Photoshop up until around Adobe Creative Cloud(PS CS5/6) it just needs some key-bindings to make all the familiar shortcuts work.

Scribus(free) is decent enough InDesign alternative to knock out a nifty layout for office manuals or a step-by-step infographic that angry explains why cats should not shit in the playgrounds sandbox.

Don't know about free alternatives to Illustrator and Resolve is like Premiere except it's better and doesn't crash.

I have no idea about Illustrator.

You think Nvidia's got a deal with game devs to make ULTRA settings as ridiculous as possible so they can advertise their overpriced shit?
ULTRA is the only way to run them at their potential, they will start to be CPU bound or hit other hard (frame) caps at lower resolutions. Imagine this benchmark: Compared to a civic how fast is a Ferrari in inner-city traffic, with traffic congestion, red lights and 90 degree turns.

This is an extreme example of what I'm talking about: Benchmarking Far Cry New Dawn* on using the most sold AMP CPU(the sensible R5 3600), there's a 5fps difference between the Nvidia 2080TI and the AMD RX 5700[$379 MSRP a launch] at 1080p/Normal. Increasing that to Ultra at 1080p the difference is... still 5 fps. (105vs110)
At 1440p Ultra the difference becomes 16fps(108/92) but even then the relatively ancient Radeon RX 580, that you can probably buy for a hundo used, averages just above 60fps.
It's CPU bound, plain and simple, but that(or the X) is the CPU that the a large part of the audience will likely own or plan to buy, so it is relevant information that is rarely seen.

To make cards like the 2080TI trounce the competition and push the XT(and especially the 580) down the charts requires something beyond normal and high-end hardware(CPU, memory) that the majority of users likely will not have(look at steam charts) or is able/willing to buy. It's not cheating but it is not really information that would serve their viewers.

This is why BudgetBuilds is a nice counterweight. "Can I run GTA5 on what was AMDs flagship GPU in 2007 that I bought for £3.25 on ebay? Yes I can!"

*to be fair, Far Cry is a bit special and that's why I chose it.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No, I looked far and wide, @Kosher Dill was completely right, they have removed it. It's still on sites like Softpedia etc but I don't trust those sites.
I took the SHA-256 hashes of my copy downloaded directly from Adobe, if anyone wants to brave the swamp looking for the files elsewhere.

FileSHA-256
22020134.exe547CB7801E70B138074FAA84EF16EBCA262F60C4B535C814D677B17A52D860A3
ADBEAudition_ESD1_WWEFGJIS.exeDF3C0010DDA588F1E5E81D35F8B1939F31C3B3ACF7392E006C79177591B6D6EF
AI_CS2_IE_NonRet.exe2D412FD19C3395E7ED58A7BF7C5177CB362D73D77A11D5518B5FAF78ABF36191
CreativeSuiteCS2Disc1.exe36DACE2549BDE94D7A45281380EEF453FD2AF38EDA19348FA3DE567549A696EC
CreativeSuiteCS2Disc2.exe5862668CA45C0196777D3D4E2108D0A6F0750F6965769CB5730944D3520DBB54
CreativeSuiteCS2Disc3.exeC662F1C431FAA33160523545FDA3BD58F29ED3616CB8E6D1835CCE810AD5AB30
CS_2.0_WWE_Extras_1.exe921402DA55BFEF5E6E21DE2261F725FFE0A451153F453000FB3152635E1161BE
GL_CS2_UE_NonRet.exe78572D955E2225B7AA4BD7AEA92A4FD62461ED22800498BB6CF0E4D5E0DCC640
IC_CS2_UE_NonRet.exeD3FDA07E3E6E2380B2DA9EB8CCD07027A93C6838C225BD7A81B333B5E14469EF
ID_CS2_UE_NonRet.exe947E082624A491D0A66F314850297337618A0FCC45AE4B8BE7117D04A071AD69
PhSp_CS2_English.exe97472D344667FC986025BE0DB8AA4B302DF892705E96C8C67BAC965F054F9288
audition301.zip7EE8E460C4950CA5893D060F32E98841BD35D5ABABCC2C26A8F4A9D2995904B5
clamchop-x244-install-oem.zip541A704B06CA8DF2C8E69C7852BDF7166B82D3643F9D80475541CC8817CCE2F6
PPRO_2.0_Ret-NH_UE.zipC0A4C423EB551DC5A958A58115ABC928FA18E65BDAC711837C950AF8A1F4049D
VCS2.zipD128D52EA7864D079E73B2F6A78A71FFFA008F8AF6CE7BA6955AA29EC2019D0C

Razel

Give me the dust of my father.
kiwifarms.net
Hate:
Web designs clearly built with mobile in mind, with "mobile friendly" elements everywhere even on the desktop version.
I don't need fucking inch-wide buttons when I'm clearly using a mouse and keyboard, and I fucking hate the actual content taking up the middle 1/3 of the screen while the left and right 3rds are taken up by either ads or whitespace.​
Surveillance Capitalism
"We put a tracker on you a while back when you let your guard down, and we think you'll like these products. :^)" Die in a fire, Google. How the hell we let things get this bad I will never know. It's the creepiest shit, and nobody bats an eye about it. We're giving money to companies that invade our privacy and psychologically manipulate us to impulse buy shit we don't need.​
"Javascript must be enabled/Adblock must be disabled to continue"
Go fuck yourselves. There's no damned reason why Javascript should ever be necessary on a modern website, especially to read a text article. Any time a website tries to strongarm me into using Javascript for a passive reading experience, I instantly distrust that site. Also, I'll disable adblock when the ads I'm blocking stop being a godawful mess that takes up 80% of the page to shill eerily relevant products (see above).​
Auto playing videos in articles/on pages
Who the fuck decided this was okay? If I wanted to passively watch a video, I'd go to YouTube or something. I'm here to read an article or something, so fuck off. I honestly don't know which I hate more, the videos that are embedded somewhere on the page so they start playing after I've made it halfway down and have to scroll back up to look for the fuckers, or the ones that float in the corner and chase me down. They're always at full volume too, so god help you if you're browsing in the middle of the night with speakers near someone who's sleeping, or by yourself with headphones on.​
Miss:
Flip phones.

Remember when the entire rest of your phone's components were between your screen and the ground if it fell out of your pocket? There was always something so satisfying about snapping that bitch shut, too. You could also actually fit them in your pocket and still have pocket space for other shit. I feel bad for females, with their inexplicably small pockets.​
Instant Messaging.
Catching your friends when they were home, getting a little peek into someone's mood via their status messages, etc. There was a ritual to IMing that got lost with modern messaging clients, I think. It felt like a special place where you could open up a bit more to your buddies, confess your undying love for someone, etc. Now it's just another tool to be either incredibly vapid or srs bsns, with no go between.​

Personal web pages.
Web pages used to be an expression of self. You could tell a lot about a person by how they designed their website. Passionate perfectionists always had an "under construction" banner despite new content being added regularly, whimsical types' pages would change your mouse cursor to something silly, etc. It also required an initial "buy in" of learning some basic HTML, so someone had to be inspired to create one. Now we Facebook, which is overly sanitary and too accessible, so the experience ranges from overly utilitarian to cringy boomer memes.​

Nerd cultures.
When you had to have some technical know-how to get around on the internet, we had such an abundance of people who values intelligence and scientific thought that it couldn't even be contained within one group. You had the phreakers, the hackers, the scifi geeks, the tabletop gamers, and hell, even the furries. These groups intermingled, but they were all pretty insular and despised the idea of average people moving into their space, so there was a unique culture built around intellectualism and shared interests which were discussed at length. People would rep their favorite franchises in forum signatures/avatars, but to be part of the community you had to do more than buy a t-shirt and subscribe to a YouTube channel - you had to know what the fuck you were talking about, and contribute to the discussion in some way.​

Diversity of platforms and thought.
This is probably my biggest one. There were multiple places to go and discuss any given topic, each run by a person or group of people with their own ideas on moderation, and if none of those suited your desires you could make one yourself and actually be seen. Until the late 2000s or so, you could look around and see people with opposing viewpoints having respectful, in depth debates with nary an insult. Nobody tried to play "community leader" and somehow revoke someone's rights to enjoy something because they disagreed with them, and if they did they'd be laughed out of whatever forum/chat for being a little bitch. De-platforming wasn't possible, because there was an abundance of platforms. The internet was treated as a proper commons back then, where everybody had the right to their own opinions and the ability to gather with others and form a community.​

Tags
None