Tech you miss/ new tech trends you hate - ok boomers

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Does Audition 1.5 still work? My ancient toaster is using 7 so I dunno about modern win
might work in wine. But I've neve been super sucessful using cracked versions of software on wine.

Reaper is great, but I'm very used to audition. Audacity is good for some basic stuff, but sucks with any pro shit. I can't even use an EQ while audio is playing FFS.

Razel

Give me the dust of my father.
kiwifarms.net
(I miss when ads were just GIF banners at the top of sites.)
Kinda makes me wonder what the evolution of online ads would have looked like if we hadn't been so gung-ho to disable ads so early on. I doubt much would have changed, but in hindsight I feel like I was so damned spoiled to object so strongly to little 50x200 gif ads.

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kinda makes me wonder what the evolution of online ads would have looked like if we hadn't been so gung-ho to disable ads so early on. I doubt much would have changed, but in hindsight I feel like I was so damned spoiled to object so strongly to little 50x200 gif ads.
Advertising is why we have so much censorship today: to cater to the advertisers who pay the bills, not the site's actual users. "Free" is never, ever worth what eventually ends up costing. We need microtransactions, but if I recall correctly the Visa/Mastercard duopoly was blocking those?

The Real SVP

kiwifarms.net
We need microtransactions
No we don't. We need people who care. Care to create content and platforms. Care to share cool stuff with others. Care to support the creators. People created art and news and science, and had public discussions long before money was invented. And people shared and discussed things on the internet long before internet ads and payment processors were a thing. We could have a perfectly fine, fun, and productive internet without parasites trying to fish pennies out of our pockets.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Hate:
Auto playing videos in articles/on pages
Who the fuck decided this was okay? If I wanted to passively watch a video, I'd go to YouTube or something. I'm here to read an article or something, so fuck off. I honestly don't know which I hate more, the videos that are embedded somewhere on the page so they start playing after I've made it halfway down and have to scroll back up to look for the fuckers, or the ones that float in the corner and chase me down. They're always at full volume too, so god help you if you're browsing in the middle of the night with speakers near someone who's sleeping, or by yourself with headphones on.​
Or the Forbes way, putting an auto-play video on a long-ass article, in the end you just end up muting the video because it can't be gotten rid of. The nasty surprise is that it's not ONE video it is a playlist of 2 minute videos that have fuck all to do with why you're there, all playing back to back in the background on an article that takes 10-15 minutes to read. Tinfoil-hat territory but I'm absolutely certain that they squeeze/scam out extra "impressions" by doing that.

Fox News allows me to turn off auto-play and have it stick from there on out and that's the only reason I visit them first if they're one of the sites listed covering a story. One site, can't remember which, tried playing three videos at once... I think beanie man talked about how news sites inflate their views in various ways.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Online ads did keep evolving along that line though, and hit a dead-end of pop-ups, pop-unders, and Javascript hijacking that threatened to turn normies off the internet.
Google was initially hailed as a savior because they came up with an unobtrusive advertising system that actually worked.

Kiislova

Mostly non degenerate furfag
kiwifarms.net
When your screen is 800x600 that's a good chunk. Truth be told, something I LOATHE are:

Full-screen splash adverts. Looking at you online "press"

One tech trend I hate is the over saturation of furries and trannies making tech worse and more infantile.
Yeah, trannies ruin everything, furries ruin everything, trannyfurfags will fuck it up then shit on it only to 41% on it later on.
Fucking furries...

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
Really hate how GPU prices have inflated over the last few years. I completely blame the mining fad, companies getting cozy with the higher margins, and refusing to let the market naturally revert to what it was. It doesn't help that while doing excellent in the CPU market right now, AMD has still shit the bed with their GPUs and drivers.

400-500 used to be the top tier card (or at least a nice high tier), but now barely covers a fucking xx60 in some cases.

We are seriously potientially looking at $1500+ for the next gen 3080 cards. Fucking insanity.

soy_king

I am the Prom King, I seethe at everything
kiwifarms.net
I miss Ham Radio, not for the actual tech, but because it was the first major breeding pool for lolcows. A lot of criminal law casebooks still teach cases where people in the ham radio communities would either assault or murder each other over the stupidest shit, and while all the other cases in those books are disturbing and sad, each of these was hilariously ridiculous.

Goldman

PROTECKING THE LYFE CYCLE
kiwifarms.net
I miss a lot about the last generation of consoles (Wii, 360, PS3)

Multiplayer - I don't know if it's the "pro" gamer trend that caused it but everything now seems too polished and balanced now. Back then it seemed to be more chaotic and about the enjoyment of the game and playing with friends. That might be my rose tinted glasses though. I think there was a lot more variety back then as well. Now it's mostly deathmatch or battle royale.
Is local multiplayer still a thing? Back in the N64 days, me and my friends would be playing together playing Smash, Maro Party or Perfect Dark. Now kids are play Fornite alone, connected together by the Internet.

I don't think this is actual progress.
I can't think of a recent game that has local MP, maybe Sonic Mania and Streets of Rage 4. Online MP didn't have to make games sterile and perfectly balanced, but skill-based matchmaking and rankings caused this. There's no room for silly things or weird unbalanced stuff when people will rage over losing rank over those things. Microtransactions and ranking are strangling mods, since you don't want somebody downloading a mod instead of buying stuff. I'll throw in another, the fact that online MP games completely die once the servers are shut off. There's a no-man's land in terms of times when games are coming out, where you can't direct connect via IP and there's no local multiplayer, so once the company doesn't think it's worth supporting anymore, it's gone.

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Really hate how GPU prices have inflated over the last few years. I completely blame the mining fad, companies getting cozy with the higher margins, and refusing to let the market naturally revert to what it was. It doesn't help that while doing excellent in the CPU market right now, AMD has still shit the bed with their GPUs and drivers.

400-500 used to be the top tier card (or at least a nice high tier), but now barely covers a fucking xx60 in some cases.

We are seriously potientially looking at $1500+ for the next gen 3080 cards. Fucking insanity.
Blame nVidia. I just checked out mid tier GPUs level and they're still pretty decently priced. Like around $250 for a 1660. The RX 5700 is still $400. nVidia thinks that Ray Tracing is premium and charging accordingly. Shit sucks.

The situation today is way better than during the mining fad. You couldn't even get 1050s on Amazon. I'm surprised GPUs are still available with Amazon Prime.

And if Intel ever releases a GPU, get ready to get your asshole stuffed because they'll probably inflate their prices too.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
And if Intel ever releases a GPU, get ready to get your asshole stuffed because they'll probably inflate their prices too.
With Intel being Intel that's probably the case, but they have manufacturing capabilities out of the ass that they're not doing anything with and part of their decision to get into the GPU space is probably because they want to extend the lifespan of the antiquated machinery/plants they paid tens of billions for two years ago. I know they have problems with their current node but that won't be the case forever and GPUs have always been a bit blergh design wise so Intel could potentially squeeze out a lot out what would be an older process.

But they won't, because they're Intel, and some coked up idiot with a boner probably envisions dominating the HPC space at a premium price because of the brand. HP will be their priority partner.

Reactions: XYZpdq

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Who cares when a $150 CPU is good enough for VR and 4K gaming, if you fiddle with the settings a bit?
Cryptocurrency vastly inflated the values of shitty GPUs that were otherwise worthless. These were purchased by utterly dumb people who either didn't understand that the cost of electricity brought their value for these purposes below zero or, alternately, by people who actually did turn a marginal profit because they were stealing the electricity in the first place.

Tags
None