Tech you miss/ new tech trends you hate - ok boomers

FreeYourDoodies

Welcome to the Suck
kiwifarms.net
I miss Ham Radio, not for the actual tech, but because it was the first major breeding pool for lolcows. A lot of criminal law casebooks still teach cases where people in the ham radio communities would either assault or murder each other over the stupidest shit, and while all the other cases in those books are disturbing and sad, each of these was hilariously ridiculous.
Would you mind elaborating? This sounds hilarious.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Cryptocurrency vastly inflated the values of shitty GPUs that were otherwise worthless. These were purchased by utterly dumb people who either didn't understand that the cost of electricity brought their value for these purposes below zero or, alternately, by people who actually did turn a marginal profit because they were stealing the electricity in the first place.
Even the low end($50-75) Radeons were cleared out by the crypto nuts. That's straight up carpet surfing or drinking after shave.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Those antenna towers you could have built next to your house, and you had a box on top of the set with a dial to change the direction and then a motor would slowly move it into place. They'd be nearly useless now, but they were cool.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Those antenna towers you could have built next to your house, and you had a box on top of the set with a dial to change the direction and then a motor would slowly move it into place. They'd be nearly useless now, but they were cool.
there's also their brother, The Giant Old Satellite Dish where you could tune in feeds like when syndicated shows would sent out the week's worth of shows at once

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
I miss when everything had actual buttons and switches and dials. Big screens on phones are nice but typing on a screen is shit, sadly except for some crappy overpriced BlackBerry phones I dont think you have any options now.

Its not just phones, a lot of tech now comes with touch sensitive 'buttons' and it just feels off to me not having any physical feedback when I turn on a washing machine or whatever.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
but typing on a screen is shit, sadly except for some crappy overpriced BlackBerry phones I dont think you have any options now.
touchscreen phones suck for typing but teeny tiny phonesized keyboards sucked only slightly less
can't you get bluetooth keyboards of a reasonable size?

Kikkoman

kiwifarms.net
I miss when everything had actual buttons and switches and dials. Big screens on phones are nice but typing on a screen is shit, sadly except for some crappy overpriced BlackBerry phones I dont think you have any options now.

Its not just phones, a lot of tech now comes with touch sensitive 'buttons' and it just feels off to me not having any physical feedback when I turn on a washing machine or whatever.
There are a few others, but both are very expensive. The fxtech pro1 is a conventional slide out landscape design ($700 + S&H) and two options from UK company planet computer ($874) and ($655) that are more micro-laptop but but still android based. I've seen phone cases with bluetooth keyboards that slide out from behind the phone but most seem to be for older iphones and samsungs.

• Informative
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

heyitsmike

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
kiwifarms.net
I miss when televisions came with a lot of ports. This is the back of my set I bought in 2009. I've used almost every single one of them at one time or another.
Screenshot_2020-08-01-10-51-13_kindlephoto-2527136.png

When I first bought it, I had a satellite box and a DVD player hooked up to HDMI (2). If I wanted to watch a movie off my laptop I used the VGA and 3.5mm connection (3). Then I moved to an apartment that had cable, back when you could still get cable straight from the wall without a box (1). I moved again, so then I had a cable box going to HDMI. Later I bought a Roku so I had to bump the DVD player to component (11). I found a cheap soundbar for it that only had RCA inputs so I had to use the analog out (4).

When I moved to my current place I dumped cable and am using an over the air antenna (1). I don't have a bookshelf next to my television anymore to put a full size DVD player so I use an old travel DVD player I stick next to it on the wall using mounting tape. It only has composite outputs (10). My old soundbar broke so I got a new one and it's hooked up with TOSLINK (5). Previously I used the USB to power the Roku but now I use it for the bias lighting so it turns on and off automatically (7).

Such a versatile television set. Unfortunately they don't make them like that anymore. I'd much rather have more ports than "smart" features any day.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Such a versatile television set. Unfortunately they don't make them like that anymore. I'd much rather have more ports than "smart" features any day.
Especially when the so-called "smart" features are the shittiest most crippled Android version you ever saw complete with absolute bullshit to make it completely un-jailbreakable so you couldn't do anything useful with it even if you wanted to.

heyitsmike

kiwifarms.net
Especially when the so-called "smart" features are the shittiest most crippled Android version you ever saw complete with absolute bullshit to make it completely un-jailbreakable so you couldn't do anything useful with it even if you wanted to.
I have another set that I bought four years ago. The smart features are now so slow they're unusable. The first year I had it I used the Amazon Prime Video and MLB.tv apps on it when I didn't want to fire up the XBox just to use its apps. But it's been so bloated down by firmware updates that it legitimately takes seconds to respond to a button press.

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have another set that I bought four years ago. The smart features are now so slow they're unusable. The first year I had it I used the Amazon Prime Video and MLB.tv apps on it when I didn't want to fire up the XBox just to use its apps. But it's been so bloated down by firmware updates that it legitimately takes seconds to respond to a button press.
I bet it has atrocious security and is now mining bitcoin or something for some hacker.

heyitsmike

kiwifarms.net
I bet it has atrocious security and is now mining bitcoin or something for some hacker.
Oh the security is almost certainly non existent. But since I can't use the smart features anyway it's not connected to the internet.

I'm not even sure it could spy on me to be honest. The hardware in that thing is less powerful than a tamagotchi from 1997.

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
I miss when televisions came with a lot of ports. This is the back of my set I bought in 2009. I've used almost every single one of them at one time or another.
I feel this. It's almost impossible to find component and composite video inputs on modern TV's. Nowadays you get 2 HDMI only (and some low end brands only have a single one) or have to pay out the ass for 4.

So much older tech is going to be impossible to hook up eventually. Make sure to transfer all the home/family videos while you can.

Puff

God of Chaos
kiwifarms.net
Or the Forbes way, putting an auto-play video on a long-ass article, in the end you just end up muting the video because it can't be gotten rid of. The nasty surprise is that it's not ONE video it is a playlist of 2 minute videos that have fuck all to do with why you're there, all playing back to back in the background on an article that takes 10-15 minutes to read. Tinfoil-hat territory but I'm absolutely certain that they squeeze/scam out extra "impressions" by doing that.

Fox News allows me to turn off auto-play and have it stick from there on out and that's the only reason I visit them first if they're one of the sites listed covering a story. One site, can't remember which, tried playing three videos at once... I think beanie man talked about how news sites inflate their views in various ways.
Mute the tab. That's my instant reaction now.

Cryptocurrency vastly inflated the values of shitty GPUs that were otherwise worthless. These were purchased by utterly dumb people who either didn't understand that the cost of electricity brought their value for these purposes below zero or, alternately, by people who actually did turn a marginal profit because they were stealing the electricity in the first place.
NGL, I'm in a position to steal electricity and was thinking of mining. Didn't think I'd ever get the chance post-college.

• Feels
Reactions: AnOminous

Return of the Freaker

The ass was THIS fat
kiwifarms.net

Even gas pumps are doing this now. At least with the 'function/options' keys on the side of the main display
Screenshots_2020-08-02-21-13-39.png

I've seen it at a few gas stations by me that replaced their pumps in the past 18 months. Feels really weird.

heyitsmike

kiwifarms.net
Nowadays you get 2 HDMI only (and some low end brands only have a single one) or have to pay out the ass for 4.
I hate this. I wish companies would acknowledge that there is a middle ground full of consumers who don't need the absolute top of the line, but also would like to buy a product with some creature comforts.

I bought a truck a couple years back. I really wanted another stick shift (speaking of tech that's going away). I found one. Six speed, crew cab, low miles, only a few years old. My last manual didn't have cruise control so I wasn't expecting that this time either. But this time I also had to forgo power windows, power locks and power mirrors.

So here I am, cranking my windows down in 2020 like I would have been in 1980 if I were alive.

Reactions: talk talk talk
Tags
None