Feedback Technical Grievances -

• Images may fail sporadically. I have taken measures to keep the site working under high load at the expense of static content. The new server is ETA 7~10 days.

Mr. 0

god im not good at computer how did this get here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
kiwifarms.net
recently every time I try to save an image here this happens

View attachment 1166287

the few images that let you go fullscreen have a download button don't have that problem.
that's because you're not saving the image correctly. you have to make sure it says "Save image as..." to get the IMAGE and not just "Save as...." which will attempt to save the HTML file. I can't say for sure that's what you're doing, but Windows Photo Viewer cannot open HTML files which would likely cause that problem.

This is you being a boomer and has nothing to do with KF.

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
Can there be an option to hide avatars outside of using stealth? People's gifs are really annoying and if somebody uses a flashy gif I generally dont even read their post.

• Horrifying
Reactions: Mr. 0

Trashfire Garbagefuck

Hot Carl
kiwifarms.net
that's because you're not saving the image correctly. you have to make sure it says "Save image as..." to get the IMAGE and not just "Save as...." which will attempt to save the HTML file. I can't say for sure that's what you're doing, but Windows Photo Viewer cannot open HTML files which would likely cause that problem.

This is you being a boomer and has nothing to do with KF.
I'm already using save image as. who the hell doesn't know the difference between an html file and a jpeg?

• Horrifying
  • Optimistic
Reactions: FlappyBat and Mr. 0

Trashfire Garbagefuck

Hot Carl
kiwifarms.net
Neither of the two posts you've made so far have a link to a post that's giving you the issue so it can be tested, so I'm afraid I'll have to agree with @AlexJonesGotMePregnant's assessment of your technical ability.
here try this one. I right click, I click save image as.

then I get a file I can't open. it's fine for any image that lets you click to go into fullscreen. but here? no dice.

• Horrifying
Reactions: Mr. 0

Bender

I bend the truth.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
here try this one. I right click, I click save image as.

then I get a file I can't open. it's fine for any image that lets you click to go into fullscreen. but here? no dice.
Interesting, I can download it fine with Brave and it opens in ImageGlass, but when I try to reupload it as an attachment I get this error.
1583029526809.png

I can copy the full image and directly paste it into a message, download that and reupload that version with no problems, however. I guess it's some kind of encoding/decoding error that ImageGlass handles that Windows Photo Viewer doesn't, but I don't get how the image would get uploaded in the first place if XenForo's not detecting it as an image.

Edit: It's a WebP file, which Windows 7's Photo Viewer doesn't support, but all modern browsers do, which is why it displays in the browser but WPV can't open it. Apparently XenForo doesn't accept WebP files as image uploads, so I assume Null is using WebP to compress images after they're uploaded.

Get a new image viewer, ImageGlass is minimalistic and open-source, and should open those files you've been having trouble with.

Last edited:

Kosher Salt

(((NaCl)))
kiwifarms.net
I'm guessing it's your browser then. When I try:

View attachment 1167688
View attachment 1167690

I use brave browser, I'm not seeing the webp.
He's correct... it's in WebP format, but it's misidentified as a JPEG (since the name is .jpg).

Save it and open it in Notepad++. The file starts with RIFF (a generic container type), followed shortly thereafter by WEBP, and next, VP8 (or VP8L if it's a lossless image).

Other image formats are pretty easy to identify, too... a PNG will start with ‰PNG, a JPEG will have JFIF near the beginning, and GIF images will start with GIF followed by the version (e.g. GIF89a).

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
kiwifarms.net
He's correct... it's in WebP format, but it's misidentified as a JPEG (since the name is .jpg).

Save it and open it in Notepad++. The file starts with RIFF (a generic container type), followed shortly thereafter by WEBP, and next, VP8 (or VP8L if it's a lossless image).

Other image formats are pretty easy to identify, too... a PNG will start with ‰PNG, a JPEG will have JFIF near the beginning, and GIF images will start with GIF followed by the version (e.g. GIF89a).
@Trashfire Garbagefuck i stand corrected, my apologies. I've literally never see a website make this mistake before and I work with a bunch of document types for a living so it seemed too obviously exceptional to be on the server side. Mislabeling filetypes is one of the biggest nonos for webadmin.

Trashfire Garbagefuck

Hot Carl
kiwifarms.net
@Trashfire Garbagefuck i stand corrected, my apologies. I've literally never see a website make this mistake before and I work with a bunch of document types for a living so it seemed too obviously exceptional to be on the server side. Mislabeling filetypes is one of the biggest nonos for webadmin.
no worries, webp is a confusing bullshit format since they're always labeled as something else. I see it used more and more on various websites lately. I'm sure there's some way they're convenient for the site owners but they sure suck for the end user just trying to save or edit an image.

Get a new image viewer, ImageGlass is minimalistic and open-source, and should open those files you've been having trouble with.
I'm definitely gonna try that out it sounds like a good image viewer alternative.

Tags
None