Technology and things that withered on the vine. - No grapes, just whine.

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
As someone who had multiple sli/crossfire systems I'm actually glad this died. The microstutter was SHIT and there was no way to avoid it. What is the point of getting 90+ fps when every few seconds it hitches. Plus even back then lots of games didn't support it.

8800gt SLI was fucking insane perf/dollar though.
I always had good luck with dualGPU. Right now I am playing with my second Vega 64, and in the games where crossfire is supported, microstutter is barely present, and if you use freesync, its completely invisible.

We finally have the resolutions to demand higher power, the slower transistor market to make multiple GPU an appealing solution, and the tech (activesync) to fix the microstuttering, yet the whole industry has totally given up on it.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: 3119967d0c

Branchland Count

kiwifarms.net
SLI/Crossfire lives on here and there, but whatever happened to models with dual GPUs packed into a single card? They've disappeared totally.

Back in the day I had a 9800GX2, it was an inferno but damn, did Crysis look good.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Would mechanical and analog devices count?

I don't think they make (good) mechanical alarm clocks, microwave ovens with dials, or the like anymore. Could - or is - the science of mechanical engineering be - or is - developed further?

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
SLI/Crossfire lives on here and there, but whatever happened to models with dual GPUs packed into a single card? They've disappeared totally.

Back in the day I had a 9800GX2, it was an inferno but damn, did Crysis look good.
Direct3D 12 supports multiple adapters and it's gpu agnostic but the only game that I can think of that supports it is Ashes of the Singularity.

On the non-gaming side multi-GPU is thriving, not just in the data centers, in desktops as well.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
High-end monitors still do pip. It owns if you get stuck flattening computers for work.

I miss laptops that didn't have to be as light as possible. I want my 20LB indestructable brick with a metal frame and rubbery plastic case. You could cram a lot of interesting modern tech into that form factor.
seriously especially now that phones can do so much there seems like there would be more of an interest in laptops that are more towards merely portable than superlight

Basil II

my dimension is augmented
kiwifarms.net
seriously especially now that phones can do so much there seems like there would be more of an interest in laptops that are more towards merely portable than superlight
they probably wanna keep energy consumption low which is why they never seem to do anything with them.

Reactions: XYZpdq

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Remember GBA Video (cartridges with video on GameBoy Advance)?

I wonder what it would've been like if the idea had caught on.

Reactions: XYZpdq

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
Remember GBA Video (cartridges with video on GameBoy Advance)?

I wonder what it would've been like if the idea had caught on.
It was filling a niche smartphones would eventually take over. All those portable video players and portable formats(GBA video, UMD, VideoNow) from the 2000's were not going to survive once smartphones became affordable. At least 2000's kids didn't grow up on weird finger family videos.

Damn kids with their 4K finger families. In my day, we watched Spongebob in black and white without a backlight. At 144p.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
The Segway is going to end production on July 15.
I remember that hype before the reveal, it was like nothing else. People speculated that it would be a flying car or anti-gravity technology of some kind. I have to admit that I got caught up in the hype, then it turned out to be a parking meter you could ride on. It was still really cool with the balancing thing, but the backlash from the hype killed it. 'cities will have to be built around it' and so on.

Wallace

Cram it in me, baby!
kiwifarms.net
It was filling a niche smartphones would eventually take over. All those portable video players and portable formats(GBA video, UMD, VideoNow) from the 2000's were not going to survive once smartphones became affordable. At least 2000's kids didn't grow up on weird finger family videos.

Damn kids with their 4K finger families. In my day, we watched Spongebob in black and white without a backlight. At 144p.
Shortly before the iPhone and the iPod Touch, there was a video iPod that could play MP4 and H.264 videos on a 2.5" 320×240 screen. I had one of those. Used to watch cartoons that I had pulled off of my TiVo.

Bender

I bend the truth.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The PlayStation TV had a good thing going using its 3D to instead create full-screen split-screen, it's honestly a shame that tech hasn't been followed up any further. One TV, your missus is watching a Netflix show while you're playing a video game and you don't need to bother each other about whose turn it is to use the TV. That shit could've been fucking awesome for games like Yu-Gi-Oh, being able to see your hand when your opponent can only see theirs while looking at the same screen?

And then it just died a quiet death, all of that potential wasted.

I Love Beef

Bell peppers and bee- HEY WAIT A SEC WHERE'S THE B
kiwifarms.net
The PlayStation TV had a good thing going using its 3D to instead create full-screen split-screen, it's honestly a shame that tech hasn't been followed up any further. One TV, your missus is watching a Netflix show while you're playing a video game and you don't need to bother each other about whose turn it is to use the TV. That shit could've been fucking awesome for games like Yu-Gi-Oh, being able to see your hand when your opponent can only see theirs while looking at the same screen?

And then it just died a quiet death, all of that potential wasted.
Speaking of Sony products, the Playstation Portable and the Vita. I know that many console war fags are probably going to have a laugh at me, but I liked the Playstation Portable, even a bit more so than the Nintendo DS, and I had even gotten a new DS for new, free, in my lifetime. Oh sure, touch screens and innovation, I did like that, but you know what the PSP focused on? Pure core video gaming entertainment on the go with balanced optimized specs for such a portable piece of hardware. Sure, VMDs were a novelty at best, but you couldn't beat the gaming. It sucks too because Sony was head up its own ass when PSP and Vita sales were going down the toilet when the 3DS came around and took names. Sony around this time should had done what it did best: sponsor the shit out of third party creators for more classic gaming you'd find back on the original Playstation and even the Playstation 2, like sponsor platformers, off beat gems like Parappa the Rappa and fund efforts for more better made JRPGs instead of trying to please everyone. That's how they would had been able to keep its ground in the portable video game market, at least in my speculation.

DanteAlighieri

I hate commies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Battlefront 2 for the PSP was great. I think Sony could've done really well with the handheld line but their competition was Nintendo. Fucking Nintendo with their decades of handheld gaming and franchises. I can see why it struggled but I very much wish they tried to stay competitive, and it seems like Sony has pivoted to phone games to take up the mantle of the handheld niche.

Bender

I bend the truth.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of Sony products, the Playstation Portable and the Vita. I know that many console war fags are probably going to have a laugh at me, but I liked the Playstation Portable, even a bit more so than the Nintendo DS, and I had even gotten a new DS for new, free, in my lifetime. Oh sure, touch screens and innovation, I did like that, but you know what the PSP focused on? Pure core video gaming entertainment on the go with balanced optimized specs for such a portable piece of hardware. Sure, VMDs were a novelty at best, but you couldn't beat the gaming. It sucks too because Sony was head up its own ass when PSP and Vita sales were going down the toilet when the 3DS came around and took names. Sony around this time should had done what it did best: sponsor the shit out of third party creators for more classic gaming you'd find back on the original Playstation and even the Playstation 2, like sponsor platformers, off beat gems like Parappa the Rappa and fund efforts for more better made JRPGs instead of trying to please everyone. That's how they would had been able to keep its ground in the portable video game market, at least in my speculation.
The PSP had some fucking bitching games, like Burnout, Crisis Core and Dissidia/Dissidia 012 and... I dunno, the Ratchet games, I guess Killzome was alright, and that one Resistance game...?

Sony was the sole reason the Vita failed, it didn't matter how many games they released for it, charging like $20 for 8GB of storage while having every game install was a terrible decision, IMO.

Also, learn how to use paragraphs you dirty bitch.

Tags
None