Tell me about small nice towns in the USA. - Cruising U.S.A Theme

behavioral swamp thang

preparing to TRANNYPORT in 3..2..1..
kiwifarms.net
I have friends whom I often visit in Vermilion, Ohio. It's a beautiful, spotlessly clean town that sits right on the coast of Lake Erie, 15 minutes from Sandusky (home of Cedar Point), 30 minutes from Cleveland. It's filled with beautiful ports and nice beaches. Population is just over 10,000, 96% non-hispanic White, 0.3% Black. Crime is virtually non-existent.

I want to live there.
I vacationed in Vermillion awhile back. I freaking loved it. Such a hole in the wall part of the USA to get away from it all. Lake Erie is gorgeous.

Also,

Eureka Springs Arkansas

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Franklin, North Carolina is very nice, but being very mountainous it's extremely difficult and dangerous to drive on the roads if you're not used to it.

Reactions: Oscar Wildean

AnaV

I fell for bait and should get capital punishment
kiwifarms.net
I’ll throw my hat in the ring, I have some family living in Iowa, and if you want to live somewhere where people leave you alone, I’d say Iowa has some of the quietest mind your own business type people, of course thats most of the Midwest. Just don’t live near state borders or Des Moines, other than that mainland Iowa has some small cozy cities.

Mesh Gear Fox

Just some asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kalamazoo, Michigan isn't what I'd call a small town but it feels like one as much of the population there is good Dutch stock so many people are extremely polite and otherwise Mind Their Business.
It was a great place to grow up. Big enough that there were a lot of things to do, but crime is relatively low. The thing I miss the most is fall. The colors are just so beautiful and vibrant. Plus you're close to Lake Michigan so summers are great to spend on the beach (South Haven in particular).

• Winner
Reactions: Pargon

heyitsmike

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
kiwifarms.net
I am far from the first to notice how rural Southern whites will say incredibly racist shit about black people as a race
I hear far more racist shit about minority conservatives from white liberals than from rural southern whites. I don't think white liberals would "count" with them either. Nor do they "count" with me.

I got a lot of white trash, trailer park living friends and they're good people. Far better than the people who are supposedly morally superior to us.

• Agree
Reactions: Ped Xing

Deathfromabove

Very shame, much dishonor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Pacific NW (Washington and Oregon) would be well suited for a Brit since the climates are pretty similar. Seattle is an overpriced trash heap of a city and Portland's currently overrun by Antifa retards, but the latter is preferential. I might be biased since I used to live in the area, but it's really quite nice considering the plethora of outdoor activities you can do, the great food and coffee, and even a vibrant gay scene (and to top it all off, a very small black population). The small towns are very comfy as well and the people are friendly to a fault. Outside of NYC, DC, Boston, etc you're really gonna need a car since the land of the free was designed more for cars than people, but I doubt you're going to be any less worse of a driver than the average Asian female.

The PNW is a great place to live and a great place to raise a family. Clean, safe, low crime, endless outdoor things to do like you mention. Portland was once a great and affordable place to live but it's off the table now because of bay area cunts moving up there and massively raising the cost of housing. The other major cities like Eugene, Salem, Bend and Ashland are all becoming expensive too. Small towns are cheap to live in but where are you going to find decent work? You're pretty much stuck commuting to whatever shithole city you live nearest to.

clyde1VP

kiwifarms.net
the summers on the East Coast are uniformly awful. There are several cities where you dont need a car, these being New York, Boston, DC, and to some extent, Chicago. New Yorks rough and overpriced, Chicago is ok in the Downtown, and DC is probably going to revert to the hellscape it was in the 70s and 80s. Boston's your best bet, even though it's nearly as pricey as NY, and you may have to deal with the Irish lads giving you shit (actual Irish, not our homegrown diluted variety). However, if you want to live like a normal human being at an affordable price, you need to move to the suburbs, and that means learning how to drive

I would definitely go to Illinois and it's small towns like Naperville, Rockford and some others. And maybe one of the reason why - cause I have a lot of relatives over there. But even without relatives, I've recently discovered Naperville News on the web and those people and their stories about their area touched my feelings. As fast as I would get a full vacation - I would go there.

• Feels
Reactions: Coh

Coleslaw

kiwifarms.net
Everything in Kansas other than NE Kansas is full of these places. Towns so small you don't even realize that you're in a town until you see the same pastoral main street that they all have.
>ywn resettle a ghost town in Kansas and found Kiwiville

Deathfromabove

Very shame, much dishonor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Everytime I see a cute small town or area in Washington and then go to demographics it's like 40% Mexicans. Gross. Isn't the whole fucking argument that AI is going to replace simple jobs? Is fruit picking not a simple job? Why import a fucking country to pick shit.

This isn't just a rage post won't 90% of the jobs they do be automated in two decades or so?

Sped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
No, fruit picking is absolutely too complex and delicate for any robot in existence, and furthermore any hypothetically effective fruit picking robot would have to be cheaper and more flexible than a human.

Most of this talk of jobs being replaced by automation is hogwash perpetuated by techie dweebs who've never done the work they sneer at as "robot's work." Truck drivers, plumbers, even unskilled day laborers are, for the most part, safe.

Ironically, the jobs best suited to being replaced by AI are those with limited physical or creative component-- programmers, for instance.

A Weddell Seal

Patron Saint of Orca Whalers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ketchikan is lovely; there is plenty of rain and nature to enjoy, it has a rich history as Alaska's first town, and it arguably has the best network in the entire state given the fact that it is fiber-based.
1604733493235.png

Gorgeous.

Constellationzero

kiwifarms.net
I'm fascinated with history and small defunct colleges. Mount Carroll IL is the home of the former Shimer College campus. I took some pictures of it as it has been abandoned pretty much since they moved in 1978. I considered attending Shimer for a second BS when they were still shunted in the IIT campus in beautiful (safe) Chicongo.
But I feel like I dodged a YUUUGE bullet, Shimer is now at North Central collage in (Naperville?) and it isn't even a collage anymore. It's still a shitty SJW containment facility that was on OG go woke that went repeatedly broke.

1604778963546.png
1604779025742.png
1604779101824.png
1604779192509.png

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
Everytime I see a cute small town or area in Washington and then go to demographics it's like 40% Mexicans. Gross. Isn't the whole fucking argument that AI is going to replace simple jobs? Is fruit picking not a simple job? Why import a fucking country to pick shit.

This isn't just a rage post won't 90% of the jobs they do be automated in two decades or so?
Go farther east. The farming is mechanized (or "automated" if you want to be current with the language) grain there if you don't like the pickers. Over by Idaho is where people are sparse and Gleaners are plenty. It is where I'm from. If you can spin a wrench and operate heavy equipment, you'll be fine as long as you aren't an ass who picks fights.

Also, important note, in Central WA they don't hire those pickers because they are brown and cheap. They hire them because they are fucking amazing at their job and willing to move around. Go pick two tons of cherries and see how well you do. Some Mexican lady old enough to be your grandma does that shit in a day. They are skilled workers. Don't ever forget that. Show some respect.

Last edited:

Old Man Dad

kiwifarms.net
Any where in middle georgia. Atlanta has a large scene and is a short drive away. Coupled with the airport you can be anywhere in the world in hours.

Botchy Galoop

Socially Distant
kiwifarms.net
Go farther east. The farming is mechanized (or "automated" if you want to be current with the language) grain there if you don't like the pickers. Over by Idaho is where people are sparse and Gleaners are plenty. It is where I'm from. If you can spin a wrench and operate heavy equipment, you'll be fine as long as you aren't an ass who picks fights.

Also, important note, in Central WA they don't hire those pickers because they are brown and cheap. They hire them because they are fucking amazing at their job and willing to move around. Go pick two tons of cherries and see how well you do. Some Mexican lady old enough to be your grandma does that shit in a day. They are skilled workers. Don't ever forget that. Show some respect.
A big Amen to all that! Bonners Ferry, Oldtown, Ione, Metaline Falls, Kettle Falls, Colville, Chewelah, Springdale, Tonasket, Enchelium Priest River..and dont forget NW Montana...especially Kalispel. It's all Gods country
But I think we are full. Stay out!!! :)

Mr. Skeltal

Calcium fortified at your own risk
kiwifarms.net
There are a lot of charming and quaint townships in upper New England, decent laws as well. Aside from S55 in Vermont, states like New Hampshire and Maine have very good gun laws. Massachusetts, Rhode Island, upstate New York, and Connecticuit don't count, they're bugman central. You will get taxed to shit and back though.
Just avoid places like Portland, Concord, Burlington, and Montpelier - the rent is way too high there and is plagued by hipsters. Also beware the leaf peeper come autumn. Imagine every pensioner, retarded New York cityslicker, and brain-dead Californian clogging the roads each year to look at the pretty leaves. Shit gets real old real quick.

Also learn to embrace the oft forgotten 5th season, mud season. Your car will be covered in road soup for at least 3 months. If you live in rural Vermont, enjoy dirt roads.

• Informative
Reactions: A Weddell Seal

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
A big Amen to all that! Bonners Ferry, Oldtown, Ione, Metaline Falls, Kettle Falls, Colville, Chewelah, Springdale, Tonasket, Enchelium Priest River..and dont forget NW Montana...especially Kalispel. It's all Gods country
But I think we are full. Stay out!!! :)
I always struggle to explain what the Palouse is to people.

"Well, y'see there is this area as big as Rhode Island that is sorta like a prairie but it has these gigantic dunes of dirt..."

Tags
None