Tell me about something that makes you happy - life is mostly terrible but okay sometimes

Yolandi

Resident Pokemon Go expert
kiwifarms.net
I actually used to be of a similar mind - I really wanted to be an investigative journalist as a career but liked the idea of writing fiction as a kind of deeper personal fulfillment pursuit. Ironically it was a college writing workshop that just killed any confidence I had in doing that.
The weird thing about writing "classes" is that they are graded and judged by opinion, and we all know what most opinions are worth. I went to one writing workshop a few years ago and that was okay but it sucked having to pay for it, that was a better experience than the college class. I took journalism for two years in high school and that ironically made me less interested in it.

Photography was a bit like that for me. I've had three "professional" photography jobs and they were okay but I am a lot happier taking random pictures, editing them and maybe only showing my mom after the fact. Peoples' opinion can be the worst motivation killer. It sucks to feel like you can't share things as much as you would like but it helped me a lot to realize that I am happier keeping things private than being openly ridiculed by people I likely don't even care about.

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
The weird thing about writing "classes" is that they are graded and judged by opinion, and we all know what most opinions are worth. I went to one writing workshop a few years ago and that was okay but it sucked having to pay for it, that was a better experience than the college class. I took journalism for two years in high school and that ironically made me less interested in it.

Photography was a bit like that for me. I've had three "professional" photography jobs and they were okay but I am a lot happier taking random pictures, editing them and maybe only showing my mom after the fact. Peoples' opinion can be the worst motivation killer. It sucks to feel like you can't share things as much as you would like but it helped me a lot to realize that I am happier keeping things private than being openly ridiculed by people I likely don't even care about.
The dumbest thing about that workshop was that I felt like I took away nothing from it. I actually got high marks on my submissions (even a B on my poetry submission and I hate poetry) but no worthwhile critique. It destroyed any confidence I had in my creative writing because the Prof seemed to be just giving me participation trophies. Everyone was gushing about how much they enjoyed the workshop and liked the professor and I was angry and crushed.

Chichan

kiwifarms.net
  1. Getting a 5lb bag of Trolli sour gummy worms or the regular bag of Coastal Bay ones.
  2. Going on a nature walk.
  3. Being useful or helping someone.
  4. Free samples or free food in general.
  5. Happy babies or kids because its how they should be.

• Feels
Reactions: Sprig of Parsley

Smaug's Smokey Hole

don't step on me
kiwifarms.net
The weird thing about writing "classes" is that they are graded and judged by opinion, and we all know what most opinions are worth.
Do it because you want to and don't force it, there's a reason stream of consciousness exists(there's also a reason for why it sucks). Don't expect it to be good either but don't fear it being bad, that gives you time to polish.

Many years ago I used to write for money, I've degraded tremendously and this isn't my first language so I will use that as a excuse/crutch, but what I used to do to keep writing was emailing/contacting absolutely random people on the internet. If I could engage a complete stranger(pro-tip: present as male, play in hard mode) in my tales of suspense while they wrote back in earnest detailing their thoughts then things were good. I met a lot of people IRL that way in the 2000-2010 and I learned a lot of things, like how does this deaf girl experience the music she likes but can't really hear.
When Taylor Swift refused to play at the school for the deaf it pinged my heart a bit, I understand why those girls were sad.

I still write/edit for money, it's obviously not in english and my name is never attached to it so that is my excuse right now, but you know... If you like playing chess and thinking about chess, you might not like carving chess pieces for 8 hours a day, every day. Doing something for pay isn't the same as doing something for fun or for interest. People have a fantasy of the glory and fame at the end of work, before any work is done, instead of thinking of the work involved.
In my case I might get a say in how the chess pieces comes out, that can be a big victory. Many musicians make a living as musicians by doing sessions and teaching classes, expecting to put out a full fat zef novel is unrealistic.

DrJonesHat

A dashing and sophisticated young man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I am always happy, so nothing can make me happy, as I already am. Happiness is mandatory.

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
Do it because you want to and don't force it, there's a reason stream of consciousness exists(there's also a reason for why it sucks). Don't expect it to be good either but don't fear it being bad, that gives you time to polish.

Many years ago I used to write for money, I've degraded tremendously and this isn't my first language so I will use that as a excuse/crutch, but what I used to do to keep writing was emailing/contacting absolutely random people on the internet. If I could engage a complete stranger(pro-tip: present as male, play in hard mode) in my tales of suspense while they wrote back in earnest detailing their thoughts then things were good. I met a lot of people IRL that way in the 2000-2010 and I learned a lot of things, like how does this deaf girl experience the music she likes but can't really hear.
When Taylor Swift refused to play at the school for the deaf it pinged my heart a bit, I understand why those girls were sad.

I still write/edit for money, it's obviously not in english and my name is never attached to it so that is my excuse right now, but you know... If you like playing chess and thinking about chess, you might not like carving chess pieces for 8 hours a day, every day. Doing something for pay isn't the same as doing something for fun or for interest. People have a fantasy of the glory and fame at the end of work, before any work is done, instead of thinking of the work involved.
In my case I might get a say in how the chess pieces comes out, that can be a big victory. Many musicians make a living as musicians by doing sessions and teaching classes, expecting to put out a full fat zef novel is unrealistic.
The thing is, I have at least one "idea" for something kind of sci-fi-ish and I've been trying to figure out how to make it coalesce into something readable. I've also been trying to figure out if it's an "accidental copycat" of another idea. I realize it's a silly hangup to have but I don't want to be the author who puts a lot of work into something, submits it for review and gets told "You do know this is basically X novel/short story right?" and consequently gets nowhere.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

don't step on me
kiwifarms.net
The thing is, I have at least one "idea" for something kind of sci-fi-ish and I've been trying to figure out how to make it coalesce into something readable. I've also been trying to figure out if it's an "accidental copycat" of another idea. I realize it's a silly hangup to have but I don't want to be the author who puts a lot of work into something, submits it for review and gets told "You do know this is basically X novel/short story right?" and consequently gets nowhere.
Maybe this can be of use to you.
Try to write short scenes, you probably have an idea of some things that happens, or some dialogue/event, or a character interaction, write those small things down. A bigger thing will be made up of smaller things, so break any of those down, avoid black boxes like that. Nothing have to be firmly connected to each other yet.
Maybe you know how things start or what happens in the beginning, same with the middle and the end, just put everything you have on post-it* notes and continue doing so. If you don't really know the start or the middle or the end, no problem, you can get to that later. Whatever it is you have written down you can then start arranging as a timeline/layout of the story. There will be big holes but that's no problem, this is partially about finding those and putting things there.
These shorter notes makes it easy to move things around and you can easily add ideas and see if there's a place for them or remove other ideas if it's just too much trouble to get them to play well with everything else.

It's not writing a novel but I think it will give you a clearer picture of what you are doing, the flow of your idea AND the feeling that you're actually doing something instead of letting it wither on the vine. It's a start and it is not as daunting. After that, flesh things out, maybe write out 10-15 pages of a thing from your timeline, see how that works out.

*post-it notes used as an example, just find a way to easily arrange "notes" including putting things on the sidelines or pull them in from the sidelines if it looks like there's a place for them.

Fat Pikachu

Is your privilege running? You better go check it!
kiwifarms.net
Coming into my own thread to document this but I've gotten into whittling/woodcarving recently and today I made a pair of chopsticks with a 1.5" spiral at the very top and I can't go to sleep because I keep looking at them in my hands and feeling so proud of myself for once. Like I just picked a stick up off the ground and made something useful, it doesn't even matter to me that they'll have to dry for a while before they're functional.

S4D4K0

あら!
kiwifarms.net
I am very happy that there are fleets of TRUE and HONEST DB601/605 BF-109s getting airborne again.
Even the plane looks kinda happy. Long live Luftwaffle.

Reactions: Fat Pikachu

Krimjob

kiwifarms.net
Writing. Gotten really into creative writing lately. Still have shit confidence because I can't figure out a proper flow, like how much details are too much and so on.

But I'm enjoying it, currently trying out both fiction and some more opinionated stuff. Not completely new to writing though, been working for most of my life writing copy (PR/content for companies, blogs and such). I think one of the more "exciting" parts about creative writing is how vastly different it feels. I feel uncomfortable, in a good way.

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
kiwifarms.net
"Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be." - Abraham Lincoln
It's cliche as all hell to quote honest Abe, but goddamn if this isn't true. Truly internalizing this is about the best thing you can do for your outlook―and by extension happiness.

• Feels
Reactions: Piss

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
Actually got a response on an application and have lined up an interview. Fuck yes. 2/3 of the way there.
"Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be." - Abraham Lincoln
It's cliche as all hell to quote honest Abe, but goddamn if this isn't true. Truly internalizing this is about the best thing you can do for your outlook―and by extension happiness.
Honest Abe isn't wrong, but there are things I don't want to be happy about. If I'm upset, if I'm angry, that means I'm motivated to change it. If I'm happy, I'm complacent. I want to be angry not because I want others to see me as angry but because I want to light a fire under my own ass.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino