Temtems Thread - The latest (and lamest) attempt to steal Pokemon's thunder / Currently has a dwindling player base

Questionable Ceviche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I've been trying to understand the appeal of this game, and I don't get it. It apes the pokemon mechanics which themselves are a holdover from the limitations of the Gameboy over 20 years ago. You play as a child with a team of 6 monsters with 4 moves each, the same stat breakdowns, very similar type chart, the same catch mechanics, RNG encounters in tall grass, 8 gym leaders to defeat. It's the same shit all over again except it's multiplayer online.

It doesn't seem like they're bringing their own ideas to the table or adding anything of value. They didn't try to do anything new or different with the formula, took no risks, and their entire brand identity is based on being a clone of an existing franchise. There's no overarching style guide for any of this shit; it's an inconsistent mess. Why not just go play one of the other free pokemon MMOs out there or one of the multitude of romhacks? I feel zero desire to pay for a game that offers nothing new or different from the herd of other pokemon clones and hacks out there. I was a little :optimistic: when it was first announced to have a monster collection type of experience that built onto the pokemon formula but took it in a different direction. It doesn't seem like a love letter to pokemon fans so much as a cheap xerox copy.

Jeffrey Epstein

kiwifarms.net
So I've been trying to understand the appeal of this game, and I don't get it. It apes the pokemon mechanics which themselves are a holdover from the limitations of the Gameboy over 20 years ago. You play as a child with a team of 6 monsters with 4 moves each, the same stat breakdowns, very similar type chart, the same catch mechanics, RNG encounters in tall grass, 8 gym leaders to defeat. It's the same shit all over again except it's multiplayer online.

It doesn't seem like they're bringing their own ideas to the table or adding anything of value. They didn't try to do anything new or different with the formula, took no risks, and their entire brand identity is based on being a clone of an existing franchise. There's no overarching style guide for any of this shit; it's an inconsistent mess. Why not just go play one of the other free pokemon MMOs out there or one of the multitude of romhacks? I feel zero desire to pay for a game that offers nothing new or different from the herd of other pokemon clones and hacks out there. I was a little :optimistic: when it was first announced to have a monster collection type of experience that built onto the pokemon formula but took it in a different direction. It doesn't seem like a love letter to pokemon fans so much as a cheap xerox copy.
dragon quest is also suffering in my opinion. If you have particularly nostalgic concepts, making them bubbly and cutesy with a new coat of paint every few years just isn't addressing the foundation. I think that the tropes and idiosyncrasies which are bound to these and certain other franchises need to grow in such a way that they are not able to be considered 'generic,' because the classic hero's journey on display here becomes generic if you don't create new and interesting things and avoid the blandness. Sometimes the solution is to go back to the retro, other times it's to be aggressive with experimentation. I think that for example a game like Mortal Kombat doesn't have many more iterations of better graphics and some added fatalities; they would need to go back to the drawing board for mechanics and stylistic decisions at some point to make it fresh again. Same thing for monster collectathons, (if you were doing this first and it was your original concept, how would you design it?). I think that the turn based combat could use a lot more activity and variety in these types of games because traditional turn based combat is too static and not engaging enough. What if there were a monster collecting roguelike? they should do that.

Questionable Ceviche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
dragon quest is also suffering in my opinion. If you have particularly nostalgic concepts, making them bubbly and cutesy with a new coat of paint every few years just isn't addressing the foundation. I think that the tropes and idiosyncrasies which are bound to these and certain other franchises need to grow in such a way that they are not able to be considered 'generic,' because the classic hero's journey on display here becomes generic if you don't create new and interesting things and avoid the blandness. Sometimes the solution is to go back to the retro, other times it's to be aggressive with experimentation. I think that for example a game like Mortal Kombat doesn't have many more iterations of better graphics and some added fatalities; they would need to go back to the drawing board for mechanics and stylistic decisions at some point to make it fresh again. Same thing for monster collectathons, (if you were doing this first and it was your original concept, how would you design it?). I think that the turn based combat could use a lot more activity and variety in these types of games because traditional turn based combat is too static and not engaging enough. What if there were a monster collecting roguelike? they should do that.
There was a monster tamer roguelike released for the PS1 and also ported to the GBC called Azure Dreams. You fight through a randomly generated roguelike-style tower where you capture and train monsters to fight for you. The GBC version was pretty fun, and I recommend it if you like that style of gameplay and understand the limitations of a handheld game from 1999.

• Feels
Reactions: Jeffrey Epstein

Dunsparce

Out of Control
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There was a monster tamer roguelike released for the PS1 and also ported to the GBC called Azure Dreams. You fight through a randomly generated roguelike-style tower where you capture and train monsters to fight for you. The GBC version was pretty fun, and I recommend it if you like that style of gameplay and understand the limitations of a handheld game from 1999.
The PS1 version had town-building and dating-sim elements for the hub world, while the GBC scraped those and added a bunch of new monsters to recruit. those are the primary differences besides the graphics and sound(since there is quite the gulf in power between the two systems)

Disc

A Dubious Disc indeed.
kiwifarms.net
@CybrRobotnik, we could possibly get a mod to edit my first comment to have links to any additional posts you want to add.

There's another game doing this 'Knockoff Nintendo game' thing. Hokko Life, being an Animal Crossing knockoff.

I've gotta say, with their oversized heads, Hokko Life's animals look like fursuits and seem a bit less expressive. It's got an emphasis on player-created content, but I feel like this will suffer the classic fate of Why We Can't Have Nice Things.

Amusingly, Kotaku is seemingly a lot less interested in Hokko Life despite being supportive of Temtem.

I dunno what they'd do if they ever got an anime for Temtem... The game's story kinda sucks.
It's like the Obi-wan Series, except powered on pure spite rather than just a need for money. It'd make some great 'what went wrong' youtube videos a year later.

You're not wrong.

The only reason this game is as praised as it is is because Sword and Shield are seen as weaker games. If this was released in the wake of any other Pokemon title, it'd be rightfully slaughtered.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
@CybrRobotnik, we could possibly get a mod to edit my first comment to have links to any additional posts you want to add.

There's another game doing this 'Knockoff Nintendo game' thing. Hokko Life, being an Animal Crossing knockoff.

I've gotta say, with their oversized heads, Hokko Life's animals look like fursuits and seem a bit less expressive. It's got an emphasis on player-created content, but I feel like this will suffer the classic fate of Why We Can't Have Nice Things.

Amusingly, Kotaku is seemingly a lot less interested in Hokko Life despite being supportive of Temtem.

It's like the Obi-wan Series, except powered on pure spite rather than just a need for money. It'd make some great 'what went wrong' youtube videos a year later.

You're not wrong.

The only reason this game is as praised as it is is because Sword and Shield are seen as weaker games. If this was released in the wake of any other Pokemon title, it'd be rightfully slaughtered.
Don’t discount the mileage it’s getting from the woke crowd after the bullshit controversy over Pokèmon’s “Are you a boy or a girl?” character gender choice.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
The only thing it has going for it is the super customizable furniture. If they really want to draw in players, they have to avoid Temtems mistake of "basically just X, but with Y added".

CybrRobotnik

Master of shitposting
kiwifarms.net

Not the first AC knockoff I know of.
61NG-KowLJL_my+sims+ds.jpg

Well, it must be good then, Kotaku only likes politically correct garbage like temtem and when something's extremely edgy, Kotaku alongside Polygon and all the other garbage gaming journalists will start lashing out on the game claiming it sucks and/or it is morally wrong. Well, the latter didn't happen, but it's hard to be edgy with an AC clone anyways, you must try to pull that off.

Disc

A Dubious Disc indeed.
kiwifarms.net
Temtem interest continues to crater - including on this forum. For two days now, the last two before this weekend, it didn't break 10k players. And that's an entirely kosher fail - the game's not had any downtime or anything of the sort over the two days.
View attachment 1143540
The devs have even gone mostly quiet, not posting for a few days before revealing they've saved about 80 people from a problem they introduced.
View attachment 1143543

For context, the teleport 'feature' (which a lot of people didn't enjoy, as it would take them from 'right with the main story' to 'way back in some one-off corner of the map' was introduced two weeks ago, in January. These poor bastards have spent more than half of the game's lifespan locked.

Overly bloated video.
TL;DR, he's slightly more optimistic, but this is generally a slower version of all the critique we've said in this thread. Read the first two or three pages and you've got 90% of what he said.

OddEyes

kiwifarms.net
Temtem interest continues to crater - including on this forum. For two days now, the last two before this weekend, it didn't break 10k players. And that's an entirely kosher fail - the game's not had any downtime or anything of the sort over the two days.
View attachment 1143540
The devs have even gone mostly quiet, not posting for a few days before revealing they've saved about 80 people from a problem they introduced.
View attachment 1143543

For context, the teleport 'feature' (which a lot of people didn't enjoy, as it would take them from 'right with the main story' to 'way back in some one-off corner of the map' was introduced two weeks ago, in January. These poor bastards have spent more than half of the game's lifespan locked.

TL;DR, he's slightly more optimistic, but this is generally a slower version of all the critique we've said in this thread. Read the first two or three pages and you've got 90% of what he said.
Attachments aren't showing up.

As for the video, yeah he's optimistic, but he's not wrong and does bring up a few interesting points - Like the comparison of rivals with Max. I thought it was a fun little romp there.

SnowBall

God Tier Problematic
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I notice people rarely talk about TemTem anymore. Though yet again everyone is busy dealing with the shit show of Pokemon Home.

• Agree
Reactions: Thiletonomics

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
I notice people rarely talk about TemTem anymore. Though yet again everyone is busy dealing with the shit show of Pokemon Home.
As much as PC gaymers might want to convince themselves and gullible publishers, PC games do not have the reach of mainstream console releases, and never will.

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net
To be fair, what else is there to say. Either you think the game is a shitshow and you're giving the same criticism everyone else is, you like the game and highlight the same things you like as everyone else, or you put temtem on a pedestal and treat it as the second coming because pokemon hurt your feelings. Until the game adds something new or a new shitshow begins, theres not much to say.

Disc

A Dubious Disc indeed.
kiwifarms.net
To be fair, what else is there to say. Either you think the game is a shitshow and you're giving the same criticism everyone else is, you like the game and highlight the same things you like as everyone else, or you put temtem on a pedestal and treat it as the second coming because pokemon hurt your feelings. Until the game adds something new or a new shitshow begins, theres not much to say.
And just as we're saying this, Crema finally rolls out a new patch to look at.

Some notes:

The Saipark feature is the only new thing introduced... and it's ridiculously stingy.
1581949239208.png

So, to start, the star rate is shiny/luma rate. These two temtem (which are normally much harder to find, to be fair) have double the shiny rate most temtem have. That sounds good, until you read further and realise they nerfed the Luma shiny rate overall, which means that rather than going from 6k to 3k, they've gone from 6k to 4k. Sneaky and totally not at all underhanded. And if you're not willing to grind out 4000 encounters, there is literally no benefit besides a bit of dex help. 10/10 generosity guys.

Contrast with Pokemon's raid rotation, where Pokemon have several maxed IVs by default and the events help you get extremely rare variants, and even boost shiny rates.

The initial fee to get 5 Saicards is... 3500 pansun?! A normal temcard costs 15 pansun, and a temcard+, the best version available, costs 80. These cost seven fucking hundred each, which means that you're basically guaranteed to be working at a loss in terms of price. (The level cap is currently 48, which means you'd have to max out Temtem to even stand a chance.) And not only does the price increase if you want to order more, any unused cards will expire if you don't use them in the week!

The vault sounds like an extremely exploitable feature, so like with trading, they add a huge lockout to resets if you're using it. What's the point of having a vault that persists between resets if we can't use it between resets?

Unrelated, but the Freetem reward is also definitely grindier. It's gone from 200 in the first week to 275. Fuck that shit.

Other notes that stood out:
  • Stat boost animations made faster, good. Not gonna talk about bug-fixes either, because that's generally very early access sort of stuff. Feels nitpicky.
  • The resell price of all items is reduced... why? This just feels friggin' petty. You didn't get a massive boon of money from reselling things, and in a lot of cases you need those items anyway. If players are doing a significant amount of reselling items, that means they're desperate for cash - why are you making it HARDER AGAIN?
  • To sum up the telomere hacks, temtem have 7 values called SVs, that are meant to represent genetic differences. They go from 1-50, and a Telomere hack improves one of these values by one point. It makes some sense that, in process of genetically improving Temtem, you might make them more sterile. The problem is that fertility only goes from 8 to 0. So you are sacrificing one of those valuable 8 points to improve a temtem with 234/350 svs to one with 235/350 svs.
  • The tint items are worth 6000 each, and offer players at least a little bit of 'free' customisation. I can guarantee without even looking that the replacements are comparatively worthless.
Get ready for salt!
1581951342300.png

1581951404702.png

1581952464815.png

Anyone have bets on when rigid gender tems vs. gender fluidity would be brought up?

1581951496252.png

'Stop making your game less fun' I think beats Lockstin's record for destroying temtem in the smallest number of words.

1581951814942.png

Ratio'd on their own subreddit, wow.

1581952115444.png

1581952351585.png

Oh my god they're not even guaranteed catches! Temtem what the fuck?

EDIT:
Unrelated to this, I've just realised that Mangakamen straight up read the thread. How? Because he used one of my images for his video. Specifically, Happy Saku in a volcano. Here's the timestamp. I ain't mad, I think it's the first time something I've made made it to youtube.
My image
1581953963805.png

His version
1581953985618.png

The two overlaid
1581954035937.png

I'm more amused than anything, tbh.

Last edited:

CybrRobotnik

Master of shitposting
kiwifarms.net
EDIT:
Unrelated to this, I've just realised that Mangakamen straight up read the thread. How? Because he used one of my images for his video. Specifically, Happy Saku in a volcano. Here's the timestamp. I ain't mad, I think it's the first time something I've made made it to youtube.
He must lurk here because it gives him important information/dirt about the game to which he can criticise it. His previous video wasn't completely on point. Also I knew he was lurking around here way before you made this comment because the comments he made in his new temtem video specifically are eerily similar to what was said here.

Honestly though, I never cared about that guy before and rarely ever watched his videos before, not because of the content of his videos, but because I wanted to stay far the fuck away from Furries, not knowing who is cool (Rags, somewhat) and who is degenerate (https://kiwifarms.net/forums/animal-control.83/) and I mean I mention Rags here, but he doesn't make it evident to ppl that he's a Furry, so there's no shame watching him. Other furries like Pkrussl and Digby I just can't, even if the stuff they make is okay.

Tags
None