Terminator: Resistance (Terminator Games Thread) - Hacking is as easy as Frogger

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
I'm surprised they're even still around after that game bombed.
I've long had a theory about that game. A few years ago, I was at a dave and Busters and I saw someone playing a Rambo arcade game. The segment they were playing was clearly based on the third one since it was in a desert. anyways my theory is that the console game was a half assed port of the arcade game.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
I've long had a theory about that game. A few years ago, I was at a dave and Busters and I saw someone playing a Rambo arcade game. The segment they were playing was clearly based on the third one since it was in a desert. anyways my theory is that the console game was a half assed port of the arcade game.
I don't think it is. I've played the arcade game and it's just you with a machine gun with a grenade launcher blowing everything up. The console game is on rails like the arcade game, but it's based on the first 3 movies and has a shitload of quick-time events that aren't present in the arcade game.

The arcade game also looks better, but most late PS2 games also looked better.

Poe-Shen Zcela

kiwifarms.net
I almost forgot about this game:

This was the very first Terminator game Bethesda put out, in 1991. Extremely primitive and looks like a chore to play, but for the time it seems like like it would've been a technically impressive game, especially for diehard Terminator nerds. You can play as either Kyle Reese or the T-800 as you navigate through a computer-generated facsimile of Los Angeles, filled with houses you can explore as you drive through the city and look for Sarah.

What's cool is you seem to be able to have nearly endless interactions with a living town. You'll be asked to leave the bank and have to engage the police at one point in the video, taking damage and having to get away. To get around, it looks like you can find a payphone or something and look through the yellow pages to find local businesses, including banks, emergency care, and rifle ranges. The attention to detail looks excellent.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just saw the release date on Wikipedia:

Terminator: Resistance is a first-person shooter action video game, set to be released on November 15, 2019 in Europe and Australia, and on December 3, 2019 in North America.

What fucking reetard thought to release almost a month later in North America? Pirating this for sure just for spite now.

Reactions: Poe-Shen Zcela

Poe-Shen Zcela

kiwifarms.net
The Bethesda Terminator games were groundbreaking at the time but aged pretty badly. Obligatory Civvie video that I'm surprised hasn't been posted already:

I played a bit of SkyNET not too recently. It really does play like an open-world Bethesda game. I only got as far as clearing the first driving segment. Technically impressive, but buggy, dull-sounding and somewhat of a chore to play. I feel like you could make a more exciting game by making a TC mod for Duke3D. They already have the slick weapon sprites.

Sadly Terminator: Resistance seems to be following in its footsteps. I wish somebody would make a Terminator game like Dark Forces, that would be cash.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
I almost forgot about this game:
I remember that game, it was basically a very early GTA in some regards. You could steal cars, rob banks, buy/steal equipment in arms stores/army depots and general stores etc. As Reese you had to protect Sarah and deal with the T800, as T800 you had to track her down and deal with Reese. The choice how to exactly do that was up to you and there wasn't any set progression. If you'd run around like rambo and shoot at everything that moves, you'd also inspire a police response, just like GTA. Way, way ahead of it's time when open world wasn't really a thing and had a lot of hand-crafted assembler code to even be able to run on the machines from then and do the 3D stuff. Bethesda weren't a bunch of hacks then.

I'd love an Terminator/GTA set in an wonderfully designed 80s LA, with modern graphics, or just a decent one that happens in the future and is corageous enough to leave the typical characters behind. I've given up any hope to ever see anything interesting out of that franchise ever again though, to be honest.

Last edited:

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember that game, it was basically a very early GTA in some regards. You could steal cars, rob banks, buy/steal equipment in arms stores/army depots and general stores etc. As Reese you had to protect Sarah and deal with the T800, as T800 you had to track her down and deal with Reese. The choice how to exactly do that was up to you and there wasn't any set progression. If you'd run around like rambo and shoot at everything that moves, you'd also inspire a police response, just like GTA. Way, way ahead of it's time when open world wasn't really a thing and had a lot of hand-crafted assembler code to even be able to run on the machines from then and do the 3D stuff. Bethesda weren't a bunch of hacks then.

I'd love an Terminator/GTA set in an wonderfully designed 80s LA, with modern graphics, or just a decent one that happens in the future and is corageous enough to leave the typical characters behind. I've given up any hope to ever see anything interesting out of that franchise ever again though, to be honest.
Dark Fate has basically killed the franchise.

• Feels
Reactions: Poe-Shen Zcela

Poe-Shen Zcela

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but it's been dead before. It just keeps getting back up.

Now it's nothing more than a Chinese moneymaking scheme. No way it makes enough money stateside, as with Genisys.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, when you won in that Terminator GTA game as T800 there was an end screen where the T800 declared his primary objective complete and with having no further purpose, initiated his self-destruct sequence. In Dark Fate he apparently becomes some sort of interior designer? TFW Bethesda has the more logical writing. That is not a situation you want to find yourself in.

I remember a fan-fiction website from the early (mid? late?) 00s where somebody went into detail about the future war and I even remember it was written very well, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called though. Should've hired that dude.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Good catch, I forgot to mention that one. That would've been the Batman NES of Terminator had Sunsoft retained the license. Then again, early footage of the game when it was called Terminator looked a lot different than the final product. From a 1989 entertainment expo:

Pac N Sac Dave made a romhack of Journey to Silius that attempts to turn it back into a Terminator game by changing enemy sprites and the opening cutscene:

The website's a little weird. You have to go to the side menu and check the Home button to get a long drop-down menu in order to get to the download page.

But anyways, Journey to Silius is worth a play on its own:

I tried the rom hack of Journey to Silius and the sprite work is great but they fucked with the gameplay in the worst way. Not trying to flex my l33t gamer skills but I love Journey to Silius. I mention it here: https://kiwifarms.net/threads/run-n-gun-games.62243/

It's one of those games that you can beat in about 20-30 minutes that I try to beat every year or so along with Earthworm Jim 1, Shatterhand, Contra and Super C, and shit like that. I like difficult but relatively short games. That 30-60 minute to complete if you're good sweet spot. So I like to think that I know what I'm talking about.

In the rom hack they changed the bullets from ping pong balls to more realistic bullets and that's fine but it fucks with the hit-detection. It's much harder to hit enemies. You notice it especially in the 2nd boss who has a big glowing ball that you jump and shoot at. In the rom hack most of the time my bullets would not hit the weak spot. I fired up the original game just now and had zero issue hitting that weak spot.

Also there seems to be some kind of input delay. Your character will just not jump sometimes.

A for effort as the sprite work was neat but I have to give it an F because they made a great game worse where it counts most.

Poe-Shen Zcela

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, when you won in that Terminator GTA game as T800 there was an end screen where the T800 declared his primary objective complete and with having no further purpose, initiated his self-destruct sequence. In Dark Fate he apparently becomes some sort of interior designer? TFW Bethesda has the more logical writing. That is not a situation you want to find yourself in.

I remember a fan-fiction website from the early (mid? late?) 00s where somebody went into detail about the future war and I even remember it was written very well, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called though. Should've hired that dude.
Would it be this guy by any chance?

Poe-Shen Zcela

kiwifarms.net
No problem. I found him around the time Genisys came out, and the amount of detail and presentation in each page is compelling. I think he sourced most of his content from the novelizations, so I'm not sure what's fanfiction and what's official Canon, but either way, I've always thought it was ready to adapt to the big screen. The SkyNet origin page alone is rich ground for a techno-horror thriller.

Poe-Shen Zcela

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I looked into her Wiki bio briefly. Don't have much of an opinion about her, except that she seemed to hand the franchise over to her brother David Ellison at Skydance.

I once thought these were relatives of Harlan Ellison, the author who claimed James Cameron & Gale Hurd ripped off his books & sued them. If that were true, then this whole situation with Terminator would've been poetic justice. I guess it still is.

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
You know, the original footage of the new Resistance game was really bad, but the most recent game play trailers showing off the combat and exploration aspects are looking pretty decent. I don't think it's going to be anything amazing, but it looks like it could be a pretty okay budget game for fans of the franchise.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino