Terrors of the Deep -

Bugaboo

I have to kill fast and bullets too slow
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dark Mirror Hole said:

Sea Gooseberry! *_*
Oh shit, it's a living rave party!

Our friend the dome head fish. Guess where it's eyes are, guess.

They're those green things in it's head
[youtube]7AopyN1EQZ4[/youtube]

Reactions: Gog & Magog

Tubular Monkey

Very much Greatly extroverted
kiwifarms.net
Somehow, creepy marine life just doesn't disturb me like land creatures. I think they're all fascinating. It's a pity we don't have examples of prehistoric terrors like the Megalodon.

D

DV 259

kiwifarms.net
Goblin sharks! I love goblin sharks! I used to try to read as much about them as I could when I was little.

Gulper eels also fascinate me:

And dumpling squid aren't terrors, and aren't really even in "the deep" but they're adorable.

Attachments

Night Terror

this ice shall be your doom
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Can't find a photo, but Prince Axel's Wonderfish is an interesting anglerfish that has its lure dangling from the back of its throat, like a pair of glowing tonsils.

Reactions: MerriedxReldnahc

Bugaboo

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Shit guys look at this thing

I dunno what it is but I want to be it's friend :biggrin:

Bonus:

WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD MOTHERFUCKER

And the very cute slender oarfish

I don't think they've ever gotten a pic of one swimming around in it's home. Everyone I see is dead :(

I found more of that weird fish thing

D

DV 259

kiwifarms.net
There's this:
Pigbutt worm

This one looks like it's smiling!

And I think this and that walking fish should be friends.

Attachments

Bugaboo

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Da fuck is this thing?

Speaking of happy marine life eels always look pretty happy

And puffer fish are always happy

And then sometimes cute things happen under da sea (the fish attached to the shark are actually cleaning him, this is good)

D

DV 259

kiwifarms.net
Magnapinna squid recently discovered in the Gulf of Mexico.

When I used to work at a pet store, I took care of the saltwater fish and whenever we got puffers, they always were the most personable. One porcupine puffer that we had for a while eventually recognized me as "Foodbringer" and would swim to the surface and follow my hand around the tank when I was wiping algae. One dogface puffer used to show its teeth whenever people would come up to look at him.

Bugaboo

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
mortal_wombat said:
Magnapinna squid recently discovered in the Gulf of Mexico.

When I used to work at a pet store, I took care of the saltwater fish and whenever we got puffers, they always were the most personable. One porcupine puffer that we had for a while eventually recognized me as "Foodbringer" and would swim to the surface and follow my hand around the tank when I was wiping algae. One dogface puffer used to show its teeth whenever people would come up to look at him.
Puffers become super friendly to their owners over time, those cute lil' things are just bursting with personalty. I'm going to be getting a dwarf puffer fish very soon which is super exciting.

Bugaboo

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Niachu said:
I would've wrote about The Bloop but science has debunked it as "ice quakes." Lame.
I wanted it to be a bunch of whales having a farting contest :(

D

DV 259

kiwifarms.net
revengeofphil said:
Niachu said:
I would've wrote about The Bloop but science has debunked it as "ice quakes." Lame.
I'm going to believe that the "ice quakes" were caused by whales having a farting contest too close to icebergs.

How do we feel about axolotls? They're not terrors, don't really live in deep water or saltwater, but they're insanely adorable and also look like they're smiling. They're not fish either, but still adorable.

Anyone know what this is? I kinda think it's pretty great. I presume it's either a kind of shark or chimaera, but I couldn't find any info about it. Not that I really looked very hard ...

Bugaboo

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
mortal_wombat said:
revengeofphil said:
Niachu said:
I'm going to believe that the "ice quakes" were caused by whales having a farting contest too close to icebergs.

How do we feel about axolotls? They're not terrors, don't really live in deep water or saltwater, but they're insanely adorable and also look like they're smiling. They're not fish either, but still adorable.

Anyone know what this is? I kinda think it's pretty great. I presume it's either a kind of shark or chimaera, but I couldn't find any info about it. Not that I really looked very hard ...
Axolotls? Love em'
They're the happiest perpetual salamander larva ever to not set foot on land.
AND THEY CAN REGROW THEIR LIMBS, THAT'S SWEET.

As for the other thing it looks vaugely like a sawfish but I've never seen it before in my life. Definetly not a shark though. I'll figure out what it is in the morning and get back to you guys on it.

The Hunter

Border Hopping Taco Bender
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
revengeofphil said:
mortal_wombat said:
Axolotls? Love em'
They're the happiest perpetual salamander larva ever to not set foot on land.
AND THEY CAN REGROW THEIR LIMBS, THAT'S SWEET.

thankee

D

DV 259

kiwifarms.net
The fish with the weird nose washed up on shore after the tsunami, or so I gathered, if that helps. All I could find were pictures but no description. :(

I miss having axolotls! I'm hoping to get some more soon. I used to have for of them (two wildtype, one leucistic and one golden albino), but that turned into 2504 after three of them turned out to be female. I have a bunch of pictures of them if anyone wants to see 'em. They were so personable and happy all the time!

One of the females, Satchel, when she was still a baby.

Attachments

Saney

Slayer of the Love-Shys
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Niachu said:
Awww...I was hoping it was the Leviathan. :(

Bugaboo

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
mortal_wombat said:
revengeofphil said:
Niachu said:

Found it.
It's a thing called a "Ghost Shark" but it's not actually a shark. It's one of the most primitive fish still alive today. The fish you posted has a long as shit nose but that's probably because it's spread out while in live fish they flop around.

These are all different subspecies but they all share the same traits of big bulging eyes, a sharp dorsal fin, two pairs of fan like fins and their floppy nose.

Reactions: LateNightMuffin
D

DV 259

kiwifarms.net
Now that I have some time (and saying "fuck it" to the TV remote I've been trying to program all afternoon,) you're right - ghost shark! And as I found out - also called chimaeras or spookfish. The one I posted is apparently a baby paddlenose chimaera/spookfish. The ones you posted are probably adults.

Either way, adding it to my list of fun things I want to hug.

Then there's this fancy sea butterfly:

Bugaboo

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
mortal_wombat said:
Now that I have some time (and saying "fuck it" to the TV remote I've been trying to program all afternoon,) you're right - ghost shark! And as I found out - also called chimaeras or spookfish. The one I posted is apparently a baby paddlenose chimaera/spookfish. The ones you posted are probably adults.

Either way, adding it to my list of fun things I want to hug.

Then there's this fancy sea butterfly:
Here's a sea butterfly without a shell

Purty.

For reference here's a sawfish

They're both closely related to rays (with the sawfish being a ray) and they both have stupid noses.
The sawfish uses his to detect potential snacks swimming around

Reactions: Gog & Magog
Tags
None