Terrors of the Deep -

Saney

Slayer of the Love-Shys
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The best I can remember is that I think it was made in the UK...but that's doesn't really narrow it down by much.

Panama

kiwifarms.net
Unfortunatley, I have no idea who produced it, (I was something like 5 when I watched it) and the channel it was on no longer exists...I'm beginning to think this show was a spinoff of Candle Cove...
Holy shit, it is a British Candle Cove. I have a vague memory of that show too. I was in the UK for a year when I was a small child, and I watched some children's show like that. There was something else that I think was part of that show that scared me as a kid. There was a villain, a man with antlers that was some sort of fey king or pagan god.

Mr. Bung

So many holes, so little time...
kiwifarms.net
Oh God, I remember there used to be a live-action show about insects that lived in a pond and there was a terrifying water bug who'd occasionally kill something. Scarred me for life.
Bugs that live under the water are some freaky shit that genuinely creepy me the fuck out. Though crayfish, lobsters and other crustaceans do not for some reason, despite their similarities to insects. I consider crabs cute.

I've seen those giant water bugs around here before. They're known as alligator fleas or toe biters, they arise from the waters at night to fly and walk the earth at times.

Sangria

I keep screaming but God doesn't hear me
kiwifarms.net
I discovered what a sea spider was yesterday
no.jpg

They're somewhat related to arachnids, though they aren't a member of that group. They're their own weird little thing.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I fucking love deep sea creatures and everything in the abyss, I used to read PBS' "Life in the Abyss" page all the time and look at the drawings and then surf the web trying to learn more. It's such a fascinating, alien layer of this earth that shows just how resilient Mother Nature is. These creatures evolved to withstand the pressure and lack of sunlight, and there's just so many species we just know very little about because of how hard it is to find them. They're "rare" for that reason, although we honestly don't know about the breeding population for many of these fishes.

My favorites are definitely the gulper eel (specifically the order Saccopharyngiformes, also check out how orange Neocyema is), vampire squid, the giant squid, and Dumbo octopus, but there's so many fish down there that I just enjoy learning about them whenever they come up. Alvin's unexpected discovery of the tubeworms in 1977 is still a beautiful video to study, they look so fragile but they live in such harsh conditions in peaceful harmony.

Now look at the snailfish that live 7,498-8,178 meters down in the Mariana Trench. Aren't they cute?

Also doses of carbon-14 from 1945's nuclear detonation has been found in the Mariana Trench. So you want some terror? Probably the closest to actual terrors from the deep that's not Mother Nature fucking with you.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember learning about the bigfin squid on TV long ago, and the horror has never quite worn off.
View attachment 1419667
Also keep in mind apparently those that have been recorded, dead or alive, aren't even full-grown adults.

I think the most bizarre deep sea creature is the superorganism siphonophore. 188 species have been recorded, and the biggest known siphonophore was discovered very recently looking like it came out of Uzumaki.

And this is the squidworm.

God has a strange sense of humor, or just likes breaking the rules to show off. Or both.

Tags
None