Inactive Terry A. Davis / Terrence Andrew Davis - Creator of TempleOS (formerly LoseThos/sparrowOS)

Doctor Stan

Fake Doctor
kiwifarms.net
It's never really gone away. They're a lot more selective about what parts of the brain they stimulate than they used to be, although it still has some of the negative effects like fucking up your memory. It's really not been the stereotypical brain wipe from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for decades. It's still near being a last resort for when absolutely nothing else works, but is more often used for depression than schizophrenia.
True, I'm not a psychologist, I don't even play one on TV. I'm also kind of shitfaced, but still, it interests me that this treatment seen as so barbaric that it is put side by side with the lobotomy that it's kind of shorthand for evil doctors in fiction is actually still going on, and not a first treatment option still is employed to trained professionals.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
A lot of things that have to do with the brain are actually still guesswork and not properly understood and will remain so for a long time. Many people are surprised to hear for example that ECT and antidepressants have in common that exact mechanism of action is not known. ECT is still highly controversial and there are no good long-term studies regarding it, although it seems like if it works (which isn't a given) it only does so temporarily and people tend to relapse.

The Wrath

kiwifarms.net
Is there an archive of Terry's videos from his early days on the road in his van? I'm really interested in re-watching some of those.